Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Warner Bros Developing BOOSTER GOLD/BLUE BEETLE Movie

Paging Mr. @ShaneKelly. Mr. @ShaneKelly, you have a call on line #1 ...

comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=125184
The Tracking Board reveals that Booster Gold and Blue Beetle are set to star in a movie together, news which hardly comes as a surprise considering the fact that Warner Bros. has been flirting with some sort of adaptation featuring the characters for years now. Blue Beetle very nearly got his own series during the Smallville days, while there was serious talk of a Booster Gold show on SyFy for a while not too long ago. The studio clearly feels that they're better suited to the big screen though, and Arrow and The Flash regular Greg Berlanti is set to direct and executive produce.

Comments

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Now this is DC movie news I can get excited about!
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    edited September 2015
    WetRats said:

Now this is DC movie news I can get excited about!

Update:

The movie will be called "Booster V Beetle: The Death of Bwah"

(Although the "Bwah" is not translating well to some of the foreign language markets, so in China, the subtitle will be different, and roughly translates to "Eat your Buddies", and in France they are going with "The Day the Clowns Cried".)

Goyer is writing. Snyder will be the EP.

;)
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    To be real, though. This is a fun prospect. Here's hoping.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Couple things:

- no mention of which Blue Beetle. I'm betting it'll be the Reyes kid instead of Kord (which will reduce Shaner's interest.) The notion & images are of Booster & Kord, but last I heard DC likes him dead

- if it is Reyes, I would hope they had a better budget for the suit then the Big Bad (Blue) Beetle Borg suit from the Smallville episode

M
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited September 2015
    Matt said:

Couple things:

- no mention of which Blue Beetle. I'm betting it'll be the Reyes kid instead of Kord (which will reduce Shaner's interest.) The notion & images are of Booster & Kord, but last I heard DC likes him dead

M

For a character that I have no real history with the death of Ted Kord still pisses me off.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,635
    @david_d Didnt i hear Frank Miller is also a producer?
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Dolph Lundren is rumored for the Booster Gold role.
    Matt said:

Couple things:

- if it is Reyes, I would hope they had a better budget for the suit then the Big Bad (Blue) Beetle Borg suit from the Smallville episode

M

I would be surprised if this wasn't Ted Kord.

The character dynamic of the successful, relatively straight-laced Kord and the ambitious, charismatic, ne'er-do-well Booster would form a really strong core for a film.

Both roles can be cast completely color/ethnicity-blind as well.

Berlanti's name attached to the project is SUCH a good thing. He has really established himself as someone who understands what makes DC superheroes work.
    This looks like a test by DC Entertainment.

The Berlanti-driven shows have gotten great ratings, are loved by the critics, and have been embraced by the fans. Snyder's films have had mediocre box office, been savaged by critics, and generally disliked by the fans. This cannot have gone unnoticed at Warners.

Booster & Beetle (Super Buddies?) will probably be a modestly-budget film, and--if successful--could lead to an ascendance of creators who love traditional superheroes as DCE.
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Couple things:

M

I would be surprised if this wasn't Ted Kord.

The character dynamic of the successful, relatively straight-laced Kord and the ambitious, charismatic, ne'er-do-well Booster would form a really strong core for a film.

Both roles can be cast completely color/ethnicity-blind as well.

Berlanti's name attached to the project is SUCH a good thing. He has really established himself as someone who understands what makes DC superheroes work.
    I can easily, easily see them merging Kord & Reyes, with the kid being the dominant character. It's been done before. The people on this forum would know what was done. Joe Shmoe, non-comic book reader wouldn't know the difference.

M
    WetRats said:

This looks like a test by DC Entertainment.

The Berlanti-driven shows have gotten great ratings, are loved by the critics, and have been embraced by the fans. Snyder's films have had mediocre box office, been savaged by critics, and generally disliked by the fans. This cannot have gone unnoticed at Warners.

Booster & Beetle (Super Buddies?) will probably be a modestly-budget film, and--if successful--could lead to an ascendance of creators who love traditional superheroes as DCE.

