Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Mike Gallagher kicked off the show

Comments

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    i liked it, i've had hush unwrapped in my amazon cart's wait list for a while now
  • Options
    Www.thefilmjury.com
    And we are on iTunes.
    Nerdhub soon
  • Options
    I have NEVER liked Jim Lee's artwork inside a comic book. There. I said it. Y'all can hate me all you want, but the man can't tell a story. His pages don't have a flow, there's no sense of movement to his panel-to-panel work, and he only has a few standard body/face types.

I REALLY noticed it when he did the Batman and Superman posters back in the mid 2000's. The poses of Batman and Superman were EXACTLY the same, as were their bodies, their jawlines, etc... Perez draws every character's face and body differently. Superman is the classic Bodybuilder type, while Flash was thinner and had the body of a runner, Batman looks like a boxer and Green Arrow has the body of a middle aged athlete. Jim Lee? Without the costumes, all of his men look pretty much the same.

It's why I eventually soured on Byrne's artwork, since he had a "standard male face".

He also draws posters instead of story pages. Yeah, they look impressive until you have to READ them...I can't tell you how many pages I have read of his that I read out of order the first time because he doesn't use visual cues and layout to guide your eye from panel to panel. His art gets in the way of the story, instead of telling the story like Kirby, Colon, Aja or other, more story based artists.

He's splashy (and he obviously won't let an inker near his pages with a brush for any reason) and his stuff looks good on a wall, but I just don't care for him doing interiors and when you compare Hush with The Long Halloween...it's pretty damn clear to ME who the better comic book artist is and who the better cover artist is.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    It's why I eventually soured on Byrne's artwork, since he had a "standard male face".
    I hear you there.

And while I may not share your views on Jim Lee, there's no hate here. I know what it's like to dislike a popular artist too. (Chaykin)
  • Options

I have NEVER liked Jim Lee's artwork inside a comic book. There. I said it. Y'all can hate me all you want, but the man can't tell a story. His pages don't have a flow, there's no sense of movement to his panel-to-panel work, and he only has a few standard body/face types.

I REALLY noticed it when he did the Batman and Superman posters back in the mid 2000's. The poses of Batman and Superman were EXACTLY the same, as were their bodies, their jawlines, etc... Perez draws every character's face and body differently. Superman is the classic Bodybuilder type, while Flash was thinner and had the body of a runner, Batman looks like a boxer and Green Arrow has the body of a middle aged athlete. Jim Lee? Without the costumes, all of his men look pretty much the same.

He also draws posters instead of story pages. Yeah, they look impressive until you have to READ them...I can't tell you how many pages I have read of his that I read out of order the first time because he doesn't use visual cues and layout to guide your eye from panel to panel. His art gets in the way of the story, instead of telling the story like Kirby, Colon, Aja or other, more story based artists.

He's splashy (and he obviously won't let an inker near his pages with a brush for any reason) and his stuff looks good on a wall, but I just don't care for him doing interiors and when you compare Hush with The Long Halloween...it's pretty damn clear to ME who the better comic book artist is and who the better cover artist is.

In defense of those Superman and Batman posters, I believe they were intended to look alike. They were visual 'bookends'.

Apart from that, I don't disagree with a thing you've said here.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Byrne was one of the first artists whose work I noticed, mainly because his run on FF got me hooked on comics to begin with, but over the years I can't help but notice how many men in his comics look like Reed Richards. Come to think of it, some of the women even look like Reed Richards.

I was out of comics during the time when Jim Lee arrived, but when I came back in the late '90s, until I realized many fans felt otherwise, I'd assumed he was lumped in with artists like Liefeld. Lots of poses and wonky anatomy. It just reminded me of a lot of the stuff that turned me off when I wandered into a comic shop during that time.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Bryne also has a standard female face too. Totally agree about Lee. He does great pin ups. But his storytelling skills are shit.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

mrfusion said:

Hey, I'm grateful for the free entertainment. Thanks guys!

free? bah...humbug...this evil show made me buy lots and lots of books over the years....
    Yeah CGS got me to buy lots of great trades. And then there is Hush,what a pile of steaming monkey feces.

They covered Hush, and spoke of it favorably?

