Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1616 Talkback - 2016 San Diego Comic-Con Recap

The Con-of-all-Cons has come and gone, and Pants was there! Hear the full account of his experiences at Comic-Con International 2016 in San Diego, interspersed with news items and announcements from the con. Plus a sidebar (with SPOILERS) on the controversial Batman: The Killing Joke animated movie, and a can't-miss 'Pants on the Floor' with Julie Benson and good ol' Uncle Sal. (The secret word is 'Stegron'!) (1:26:11)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited July 2016
    Great episode! I'm a new listener (as of about a month ago), and thoroughly enjoy the show.

Really enjoyed Pants' Comic Con report and audio segments. I now realize I need to immediately start listening to every Uncle Sal episode in the archives. What a character!

Thanks again for another fun & informative episode!
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Will download tonight. Pants con coverage and Uncle Sal!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Ugh, @Adam_Murdough had to bring up the Ego thing, lol. Man, I hope that isn't true. I'm not sure whats worse, Ego being Starlord's father or the idea Ego can shift from a planet into humanoid form. Of all the characters they had to pick from they chose Ego? WHY?? The sad part is I've always thought Ego was one of the coolest cosmic characters Marvel has. I would have been overjoyed to have him in a movie..but not like this.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Of all the characters they had to pick from they chose Ego? WHY??

Good question. As one of the few people on planet Earth who thoroughly disliked the first "Guardians" movie, it looks like everyone involved with it is stomping down on the gas pedal when it comes to The Zany. Don't get me wrong...I love Marvel Studios' clever use of humor in all of their films, but when it becomes the motivating force of a film (as it was for Guardians), it undermines the rest of their output. If Guardians was its own self-contained thing, no problem. It is what it is. But when (not "if") they combine the Guardians with the Avengers for the Infinity War movies, they're going to have a big tonal problem on their hands when it comes to The Zany. In other words, no room for dance-off challenges.

EGO seems like an indication Guardians 2 is going for the camp jugular. Yes, Ego is a big, beloved part of Marvel's rich cosmology, and could possibly be used in a live action film...but as the father of Starlord? I dunno.

• Options

Mr_Cosmic said:

Of all the characters they had to pick from they chose Ego? WHY??

Good question. As one of the few people on planet Earth who thoroughly disliked the first "Guardians" movie, it looks like everyone involved with it is stomping down on the gas pedal when it comes to The Zany. Don't get me wrong...I love Marvel Studios' clever use of humor in all of their films, but when it becomes the motivating force of a film (as it was for Guardians), it undermines the rest of their output. If Guardians was its own self-contained thing, no problem. It is what it is. But when (not "if") they combine the Guardians with the Avengers for the Infinity War movies, they're going to have a big tonal problem on their hands when it comes to The Zany. In other words, no room for dance-off challenges.

EGO seems like an indication Guardians 2 is going for the camp jugular. Yes, Ego is a big, beloved part of Marvel's rich cosmology, and could possibly be used in a live action film...but as the father of Starlord? I dunno.

The zany doesn't bother me. That's Marvel cosmic. In the comics The Punisher is in the same universe as Galactus and Eternity along with all of Starlin's trippy stuff...and I love that. The first Guardians movie was a lot like the DnA run of the title and this next film is adding Mantis which makes me happy. What I don't get is taking a cosmic character like Ego, giving him abilities we've never seen before, and making him related to a long established character. I just don't get it. I guess being the King of the Sparta Empire's son just isn't good enough...
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The zany doesn't bother me. That's Marvel cosmic.

Gotta disagree with you there. While aspects of Marvel Cosmic have occasionally been handled in a breezy, lighthearted manner, the vast majority of their cosmic stories have been pretty serious, sometimes even deeply philosophical. Now, that same overheated melodrama can, in its own way, come across as amusing or endearingly kooky (i.e. Jack Kirby's solo stuff)...but not by intent. When the intention is tongue-in-cheek adventure, the trade-off is a lowered sense of peril and real consequences...which, as I said, is fine in and of itself. But when the movie is supposed to be part of a larger universe...most of which strives for a careful balance between drama and humor...it diminishes that larger universe. In my opinion, of course.
  • Options

Mr_Cosmic said:

