Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

All-Star Superman

Really simple question here: What the hell happened? I finally got around to reading All-Star Superman and have no clue what the eff happened. It felt like it was important, but I just have no clue what was going on. (Unpopular Opinion Alert) It may be due to how much I really don't like Morrison's writing, which is a whole other story or maybe it just didn't click with me or maybe it is because I don't like my Superman with unlimited knowledge. IDK. I read it intently, yet it yielded no results. I know it is supposed to be real awesome, but I just don't get. However, I would love some insight from others because I want to enjoy it, but as of right now, it was kinda a waste to me.
P.S. Please no answers just calling me a nube.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    You know, I can identify. I loved the series up until the last issue and it either was a dud, or went over my head. I feel like the issue where Clark is interviewing Lex in prison was a particularly interesting one... which I liked the details and plot of, but was constantly trying to figure out characters' motivations, etc.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I feel like the issue where Clark is interviewing Lex in prison was a particularly interesting one...
    That issue was the only one I really got in to. I wish they all were like that

• Options
    Did you read it all in one stroke? Take one issue at a time and spread some space between issues. Each issue is meant to have a one and done story, but interlocking between issues. If you have more time to digest it, it reads better because you can think and see the links between issues.
  • Options
    Did you read it all in one stroke? Take one issue at a time and spread some space between issues. Each issue is meant to have a one and done story, but interlocking between issues. If you have more time to digest it, it reads better because you can think and see the links between issues.
    I read like one issue a night. I saw the links, but they were not particularly interest me. It prob would have been better reading one issue each month as it is coming out though.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'd say to give the animated movie a shot, but I guess it's pretty much a streamlined version of the comics? (Which I haven't read)
  • Options

I read like one issue a night. I saw the links, but they were not particularly interest me. It prob would have been better reading one issue each month as it is coming out though.

Each issue a night sounds fine. I read them in trade as well, not in single issues. But I remember they didnt come out timely, but all in all I'd say it was worth the wait.

I will agree with @DoctorDoom that the animated movie is good, but if you just didn't like the story you may not like the film.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I have tired 3 or 4 times to read this series and I alwasy end up giving up on it. Just proves to me that Morrison is great at writing b-level heroes or creator owned stuff,but when you put him on an A-level hero it just doesn't work. I love his Doom Patrol and Animal Man runs. But ASS and his Batman run didn't work for me. Wait maybe there is a reason All star superman abrivates to ASS.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    It is an homage to silver age Superman stories. I'm with @DoctorDoom rent or download the movie. I think it is the second best if not the best Superman movie ever made.

That's right.

Best.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    It is an homage to silver age Superman stories. I'm with @DoctorDoom rent or download the movie. I think it is the second best if not the best Superman movie ever made.

That's right.

Best.
    Not that the bar is very high...
  • Options

That's right.

Best.
    I think there are some Chris Reeves fans who might object on Superman I and II, but for a Superman movie, I think All-Star delivers more of what is great about superman and some outstanding character moments too.

I believe it was the last script Dwayne McDuffie wrote before his death.

• Options
    I think there are some Chris Reeves fans who might object on Superman I and II, but for a Superman movie,
    I know it's heretical, but I think the Christopher Reeve Superman films were utterly lame.

I think George Reeves was much better. I liked his smart, competent Clark Kent far more than Reeve's bumbling schmuck.

But I've yet to see a live-action version of Superman who actually seemed "super".

A-SS at least demonstrated how truly powerful Superman can be.
  • Options
    I think there are some Chris Reeves fans who might object on Superman I and II, but for a Superman movie,
    Yep. That's what I loved about all-star superman.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    @wetrats
    I made the disagree face as I disagreed with your lame comment.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Really simple question here: What the hell happened? I finally got around to reading All-Star Superman and have no clue what the eff happened. It felt like it was important, but I just have no clue what was going on. (Unpopular Opinion Alert) It may be due to how much I really don't like Morrison's writing, which is a whole other story or maybe it just didn't click with me or maybe it is because I don't like my Superman with unlimited knowledge. IDK. I read it intently, yet it yielded no results. I know it is supposed to be real awesome, but I just don't get. However, I would love some insight from others because I want to enjoy it, but as of right now, it was kinda a waste to me.
    P.S. Please no answers just calling me a nube.
    You know, as much as I liked this, I had to read this a few times to kind of get it better and I agree that the movie does a good job of telling the story as well. Not to mention it's just another great animated DC movie. As far as the plot, from what I gathered, Superman falls for a scheme devised by Lex Luthor in which he's....I think he somehow absorbed too much yellow sun which is killing him. Knowing this, Superman goes on a quest to complete some things before he dies. I guess you could say the story is about Superman's bucket list. That's what I got out of the story and I hope that helps a bit.

