Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Amazing Spider-Man 698 - SPOILERS AHOY!!~!

It's not out yet, and it hasn't been spoiled in any newspaper yet, but this is the issue Marvel keeps saying is going to be Big. Damn Big. Ultra big! Let's talk about it and speculate on what's coming in 700!

And no, I am not buying into the theory that because of the sales of the Obama cover 4 years ago,. they are going to have him take over as Spider-Man. Let's face it...he's too old!

Comments

• Options
    Does it undo One More Day!? I'd buy that!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

It's not out yet, and it hasn't been spoiled in any newspaper yet, but this is the issue Marvel keeps saying is going to be Big. Damn Big. Ultra big! Let's talk about it and speculate on what's coming in 700!

And no, I am not buying into the theory that because of the sales of the Obama cover 4 years ago,. they are going to have him take over as Spider-Man. Let's face it...he's too old!

That's. . . that's actually a rumor that someone somewhere believed? Wow.

I am not saying that would be a good idea.

But I wish corporate comics were still daring and kooky enough that such a thing could even be possible. I would love for it to be possible for them to make such a gloriously trash art move like that. But, unfortunately, such things are no longer possible*.

* The Miller/Lee Batman & Robin The Boy Wonder to the contrary.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    It's out on the Associated Press Wire:

Spider-Man kills Mary Jane. On purpose, forcing him to give up the mask once and for all. As he stands over her body, the rain beating down on his hair, he looks directly out of the panel, as if addressing the reader and says:

"We are never ever getting back together."

:)

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited November 2012
    SPOILERS!!! ACTUAL PANELS FROM THE ISSUE FOLLOW!!!

These are just some random panels from the issue...They are all out of context and I'm sure they'll make more sense when we read the issue.

• Options
    Aunt May is revealed as the true mastermind of the Sinister Six, she's mad as hell and she's not going to take it anymore!!!!
  • Options
    Or--

Peaceful conflict resolution.

Wouldn't THAT be punk rock?
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Dan Slott was warning people on Twitter to stay off the internet if they don't wanna be spoiled, so I suspect that means we may see some press coverage tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Peter looks at Aunt May and says "Why don't we stop playing these games?" and the door shuts slowly...seductively...as she undoes the buttons on her...

Okay, I just made myself sick...and that's hard to do! :)
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Ok, for real, SPOILERS BELOW:

NO SERIOUSLY, REAL THIS TIME...WARNING YOU!

Doc Ock has switched bodies with Peter Parker. He has all of Peter's memories. He tried to hook up with MJ, he fits right in at Horizon because he is a scientist too...His behavior is a little off but not so bad that anyone can really tell that he is different.

Oh, and then Ock's body dies...and Peter Parker along with it.

• Options
    Well, it's out. You were warned. Spoilers follow.

THAT was a huge twist that I did NOT see coming. Otto Octavious is now Spider-Man. He has switched bodies with Peter Parker, retains his memories and his own, and Peter, trapped in Doc Oc's body appears to have died.

First off, what a great idea for a story. It seems as if Doc Oc is going to try to hew the straight and narrow...how long can he keep it up? How long until he messes up? How much of Peter's life will he change? CAN the memories of Peter Parker change how Doc felt about him? All good ideas and directions for the story to go, and that's with the "What happened to Peter Parker" aspect.

Second, this will generate buzz for the book. Most of it from people who don't understand how comics work, it seems. I dread all of the "They killed Peter Parker, the bastards!! I'll never read Spider-Man again!!!!11!" because it's silly. They have movies and TV shows and merchandising and the like, all of which feature Peter as Spidey (which I think had more to do with Ben Reilly not remaining Spidey than people say). Relax, enjoy the ride. If you don't like the story, that's cool, but don't act like it will stay this way forever.

Finally, I hope Marvel keeps us in the dark as to how long the story will last. Surprise us. The reveal was a huge surprise and I want more surprises!

• Options
    I just won a bet if that is what indeeds happens.

Haven't read the issue yet. Saving it for a nice, long quiet day at work tomorrow.
  • Options
    Rich Johnston posted on Bleedingcool that it's a comic you want to read again when you're done..and he is right. It's sort of like going back and watching The Sixth Sense again.
  • Options

Well, it's out. You were warned. Spoilers follow.

THAT was a huge twist that I did NOT see coming. Otto Octavious is now Spider-Man. He has switched bodies with Peter Parker, retains his memories and his own, and Peter, trapped in Doc Oc's body appears to have died.

First off, what a great idea for a story. It seems as if Doc Oc is going to try to hew the straight and narrow...how long can he keep it up? How long until he messes up? How much of Peter's life will he change? CAN the memories of Peter Parker change how Doc felt about him? All good ideas and directions for the story to go, and that's with the "What happened to Peter Parker" aspect.

Second, this will generate buzz for the book. Most of it from people who don't understand how comics work, it seems. I dread all of the "They killed Peter Parker, the bastards!! I'll never read Spider-Man again!!!!11!" because it's silly. They have movies and TV shows and merchandising and the like, all of which feature Peter as Spidey (which I think had more to do with Ben Reilly not remaining Spidey than people say). Relax, enjoy the ride. If you don't like the story, that's cool, but don't act like it will stay this way forever.

Finally, I hope Marvel keeps us in the dark as to how long the story will last. Surprise us. The reveal was a huge surprise and I want more surprises!