Gotta disagree with you there. While aspects of Marvel Cosmic have occasionally been handled in a breezy, lighthearted manner, the vast majority of their cosmic stories have been pretty serious, sometimes even deeply philosophical. Now, that same overheated melodrama can, in its own way, come across as amusing or endearingly kooky (i.e. Jack Kirby's solo stuff)...but not by intent. When the intention is tongue-in-cheek adventure, the trade-off is a lowered sense of peril and real consequences...which, as I said, is fine in and of itself. But when the movie is supposed to be part of a larger universe...most of which strives for a careful balance between drama and humor...it diminishes that larger universe. In my opinion, of course.
    I guess it depends on your interpretation of "zany." I understand it to mean eccentric and unconventional..which, to me, is Marvel Cosmic. Starlin's deeply philosophical Warlock series still had Clowns, floating eyeballs with wings, etc. Quasar took part in a galactic race which featured an alien that was a giant, anthropomorphic rabbit. The Beyonder's questionable wardrobe choices. All of this exists in the same universe as Born Again, Alias, etc.

I'd also point out that the begining of GotG is probably one of the most heart wrenching moments in the MCU.

Persoally, I can't wait to see Captain America charging Thanos with Rocket Raccoon by his side.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I guess it depends on your interpretation of "zany." I understand it to mean eccentric and unconventional..which, to me, is Marvel Cosmic. Starlin's deeply philosophical Warlock series still had Clowns, floating eyeballs with wings, etc. Quasar took part in a galactic race which featured an alien that was a giant, anthropomorphic rabbit. The Beyonder's questionable wardrobe choices. All of this exists in the same universe as Born Again, Alias, etc.

I'd also point out that the begining of GotG is probably one of the most heart wrenching moments in the MCU.

Persoally, I can't wait to see Captain America charging Thanos with Rocket Raccoon by his side.
    There's truth in all of that. That said, zany isn't so far as outside Earth's gravity well. Squirrel-girl, Hindsight-lad, Bantam the Boxing Chicken and Slapstick, among others are just a few subway stops from Hell's Kitchen.
  • Options
    penn2kpenn2k Posts: 30
    @ShaneKelly - Just an FYI, If you go to the movies a lot ( and these days with all the comic-related films, most of us do ) Fandango has a VIP level. It doesn't cost anything, and one of the perks is you can change or cancel your tickets before showtime. Had tickets for 'Killing Joke' this week, but had to cancel, so it was no big deal.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    penn2k said:

@ShaneKelly - Just an FYI, If you go to the movies a lot ( and these days with all the comic-related films, most of us do ) Fandango has a VIP level. It doesn't cost anything, and one of the perks is you can change or cancel your tickets before showtime. Had tickets for 'Killing Joke' this week, but had to cancel, so it was no big deal.

Yeah, the only thing you forfeit is the surcharge. Which is actually already waved if you're at an AMC theater and you're an AMC Stubs member like I am.

I am simpatico with @ShaneKelly. I'm glad I saw "The Killing Joke," but it left a VERY sour taste in my mouth. I don't see myself rewatching it anytime soon.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    hauberk said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

There's truth in all of that. That said, zany isn't so far as outside Earth's gravity well. Squirrel-girl, Hindsight-lad, Bantam the Boxing Chicken and Slapstick, among others are just a few subway stops from Hell's Kitchen.
    I agree. This is not to argue @Mark_Engblom not enjoying GotG, because you have to like what you like. But to the larger point of whether the tone across the MCU should be consistent, I hope that they continue to not be. As that is something I really enjoy about the MU in the comics. Thinking back to the time I jumped back in to reading Marvel, and what I read, the Bendis and Maleev Daredevil couldn't have been more different from the Morrison and Quitely New X-Men. Which itself as very different in tone from what Busiek and Perez were doing on Avengers. And yet, it was all the same universe.

The MCU has more similarity movie to movie than those comics titles did, but at the same time Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and Ant-Man have very different tones. And it didn't bother me when those characters came together in Civil War. So I would rather each film or mini-franchise try to do its own thing the best way it can rather than worry about being consistent. It can lead to some movies that individuals don't like (e.g. Mark didn't like Guardians, I haven't really liked the Thor movies very much so far), but I trust that, just as when the Avengers come together there are a lot of very different characters and tones at play, that the same can be done with Avengers and Guardians crossing over in space. It reminds me of when Remender and Opena put Deadpool on the team in Uncanny X-Force. At first I thought that was going to be a terrible idea, and it was just part of the trend of putting Deadpool in anything you could. But they used him well, made something of how he was very different than other members of the team, and it worked. We'll see.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    David_D said:

"Thinking back to the time I jumped back in to reading Marvel, and what I read, the Bendis and Maleev Daredevil couldn't have been more different from the Morrison and Quitely New X-Men. Which itself as very different in tone from what Busiek and Perez were doing on Avengers. And yet, it was all the same universe."
    It's not the differences in tone between titles (or movies, for that matter) that bother me...at all. I appreciate and celebrate all the different types of reading experiences comic creators have provided over the decades. What gets tricky is when characters from different types of "arenas" are brought together. Inevitably, one of those characters (or groups of characters) will be compromised or diminished in some way when they are combined with characters (or groups of characters) that have a very different tone. To continue with your own anecdote, David, imagine the Morrison and Quitely X-Men appearing in the Bendis and Maleev Daredevil title...or vice versa. It can be done, obviously, but not done WELL....in that one property or the other will be somewhat (or greatly) diminished in that crossover.