I think your assessment of the pertinent Snyder films. He's only had two released so; Watchmen & MoS.

From what I gather, non-comic book fans cared less for Watchmen then comic book fans. I actually haven't heard a lot of fans bash it. The lack of non-comic book fans going to the theaters hurt that one.

Man of Steel seemed the reverse. I've heard more non-comic book fans enjoyed the movie. That's where the success of these movies lie.

That's why I think this paragraph is questionable:

"The Berlanti-driven shows have gotten great ratings, are loved by the critics, and have been embraced by the fans. Snyder's films have had mediocre box office, been savaged by critics, and generally disliked by the fans. This cannot have gone unnoticed at Warners."

Plus, even if BvS:DoJ looks like the live action Transformers movies, it'll still garner revenue at the box office. Those movies didn't receive positive reviews by critics. I theorize the studios care more about the profits then reviews & if fanboys like the movie as much as the general movie goer.

M

• HexHex Posts: 944
    edited September 2015
    Dear God... Please do not let this be a red herring.
    My favourite thing about DC is absolutely Booster and Beetle.

(and that was long before it was retconned that Booster was Canadian).
    Matt said:

"The Berlanti-driven shows have gotten great ratings, are loved by the critics, and have been embraced by the fans. Snyder's films have had mediocre box office, been savaged by critics, and generally disliked by the fans. This cannot have gone unnoticed at Warners."

Note the word "generally".

I stand by my paragraph.
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

I stand by my paragraph.
    I'll stand by my post; the two movies of importance had different reviews, revenue, & opinions by fans. The one with a more general audience generated more profit. Any appeasement of fanboys is just a bonus.

Snyder is helming 4 of the cornerstones of the DCCU. I'm not buying Berlanti's hire is in response to 2 currently released movies.

M
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

I stand by my paragraph.
    I'll stand by my post; the two movies of importance had different reviews, revenue, & opinions by fans. The one with a more general audience generated more profit. Any appeasement of fanboys is just a bonus.

Snyder is helming 4 of the cornerstones of the DCCU. I'm not buying Berlanti's hire is in response to 2 currently released movies.

M
    The Berlanti film, is probably three years away.

By then, several more of the Snyderverse films will have come and gone.

This is long-term planning on the part of DCE and a hedging of bets against the failure or "failure" of the current direction.

Man of Steel, like Amazing Spider-Man 2, was a "failure" in the sense that it did not have the level of success the studio expected, and thus did not earn a proper sequel. Clearly, at this point DCE is still betting hundreds of millions on Snyder's vision, and are committed, but letting Berlanti have a shot with a couple of minor characters is a smart gamble on their part, as well as a nice reward for his so-far-resounding success with the TV properties.
    Matt said:

I can easily, easily see them merging Kord & Reyes, with the kid being the dominant character. It's been done before. The people on this forum would know what was done. Joe Shmoe, non-comic book reader wouldn't know the difference.

M

Jaime Reyes is too strong a character concept to dilute by merging him with the Ted Kord template.

The Ted/Booster dynamic is too strong to dilute by replacing Ted with a kid.
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

I stand by my paragraph.

M
    The Berlanti film, is probably three years away.

By then, several more of the Snyderverse films will have come and gone.

This is long-term planning on the part of DCE and a hedging of bets against the failure or "failure" of the current direction.

Man of Steel, like Amazing Spider-Man 2, was a "failure" in the sense that it did not have the level of success the studio expected, and thus did not earn a proper sequel. Clearly, at this point DCE is still betting hundreds of millions on Snyder's vision, and are committed, but letting Berlanti have a shot with a couple of minor characters is a smart gamble on their part, as well as a nice reward for his so-far-resounding success with the TV properties.
    If this movie came out 3 years from now, that puts it right between JLA pt 1 & pt 2. By that point, Snyder will have had BvS:DoJ & JLA pt. 1. Even if their reviews mirror Transformers, with the characters to be in those movies, I would be surprised they didn't hover around $1 billion. Both will be breaking new ground, character wise.

We've already seen Suicide Squad is going to be in the same vein. These are the same vein, from what I've heard, as the comic books. Barring flops, they're in this for the long haul.

