Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1313 Talkback: Spotlight on Spider-Man in the Modern Age

Comments

• Options
    I loved Phil Urich in C. B. Cebulski's LONERS series. I am sad to hear he is a bad guy now. I guess his attempt to quit superheroics backfired
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Peter said:

Jamie's talking about the actual event of 9/11 itself. Where the characters are used to "explore" that specific situation. It's why it's called the 9/11 issue. Actual specific event. None of the ones John mentioned are specific. John - If you've listened to the show in the past with that level of scrutiny you'd have heard Jamie acknowledge a hundred times the notion that comics deal with real world themes, especially Marvel. You know exactly what he meant. Sheesh.

What he said B-)
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Matt said:

If I may interject here; the 9/11 issue seemed different from some of John's examples. It's just my POV, but I felt more of an attachment to this issue because it was in our backyard. I don't know anyone I'm close with who had drug or alcohol issues, AIDS, etc. God Love, Man Kills have realistic themes, but didn't seem to be connected to a specific incident (from what I recall.) Cap in WW or 'Nam are stories I'll admit to have not read, but again I didn't live during these, nor did they really occur on US soil. Maybe if I lived in an area this issues occurred they would have the same feel as the 9/11 issue.

With THAT POV, I can clearly see how Jamie meant his comment.

M

Now, I don't mind criticism, but how can someone give this post with my opinion "dislike"? I understand disagreeing with it, but disliking?!

I wish people needed to post why they chose a specific feedback. More out of curiosity for responses that just don't seem to be the most accurate selection based on the post.

M
  • Options
    Dude, take your own advice about reacting to comments , or what have you
  • Options

Dude, take your own advice about reacting to comments , or what have you

I never said I was hurt by it (verbal punches are useless against me), as a learned person (and detective), I'm just curious about the thought-process.

M

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    edited December 2012
    Let me say the point about new readers coming in because of a movie. I agree that new readers don't come in droves. But I will say X-Men in 2000 did get at least me back to the comic shop.
  • Options

Glad to hear the love for Paul Jenkins's run on Peter Parker: Spider-Man. I've mentioned it on these forums before, but issue #33, "Maybe Next Year..." is my favorite single issue comics story of all time. It's about dads and baseball and tradition, and came out at a time when my own baseball-loving dad was dealing with cancer and not expected to make it (though, miraculously, he did), so it really hit all the right buttons with me. And though we're Red Sox fans in our family, and this story involves the Mets, well, fans of the hard luck teams have a lot more in common then we all like to believe.

Also, this story is the reason it makes me furious when they depict Peter as liking the Yankees. Come on, CLEARLY he'd be a Mets fan... they have "the Parker luck" as much as he does. Spidey's the Charlie Brown of New York superheroics, and the Mets (historically) are the Charlie Browns of New York baseball!

I cannot agree with this last statement more. I think it was already established that Peter was a Mets fan (I know Ben Grimm is). Plus the Mets are more the Working Man's team, too. For that reason alone, I cannot re-read this issue.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

I cannot agree with this last statement more. I think it was already established that Peter was a Mets fan (I know Ben Grimm is). Plus the Mets are more the Working Man's team, too. For that reason alone, I cannot re-read this issue.

It may have been established prior to this, but it's definitely a huge part of the story here, since Uncle Ben and Peter made pilgrimages to see the Mets (lose) at Shea once a year.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Another episode to add to my CGS Spidey playlist.
    I have read almost none of these stories from the 2000s, but I could listen to the guys discuss back issues with Chris Eberle all day.
  • Options
    I always thought the Thing was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan!
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    The Modern Age recaps really short sheeted the Brand New Day era. While I violently disagreed with the whole Mephisto/Mary Jane fiasco the stories that carried on in it's aftermath were great on a whole. Rotating creative teams, a few very strong additions to the Rogue's Gallery ( one in particular with Mr Negative). Chris Bacchalo, Emma Rios, Marcos Martin, the return of the Hammerhead, Shocker, Molten Man , the f%*king Grizzly. American Son, Six Ways to Die were two very exciting arcs. Do not make the mistake of disregarding about 150 issues of Amazing continuity because Joe Quesada traded Aunt May for Mary Jane.
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

The Modern Age recaps really short sheeted the Brand New Day era. While I violently disagreed with the whole Mephisto/Mary Jane fiasco the stories that carried on in it's aftermath were great on a whole. Rotating creative teams, a few very strong additions to the Rogue's Gallery ( one in particular with Mr Negative). Chris Bacchalo, Emma Rios, Marcos Martin, the return of the Hammerhead, Shocker, Molten Man , the f%*king Grizzly. American Son, Six Ways to Die were two very exciting arcs. Do not make the mistake of disregarding about 150 issues of Amazing continuity because Joe Quesada traded Aunt May for Mary Jane.

