Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Amazing Spider-Man 698 - SPOILERS AHOY!!~!

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The impression I got was that he has only been "peter" for a short time. When we see that little ock bot crawling saying "peter.." I think that was Ock's intelligence going out to find and switch with the real Peter Parker. Who knows.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited November 2012

Absolutely loved this issue.

Just a side rant. Can we have a conversation about current Spidey without someone dropping in to remind us they dont like the book after OMD? Some of us still read the book and want to discuss the current story. This happens with every single Spidey thread and it gets old. If you don't have anything new to add except that you havent read it in 100 issues maybe you can just keep that to yourself and let the people who read Spidey talk about it.

Add The Clone Saga to the mix. That's used as a regular jumping off point as well.

I also feel the same way with the whole SpyGate bit. Any chance the Pats-haters get to bring it up, they do.

M
  • Options
    Webhead said:

The only downside is now I have to find my issues of Ends of the Earth and try to figure how Doc Ock did it.

I think you have to go quite a bit farther back than that, at least to see beginnings of the plan.

• Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The impression I got was that he has only been "peter" for a short time. When we see that little ock bot crawling saying "peter.." I think that was Ock's intelligence going out to find and switch with the real Peter Parker. Who knows.

Yeah it's gotta be the Ock Bots.

My guess is after Doc Ock's body dies we will find out that Peter personality has not been replaced but is being suppressed by the Ock Bots. They are acting like antennas and broadcasting Doc Ock personality directly over Peter's personality.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    As "comic booky" as that twist was, I still didn't see it coming. I wondered why Peter was acting so confident, to the point of cockiness, but made a little joke to myself that Slott was making this "Peter Parker, the Hubristic Spider-Man" and setting him up for a fall. Then, BAM. Sinister is best when it's subtle like this. I mean, think about it, Octavius is even fooling Wolverine! Not an easy feat.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    This was an interesting twist and I kind of liked it. Here are two of my theories going forward but I doubt it's the way they will go. What if:

A. Somehow by the end of this run, Peter and Otto's personalities get meshed together creating Superior Spider-Man?
    B. Peter gets his body back but an imprint of Otto remains and gives Peter a darker edge that he didn't have before?
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    That was a great twist. I haven't read Amazing in a few years but started back with 696. So I have a question how long has Otto been Peter?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Mihawk said:

That was a great twist. I haven't read Amazing in a few years but started back with 696. So I have a question how long has Otto been Peter?

That's just it, we don't know yet.

• Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Greg said:

Mihawk said:

That's just it, we don't know yet.

Agreed

It go back as ASM 600 (first appearance of 10 armed Doc Ock and his Octo Bots) for all we know, my guess is Ends of the Earth storyline (ASM 682-687)
  • Options
    Did anyone else find the art work really bad? Parts of it really hurt the eyes.

• Options
    I think the Octobots going around NY will end up being controlled by Peter not Otto.
  • Options

I really enjoyed the art quite a bit.

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited November 2012
    This was the first ASM issue I have read since OMD. I bought some trades that I have not read yet. So the embargo is lifted. That being said that issue was soooo good. I heard rumors of the change but it got me anyway. I guess that Doc Ock will be the Superior Spider-man because it makes so much sense that he would see himself as the SUPERIOR Spider-man. I thought the name was stupid but now it makes sense. Makes a lot of sense now. And as Mr. Cosmic said earlier I did read it a second time because I had to go back and catch the dialogue.

Also even though I had not read any of the previous 140+ issues since OMD I did not feel like I needed to know anything before this issue. I can go back and catch up but all I needed to know that Dock Ock and Spidey are mortal enemies, Peter and MJ have some sort of relationship, Spidey is an Avenger and Aunt May is sick or infirmed. Its almost like nothing changed.

I would suggest to my former fellow boycotters maybe pick-up these three issues. I decided its Spidey's 50th and his 700th issue and should be celebrated. Just a suggestion.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Same hear, I thought the art was pretty good, would like to se more of it.
  • Options
    Hex said:

I would suggest to my former fellow boycotters maybe pick-up these three issues. I decided its Spidey's 50th and his 700th issue and should be celebrated. Just a suggestion.

Well said... time to put aside silly grudges and celebrate awesome comics!
    Group hug!
    I'm not looking to piss into anyone's Spidey cereal bowl here, but I'm glad there are people coming back to the Webheaded fold. Although I initially boycotted the title post-OMD, that feeling only lasted initially. My reluctance to read Spidey since OMD (and Batman for that matter) has come down to not caring about what's happening. Just because I have not collected or read the issues, doesn't mean I don't keep up with the character. Slott has "matured" Spider-man, but there has been nothing that's made me want to come back into the fold. Even this. It might sound interesting to people, and I will not be grudge them, but I had a chance to read 698 to 700 without spending a dime (apparently the show will be doing ASM #700 for Off the Racks), but I just don't have any interest (even seeing the released pages from ASM #700.)