And don't forget, AoU was considered a disappointment at the box office by Disney.

M
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

Jaime Reyes is too strong a character concept to dilute by merging him with the Ted Kord template.

Here's the flaw with that train of thought; that's the versions of the characters we the comic book readers know to be their representations. The general movie goer has no clue if the two Beetles were merged & represented as Reyes. These are going to be new characters to the audience that'll make this project successful. And as I mentioned, if DC won't bring Kord back in the comic books, why would they in live action as Beetle?

M
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

Here's the flaw with that train of thought; that's the versions of the characters we the comic book readers know to be their representations. The general movie goer has no clue if the two Beetles were merged & represented as Reyes. These are going to be new characters to the audience that'll make this project successful. And as I mentioned, if DC won't bring Kord back in the comic books, why would they in live action as Beetle?

M
    I'm firmly in the Ted camp (pun intended). Jaime may be a strong character concept, but I utterly hate the new costume/suit thing that they did with the scarab.
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

M
    Golly, Matt, you're usually the one who can't wrap his head around changing characters for new media...
    :tongue:
    It could wind up Kord, but I just have this feeling they'll stick with the version of the character being pushed.

M
    Matt said:

It could wind up Kord, but I just have this feeling they'll stick with the version of the character being pushed.

M

You seem to believe that DC Comics is actually a driving force in the development of these projects.

I believe the comics division has become the farm team for the greater DC Entertainment, and has no real influence on what properties are developed.
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

You seem to believe that DC Comics is actually a driving force in the development of these projects.

I believe the comics division has become the farm team for the greater DC Entertainment, and has no real influence on what properties are developed.
    Not as much as I believe there's a greater market with 2 diverse characters then 2 that "lookalike". You can get more mileage with Reyes.

M
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

Not as much as I believe there's a greater market with 2 diverse characters then 2 that "lookalike". You can get more mileage with Reyes.

M
    There's no reason Ted & Michael have to "look alike".
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

M
    Whose to say they couldn't have Carter & Reyes but with Jaime adopting more of Kord's personality? Better tie-ins with merchandising.

M
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

M
    Whose to say they couldn't have Carter & Reyes but with Jaime adopting more of Kord's personality? Better tie-ins with merchandising.

M
    How so?
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,635
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

M

M
    How so?
    Well you get a white guy and a non-white guy toys.
    After Universal studios had the biggest year in history (2015) on really diverse movies and casts, you know every studio is going to try to copy it. Beatle's going to be composite Reyes
    mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

M

M
    How so?
    Well you get a white guy and a non-white guy toys.
    After Universal studios had the biggest year in history (2015) on really diverse movies and casts, you know every studio is going to try to copy it. Beatle's going to be composite Reyes
    I was looking at the merchandise featuring the Reyes Beetle is out there; toys, ads, shirts, etc. it's the same version as in the comics.

Now, if Kord & Reyes had basically the same costume, they could skate with Kord. Keeping with the look of what's out there & the hopes of cross-media, Reyes makes more sense.

M
    Matt said:

I was looking at the merchandise featuring the Reyes Beetle is out there; toys, ads, shirts, etc. it's the same version as in the comics.

Gosh, Matt, now that you mention it, every person I've ever seen wearing a Blue Beetle t-shirt in the grocery store was wearing a Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle t-shirt.

Oh.

Wait.

I've NEVER seen anybody wearing a Blue Beetle t-shirt in the grocery store.
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Gosh, Matt, now that you mention it, every person I've ever seen wearing a Blue Beetle t-shirt in the grocery store was wearing a Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle t-shirt.

Oh.

Wait.

I've NEVER seen anybody wearing a Blue Beetle t-shirt in the grocery store.
    So it has been common for people to wear comic book character t-shirts (aside from Batman & Kent) the last 10 years? It's probably become more so with the success of the genre. If the cartoons, general DC merchandise & Teen Titans specific merchandise features images of Reyes...wouldn't it make more sense to continue that with the movie?

Don't think small potatoes with the grocery store.

M