Sorry. I stopped dead cold after One More Day and have not touched an issue of Spider-Man since then. OMD was only part of the reason -- I was bummed that JMS, a writer I liked and whose stories I thoroughly (or at least nearly thoroughly) enjoyed, left -- and I wasn't keen on continuing a book that, at the time, was triple-shipping each month. So far as I was concerned, that was a triple-whammy that soured me on the title and has kept me from coming back. Doesn't even matter that the shipping has eased back to a 'monthly'.
  • Options

Sorry. I stopped dead cold after One More Day and have not touched an issue of Spider-Man since then. OMD was only part of the reason -- I was bummed that JMS, a writer I liked and whose stories I thoroughly (or at least nearly thoroughly) enjoyed, left -- and I wasn't keen on continuing a book that, at the time, was triple-shipping each month. So far as I was concerned, that was a triple-whammy that soured me on the title and has kept me from coming back. Doesn't even matter that the shipping has eased back to a 'monthly'.

But those complaints are all about process not result. The stories that resulted from Quesada's folly were strong and I think you do an dis-service to yourself to dismiss 4+ years of Amazing Spiderman because it triple shipped for a year or so or that JMS left. Much of it is fun, good stuff. Pick some of it up. You will not be disapointed.

• Options
    shroud68 said:

But those complaints are all about process not result. The stories that resulted from Quesada's folly were strong and I think you do an dis-service to yourself to dismiss 4+ years of Amazing Spiderman because it triple shipped for a year or so or that JMS left. Much of it is fun, good stuff. Pick some of it up. You will not be disapointed.

I expect I probably will eventually pick up the book again. Someday.

But it isn't going to happen anytime soon. Certainly not in the immediate future. And I'm not going to be going back to pick up the past 150 or so issues I've passed; too much to read and more than I can afford, even at bargain bin prices.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    shroud68 said:

I agreed with dropping Spidey after OMD for the same type of reasons...but that lasted for about 6 months. Afterward, I heard about the different storylines and just had no interest in them.

The new villains didn't sound interesting (I did read the first chapter of BND & really didn't think much of Negative.) I did read the return of Black Cat because, well, its the freaking Black Cat!

I've heard the same stuff about Morrison and the post-OYL Batman. I'm sure the writing was great, but if the plotlines don't interest me, then I cannot justify the time and expense.

M
  • Options
    My point is that one should not automatically dismiss Brand New Day because of One More Day without sampling it. I have heard too often "I did not pick it up because........ X or Y or Z. " If that is the case you missed great stuff. Not 100 % of the time but there was good stuff in there that people miss because of an unnessecary line in the sand. Comics are dynamic. Things change.

If you read it and disliked it than my post was not directed at you.
  • Options

shroud68 said:

I expect I probably will eventually pick up the book again. Someday.

But it isn't going to happen anytime soon. Certainly not in the immediate future. And I'm not going to be going back to pick up the past 150 or so issues I've passed; too much to read and more than I can afford, even at bargain bin prices.

I am not suggesting you pick up 150 issues. I actually say "pick some of it up". Any Spiderman fan would enjoy Issue#600's main story among other arcs. Just sample the past 150 issues without the lense of what an a*#hole Joe Quesada is.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    having sinus issues and the argument was giving me a headache so i just skipped to where I can talk

Chris did another wonderful job, has been a highlight every time I saw it was a new spidey episode cause he'd be on it

I hope in the future Christ and Murd can find something to do a due episode on sometime. I have a feeling they could deconstruct a topic so eloquently that the topic itself would sign up for the forum and thank them for it.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Krescan said:

I hope in the future Christ and Murd

Now that would be an episode.

