Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ghostbusters (2016) | Movie News/ Discussion *Now Spoilers*

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    David_D said:

batlaw said:

I don't think I see where anyone suggested something was prohibited.
    No, just passive aggressively implied certain opinions are unwelcome and less "evolved" than others.
    If that is what you want to read into it, that is your choice. Though it was not in what I actually typed, or feel. I made no value judgments. Nor said that something was unwelcome.

Rather, I added my own opinion to the mix that, when it comes to this movie, it seems the rush to thumbs down is coming faster than usual. Maybe that is how the hype cycle has picked up speed. But I feel like we at least get a first trailer before we know what something is enough to know that we hate it. But, so it goes.

That's an interesting take. I don't remember seeing this kind of moderator response on the Star Wars discussions where that project was generally being universally hailed before anyone even saw a first trailer. There were several concerns being voiced regarding JJ Abrams aesthetic, concerns about messing with a classic property, or Disney's decision making in general. But perhaps since most people were hopeful, I guess it wasn't an issue. Not the same with this Ghostbusters project.

Kind of a double-standard, no?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited December 2015
    @bralinator I'm sure I could cut and paste this from the last time we did this.

Not all my responses are "Moderator Responses". As I have said to you a number of times before, when I am speaking about something from the moderator point of view, I think it is always very clear. It happens pretty rarely. And I think everyone knows the difference, including you. You just choose to pretend that I am moderating instead of giving my own opinion when it suits you. So that a discussion about something else can become an accusation of unfairness that I am then expected to defend against. It is a transparent tactic. And it's gotten pretty old. Clearly no one was being told they couldn't do something.

What I gave, which I think is clear to anyone, is my own opinion.

My opinion is that there is a fast rush to judgment on this one. Faster than usual. And is there a fast positive rush to judgment sometimes? Sure.

Though I, personally, and let me make this really clear that means I am talking for me and not moderating (did you catch that pronoun?) have a higher threshold of scrutiny when it comes to negativity than positivity.

I think there should be more evidence for a dismissing something we haven't seen than for being up for giving it a try.

Because the latter, in my experience, is more likely to result in further investigation. And the former usually results in looking for justification of calling it crap early.

And I would say that an early judgment of, 'well, I won't say it is crap, but doesn't look like my cuppa, as Jamie would say, is somewhere in the middle.

So that is my opinion on the difference. Mine. Me. My. Personally. Speaking for myself. That more clear?

And, clearly, no one is saying you *can't* rush to judge however you want to. Though others of us can also have the opinion that some things get called dead before arrival pretty quick.
  • Options
    Matt said:

I want to make sure I'm clear here, I wasn't bashing a movie I haven't seen. I'm familiar with 2 of the 4 (& know Hemsworth can be funny too) not to question if it'll be flat. I just questioned Wiig's promo poster as it wasn't something I'd seen from her before.

M

I don't think you were bashing.
  • Options
    It wasn't perfectly clear or the question wouldn't have been posed. The comments so far sounded like normal forum discussion which I'm convinced is certainly welcome. Just getting some clarification.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    BleekPast said:

I think that they ain't afraID of no ghosts! image

Do not like this look. The stripes look weird. Like a jail uniform or something.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    From my own perspective, it may be a genuinely funny movie, but my own personal taste runs counter to Kristen Wiig or Melissa McCarthy. Best case, I'll catch it on Netflix or HBO... provided that it gets good feedback that isn't dependent upon either of the two aforementioned performers.
  • Options
    There may some truth the the adage that every movie is somebody's favorite. Even the recent Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 earned over twice its budget and it reached an overall audience score of 35% who liked it on RottenTomatoes.
  • Options
    Better express our opinions now since the world will be ending this Sunday, according to an alien staying at the Holiday Inn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiiuc0M4L40
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited February 2016
    I work in the mining industry and our millwrights and mechanics wear similar overalls with stripes in the same spot. The center stripes are a reflective material for night time visibility. It looks like their uniforms are something that they just grabbed off the rack at a store that sells work clothes.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDIf2RizZxA

You will take what they give you and like it...
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I hope this coming trailer does something to ease my dread I have about this movie.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I thought the trailer was pretty funny. Hopefully the movie is too.
  • Options
    For me it's still 'meh'.

