Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    hauberk said:

May not have been Netflix, but watched CBGB last night. Incredible story and an amazing cast.

I will expand on this by saying that the casting on the Ramones was particularly inspired. The actor portraying Joey had his physical mannerisms down to a tee. Same with the Talking Heads.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    hauberk said:

May not have been Netflix, but watched CBGB last night. Incredible story and an amazing cast.

That surprises me, because I was really looking forward to that, until the trailer and early reviews made it sound terrible. Some music and movie bloggers for whom the movie would seem to be tailor-made just railed against it and made it sound like the worst thing ever. I might go ahead and check it out myself now. I love that era of music, so even something that falls short would still be of interest to me.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    chrisw said:

hauberk said:

That surprises me, because I was really looking forward to that, until the trailer and early reviews made it sound terrible. Some music and movie bloggers for whom the movie would seem to be tailor-made just railed against it and made it sound like the worst thing ever. I might go ahead and check it out myself now. I love that era of music, so even something that falls short would still be of interest to me.
    I didn't really have much in the way of expectations. It seemed to ring at least somewhat true to what I've read but clearly had elements calculated for laughs.

Of course, there's absolutely no way to even scratch the surface of the storied history of Hilly and CBGBs without a 10 part Ken Burns project.

As I said, the Ramones casting made it worthwhile for me. I was entertained.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Yeah, the trailer went way heavy on emphasizing the laughs, to the extent that until I caught a few names I hand't realized it was actually a dramatization of real events, and not just a zany comedy using CBGB as a backdrop.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I've been catching up on years worth of Family Guy. Currently on the 11th season.

And just last night, I watched Zatoichi (2003).
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    How was zatoichi?
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    mwhitt80 said:

How was zatoichi?

Weird in spots(on purpose), but still entertaining.

It blends a few different genres together.
  • Options
    Just finished Green Lantern: TAS and I don't think I've ever been so disappointed something didn't get a second season.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I've just started watching Attack on Titan. With the exception studio ghibli movies, my first real foray into Manga. So far I'm really enjoying it. Watched the first 10 episodes last night.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

I've just started watching Attack on Titan. With the exception studio ghibli movies, my first real foray into Manga. So far I'm really enjoying it. Watched the first 10 episodes last night.

Awesome, I was really into anime in my teens but dropped out about 12-13 years ago, and then on a whim I watched this and was hooked. Can't wait for season 2.
  • Options
    Just started season 2 of Breaking Bad. Also have Arrow queued up as I didn't watch it at the start.
  • Options

luke52 said:

Awesome, I was really into anime in my teens but dropped out about 12-13 years ago, and then on a whim I watched this and was hooked. Can't wait for season 2.
    Me too. I done season 1 in less then a week. Really enjoyed it. Season 2 not due until 2016 though I hear!

There's quite a lot of anime on Netflix at the moment, I may branch out a bit. Any other recommendations?
  • Options
    To be honest I haven't continued watching anime after that, but I just worked on a title coming to Netflix in a couple of months called Terror in Resonance. We didn't have subs for it yet but it still looked pretty amazing, and the attention to real-world detail is impressive.
  • Options
    On Netflix

I'd recommend Samurai Champloo

If you get dvds Ghost in the Shell (movie) and Stand Alone Complex. With stand alone complex just watch the series. There are a few compilations but they are just groups of the two series.

My all time favorite you will have to get in dvds Cowboy Bebop.
  • Options
    Cowboy Bebop is the only anime series I own on DVD. Same team is currently doing a show called Space Dandy which is pretty good. Kind of like Cowboy Bebop if done in the style and tone of Lupin.
  • Options
    I've also heard good things about Kill la Kill and Girls und Panzer, but I have not had a chance to check them out yet.
  • Options
    I would also recommend Afro Samurai which would be in dvds
  • Options

Cowboy Bebop is the only anime series I own on DVD. Same team is currently doing a show called Space Dandy which is pretty good. Kind of like Cowboy Bebop if done in the style and tone of Lupin.

Terror in Resonance is actually from the team that did Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo also.
  • Options

Terror in Resonance is actually from the team that did Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo also.
    Terror has the same director, but Space Dandy also has the same head writer and one of the same producers. Of course, all three have music by Yoko Kanno, which is a good thing.

Haven't seen Terror yet, so I can't speak to it, but I was a little disappointed with Samurai Champloo. I know Champloo was pretty popular, but it didn't really do it for me.
  • Options
    Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll be sure to check some out.
  • Options
    Ive been wondering about space dandy. You can watch that at adultswim.com for free
  • Options

It's actually already on Netflix. I'll have to give it a go. Out of interest @playdohsrepublic what work did you do?
  • Options
    luke52 said:

It's actually already on Netflix. I'll have to give it a go. Out of interest @playdohsrepublic what work did you do?
    I prepare movies and TV show deliveries to different digital portals like itunes, Netflix and Google play, and for home release on bluray and dvd.
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    I'm still watching Frasier, but I'm up to Season 8. I've been mixing in episodes of Z Nation, which is no Walking Dead, but it's fun.
  • Options
    We get A Different World and 3rd Rock From the Sun on March 15th!
  • Options
    Now if they would just get Nightcourt, the Drew Carey Show, and Newhart, I would be much happy.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Steeven said:

Now if they would just get Nightcourt, the Drew Carey Show, and Newhart, I would be much happy.

If you have the Encore networks, Night Court is available their them...I've been watching it at the gym. It's sappy at times, but still, a nice "set-up, punchline" type of sitcom.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Steeven said:

And you can get a whole hour's worth of Newhart on Antenna TV every night! I've been watching them since Christmas, and they're still just as hilarious as when they first aired.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Steeven said:

And you can get a whole hour's worth of Newhart on Antenna TV every night! I've been watching them since Christmas, and they're still just as hilarious as when they first aired.

Much like Frasier, Newhart is evergreen.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

Much like Frasier, Newhart is evergreen.

Amen.