Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Aug 1975
    Gil Kane, Tom Palmer, John Romita sr

• Options
    ...boy, I really miss Gil Kane...
  • Options
    Agreed. So many of my favorite Marvel covers of that era were by Kane. (And so many on the DC side by Nick Cardy...)
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Dec. 1943: Today I'm going a little off beat with Harvey’s War Victory Adventures #3. The title started out as War Victory Comics, but changed to Adventures with the second issue. But, alas, issue #3 was the last of the series. Captain Red Cross makes his first and only appearance in this issue, both on the cover and in a four-page text story inside. Yes, that's right, the cover-feature was for a text-only story.

The Kirby-esque cover is by Al Avison, who had inked Kirby quite a bit before this, and had taken over as the penciler of Captain America from Kirby the previous year.

Bonus—the original art for the cover:

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Heart and Soul #1 (Mikeross Publications)
    Apr-May 1954
    Cover artists: Ross Andru & Mike Esposito

You can purchase this original art here
  • Options

Apr-May 1954

Great body language on the two figures, and nice details with the puddle of water and records on the floor. But that is one oddly shaped room. A prime example of cheating the perspective for the sake of the composition.
  • Options
    Popped up on my desktop today -- a Nick Cardy cover from 1974, with DC's analogue to Popeye, Captain Strong, punching out Supes...

• Options

Popped up on my desktop today -- a Nick Cardy cover from 1974, with DC's analogue to Popeye, Captain Strong, punching out Supes...

The first issue of Action Comics I owned. Don't have it anymore. It fell apart.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Apr-May 1954

Great body language on the two figures, and nice details with the puddle of water and records on the floor. But that is one oddly shaped room. A prime example of cheating the perspective for the sake of the composition.
    Indeed. That's one tiny apartment :)

• Options

Apr-May 1954

Indeed. That's one tiny apartment :)

A tiny wedge-shaped apartment.
  • Options

The first issue of Action Comics I owned. Don't have it anymore. It fell apart.

Got me wondering what the first Action was I owned!

This is the oldest I owned, but someone had to buy it for me I was so young... (from 1970 by Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson)

This is probably the earliest I picked myself (no big surprise with a gorilla) -- 1973 by Nick Cardy

And this one I read until it was indeed a rag. Didn't get to read the second part until many, many years later... (also 1973, Nick Cardy)

• Options
    Jan. 1944: It's time for another Planet Comics cover, this one by Joe Doolin. Doolin, born in 1896, started out painting covers and doing illustration for pulp magazines, and from 1941 to 1952, he worked in comics exclusively for Fiction House, where he soon became one of their top cover artists.

Doolin was a very good drawer, but his work often looks a bit stiff to me, mostly because of his inking. I think if he'd been paired with a good inker, his stuff would look a lot better. That said, I think this is his best comic book cover from what I've seen, as his use of blacks here is quite nice.

• Options
    Very Flash Gordon/John Carter --would've caught my attention on the stands!
  • Options

Very Flash Gordon/John Carter --would've caught my attention on the stands!

I thought the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if the swordsman was actually a swipe from a Raymond Flash Gordon strip.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I'm looking for my first purchased issue of Action.

I haven't found it yet, but I found a doozy:

May 1972. Nick Cardy. Glorious.
  • Options
    This was the first issue of Action I purchased off the spinner rack.

September '72. Cardy.
  • Options
    This was the next one I got:

February '73. More Cardy. More Popeye Captain Strong.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    One more:

June '74. Cardy. The man was brilliant. I love love love the smoke trail from the cigar.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I'm looking for my first purchased issue of Action.

I haven't found it yet, but I found a doozy:

May 1972. Nick Cardy. Glorious.

Wow! I had never seen that one before! Beautiful!

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    My first issue of Action:

• Options
    RobAndersonRobAnderson Posts: 553
    edited August 2015
    Here's what I was reading last night in my Masterworks volume. GCD says it's by Gil Kane, with John Romita Sr. "alterations."

