Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    chrisw said:

Now I am a little surprised when I look back at the '90s, because I honestly didn't think there were many embarrassing trends going on, but they look pretty dated now as well. I hadn't realized just how damn bright the colors were back then (when we weren't wearing flannel from '92-'94).

Wait....

We were supposed to stop wearing flannel after '94?!

*checks closet...

Uhhhhh.. I think I need to go shopping....
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Early 90's had Zubas. 'Nuff Said.

(Yes, I had a pair...and wore them)

The mid to late 90's weren't so bad but that first half of the decade was pretty terrible.

• Options
    No one ever knows how dumb all the trends look when they're in the thick of them. Emo-hair seemed like a good idea to a lot of people 7-8 years ago.
  • Options
    Primer

It's on Netflix and it's an amazing film.

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Streaming from other than Netflix.

Introducing my son to The Usual Suspects.

I envy him the experience.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    WetRats said:

I watched the Rock's Hercules.

Not good, but entertaining.

Worth it for Ian McShane.

Caught this on Amazon Prime over the weekend.

It was... not what I expected. I was looking forward to Hercules fighting some big-ass monsters for an hour and a half. Instead, the film went out of its way to bring the character down to earth. I can understand an attempt to tell a more realistic version of the myth, but I also couldn't shake off the feeling that by doing so they saved themselves a lot of money.

Still, enjoyable for what it was.

Didn't CGS interview the guy behind the comic it was based on some years ago? Because I recall at the time feeling like the main reason he was publishing the comic was to get a movie deal. When I saw that info turn up in the credits, my first thought was "Oh well, good for him. Guess he got what he wanted."
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Finished the first 4 episodes (season 1) of "The Americans".

Love it.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    New season of Longmire drops tomorrow!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    WetRats said:

New season of Longmire drops tomorrow!

Been waiting for this.
  • Options
    Longmire season 4 is excellent so far
  • Options

Gerald McRaney's best role ever.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I've been watching The Fast & Furious movies on DVD lately (Tokyo Drift very underrated movie).
    Which led me to Hulu Plus and Initial D.

Also I started Season 6 of The League.
  • Options
    After watching about 150 hours of street racing movies and cartoons, I've decided I need a Lancer Evo.
    Jamming out to Gran Turismo 2 for the last 5 months has not helped my desire.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Gerald McRaney aka
    Barlow Connally
    Rick Simon
    Maj. John D. 'Mac' McGillis
    George Hearst
  • Options

WetRats said:

Gerald McRaney aka
    Barlow Connally
    Rick Simon
    George Hearst
    Yeah, he was pretty damned great in Deadwood, too.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Gerald McRaney aka
    Barlow Connally
    Rick Simon
    George Hearst
    Yeah, he was pretty damned great in Deadwood, too.
    One of those actors that I often forget has been pretty consistently employed for several decades. If you'd told me that back in the Simon & Simon and Major Dad days, I might not have believed you.
  • Options
    It's not Netflix, but I have a new favorite streaming channel on my Roku - the B-Movie Network. Just a live stream, and the closest thing to a schedule are their posts on their Facebook page, but if you're bored and just want to relive the days of tuning in a UHF channel to see a random, cheap horror/action/exploitation film, it's a lot of fun.

There are lots of great free on-demand cult movie channels on Roku. Now that I'm getting closer to dropping my cable, I'm discovering them all.
  • Options
    Keith Richards: Under the Influence
    Just added to queue, not watched yet. From the same director of 20 Feet from Stardom
  • Options

Keith Richards: Under the Influence
    Just added to queue, not watched yet. From the same director of 20 Feet from Stardom

This was a Netflix release I worked on. It was good, but a little fluffy. Less a life story more about Richards' influences. The establishing shot of NYC was taken from the top of the building I work in. Not nearly as engrossing as 20 Feet From Starrim though.
  • Options
    Well just finished one of the top 3 all-time cable movies.
    Road House.
    I love that movie.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Again, not Netflix...

From Amazon Prime, I quite enjoyed the pilot for Man in the High Castle and have been completely engaged with Bosch so far.

