Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Welcome to the new forums!

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    How do you accept or reject an answer to a question posted on the new forum? I can't seem to stop getting that message whenever I log in.
    I think that is happening as there was a thread you started as a question that didn't get any replies. I just went into that thread and did an edit to change it from a question to a discussion, so hopefully that should take care of it (and please PM me if it doesn't).

The question function is a sort of counter-intuitive thing (and, unfortunately, it seems permanently set to be the default position when you are creating a new thread- if you don't choose "Start a New Discussion" you will end up creating a question). It takes an extra step, but I would suggest always choosing the option to make a new thread a discussion instead (even in cases when you are actually asking a question).
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    How do you accept or reject an answer to a question posted on the new forum? I can't seem to stop getting that message whenever I log in.
    you have to go to one of the posts in the thread and click on "accept" (or "reject").

e
    L nny
  • Options
    you have to go to one of the posts in the thread and click on "accept" (or "reject").

e
    L nny
    Agreed. In rare instances if you start a question and don't get any replies, you can get stuck with that pop-up reminder, an unfortunate quirk of the question option.

I think the best bet is to start all threads as discussions rather than questions, just in case.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Best thing about this new forums is how nice it looks on my Touch now.
  • Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
    Thought I'd better pop in in an say hi.
    This is surely the best and worst time to be a comics fan,so much good stuff but not enough money to buy them all,sniff.x
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    How do you guys get background colors to your posts?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    How do you guys get background colors to your posts?
    If you are talking about the background color like Shroud's post a few above yours, that happens when a post gets 5 positive votes on a reaction button (e.g. "Like", "Agree", "LOL", etc.). I believe that automatically highlights the post.
  • Options
    With Bryan's permission, the abuse reactions (Spam, Abuse, Troll) have be deactivated. They seem to have become more distracting than useful, and there are plenty of other reaction buttons if users want to express themselves that way. And, better yet, you can always articulate a reaction with a post.

If you see actual spam on the forum, please PM me.

Onward.

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    JohnDJohnD Posts: 4
    really cool set up, different but fun :)
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    With Bryan's permission, the abuse reactions (Spam, Abuse, Troll) have be deactivated. They seem to have become more distracting than useful, and there are plenty of other reaction buttons if users want to express themselves that way. And, better yet, you can always articulate a reaction with a post.

If you see actual spam on the forum, please PM me.

Onward.

Thanks,
    David
    I think you should shut off the 'disagree' and 'dislike' buttons. Too many douchebags use these without an explanation of why they 'disagree' or 'dislike' something. It's not right.

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited July 2012
    @Flintlockjaw : I herewith declare my dislike of your disliking :P

edit: but I just lol-ed you in another thread

edit2: shall we now explain every button-action? :)) :)) :))
  • Options

Oooh, I like that we can see who is voting for all the likes, dislikes, and such now.

I wonder how the lack of anonymity will affect people's behavior?

Agreed - and I guess I now really have to do more explaining :D 8->
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    :-O
    Just found out that some of the folks who have been whining the most about "anonymity" have given me dislikes and disagrees for innocent stuff like mentioning that I don't love PDFs, or that I'm using a DELL /:)

The most negative feedback I got, when I dared stating that I don't use the iPad but a Samsung/Android (yeah - I'm not a Apple whore - accept it!)

3:-O
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    I prefer the anonymity. So I have turned off the ability to see who votes for what.

Bry
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    The most negative feedback I got, when I dared stating that I don't use the iPad but a Samsung/Android (yeah - I'm not a Apple whore - accept it!)
    I would totally turn tricks for an iPad! :-\"
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I prefer the anonymity. So I have turned off the ability to see who votes for what.

Bry
    Having to actually place the pointer in the right spot to see the reaction bar, and the smaller, less-colorful icons make it a lot less in-your-face. Maybe that will help.
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216

Having to actually place the pointer in the right spot to see the reaction bar, and the smaller, less-colorful icons make it a lot less in-your-face. Maybe that will help.
    I don't have control over the new look. I wish it was still the old way. I liked it better.

Bry
  • Options
    I had my moment in the spotlight.....now it's back into dismal anonymity.... X_X
  • Options
    :-w ....just noticed that since we're back in anonymity mode I received a couple of dislikes....who is that...laughing in the dark....step into the light.....don't worry...this shotgun is not loaded.....it won't hurt.... >:/
  • Options
    Alright, I'm back in.
    I've got to say I wasn't thrilled with the new forum look, but after listening to a month of CGS's I had backed up I needed to jump back in. Missed you guys!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I liked it when we could see who was leaving the likes, dislikes, Agrees, etc for each post. It was really enlightening.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I posted this in another thread, but I think the explanation deserves to be posted here, too:

As the person who got in touch with Bryan to ask him about this new feature which, as it turns out, was not opted into, but rather was part of a software update, I will give my reasons for why I agreed with Bryan that it should be turned off--

It would be one thing if there was no anonymity from the beginning. But to have the forum running for a few months with these reaction buttons acting as anonymous feedback (and therefore the expectation that these votes would be kept anonymous) to then strip away that anonymity and making public behavior that was expected to be private is not fair play.

Does it make for interesting reading? Well, of course. And it would be different if giving feedback on posts from a certain point going forward would be visible, as then people could give feedback knowing that it was a public vote.

I'm sure not everyone will agree. But I thought it was better to just let you know what some of the thinking behind this was. And that the sudden visibility of the formerly private votes was something that surprised us, as well.
  • Options
    @David_D

Ok, I missed the explanation in the other thread but thanks for it now. I can see where it was unfair to have anonymous feedback made public.

I found it interesting...in the thread that caused all the discussion over the last few days...that there was a certain(well known) forum member who disliked every one of Mike's posts but refused to post in the thread(I guess imho if you dislike something enough to click the button you should drop a note to tell us why).

Moving forward we might have been able to discourage that behavior with the new feature.

Again, I see your point too.

• Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
    I think its cowardly leaving anonymous dislikes,if you dislike someone's view tell them why,start a dialogue.
    Oh an if anyone wants to Twitter me I'm Morgan Mcgibson.x
  • Options
    Since the return of anonymity I'm now a "victim" of random dis-whatevers. Therefore I've decided to restrain from hitting any dis-whatever buttons. If a post is deserving an honest and founded answer I will do so - if it's BS I'll just ignore it. If I like a post I keep on hitting those "love" buttons :-*

Life's too short to care about some fictional sympathy ranking <:-P
  • Options
    I recieved a private comment regarding my post above so let me clarify(names removed):

It had more to do with ____. He left negative feedback to everything ____ said in a thread. The guy doesn't post here at all anymore so why come here and harass someone like that? That's the definition of a troll.

I understand clicking a dislike now and then without an explanation. I just don't get stalking someone throughout a thread disliking everything they post..especially on a message board you refuse to post on.

• Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    I used to have an option at the top that allowed me to mark everything read and now it is gone. Was there some kind of change? Anybody else notice this?
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Trev said:

I used to have an option at the top that allowed me to mark everything read and now it is gone. Was there some kind of change? Anybody else notice this?

I noticed it. Made a thread about it. I loved that feature. Maybe Deemer will be able to add it back.