It's the last issue in the Sons of the Serpent arc...and also contains the first installment of the Elf with a Gun! (And that sure looks like 1970's Roy Thomas to me...) If you don't know about the Elf with a Gun, here's an article (and where that page scan originated: bronzeageofblogs.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-elf-with-gun.html

• Options
    Feb. 1944: Jack Cole finally gets a nod with his cover for Police Comics #27, featuring not only his Plastic Man, but Eisner’s Spirit as well. While the Spirit strip reprinted inside was an older Eisner story, Cole was just finishing his run of ghostwriting and drawing The Spirit.

Great poses on Woozy and the hoodlum, and I love the bold, simple coloring and the graphic shapes of the background.

• Options
    Mar. 1944: A fairly weak bunch of covers this month, but this cover for Shadow Comics #36 is fairly interesting. I can't find an official credit, but it may be repurposed artwork by Vernon Greene, who illustrated many of the Shadow pulp magazines.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458

Here's what I was reading last night in my Masterworks volume. GCD says it's by Gil Kane, with John Romita Sr. "alterations."

It's the last issue in the Sons of the Serpent arc...and also contains the first installment of the Elf with a Gun! (And that sure looks like 1970's Roy Thomas to me...) If you don't know about the Elf with a Gun, here's an article (and where that page scan originated: bronzeageofblogs.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-elf-with-gun.html

I remember reading those issues and was convinced that I was missing something, that somehow I must of missed a clue or that the Elf must have appeared in another title.

Elf with a gun was absolutely brilliant as it was confusing and Steve Gerber was unapologetic about not giving a explanation. I do not think that any other writer then or now could have done something like "Elf with a gun" and gotten away with it, only Steve Gerber.
  • Options

October 1941: A lot of interesting covers this month, but none are more visually striking than Green Lantern #1 by Howard Purcell. The black background really makes the cover pop.

Purcell did a lot of work for DC over the years, including co-creating a few minor characters: Sargon the Sorcerer, the Gay Ghost, and the Enchantress. Not the greatest artist, but a good, solid artist who occasionally produced exceptional work.

This is one of my all-time favorite covers... The way those two figures are dancing around each other is really quite beautiful!
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

October 1941: A lot of interesting covers this month, but none are more visually striking than Green Lantern #1 by Howard Purcell. The black background really makes the cover pop.

Purcell did a lot of work for DC over the years, including co-creating a few minor characters: Sargon the Sorcerer, the Gay Ghost, and the Enchantress. Not the greatest artist, but a good, solid artist who occasionally produced exceptional work.

This is one of my all-time favorite covers... The way those two figures are dancing around each other is really quite beautiful!
    I remember that cover well -- when I was in high school, I saw that cover in a copy of Steranko's History Of Comics and I painstakingly copied it (via tracing paper and a grid system) onto poster board to hang in my bedroom. I always thought that was such a cool and dynamic cover layout.
  • Options
    Apr. 1944: Walt Kelly draws Walt Disney.

• Options

Tonebone said:

I remember that cover well -- when I was in high school, I saw that cover in a copy of Steranko's History Of Comics and I painstakingly copied it (via tracing paper and a grid system) onto poster board to hang in my bedroom. I always thought that was such a cool and dynamic cover layout.
    Because it looks like GL should be holding a sword, too, I wonder if the composition of the figures was copied from an earlier source.
  • Options

Apr. 1944: Walt Kelly draws Walt Disney.

Really beautiful and such great energy. Fun to see Walt Kelly on Disney. Thanks for posting that!
  • Options
    Continuing on with my Steve Gerber reading, here's the latest cover, pencils by Gil Kane, inks by John Romita, Sr., part of the Guardians of the Galaxy storyline, and featuring the first appearance inside of Starhawk.

The funny thing about this cover is it has a fairly big spoiler in that dialogue -- a reveal that doesn't occur until the NEXT issue, #28.

Although there was a fairly huge hint to it on page 6 of #27, it's still odd. (Scan of page 6 from the excellent Marvel Masterworks Resource Page. Credits on the interior page are Sal Buscema (layouts); Vince Colletta (finished art)