Obviously, GotG isn't exactly "The Mask" in its level of irreverent comedy, but it's different enough from the humor level of other Marvel movies (particularly The Avengers) to be a cause of concern when those two great "segments" of the Marvel Cinematic Universe are brought together. Either the Avengers will be boosted to an artificially humorous level...or the Guardians will lose a great deal of their gonzo mojo. It's certainly possible for Marvel to thread the needle and somehow make it all work without watering down or distorting any of the players involved...but not likely.

This is the legacy of the infamous "Dance Off" scene from the first GotG movie. It generated a lot of laughs, to be sure...and helped elevate that movie to smash-hit status. But at the same time, that scene (among others) pushed this corner of the Marvel Cinematic Universe into a very different head space than the majority of the Marvel movies. I have faith Marvel Studios is up to the challenge of melding such tonally different corners of its film universe....but it certainly won't be easy.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

David_D said:

"Thinking back to the time I jumped back in to reading Marvel, and what I read, the Bendis and Maleev Daredevil couldn't have been more different from the Morrison and Quitely New X-Men. Which itself as very different in tone from what Busiek and Perez were doing on Avengers. And yet, it was all the same universe."
    It's not the differences in tone between titles (or movies, for that matter) that bother me...at all. I appreciate and celebrate all the different types of reading experiences comic creators have provided over the decades. What gets tricky is when characters from different types of "arenas" are brought together. Inevitably, one of those characters (or groups of characters) will be compromised or diminished in some way when they are combined with characters (or groups of characters) that have a very different tone. To continue with your own anecdote, David, imagine the Morrison and Quitely X-Men appearing in the Bendis and Maleev Daredevil title...or vice versa. It can be done, obviously, but not done WELL....in that one property or the other will be somewhat (or greatly) diminished in that crossover.

Obviously, GotG isn't exactly "The Mask" in its level of irreverent comedy, but it's different enough from the humor level of other Marvel movies (particularly The Avengers) to be a cause of concern when those two great "segments" of the Marvel Cinematic Universe are brought together. Either the Avengers will be boosted to an artificially humorous level...or the Guardians will lose a great deal of their gonzo mojo. It's certainly possible for Marvel to thread the needle and somehow make it all work without watering down or distorting any of the players involved...but not likely.

This is the legacy of the infamous "Dance Off" scene from the first GotG movie. It generated a lot of laughs, to be sure...and helped elevate that movie to smash-hit status. But at the same time, that scene (among others) pushed this corner of the Marvel Cinematic Universe into a very different head space than the majority of the Marvel movies. I have faith Marvel Studios is up to the challenge of melding such tonally different corners of its film universe....but it certainly won't be easy.
    I hear you. And I agree it won't be easy. My worry going into GotG is that it would try too hard to be funny-- and I'm sure you're not the only person in the world that thought they did exactly that. I ended up being charmed by it. But I also think, if they appear in what is supposed to be, primarily, an Avengers movie, that they and their energy will take a backseat to the movie feeling like an Avengers movie. Hopefully they will feel right for them, but not end up making the whole movie feel like one of their movies. Just like Scott Lang rang true in his role in Civil War, but I don't think what you can expect from an Ant Man movie was diminished or changed by the fact that he was in a generally much more serious Cap movie that was, primarily, about the consequences of superhero action on civilians (which feels like a very different thing than the Ant Man movie dealt in).

So, I agree, a tricky needle to thread, as they say. But I think it can work.
  • Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    Excellent episode as always, gentlemen. Even though SDCC sounds fun, from all I've seen of it it seems entirely too crowded and chaotic for my liking. Glad you enjoyed it though, @Pants.