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    OK apparently I have a serious problem when typing Chris to put a T on the end, this is the 3rd time this has happened lately.

I didn't mention the sinus headaches so I'm going to stick with that
  • Options
    it was surprising that no-one within the group had read any of Brand new day or big time to point out the merits of those 100 issues. I heard a little praise for American Son (which WAS great) but I think the new direction for Mysterio, Spidey's POV during Dark Reign and Siege, Slott's major contributions of things like Spider-Island and the Doc Ock story leading up to the 698-700 arc, Anyone? Anyone? (In My Ben Stien Voice)
  • Options
    I recall being very drained on Spidey after OMD (much like I was after riding out the Clone Saga) that I used the chance to "jump off" the title. Now I will admit I was also boycotting the title after the events of OMD...but that really only lasted for about 6 months.

I thought the idea of having rotating teams for BND was very novel. The general consensus was that some were worth reading or they were subpar (no middle ground). By the time Slott took over, I just did not care about the character anymore. The storylines I saw just did not seem interesting enough for me to jump back in. Plus, I did not want to go back and filling in the gaps.

If I recall correctly, OMD was to both erase the marriage and to de-age Peter Parker. Slott's run seemed to mature him again. The character was using more of his scientific mind to fight villains, create alternate costumes for certain situations, even increase his arsenal on the utility belt. Interesting enough, Peter noted the new webshooters Ben Reilly created when Pete was filling in as the Scarlet Spider briefly.

Throw in the drunk one-night stand that did...then didn't happen and this Spidey seemed to be growing (maturing?), but he seemed too different to what I enjoyed (the old Parker luck where he wouldn't have been able to afford this Spidey arsenal.)

I think one of the big things that kept me away was Spidey being on FF and Avengers (New, Mighty, whatever group.) He went to all those lengths to save Aunt May to just go back and reveal his identity to "co-workers." It might not seem like THAT big a deal, but then why didn't he do that years ago? (I also have the same issue with Batman revealing his identity to the JLA.) Spidey may be growing and maturing, but I will always prefer him as a loner.

M.
  • Options
    crashmurdochcrashmurdoch Posts: 5
    edited December 2012
    Well, I'm not sure about the Avengers, but the FF have known who Spidey was for quite some time, and they might not have been altered by one more day. I know the Avengers sort of found out by accident during the breakout storyline and follow-up formation of the New Avengers team.

I never really had a problem with Spidey, Thing, and Wolverine being on more than one team at first. Since they all lived in the New York area it was just a quick web swing/fantastic car/Quinjet ride to where they were needed. It got crazy when you read all 5 monthly titles (Avengers, FF, Spidey, X-men, and Wolverine), and saw them in different places at the same time, it got worse when Avengers got multiple titles and Wolverine showed up in every X-title every month.

That's one of the reason I've been loving the new Ultimate Universe since the relaunch. 1 character, 1 place, 1 time. If you see Spidey fighting along side the Ultimates in the desert, guess what, in Ultimate Spider-man he's fighting alongside the Ultimates in the desert!
  • Options
    That's understandable matt from a personal stand point, but the show couldn't find anyone who HAD been reading for the last 100 issues? That's a big jump from 2008 to 2012, and again significant stuff happened in the spidey-verse before the start of the Dying Wish story
  • Options

That's understandable matt from a personal stand point, but the show couldn't find anyone who HAD been reading for the last 100 issues? That's a big jump from 2008 to 2012, and again significant stuff happened in the spidey-verse before the start of the Dying Wish story

We did, Dan said he has read all of those issues and Chris read it off and on, both commented on it. They just didnt feel much off significance happened in their opinion, they did make mention of a few stories but we did have people on that read them. Just to point out an error you made.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    edited December 2012
    I think you are screaming at a wall Mr. D. This dude is so negative toward CGS.
  • Options
    JDick said:

I think you are screaming at a wall Mr. D. This dude is so negative toward CGS.

not negative just a nitpicker and it takes all kinds so he is welcome to pick his nits just get it right if you do

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    (TMI and slightly off topic post alert):

I never used to know what "nit picking" referred to until my daughter came home with head lice from a sleep over. After you've spent hours picking nits(tiny eggs) you'll never hear that phrase again without a shudder.