Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Rogue One

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

Also, may I say, jokes aside-- I sort of don't want them to make too many movies that are outside of the main episodes. As, to me, Star Wars- despite the titular wars- is actually a saga about a particular, fated, family. It is not like Lord of the RIngs, that is a sort of pretend history of a war. It is a story about the Skywalker family, that intertwines with this huge, high stakes time for the universe.

And therefore a Yoda movie, a Boba Fett movie, or even this Rogue One movie, are basically ancilarry. They are off of the spine of what Star Wars is.

... But who am I fooling? I will be there to watch them the first day. And be psyched that I am getting more Star Wars (even if it is stretched out, cashed-in Star Wars).

This is one of those rare times when I am in complete disagreement with you.

My favorite Star Wars novels were the ones that shoved the Skywalkers and Solos off into the corner and focused on the other characters who were doing the real work while Luke, Leia & Han were getting all the glory.

I'm thrilled to see a film that does just this.

The constant focus on one family makes the Star Wars Universe seem small. This approach opens it up and makes it bigger.
    And when it comes to novels or comics, I am totally up for that. But to me there is a difference when it comes to the movies. And, I know that is slicing things finely. It is, I will admit, a very First World Concern.

To me, all the novels and comics have been ancillary. So I don't mind that they go for the sideline characters or fill out the corners of the universe. The same goes for the current Rebels cartoon for me, I don't mind that the whole first season only has a few moments of a Skywalker family member in it.

But the movies have always been the saga of that family. And soon that will no longer be the case. And, of course, I will be there for them. But I think they are crossing a line in the sand that goes from this being a family saga, to being basically a cinematic universe of characters.

• Options
    I've got to agree with @WetRats here. Star Wars has had an extremely successful expanded universe that has nothing or little to do with the Skywalker saga. Just look at the majority of Clone Wars or Rebels. I think that it should remain a large part and focus of the main series, but seeing big budget side adventures will be fun. I'm not sure they should all be gap fillers, but it's a good place to start the "Anthology" series and has a great premise to work with.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

But the movies have always been the saga of that family. And soon that will no longer be the case. And, of course, I will be there for them. But I think they are crossing a line in the sand that goes from this being a family saga, to being basically a cinematic universe of characters.

I think that line should have been crossed a long time ago...

;)

BTW: speaking of making the universe too small, I am so glad we're not going back to Tatooine again. It was supposed to be a backwater!
  • Options
    edited April 2015

I've got to agree with @WetRats here. Star Wars has had an extremely successful expanded universe that has nothing or little to do with the Skywalker saga. Just look at the majority of Clone Wars or Rebels. I think that it should remain a large part and focus of the main series, but seeing big budget side adventures will be fun. I'm not sure they should all be gap fillers, but it's a good place to start the "Anthology" series and has a great premise to work with.

This is nit-picky of me, but Clone Wars is, more than anything, stories of Anakin during the Clone Wars. Sure, there were some episodes that he (or Padme) did not appear in. So it wasn't exclusively about that family. But I would guess a majority of episodes did have either he or Pamde, so that puts them on the spine of the family saga. (Even if Clone Wars as a series did not move the family story along very much).
  • Options
    David_D said:

This is nit-picky of me, but Clone Wars is, more than anything, stories of Anakin during the Clone Wars. Sure, there were some episodes that he (or Padme) did not appear in. So it wasn't exclusively about that family. But I would guess a majority of episodes did have either he or Pamde, so that puts them on the spine of the family saga. (Even if Clone Wars as a series did not move the family story along very much).
    But it wasn't afraid to explore other areas of the universe, and those episodes that he was missing or played a smaller, supporting role were frequently some of the show's best. And Rebels has taken that ball and run with it.

I just want to make clear that I think the Skywalker saga is and should be the narrative thread that holds the main series and the universe as a whole together. I'm just saying that there is room for other stories too, and if they're good there is no reason they shouldn't just shut up and take my money.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

Seems like they're doing what both of us want: Skywalker Saga in the odd years, universe expansion in the even years.

Yay!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    WetRats said:

I tried to listen to a Star Wars audiobook, and stopped because of the sound effects and music.

To me, those effects helped enhance the various books.
  • Options
    David_D said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

I tried to listen to a Star Wars audiobook, and stopped because of the sound effects and music.

That part definitely took me some getting used to. I finally just told myself to pretend that it was an old-timey radio drama, and that helped.
    I didn't have a problem with the sfx and music at all. I don't listen to a Star Wars book expecting sparkling prose and interesting use of language, so I don't find it to be a distraction. The music and sfx are a big part of what makes Star Wars Star Wars for me anyway. Plus, before I ever listened to an audio book of any kind, I listened to the NPR Star Wars radio adaptations, so I just look at the audio books as an extension of that.

All that being said, I haven't listened to many Star Wars audio books, but Darth Plagueis is far and away the best of the few I have.
    I guess for me it just took some warming up to the format as I was so used to audiobooks that were pure narration. With the text driving everything, and simply the vocal performance creating everything, including the atmosphere. The first SW book I tried, the opening with the music was fun, but when suddenly there were also sound effects, including a constant background noise that sounded like a ships engines or something, it was a lot at once. At least, for me. But I am glad I stuck with it, as there have been several I have enjoyed now, and the format and atmospherics is just what I have come to expect as part of the experience.
    It took me a few to get used to them as well.