Also glad to hear that you got a chance to see Barry Gregory at the Ka-Blam area and pick up the projects from Gallant Comics. I continue to love what Barry and Stephen are doing with those Public Domain characters. And thanks much to @Adam_Murdough for remembering me. You flatter me, sir.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I attended Comic Con 2003, 2005, and 2007 (back in those heady "Pre-100,000 Attendance Figure" days)...and even within that four year period, my enjoyment of the experience steadily diminished with each visit. Granted, a "First Visit" is always a special time, but even from 2003 to 2005, it was MUCH more crowded and hectic, panels much harder to get into, and the Hollywood presence increasingly obnoxious. I have no desire to go back, but would never begrudge anyone brave (and physically strong enough) to attend.

I'm actually thinking about going to Heroes Con in North Carolina after hearing such great things about it from the CGS gang.

• Options
    So one of Jamie D's favorite creators (Terry Moore) is doing a book with a monkey in it? I'll read it in honor of the Shiznit! It looked interesting too!

This has to be one of the Off The Racks when it comes out. @Adam_Murdough @Pants @ShaneKelly @wildpigcomics
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited July 2016
    This was the first time I'd been to San Diego since 2007, and the floor on Thursday and Friday was less crowded than back then. They made a big effort this year to cut down on counterfeit badges, requiring photo ID on pickup for each badge, and using the “tap in, tap out” system similar to what New York Comic-Con uses—and it really seemed to make a difference. Everyone I talked to agreed. Now Sunday was the usual massive press of humanity, but even Saturday wasn’t terrible except for the occassional pocket of people.

As for the panels, it all depends on what you're interested in. I only went to the Darwyn Cooke Tribute panel, and I had no problem whatsoever—the room was only two-thirds full. And Hollywood seems to have taken a half-step back from the con. There wasn't much of a presence on the main floor. And the video games were pushed into the corner of the main hall and to tents outside. Thursday and Friday were actually kind of quiet in the main hall. It was a bit weird, but nice.

As always, it was great to see you, @Pants. And it was a pleasure to finally meet the elusive @Torchsong.

But Heroes Con is my absolute favorite show each and every year.
  • Options

This was the first time I'd been to San Diego since 2007, and the floor on Thursday and Friday was less crowded than back then. They made a big effort this year to cut down on counterfeit badges, requiring photo ID on pickup for each badge, and using the “tap in, tap out” system similar to what New York Comic-Con uses—and it really seemed to make a difference. Everyone I talked to agreed. Now Sunday was the usual massive press of humanity, but even Saturday wasn’t terrible except for the occassional pocket of people.

As for the panels, it all depends on what you're interested in. I only went to the Darwyn Cooke Tribute panel, and I had no problem whatsoever—the room was only two-thirds full. And Hollywood seems to have taken a half-step back from the con. There wasn't much of a presence on the main floor. And the video games were pushed into the corner of the main hall and to tents outside. Thursday and Friday were actually kind of quiet in the main hall. It was a bit weird, but nice.

As always, it was great to see you, @Pants. And it was a pleasure to finally meet the elusive @Torchsong.

Did you find the Hollywood presence that was there was more comic, sci/fi and genre centered? No more films and shows that have nothing to do with the genre?
  • Options

Did you find the Hollywood presence that was there was more comic, sci/fi and genre centered? No more films and shows that have nothing to do with the genre?
    I think so? To be honest, I was mostly stuck in the booth, so I didn’t even look through the panel schedule very closely, and I didn’t do anything outside of the convention center. From what I did see, there was more TV promotion going on than film promotion, and the stuff I saw on the main floor was all genre stuff. Walking Dead, American Gods, and Nickelodeon (evidently there’s going to be a new Rugrats show) all had big, immersive booths on the main floor, as did Star Wars. Also, a new sitcom called Son of Zorn, which kind of borders on genre—an animated sword-&-sorcery character working in a live-action office—was on the floor. And Lego was pushing their new Batman movie. Didn’t really see much else.
  • Options
    Our 6th year in a row going to SDCC. It was much less crowded this year, except Sunday seemed to be as crowded as ever. I think a big difference was the RFID for sure, but also they have had more stuff outside the con than ever before. You didn't even need a badge to attend the vast majority of it. It made a difference for sure. Except Sunday I think most people do their shopping and it was pretty crowded. Still a great show and I wouldn't miss it. SDCC provides the best opportunity to network and interview creators and other people in the industry, but I totally understand people who prefer smaller shows. It was cool to meet Pants in person and Uncle Sal as well. I had looked for Sal in the past but never managed to meet him face-to-face until this year. Julie and Shawna Benson are so awesome I can't possibly do them justice with any words here. I have tons of interviews and convention coverage over at thecomicsourceblog.com so check it out if you are so inclined.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    penn2k said:

This is the sketch cover I did for Adam mentioned on this episode. Figured most of you here on the forums might appreciate the inside jokes:

That's awesome
  • Options
    GotGv2 may need it's own thread since the movie comes out in 9 months, but I wanted to respond to something @Mr_Cosmic & @Mark_Engblom were discussing about the reveal about Star Lord's father.