I was kind of hoping the trailer might contain a few jokes I found funny, but it looks like a basic rehash of the original. I think I counted 4 or more complete duplicates of the original film. Good news is that it looks like it has more barf so at least newbies to the property and pre-teens should still be somewhat entertained.
  • Options
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Already looks better than Ghostbusters 2.
  • Options
    Brack said:

Already looks better than Ghostbusters 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_GPiwqmUiA

Hmm.. I have to admit, upon rewatching it, I actually chuckled a couple of times at the 1989 sequel's trailer, but I hope we aren't using Ghostbusters 2 as a benchmark of whether or not this 2016 reboot is genuinely funny or not.
  • Options
    I actually like Ghostbusters 2. Though that may have to do with being 7 when it came out and already being a Ghostbusters super-nerd...

Didn't see much in the trailer that landed for me, but maybe they're just saving the good stuff for the actual movie. They certainly did with "Spy". But it was awkward the way they muddied whether or not it was a sequel or reboot. They went out of their way to make it look like it takes place in the same universe as the original, but have been vocal to the opposite.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Despite my constant and vocal condemnation of this thing, I have honestly secretly hoped I would be surprised or impressed or encouraged or optimistic. Nope.
  • Options
    Ick... This will be a hard pass, for me.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    batlaw said:

Despite my constant and vocal condemnation of this thing, I have honestly secretly hoped I would be surprised or impressed or encouraged or optimistic. Nope.

A pessimist's greatest hope is to always be proved wrong.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    edited March 2016
    99% of remakes are awful and this trailer doesn't make me think this movie will be the 1%.

And me personally I have never thought Melissa whatever here name is has ever been funny I have never liked any of her movies. And I feel the same way with Kristen Wig as well.

So for me it was always going to be a tough sell because I don't find the 2 leads funny. It isn't my Ghostbusters but if you enjoy it then go right ahead and enjoy it. It isn't like this movie is erasing the original from existence.
  • Options
    Fan edit makes a good argument that it's just a poorly cut trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IDXpOX0Cp0
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    REL FanCUT: It's definitely an improvement, I will concede that.

Looks like they cut nearly 2 minutes out of yesterday's trailer to get there though...
  • Options

REL FanCUT: It's definitely an improvement, I will concede that.

Looks like they cut nearly 2 minutes out of yesterday's trailer to get there though...

A lot of that has to do with a lot of unnecessary character introduction that can be left to the film itself, when presumably it'll happen more naturally. While that original GB trailer you posted pretty much gives away all the story beats, it never bothers introducing the characters, character by character.

Instead it was happy to basically go " IT'S THOSE TWO GUYS YOU LIKED FROM SNL and a couple of other guys". Which is probably all this needed too. Just get over the plot and that it's got McCarthy and Wiig in it. Shame trailer narrators are passé too.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    It doesn't look bad. What I don't get is that is this a reboot? I ask this because for what seems to be a reboot, the beginning of the trailer leans on nostalgia a lot. Are we to guessing that this quartet is the first group of Ghostbusters or are they taking over from the originals?
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

It doesn't look bad. What I don't get is that is this a reboot? I ask this because for what seems to be a reboot, the beginning of the trailer leans on nostalgia a lot. Are we to guessing that this quartet is the first group of Ghostbusters or are they taking over from the originals?

I get the feeling they have been cagey about that on purpose-- given that it is already public that several of the living original leads have cameos in the film, it leaves the question open as to whether these are Muppet Movie-esque cameos where they are just showing up in fun, small, stand-alone bits, or whether they are actually there to play their original characters (if only briefly).
  • Options
    David_D said:

jaydee74 said:

I get the feeling they have been cagey about that on purpose-- given that it is already public that several of the living original leads have cameos in the film, it leaves the question open as to whether these are Muppet Movie-esque cameos where they are just showing up in fun, small, stand-alone bits, or whether they are actually there to play their original characters (if only briefly).
    I could see them coming back as a fun cameo. Ghost versions of themselves maybe.