I'm current,y on a Star Wars audiobook journey. From Old Republic to Post-Jedi.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Looks great!

Agreed!

It looks very different from the actual saga films, but I think that is actually a good thing. I feel like, if they are going to do these anthology one-off stories, then each of them should have a distinct look and feel. From what I can tell, Rogue One is basically a gritty, mud-soaked, WW2 spy story. And this basically looks like that.

I also hope (and expect) that these stories are going to be one-and-done. Which would be a nice difference. Sure, we will get time with characters we know, but I like that this is, primarily, the story of a Rebel hero we have never heard of before, and it can be her complete story. The legend of her, and what she did. And we get the whole thing told in one feature. I'm down for that.
  • Options
    Is this based off the "many Bothans died.." line? If so I wonder if they'll attempt to make them look how they're described in the novels.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Is this based off the "many Bothans died.." line? If so I wonder if they'll attempt to make them look how they're described in the novels.

That was the second Death Star.

(I have made that same mistake myself, and of course, that comes to mind when you see Mon Mothma, since she gives that line such weight).
  • Options
    David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

That was the second Death Star.

(I have made that same mistake myself, and of course, that comes to mind when you see Mon Mothma, since she gives that line such weight).
    Ahhh, yes, thank you.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I look forward to seeing Vader's appearance in this.
  • Options
    When I saw this..

My first thought was, "A Grand Admiral!" ...I guess the prevailing wisdom is that he's actually a part of the ISB (Imperial Security Bureau).
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    This teaser was both the best and worst thing today. Best because I loved it and can't wait. Worst because I read the YouTube comments. I mean it must be rough that some fans are hurt that the fourth major female character was added to a 40 year old franchise.
  • Options
    DAR said:

I mean it must be rough that some fans are hurt that the fourth major female character was added to a 40 year old franchise.

Just wait until they find out Poe Dameron is gay... ouch!

• Options
    DAR said:

This teaser was both the best and worst thing today. Best because I loved it and can't wait. Worst because I read the YouTube comments. I mean it must be rough that some fans are hurt that the fourth major female character was added to a 40 year old franchise.

I watched the trailer and immediately thought, "another female lead? The Internet is going to love this"
  • Options
    So can we also expect Boba Fett, Biggs, and possibly even Han and Chewie in this?

Anyone else think the female lead here going to turn out to be Rey's mom?
  • Options

That would be interesting.

• Options
    My only negative is that I had to explain to quote a few people that this was "not another Death Star".
  • Options

So can we also expect Boba Fett, Biggs, and possibly even Han and Chewie in this?

I really hope she doesn't turn out to be Rey's mom. Both because I feel the family saga stuff should be in the numbered episodes, and I think it would be strong enough for this new character to be the hero who stole the Death Star plans, and that is the whole reason for her legend. And also so that not every woman in the movies has to be a hero AND a birther of Jedi.

As for who we'll see- I expect Vader, Emperor, a young Leia. Probably a young Han but I feel like that would be Easter-Eggy, or maybe he crosses paths with the lead before she in in with the Rebellion. I hope no Boba Fett (they have shoehorned him in too much already). It would be interesting if we got a flesh and blood version of one of the Rebels from the animated series, but I doubt it. They seem to like to keep those worlds separate.

And fingers crossed for a young General Madine. Maybe we get to watch him pick up his little pointer stick for the first time.
  • Options
    And I know somebody who is hoping for more Nien Nubb.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    David_D said:

As for who we'll see- I expect Vader, Emperor, a young Leia. Probably a young Han but I feel like that would be Easter-Eggy, or maybe he crosses paths with the lead before she in in with the Rebellion. I hope no Boba Fett (they have shoehorned him in too much already). It would be interesting if we got a flesh and blood version of one of the Rebels from the animated series, but I doubt it. They seem to like to keep those worlds separate.

And fingers crossed for a young General Madine. Maybe we get to watch him pick up his little pointer stick for the first time.

I also think we'll see Vader, and the Emperor. Very likely to see Tarkin. I'm not sure about young Leia or Han. Leia could use some backstory and would be great to have her played by Carrie Fisher's daughter, Billie Lourd. Still, it's a stretch. I would expect to see Senator Organa making an appearance, as well as some of the rebel pilots from the original Star Wars, including Biggs Darklighter and Wedge Antilles.

As for Kana or Ezra from Rebels, it is doubtful, but I think it'd be pretty cool and seems like a no-brainer, but who know? I could easily see them showing Ahsoka Tano, but I have the feeling this is going to be less about the jedi or the Force than any of the saga, numbered films.

I am guessing Boba Fett would feel forced, but Disney is still discussing a standalone film for him, and bounty hunters aren't loyal to either side. Perhaps we'll see IG-88, Greedo, Bossk, 4-Lom, Dengar, or Zuckuss instead. Finally, I think C3PO and R2D2 are a given as well.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    photo images_zps8h9vwpii.jpg

The new poster.