For those that aren't following the Amazon Prime originals, Man is an alternate history where the Axis won WWII and have no occupied all of North America.

Bosch is a crime drama with Titus Welliver. The titular character is a grizzled veteran detective with plenty of baggage. I like Welliver, and the supporting cast has been quite enjoyable.
  • Options
    Just finished Wolf of Wallstreet on Hulu. It's a pretty good movie
  • Options
    Just finished watching the most recent Justice League offerings, including the Gods & Monsters release. The two New 52 showings (Origin and Throne Of Atlantis) were dull as dishwater, in spite of a good voice cast; does nothing to win me over to the whole New52 DC, and only reminds me of why I dropped them all from my reading lists. (Still hate the 'hoodie' Shazam/Captain Marvel character.)

On the other hand, Gods & Monsters was terrific -- almost a breath of fresh air, even considering that it's an 'Elseworlds' version of the JLA -- or maybe because of it. A return to the Timmiverse look and designs, a more interesting story, some intriguing characters (and characterizations), some genuine story surprises, and we even get a version of the Metal Men! Great fun!
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Again, not Netflix...

From Amazon Prime, I quite enjoyed the pilot for Man in the High Castle and have been completely engaged with Bosch so far.

For those that aren't following the Amazon Prime originals, Man is an alternate history where the Axis won WWII and have no occupied all of North America.

Bosch is a crime drama with Titus Welliver. The titular character is a grizzled veteran detective with plenty of baggage. I like Welliver, and the supporting cast has been quite enjoyable.

My wife and I were happy to see Man in the High Castle get picked up for series. I wasn't surprised, it seemed unlikely they'd go to that level of effort for the pilot without assuming it would lead to something beyond.
  • Options
    My kids are loving the new Peabody and Sherman show.
  • Options
    KilmarockKilmarock Posts: 174
    Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey - I can't decide which of the Bill and Ted films I prefer, this one is a little more surreal than the first one

Roadracers - early Robert Rodriguez film starring David Arquette and Salma Hayek; great music other than that the movie is fun but not great

The Grifters - Anjelica Huston, Annette Benning, and John Cusack; not quite as good as I remembered it being but still well worth a watch

The Endless Summer - very dated, didn't care for the narration, should have watched it muted, there is some great footage of surfing

Von Ryan's Express - Frank Sinatra in a remake of the Great Escape on a train in Italy; pretty good although not great

Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau - I think the title says it all but this about the making of the Brando/Kilmer version of the Island of Dr. Moreau, riveting, loved it
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Watching season one of iZombie. I love it.
  • Options
    Watched Back To The Future for the first time in nearly 30 years on Amazon Prime. They have all three of them until the end of October.

I never had cable as a kid, so I never experienced the repeated viewings that made this such a touchstone for people my age, but I can see why it was so well-regarded. I'm guilty of letting my attention drift to my cellphone or laptop during even the best home viewings these days, but I was glued to the screen for the full two hours.

And even though some of those '80s films are dated, I still appreciate the fact that even in a high concept film like this, they take the time to flesh out the characters. That gets lots a lot in today's effects driven films. You can do both.
  • Options
    Kilmarock said:

The Grifters - Anjelica Huston, Annette Benning, and John Cusack; not quite as good as I remembered it being but still well worth a watch

Von Ryan's Express - Frank Sinatra in a remake of the Great Escape on a train in Italy; pretty good although not great

Haven't seen The Grifters in over 20 years. I've always had the feeling it would feel very much of its time, that sort of '90s indie kind of thing.

Years ago I read a review of Von Ryan's Express that said "Sinatra runs like a man whose used to being driven around in limousines." So every time I see Sinatra attempt action in a film, that's the first thing that comes to mind.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

Kilmarock said:

Years ago I read a review of Von Ryan's Express that said "Sinatra runs like a man whose used to being driven around in limousines." So every time I see Sinatra attempt action in a film, that's the first thing that comes to mind.
    That's like what heard about Sorkin. He writes office dialogue like man who never worked in office but desperately wants too. So yep that pretty much ruined his movies and TV shows.

On a positive note we still have Mike Judge.