If so, what episode would this be? (or at least, point me in a certain hundreds :p)

No idea what episodes it was. But I clearly remember Rios and someone else praising it. So I got the two trades for X-mas. Read them once hated them. Then sold them for the cost of shipping.
    I don't mean to be dense, but why would you sell them for the price of shipping? Were they SO bad you couldn't have them in your possession?

:)
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

mrfusion said:

Hey, I'm grateful for the free entertainment. Thanks guys!

free? bah...humbug...this evil show made me buy lots and lots of books over the years....
    Yeah CGS got me to buy lots of great trades. And then there is Hush,what a pile of steaming monkey feces.

They covered Hush, and spoke of it favorably?

If so, what episode would this be? (or at least, point me in a certain hundreds :p)

No idea what episodes it was. But I clearly remember Rios and someone else praising it. So I got the two trades for X-mas. Read them once hated them. Then sold them for the cost of shipping.
    I don't mean to be dense, but why would you sell them for the price of shipping? Were they SO bad you couldn't have them in your possession?

:)
    I have limited space to store trades. So I wanted to get rid of them. Tried trading them away for over a year. So last year someone on the forums mentioned they wanted to read them. So I PMed them and said they could have mine for the cost of shipping.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I have limited space since we moved. I've actually been getting TPBs, then trading them into Amazon for credit for other trades.

M
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I do this with my trades as well but at a local used bookstore. As space fills I have occasional cullings.
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169

I got the Absolute HUSH............

....so ya'll better Hush!

:-w

Hush, hush
    I thought I heard her calling my name now
    Hush, hush
    She broke my heart but I love her just the same now
    Hush, hush
    Thought I heard her calling my name now
    Hush, hush
    I need her loving and I'm not to blame now
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I do this with my trades as well but at a local used bookstore. As space fills I have occasional cullings.

See the nearest used bookstore doesn't accept trades. Plus I checked Amazon and the trade in credit for Hush was small.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Paul said:

Hush, hush
    I thought I heard her calling my name now
    Hush, hush
    She broke my heart but I love her just the same now
    Hush, hush
    Thought I heard her calling my name now
    Hush, hush
    I need her loving and I'm not to blame now

Would that the comic were half as good as the song...
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    (now I can't get that darn song out of my head)
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169

(now I can't get that darn song out of my head)

You're welcome! >:)
  • Options

Matt said:

JDick said:

I am under the impression that any money that comes to CGS goes right back into the show. If a few of the guys make a few bucks fine by me.
    Are you guys trying to tell me that there are HR files kept on the geeks? I highly doubt it.
    CGS is a business in a sense. They have advertisers, partner with other entities (i.e. Super London Show or whatever its called), but let's not pretend that CGS is something its not (a multinational corporate enterprise making billions of dollars).

Sponsors keep the lights on & studio rented. No paychecks. There's no HR, Accounting, Loss Prevention, Janitorial, etc departments. There's no applications, handbooks, or contracts, so no need for HR files.
    Don't believe Matt for a second! Just like Batman, Matt has files on—and contingency plans in place for—every member of the podcast. And most of the forum folks, too.

He'll take you down in a heartbeat and you won't know what hit you.

He is vengeance.

He is the night.

Stop kissing his ass.

• Options
    Peter said:

"I helped build CGS, bitches! You better believe I'm going to jump in when someone is degrading its value, even if I'm no longer on the show.

If you care about the quality of the show then you should have them get rid of Matt.
  • Options
    Weapon_MelWeapon_Mel Posts: 7
    edited February 2013
    dubbat138 said:

Peter said:

- Thanks for The Daily Rios plug! Appreciate it! Subscribe!
    - There is no "we" or hate when it comes to Mike and I. I imagine people think I'm typing furiously with furrowed brow. When in fact, I'm in my undies, eating a salad and enjoying some down time. Don't get it twisted.

Ok got a simple question. If there is no hate between you and Mike. Why was Monday's episode of your show full of various video game "game over" music? Had you been on a marathon video game playing session that day and wanted to post the "game over" music from all the games you played? Or was it you "subtly" saying game over to Mike. Also in your Tuesday episode you take what seems to me be another "subtle" shot at Mike. So as I asked if there is no hate between you two why the two shots taken by you on two shows in a row?