Doesn't matter. I haven't touched the book since the end of One More Day. Not coming back now.
  • Options
    So, was there any snippets of this in the media outlets like we've seen in the past?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    so now it's not that Peter gets bitten by a camel and is turning into one of them nasty camel spiders ?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Torchsong said:

Peter looks at Aunt May and says "Why don't we stop playing these games?" and the door shuts slowly...seductively...as she undoes the buttons on her...

With Dock Ock in Pete's body, I guess this isn't out of the question.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Greg said:

So, was there any snippets of this in the media outlets like we've seen in the past?

I haven't seen anything. Maybe when Ultimate Spider-man got a PP replacement the buzz wasn't THAT big, so they didn't repeat this time.

Doesn't matter. I haven't touched the book since the end of One More Day. Not coming back now.

Truthfully, I'm in a similar situation. I felt cheated at the end of OMD (not because of the marriage, but because of Mephisto being used) and only picked up the storyline with Black Cat's return since. Beyond that, I haven't really been interesting in the character. I'm sure there have been great things Slott has introduced into the character, but from what I have read, it hasn't interested me enough to come back.

I won't get pissed about it, because frankly with the exception of the Waynes, Graysons, Uncle Ben, The Parkers, Ted Kord, Gwen Stacey, and Capt Marvel, no one stays dead. The idea of Peter body switching with Ock just doesn't interest me; though HOW Ock managed to get this done kindof does raise an eyebrow.

According to an interview, Slott advised there's nothing saying Ock will be the Spider-man in Superior Spider-man. It does beg a question for those interested: will Ock be a better (or superior) Spider-man than Peter has been?

In any event, happy reading.
    M.
  • Options
    I wasn't the least bit bothered by the use of Mephisto in OMD. I just didn't like the fact that they wanted to do away with the marriage and the relationship and shuffle Pete back off to square one. I wasn't good with that, and so considered that a good place to jump off. Since then, I've only been getting my Spidey in the Avengers, FF, and the occasional cross-over.
  • Options
    I'm willing to bet that Doc Ock had something in motion since Ends of the Earth. He's been stuck in life support, but he's been able to keep his lil' octobots busy.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I wasn't the least bit bothered by the use of Mephisto in OMD. I just didn't like the fact that they wanted to do away with the marriage and the relationship and shuffle Pete back off to square one. I wasn't good with that, and so considered that a good place to jump off. Since then, I've only been getting my Spidey in the Avengers, FF, and the occasional cross-over.

It's funny, because another reason I have shied away from Spidey is because they crowbarred him into Avengers and FF. I preferred him to be reserves and not a regular on teams. Also, the idea no one remembers who he was, THEN make him reveal his identity to his teammates irks me too.

M.
  • Options
    Matt said:

It's funny, because another reason I have shied away from Spidey is because they crowbarred him into Avengers and FF. I preferred him to be reserves and not a regular on teams. Also, the idea no one remembers who he was, THEN make him reveal his identity to his teammates irks me too.

M.
    While I didn't like the second revelation of his identity to his teammates -- he'd already done it once but had that undone by the events of OMD -- I didn't mind his admission to the Avengers at all. I was resistant to it at the beginning, but after awhile I thought he fit in very well, and I enjoyed the way he was written there. Same with the FF, which I came late to. And it allowed me to enjoy the character without having to go back and buy his book again.

• Options
    Bleeding Cool has preview pages up from ASM #700. I wouldn't even go over there because the headline alone is spoilery.
  • Options
    Yeah, it really makes you think this is all very temporary.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited November 2012
    the lengths they go to make geeks hunger for their products >:)
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I don't mind. It's a story...and it's not if the changes are permanent, it's if the story is fun. And, seeing the preview of #700, I am SO going to trust Dan Slott on this.

• Options

Mr_Cosmic said:

I don't mind. It's a story...and it's not if the changes are permanent, it's if the story is fun. And, seeing the preview of #700, I am SO going to trust Dan Slott on this.

Absolutely, I'm right there with you :)
  • Options
    I haven't been keeping up with ASM (in the Brand New Day era I switched from trades to reading it on the Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited, but I have got way behind). So I can't speak to what led to this, but this sounds fun. A wacky, unusual story. Maybe the potential for memorable moments.

And- as Cory said above- it's a story. And the stories have to come from somewhere. Things need to get strange and messed up before they get right-sided again.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    I was impressed with this issue, I did not see the "Twist" coming.

If they go forward with this into the new Superior series then I am on. I was worried with Slott making the statement that it would not be Peter as Spider-Man but someone else I was thinking it would be somebody like the 616 version of Miles Morales and Peter would be written out of his own book.

The only downside is now I have to find my issues of Ends of the Earth and try to figure how Doc Ock did it.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Webhead said:

I was impressed with this issue, I did not see the "Twist" coming.

If they go forward with this into the new Superior series then I am on. I was worried with Slott making the statement that it would not be Peter as Spider-Man but someone else I was thinking it would be somebody like the 616 version of Miles Morales and Peter would be written out of his own book.

The only downside is now I have to find my issues of Ends of the Earth and try to figure how Doc Ock did it.

Ditto. Loved it. I went back an re-read it immediately. Can't wait to see how Doc Ock pulled it off, just how long he has been "peter" and how the real Parker is going to get out of this mess.

Slott just keeps knocking Amazing out of the park.