Apparently James Gunn himself responded in a Facebook post, explaining why they revealed who Quill's father was at Comic-Con and why you should be okay with it:
    "WHY THE IDENTITY OF STAR-LORD'S FATHER ISN'T A SPOILER

Don't read any further if you don't want to know who he is. Also you might want to stay off the internet until May and definitely unfollow me and don't watch our trailers or other ads...

Anyway, people have been particularly excited, confused, and supportive of keeping Marvel Cosmic truly cosmic with the reveal of Peter Quill's father's identity. However, there have been a minority of folks who have questioned, and even been angry, that I and Marvel would reveal something so major months before the film comes out. I get it. If we lived in a perfect world, I wouldn't tell you ANYTHING before you walked in to see Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. I wouldn't tell you Groot was now Baby Groot, I wouldn't tell you Mantis was in the movie, I wouldn't say that Ayesha and Taserface are our antagonists, that Yondu and Nebula have incredibly important roles in the film, nor would I tell you that Quill's father is Ego the Living Planet.

However, the world is imperfect. Firstly, we have to advertise our film. And it will be impossible to show you very much of Vol. 2 since Ego is very much a part of all of it. We just don't have a way around it. Secondly, there are journalists online who love giving you scoops about characters and plot twists in upcoming films. Ego is such a big part of the movie, this was going to come out soon, as much as we've tried to hide it (when our online press day happened on set, Kurt Russell sat in a chair that read "J'son," and all of our script pages and artwork featuring him used the same name). Frankly, I would rather be in control of the announcement myself than have it come out on SpoilersRUs.com in a few weeks.

That said, knowing who Quill's father is will not diminish your enjoyment of the film in any way. The story is not built to be a shocking twist in the same way Luke's father was Darth, Soylent Green was people, Rosebud was a sled, or that that pretty woman from Crying Game had a penis (I guess I should have said spoilers before all that). Ego is the emotional center of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 from the beginning to the end, and is not a twist.

And believe me - there are many, many more surprises we still have in store for you from Vol. 2 - hopefully the biggest of which is how much you'll love the movie itself. Because, to me, that's the only twist that matters.

james"
    https://www.facebook.com/jgunn/
  • Options
    I'm glad I know. It gives me time to accept it. I'd probably slam my Mr. Pibb down and walk out if I found out during the movie. Ah, oh well, at least his father was J'son in their attempt to mislead journalists. I'm still holding out hope that something is going on here and Ego the Living Planet isn't actually his father...
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Good episode, all! Of course, you gotta like Pants' enthusiasm for all things SDCC/ComicCon and loved the Uncle Sal/Julie Benson interview. Oh...and Uncle Sal is coming on soon? AWESOME!!!
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    Bummed that I didn't get to meet @nweathington or @Torchsong or anyone else from the CGS community who also went to SDCC. But... when I got home and started looking through my con pics, and was looking at one I took of this Goku cosplayer I had a crush on, I then noticed that the guy walking by in the background is... @Pants ! :joy: I laughed. I'd post it here but I don't think the board lets us upload pics. But it was a hilarious coincidence lol
  • Options

I'd post it here but I don't think the board lets us upload pics.

If you upload it to a personal domain on the web, you can post the image via an image link onto a post.
  • Options

Bummed that I didn't get to meet @nweathington or @Torchsong or anyone else from the CGS community who also went to SDCC. But... when I got home and started looking through my con pics, and was looking at one I took of this Goku cosplayer I had a crush on, I then noticed that the guy walking by in the background is... @Pants ! :joy: I laughed. I'd post it here but I don't think the board lets us upload pics. But it was a hilarious coincidence lol

It's not a con if I don't unexpectedly bump into Brian at least three times throughout the weekend. Hey, next time make sure you stop by the booth and say hi. I love putting faces to names. (Yeah, I know you have your picture in your avatar, but you know what I mean.) Of course, when @Torchsong stopped by to say hi, I was still a bit jet-lagged from my crappy flight, and it took me a few seconds to realize who he was. But usually I'm a little more on the ball.
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567

Ha! I'd love to see the picture. You never know where I may show up...
  • Options

Use this free image upload portal http://imgur.com/