M.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Matt said:

I just don't have any interest (even seeing the released pages from ASM #700.)
    M.

Hey, each to their own. If Spidey is no longer your thing than so be it. There are plenty of other great comics out there that deserve your hard earned money. I'm just saying that I think it is silly to miss out on great comics because of some storyline that was done years ago that you didn't agree with.

If I had stopped getting FF because I was pissed that they ruined poor Johnny's marriage to Alicia by turning her into a skrull imposture all those years ago (and I was pissed), I would have missed out on some really fun stories.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I find these "approval" indications humorous. I got 2 dislikes (so far) on my opinion. That's funny.
    Hex said:

Matt said:

M.

Hey, each to their own. If Spidey is no longer your thing than so be it. There are plenty of other great comics out there that deserve your hard earned money. I'm just saying that I think it is silly to miss out on great comics because of some storyline that was done years ago that you didn't agree with.

If I had stopped getting FF because I was pissed that they ruined poor Johnny's marriage to Alicia by turning her into a skrull imposture all those years ago (and I was pissed), I would have missed out on some really fun stories.
    I see what you're saying. My boycott ended about 6 months (if that) after BND started. Not reading Spidey after that point (it's an easy reference point, like using the Clone Saga) was more just because I haven't found the storylines to be interesting. No worries though, I feel the same way about the movie Avatar (that $2 billion+ has not involved 1 penny of my money.)

I felt the same way about the ASM movie until Los Pants loaned me his copy...yeah, I was better off having not seen it.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

I find these "approval" indications humorous. I got 2 dislikes (so far) on my opinion. That's funny.

Hex said:

Matt said:

M.

I see what you're saying. My boycott ended about 6 months (if that) after BND started. Not reading Spidey after that point (it's an easy reference point, like using the Clone Saga) was more just because I haven't found the storylines to be interesting. No worries though, I feel the same way about the movie Avatar (that $2 billion+ has not involved 1 penny of my money.)

I felt the same way about the ASM movie until Los Pants loaned me his copy...yeah, I was better off having not seen it.

M
    I am waiting to get a Redbox coupon to only pay $1 for ASM on blu-ray. I would like to hear your thoughts in detail on the show or here.
  • Options

Matt said:

Hex said:

Matt said:

M.

M
    I am waiting to get a Redbox coupon to only pay $1 for ASM on blu-ray. I would like to hear your thoughts in detail on the show or here.
    I added my thoughts to the episode thread (episode 1246)

M.
  • Options
    Not to derail the thread but I thought the ASM movie was terrible(just saw it last week). Boring and moody with a villain that has lame goals.
  • Options
    Greg said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

That's fair enough, maybe I'm being a bit picky but this

is just plain awful to me.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Greg said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

See to me that is decent artwork. Nothing amazing but far from awful.

To me this image

is awful.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Greg said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

To me this image

is awful.
    I dont think its that awful, dated sure but I mean, it gets the job done.

Also you have to be impressed that the woman in the lower right is essentially naked and they STILL managed to give her pouches.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

Greg said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

To me this image

is awful.

Also you have to be impressed that the woman in the lower right is essentially naked and they STILL managed to give her pouches.
    I find the artwork to be 5th rate Chap Yaep.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Greg said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

To me this image

is awful.

and also the fact that it's not in one of the flag ship comics of Marvel makes it more acceptable.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Greg said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I dunno -- this is the first time I've seen this panel and it sure makes me wince. The faces have an unusual distortion to them. Who's the artist here?
    dubbat138 said:

To me this image

is awful.

Wow! Even Chic Stone's inking couldn't save it!
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Greg said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

To me this image

is awful.

and also the fact that it's not in one of the flag ship comics of Marvel makes it more acceptable.
    I disagree,all comics should have at the very least average artwork. That issue of Team Anarchy sums up all my issues with 90s indy artwork.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Greg said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

To me this image

is awful.

I disagree,all comics should have at the very least average artwork. That issue of Team Anarchy sums up all my issues with 90s indy artwork.

I agree that all comics should have at least average art work but I can live with indy art work being a little rough. On the other hand when I'm spending good money for one of the biggest selling Marvel books I expect the art work to not look like the characters have flat faces or out of proportion bodies.