Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    DAR said:

There's a cool little doc called I Know that Voice streaming

Watched it.

Loads of fun.
  • Options
    Galaxy Quest is now available for streaming. Great movie.
  • Options
    JoSpiv616 said:

Galaxy Quest is now available for streaming. Great movie.

Geek in his 30's and I've never seen it! I plan on correcting that oversight post haste.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited October 2014
    Watching the original Superman serials with Kirk Allyn -- interesting for what they were, but not really compelling watching. You have to be a real Superman or serial fan to sit through these. Fortunately, I'm both.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I like the merging of live action and animation on those when Superman takes off in flight. It is essentially the same thing we see now with CG.
  • Options
    I didn't think those animation inserts worked, to be honest - they kept bouncing me out of the story every time they did one. Still, it was the best they could do at the time...
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

I didn't think those animation inserts worked, to be honest - they kept bouncing me out of the story every time they did one. Still, it was the best they could do at the time...

okay let me clarify my statement. I thought it was facinating to see essentially the same principle being applied with a different level of technology. But yeah you're right bad CG bounces you out of the story. ie Neo fighing 100,000 Agent Smiths and suddenly we were watching a cartoon. It's the very same thing you're experiencing with Kirk Allyn. Given that motion pictures were still a relatively young medium at the time I found the technique shockingly innovative.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I'm actually surprised more films didn't use that technique. Yes, it is jarring, especially when not done well, but it seems like such an obvious way to do effects that we typically consider beyond the abilities of older films. Would audiences watching a Flash Gordon serial back in the '30s or '40s have been that upset over the story switching to animation to depict an epic space battle, instead of flying ships around on strings?
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Working my way through the unaired sixth season of a Star Wars: Clone Wars. The first arc was pretty terrific, focusing on the clone trooper Fives and how Order 66 was orchestrated. It had moments of intensity and a bit of the darkness that pretty much has to be present in the buildup to the annihilation of the Jedi Order.

Alas, the second arc appears to be Amidala Goes Banking.
  • Options
    I just watched Snowpiercer on Netflix and really enjoyed it.
  • Options

Agreed. Wasn't sure at first but I ended up digging it.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Agreed. Wasn't sure at first but I ended up digging it.
    My wife fell asleep just before the tunnel scene about a third of the way through and asked me the next day, "so how was that terrible movie."

I had to explain how good it got from pretty much that moment forward.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Loved Snowpiercer, one of the best films of the year.

The History of the Eagles part one is truly great. Part two is just okay
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited December 2014
    We have been mainlining Stephen Fry's brilliant and funny British quiz show QI on Hulu Plus. Series 9 - 11 are available for streaming, and a quick look at YouTube shows it'll be easy to go back for the first 8. A lot of the success of a given episode depends on the panel, but every episode contains several laugh out loud moments and information that is, yes, Quite Interesting.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    DAR said:

Loved Snowpiercer, one of the best films of the year.

The History of the Eagles part one is truly great. Part two is just okay

Enjoying part one in sessions. It's awesome but massive.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Just finished the first season of Agents of Shield. We had to stop toward the end to watch Cap 2 (had it on dvd for a while and hadn't seen it); then finished the show. I really enjoyed it; I just wish ABC had released it to Netflix a month before the new season started so we could have been watching it week to week.
  • Options
    What did you think of Winter Soldier @mwhitt80‌ ?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    It was great; I really enjoyed it. One of my favorite marvel movies.

My wife really liked it too; she was a little put out that she didn't figure out bucky was winter soldier until the masked dropped. The second she saw the mask fall to the ground (before we saw a face) she says it's bucky! Then looks at me and goes you knew already... I just said yeah I've known who he was for about 10 years.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    All is Lost-A pretty compelling film with a great nearly wordless performance by Robert Redford. However I can't say the rewatchabilty factor is going to be high. A-
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

It was great; I really enjoyed it. One of my favorite marvel movies.

My wife really liked it too; she was a little put out that she didn't figure out bucky was winter soldier until the masked dropped. The second she saw the mask fall to the ground (before we saw a face) she says it's bucky! Then looks at me and goes you knew already... I just said yeah I've known who he was for about 10 years.

Nice!
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Has anyone watched Marco Polo? Worth watching?
  • Options
    Wrapped up Breaking Bad while off over the holidays. It was OK, but was underwhelming given the amount of love it had gotten. Particularly underwhelmed with the final season especially given the awards love. True Detective was so much stronger.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Just finished up the first season of Dexter and watched the first episode of season 2. Pretty good so far. Does it get better or worse as the seasons go on?
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    edited January 2015
    Regardless of all the various channels playing reruns over the years, I've never seen every episode of Cheers, so I've been binge watching that for the past few months. I'm on the final season.

Life is going to feel odd after Cheers.

I did take a break at one point to watch Broadchurch which was freaking amazing!
  • Options
    Steeven said:

Regardless of all the various channels playing reruns over the years, I've never seen every episode of Cheers, so I've been binge watching that for the past few months. I'm on the final season.

I did take a break at one point to watch Broadchurch which was freaking amazing!

Go to Frasier next if you haven't. It makes for an excellent 'sequel'
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215

Steeven said:

That's the plan, so awesome minds think alike :smile:

I'll probably use Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. as a pallet cleanser, then move on to Fraiser and Friends ... maybe alternating seasons or something.
  • Options
    Steeven said:

Steeven said:

I'll probably use Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. as a pallet cleanser, then move on to Fraiser and Friends ... maybe alternating seasons or something.
    Been watching Frasier for just over a year and my wife and I only have 10 episodes left and now we don't know what to do.
  • Options
    I've been watching House alot lately. I was a huge fan of the show as it aired and eventually got focused on other things. No idea where I fell off or what happened in the finale. So I'm re-watching until I get somewhere where I go, "Well this is new" and go from there.

I had the first few seasons on DVD but I think the first one did the whole "double-sided" DVD thing that I hate. I eventually got rid of them.
  • Options

Steeven said:

Steeven said:

Been watching Frasier for just over a year and my wife and I only have 10 episodes left and now we don't know what to do.
    Lament. We did... I think Frasier was one of the best sitcoms on television. The last season was kind of weak, but once you've gotten to know those characters, you don't mind.

Maybe try Monk next. Not an entirely suitable replacement, but we did the same at my house and we really enjoyed it, and of course, finished it.

• Options

I've been watching House alot lately. I was a huge fan of the show as it aired and eventually got focused on other things. No idea where I fell off or what happened in the finale. So I'm re-watching until I get somewhere where I go, "Well this is new" and go from there.

I had the first few seasons on DVD but I think the first one did the whole "double-sided" DVD thing that I hate. I eventually got rid of them.

If you're looking for sitcom fair, I cannot strongly enough recommend Raising Hope. The first two seasons in particular are pure genius.