Its one thing to not get along with someone, but to be happy for someone's misfortune, to even rejoice in it, thats pretty scummy. Rios lacks class.
  • Options
    Weapon_MelWeapon_Mel Posts: 7
    edited February 2013
    HassanT said:

I don't know what happened behind the scenes but it sounds like Bryan was trying to keep it very professional and between him and Mike, as it should be.

At the end of the day, the show is run by Bryan. As fans, the only thing you can do if you don't like it, is don't listen to the show. Coming on the forum and demanding answers to questions that are none of our business is out of line.

I can't agree with this. Why would you think that sticking your head in the sand and not caring about what is happening to people around you is a good response to anything? People should be concerned about what happens to those around you. And you should be concerned about how people are treated.

Just because its Bryan's show doesn't me that he's right. And if you disagree with something then you should stand up and say something. You shouldn't think anyone can do whatever they want to people.
  • Options
    brydeemer said:

However, for reasons which I will not go into, I had to make the very difficult decision to remove Mike from the show.

I hope that everyone trusts that it wasn't easy, but that my choice is justified.

Problems could have been worked out without it coming to this. You could have stood up for someone instead of throwing them out. You're a piece of garbage.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Somehow my troll alert just went off
  • Options

Matt said:

JDick said:

I am under the impression that any money that comes to CGS goes right back into the show. If a few of the guys make a few bucks fine by me.
    Are you guys trying to tell me that there are HR files kept on the geeks? I highly doubt it.
    CGS is a business in a sense. They have advertisers, partner with other entities (i.e. Super London Show or whatever its called), but let's not pretend that CGS is something its not (a multinational corporate enterprise making billions of dollars).

Sponsors keep the lights on & studio rented. No paychecks. There's no HR, Accounting, Loss Prevention, Janitorial, etc departments. There's no applications, handbooks, or contracts, so no need for HR files.
    Don't believe Matt for a second! Just like Batman, Matt has files on—and contingency plans in place for—every member of the podcast. And most of the forum folks, too.

He is vengeance.

He is the night.

Stop kissing his ass.

Sorry, Chief, but there's no ass-kissing here.

Matt's a friend of mine and I was just clowning around because I felt that the thread had gotten pretty dour. I chose not to weigh in on the matter because I wasn't there and hadn't witnessed the behind-the-scenes goings on. Instead, I made a joke to lighten the mood.

You obviously have an axe to grind, so please don't let me get in the way.

Troll on, Pal!

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited February 2013

Peter said:

"I helped build CGS, bitches! You better believe I'm going to jump in when someone is degrading its value, even if I'm no longer on the show.

If you care about the quality of the show then you should have them get rid of Matt.
    You joined the forums for these posts. Sweet. Welcome to the fold, @Weapon_Mel!

Fortunately for you, my appearances have been greatly reduced over the years, there are more episodes then not that lack my je ne sais quoi. Unfortunately, for you, I cannot simply be "gotten rid of."

And, at LEAST give me the reasonings for your assessment.

I DO hope you're not one of those "forum trolls" who's too cowardly to confront the subject of your opinion. April 6-7th, we're having another SuperShow. I will be one of the people manning the registration table. I do hope you will introduce yourself & share you're feedback personally. I always prefer feedback face-to-face for discussions. I love fans!

M
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I, for one, look forward to more quintuple posts.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Is it time to close this troll petri dish yet?
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    edited February 2013

Matt said:

JDick said:

He is vengeance.

He is the night.

Stop kissing his ass.

I don't get the need to bash any of the Geeks or other forum members for their opinion or voice on the show. Weighing in on an old issue out of the blue stirs up unnecessary shit. I was a Mike fan, I thought Peter danced on his grave a little and from what I've read and heard from Matt I am pretty sure I wouldn't like him personally. I hate the hero worship the Geeks get sometimes just for having this podcast but I believe they don't ask for it so its not really their fault. But to post opinions with no constructive end and ignore all the good topics and posts out there just is pointless. I wish there were more talk on Superior Spider man and the upcoming film season than 15 pages of Who Shot Mike Gallagher and which Geek would win in a steel cage match.