Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1313 Talkback: Spotlight on Spider-Man in the Modern Age

13»

Comments

• Options
    The point that I made was that even the i

That's understandable matt from a personal stand point, but the show couldn't find anyone who HAD been reading for the last 100 issues? That's a big jump from 2008 to 2012, and again significant stuff happened in the spidey-verse before the start of the Dying Wish story

This was the point that I was trying to make as well. As thorough as your reviews were of the past ages, it was disappointing to see such a large gap completely ignored. Again as I said in my first post, what was there was great, and I don't think anyone is denying it. I think you might have gotten a few complaints if you skipped a storyline or two, but you all skipped 4 years of spider-man continuity! Somebody pull up a wiki and write some notes! lol

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited December 2012

That's understandable matt from a personal stand point, but the show couldn't find anyone who HAD been reading for the last 100 issues? That's a big jump from 2008 to 2012, and again significant stuff happened in the spidey-verse before the start of the Dying Wish story

This was the point that I was trying to make as well. As thorough as your reviews were of the past ages, it was disappointing to see such a large gap completely ignored. Again as I said in my first post, what was there was great, and I don't think anyone is denying it. I think you might have gotten a few complaints if you skipped a storyline or two, but you all skipped 4 years of spider-man continuity! Somebody pull up a wiki and write some notes! lol

To be fair, the spotlights have always been, from the beginning, the guys talking about the issues they've read, or what stood out to them. They were always meant to be a discussion, and not a complete guidebook or a dry info dump. If they left out stories you wanted to hear them discuss, then I get why that would be frustrating. And personally I think there has been a lot of great work in the Brand New Day era. But I don't think them researching stories a lot of them haven't read just to complete the era would be the organic way of going about the discussion.

Put another way, if you want them to be reading information off Wikipedia, then you are better off just going to Wikipedia yourself, you know what I mean?
  • Options
    More OMD hate, I need to find a support group for people who enjoy post OMD Spidey. The irrational and all consuming hatred of this direction is getting old at this point.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited January 2013

I find this post very interesting. I recall in the past when I mentioned I looked to wikipedia (and forums) for what was happening in Batman after I stopped reading due to Morrison, I got criticized because apparently I "did not get the full experience" and "couldn't enjoy the writings of Morrison."

All water under the bridge, but I agree, a wikipedia search, google search, and a forum check can give you an overview of what happened.

More OMD hate, I need to find a support group for people who enjoy post OMD Spidey. The irrational and all consuming hatred of this direction is getting old at this point.

Well, if its any comfort to you, more people must have enjoyed it since it has lasted so long.

And is it all hate, or just some people who didn't find post OMD "gush" worthy? I did not hate what occurred post OMD, I just did not find it interesting enough to pick up the issues or trades to read. I was happy stopping my run where I did.

M
  • Options
    Matt-

It does give me comfort knowing that. I can appreciate people not liking the new direction of the story but to be honest it seems most people didn't give it a chance at all and simply refused to read it.