Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Hmm... Looks like that moment right before a befuddled super-powered boy allowed several citizens to fall to their deaths.

Well, to be fair to our seemingly oblivious hero, the citizens are “falling” up, not down.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Hey, it's October! So, what better time than to showcase some fun holiday-themed comic covers? They don't all have to be "classics"

Bart Simpson's Treehouse of Horror #4
    September 1998
    Cover: Matt Groening, Bill Morrison, Nathan Kane

• Options
    Feb. 1946: The second comic book appearance of Little Lulu—entirely written and drawn by John Stanley—Four Color #97. This issue marked the first appearance of Tubby’s gang, all created by Stanley (who had renamed Marge Buell’s Joe as Tubby in the first Little Lulu comic, Four Color #74).

• Options
    House of Secrets #125
    November 1974
    Cover artist: Luis Dominguez

Dominguez produced many covers for DC comics in the 1970's, particularly on their mystery/horror line, as well as on westerns such as Jonah Hex. While not as dynamic as more prolific artists such as Neal Adams or Bernie Wrightson, Dominguez did his share of stunning images, such as this one...

• Options
    Luis Dominguez Fun Fact: It was Dominguez who helped his fellow Argentine José Luis García-López get his samples seen by editors at DC comics when José moved to America in 1974.
  • Options
    Speaking of José Luis García-López, here's another fantastic horror cover for October by the very same.

House of Mystery #239
    March 1974

• Options
    RobAndersonRobAnderson Posts: 553
    edited October 2015
    In honor of the Dr. Strange Spotlight that Chris and Adam just did on the podcast, I thought I'd share a few Dr. Strange covers.

If anyone else is interested in playing along, what was the first Dr. Strange comic you owned? Or some fave Dr. Strange covers?

For me, this wasn't the first Dr. Strange comic I owned, but it was the first place I read his origin, along with two of his older stories -- Origins of Marvel Comics. I dug out my own copy for this scan!

Cover by John Romita, Sr. (as best I could find/tell):

The covers for the three stories contained therein (From Strange Tales #110, #115, and #155) didn't feature Dr. Strange on the cover... so instead I'll add the first issue I bought off the stands that featured Doctor Strange...which was actually a Defenders issue...and ALSO didn't have him on the cover (other than in the trade dress)...

Defenders #5 with pencils by Sal Buscema and inks by John Verpoorten

• Options
    For me, I was spoiled with my first copy of Doctor Strange #13, from April 1976

Eternity, the Ancient One, and Nightmare, along with Colan artwork and cover art. Been a fan of the Sorcerer Supreme ever since.

• Options
    @bralinator I never read that issue, but now I want to!!
  • Options
    Here's agreat cover I just came across. Have never seen any of this series before!
    This is Adventures into Weird Worlds #25, from 1954. Art by Joe Maneely.
    imageAIWW #25 photo a17372b9dd19d2348f3b59f54590d633_zpsvvsjhn30.jpg" />
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Michael Golden 1982 on the Doctor Strange cover.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Mar. 1946: I don't know the cover artist, but it's probably someone who worked for the Terrytoons animation studio (based in New Rochelle, N.Y.) rather than an Atlas artist. Regardless, it's a very well drawn cover with a nice color job and a nice composition, and it didn't have much in the way of competition.

• Options
    The earliest issue of Strange Tales I owned that cover-featured Doctor Strange was Strange Tales #121 -- though I didn't buy it off the stands. I picked it up at a flea market that my dad took me to, where I picked up a slew of great, older books...

Cover by Jack Kirby with inks by Sol Brodsky (upper image); Steve Ditko (bottom image)

• Options
    October covers continues...

X-Men #40
    January 1968
    Cover: George Tuska & Sam Rosen

• Options
    The Flintstones #33
    April 1966
    Cover art: No art/story credits given, although I am guessing Harvey Eisenberg. Perhaps @nweathington has some insight?

Gold Key turned up the awesome factor with their April 1966 issue of The Flintstones #33 by adding not only Frankenstein's monster and Dracula, but also the Wolf Man and The Mummy!

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
  • Options

The Flintstones #33
    April 1966
    Cover art: No art/story credits given, although I am guessing Harvey Eisenberg. Perhaps @nweathington has some insight?

Gold Key turned up the awesome factor with their April 1966 issue of The Flintstones #33 by adding not only Frankenstein's monster and Dracula, but also the Wolf Man and The Mummy!

I don't think it's Eisenberg. Eisenberg died in 1965, plus the poses aren't quite as expressive as Eisenberg’s usual work—though, admittedly, I haven't read much of his ’60s work, which was less detailed than his earlier work. But it's probably someone purposefully imitating his style.
  • Options
    One way I read a number of Doctor Strange back issues was via Marvel Treasury Edition #6.

I love this cover with Frank Brunner pencils and inks.

• Options

The Flintstones #33
    April 1966

I don't think it's Eisenberg. Eisenberg died in 1965, plus the poses aren't quite as expressive as Eisenberg’s usual work—though, admittedly, I haven't read much of his ’60s work, which was less detailed than his earlier work. But it's probably someone purposefully imitating his style.
    Of course. Thanks for the speedy and insightful response.
  • Options
    I've got that Marvel Treasury Edition. Those things were awesome!
  • Options
    @TheOriginalGMan Yeah, I love all the Treasury-sized books! I just picked up two DC ones as gifts for my nephews at Baltimore Comic Con. Maybe I can post those covers tonight.
  • Options
    This was an issue I bought off the stands, Doctor Strange #3 from September 1974. Loved the rendered of Dormammu here.

Frank Brunner pencils and inks.

• Options
    @TheOrginialGMan Here's the covers of the two treasuries I picked up for my nephews recently. I had the first one when I was a kid, but never had the second...

Pencils and inks by Dick Giordano

Pencils by Carmine Infantino (layout); Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez and by Bob Oksner

• Options

@TheOrginialGMan Here's the covers of the two treasuries I picked up for my nephews recently. I had the first one when I was a kid, but never had the second...

Pencils and inks by Dick Giordano

Pencils by Carmine Infantino (layout); Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez and by Bob Oksner

I had the second one and not the first.
  • Options
    @RobAnderson That's awesome! I've got the 1st one, but not the 2nd. Wish I had an uncle like you growing up! :smiley:
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited October 2015
    Marvel Treasury Edition #2 "The Fantastic Four" (Dec 1974) was my favorite Treasury Edition when I was a kid, primarily because of the back cover, which I thought was so cool looking. Something about it just grabbed me:

Here's the front as well:

Comic Vine says John Romita was the cover artist, and I think he did both the front and the back.

• Options
    @TheOriginalGMan I had and loved that one. Wish I had kept it.

@nweathington too funny, but you better believe I am reading them both before they're "gifted". ;)
  • Options

We should combine forces, @nweathington!

• Options
    A cross-over that was mentioned during the Dr. Strange Spotlight...

In May 1976, I was a HUGE Tomb of Dracula fan, so when the title crossed over with Doctor Strange, I was ALL over this one.

Beautiful cover by Gene Colan and Tom Palmer....

And here's the corresponding (first) part of the crossover, by the same talented art team:

• Options

We should combine forces, @nweathington!

Oh, I had a bunch of treasuries when I was a kid. Still have some of them, plus a few others I've picked up over the years.