• Options
    @wetrats
    For the record, I said I think those movies are lame.

Is it really lame of me to say what I think?

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited April 2012
    Honest disagreement is often a good sign of progress.
    Mahatma Gandhi
  • Options
    edited April 2012

That's right.

Best.
    I'm with you. I really don't care for the Reeve movies.

I've honestly enjoyed the animated ones more, including All-Star Superman.
  • Options

That's right.

Best.
    I think I can get behind that.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I know it's heretical, but I think the Christopher Reeve Superman films were utterly lame.

I think George Reeves was much better. I liked his smart, competent Clark Kent far more than Reeve's bumbling schmuck.

But I've yet to see a live-action version of Superman who actually seemed "super".

I agree the Chris Reeves Superman films are so damn over-rated. Even as a kid I didn't like them.

• Options
    I agree the Chris Reeves Superman films are so damn over-rated. Even as a kid I didn't like them.
    The scripts and the direction are all over the place. It's like Reeve & Hackman are in entirely different movies.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Enjoyed both the Allstar Supes series and DTV (perhaps the dtv more). That said, that approach to supes is not my cup of tea and have no desire to see / read more of that take. Also, while I agree reeves Superman films are not w/o flaws, I consider that to be the best rendition to date personally.
    I still consider Superman1 to be the best superhero / comicbook movie to date. Some have come close, but even 30 years later its still the best.
  • Options
    @batlaw they did a lot within the limit of effects at the time and the slower pace to the superman origin is really well done I think.

I'm thinking there are a few better within the current wave that started in 2002 with spider- man. Spider-man I and II, Captain America, dark knight.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    edited April 2012
    @wetrats

Yes. Independent thought is discouraged. You are to be part of the Internet Hive-mind. You will be assimilated.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    @wetrats

Yes. Independent thought is discouraged. You are to be part of the Internet Hive-mind. You will be assimilated.
    I, for one, welcome assimilation by the Internet Hive-mind.
  • Options
    <<blockquote rel="WetRats">I, for one, welcome assimilation by the Internet Hive-mind.
    Welcome brother.... please hold on for a second while I get the microchip and hammer. Don't worry it's painless after the second whack.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    @wetrats

I just realized why in the heck you wrote that. I was thinking what in h-e-doublehockeysticks is his problem. he's never been one of those guys before. Lost in translation.
    duhh... does this read a little better
    I made the disagree face as I disagreed with your "lame" comment
    or to put it better though it works less: I made the disagree face as I disagreed with your Superman movies are lame comment.

but yes now that you have decided to join, all non-hive opinions are lame and should be shouted down with personal attacks and circular arguements.
  • Options
    @wetrats

I just realized why in the heck you worte that. I was think what in h-e-doublehockeysticks is his problem. he's never been one of those guys before. Lost in translation.
    duhh... does this read a little better
    I made the disagree face as I disagreed with your "lame" comment
    or to put it better though it works less: I made the disagree face as I disagreed with your Superman movies are lame comment.
    Thanks. Understood. My duhh...

I was a bit defensive/sensitive at the time after a vigorous discussion on another thread.
  • Options
    JimKellyJimKelly Posts: 20
    All-Star Superman took a 2 reads for me to really appreciate it, along with a little knowledge of quantum mechanics and cosmology. I think that some of the scientific stuff in All-Star Superman is pretty beautifully written/ beautiful in general, but I can definitely understand why people would not like Morrison's take on it
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    We discussed All Star Superman on the old forum, and talked about how it could be read as a final curtain call for the Bronze age Superman in the same way that Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? was the last story for the Silver Age version.

Superman learns that he is dying and overcomes his last challenges, and dies saving the world as he flies into the sun. Plus, there is a theory that Leo Quintum may be a future version of Luthor
  • Options
    I have been reading some more Morrison Superman and I think that is just it that I am not a Morrison fan in all stuff he writes and especially don't like his Superman. I have read Action 1-5 twice and am currently reading Final Crisis and Final Crisis: Superman Beyond (yeah, I know, I'm a newb) and I just don't like his Superman. I think I am just going to quit Morrison.