Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What do you search for in the cheap bins?

I am sure most people here love to dig through the dollar or cheaper bins at comic shops and cons. So I am wondering what do you look for? Are there any series you have discovered in the cheap bins you think maybe others here would like?

For me I am always looking for anything from Valiant,First,Eclipse and Blackthorne. Plus any issues of Swamp Thing,Doom Patrol and Hellblazer I don't already have. It was cause of digging through the cheap bins that I discovered great series like Badger,Grimjack and Jon Sable.

Comments

• Options
    I end up looking for Hellblazer issues I've missed along with Grendel. Then anything that catches my eye.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I don't usually look for anything specific in the cheap bins. I usually just look for anything that looks halfway decent that I don't own, especially if I can get either a full story or a set of consecutive issues.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited March 2012
    I look for anything that I might be missing in a run/series then move on to anything that looks insteresting, especially if I can get a good string of consecutive issues or complete runs. This is usually where I look for four to six issue mini series.
  • Options
    Guy Gardner ('92-'96)
    Guy Gardner Reborn
    Guy Gardener:Collateral Damage
    Yes, I'm a Guy Gardner fan.

MoonKnight ('80-'84)
    Marc Spector:MoonKnight ('89-'94)
    And about 4 MK minis

Sleepwalker

West Cost Avengers

Doctor Strange ('88-'96)
    Doctor Strange: Master of the Mystic Arts ('74-'87)

What the!?

Hellstrom:Prince of Lies ('93-'94)

Anything Ultraverse

Anything that looks interesting. I've found a ton of stuff in what I call my Back Issue LCS. All of the titles above I can find at that one store and have found a lot of the issues.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    Generally, I'm looking for particular artists. I always like to have issues that contain favorite artists around but don't have to worry about getting destroyed. Cheap bin/reader copies are perfect for this.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Guy Gardner ('92-'96)

Hellstorm is such an underrated series. I was working at a comic shop when it was coming out and almost no one bought it. I really need to get my run of it bound.
  • Options
    I'm always looking for comics I missed the first time around - particularly books from Eclipse and First and other independent publishers from the 80s. i've managed to gather full runs of Chaykin's American Flagg, Mike Grell's Jon Sable, and a scattering of Tim Truman's Scout, among many other cool comics from back in the day.

I also look for older Marvel and DC books - surprisingly, although I'm mainly a DC guy, I often seek out Marvel books from this time period (1970s/early80s) because of the great artists/writers and concepts that were being published by them at the time (I want those quirky series rather than the mainstream superhero books from the period).

And anything by Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko. When I was young, these two artists weren't really on my radar, they didn't speak to me then. But now, I devour anything by these stellar artists, and having the opportunity to read something new from Kirby or Ditko (new to me) is always a treat.

chris
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    If I see a full run of 15-20 plus books in a title that starts w/#1 I seriously consider grabbing it just to read the continuity of a title on the cheap.

Things I've grabbed in the past for no reason other than this: Power Pack, Hitman, Human Target, Resurrection Man, and others...
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Joe Kubert war comics.

100-Page Super Spectaculars.

Pretty much any old DCs with the groovy Go-Go Checkerboard.

Plop!
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    There are a few copper runs I'm working on that I would buy -- JLI/E/A, Marvel Team-Up, Avengers etc. I'm a sucker for a lot of Marvel minis from that era. There are some books that I will always buy out of a dollar bin when I see them -- JLI 1, Avengers 239, any assistant editors month issues.

60's and 70's Archies.

Any interesting Bronze that I don't have.

Sometimes runs I missed out on. Recently picked up the bulk of the Geoff Johns Flash run for 25 cents a piece at a big dollar bin sale.
  • Options
    I'm always looking for comics I missed the first time around - particularly books from Eclipse and First and other independent publishers from the 80s. i've managed to gather full runs of Chaykin's American Flagg, Mike Grell's Jon Sable, and a scattering of Tim Truman's Scout, among many other cool comics from back in the day.

I also look for older Marvel and DC books - surprisingly, although I'm mainly a DC guy, I often seek out Marvel books from this time period (1970s/early80s) because of the great artists/writers and concepts that were being published by them at the time (I want those quirky series rather than the mainstream superhero books from the period).

And anything by Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko. When I was young, these two artists weren't really on my radar, they didn't speak to me then. But now, I devour anything by these stellar artists, and having the opportunity to read something new from Kirby or Ditko (new to me) is always a treat.

chris

Yeah it was in the cheap bins that I discovered lots of great 80s indy stuff. And like you I will pick up any book that is cheap and has Steve Ditko artwork. I actually prefer Ditko's artwork to Kirby's.

Another 3 great series I make it a point to look for in the cheap bins are. Monster Menace,which is a 90s Marvel mini series that reprints lots of those great giant monster comics. Some of which have great Kirby or Ditko artwork. Curse of the Weird,another 90s Marvel mini series that reprints some great pre-code horror stuff. And also has some great Kirby and Ditko artwork. The last is Seduction of the innocent,this is a series from Eclipse that reprints lots of pre-code horror stuff. There is a 3-d issue that has a gorgeous Dave Stevens cover.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Complete mini-series runs, trades or oversized oneshots, obscure or oddball stuff, 90's Image that I don't have, anything signed, and either French or Japanese stuff with great art. Occasionally I'll cherry pick #1s that are worth a lot but I usually don't if there is a full run just to not be an ass. It bugs me when that happens to me so I try to refrain from it except for really specific circumstances.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    X-Men stuff and Death's Head.
  • Options
    I have been slowly collecting a complete run of all the Marvel UK stuff outta cheap bins over the past 4 years.

• Options
    Guy Gardner ('92-'96)

Hellstorm is such an underrated series. I was working at a comic shop when it was coming out and almost no one bought it. I really need to get my run of it bound.
    Yeah it is. I've found 1-7 in the bins and I'm pretty sure if I look I'll be able to find 8-21 at the same store. They need to do something with him. A max title would be great.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Green Lantern (from various series)
    DC Comics Presents
    Marvel Two-In-One
    Marvel Team-Up
  • Options
    With con season started I have about 20 issues each from ROM, Spider-Woman and Marvel Two-In-One that are still needed. Been hitting up some flea markets too.
  • Options
    Guy Gardner ('92-'96)

Yeah it is. I've found 1-7 in the bins and I'm pretty sure if I look I'll be able to find 8-21 at the same store. They need to do something with him. A max title would be great.
    I know that the last 2 issues were very short printed and much harder to find than the rest of the series. Friend of mine finally gave up looking in the cheap bins for them and I want to say paid like 4 bucks for issue 20 and 8 for issue 21.

• Options
    With con season started I have about 20 issues each from ROM, Spider-Woman and Marvel Two-In-One that are still needed. Been hitting up some flea markets too.

For years those were 3 of the series I was searching out in the cheap bins. And thanks to rights issues we will most likely never get trades of ROM. And with 2 in 1 there is 2 issues they can't reprints. Issue 21 which has Doc Savage and issue 99 that has ROM.
  • Options
    Luckily I have Marvel 2 in 1 #99, but #21 still eludes me.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Issue 21 which has Doc Savage
    Wow. I'd love to read that. I can see Ben taking Monk Mayfair's place and squabbling with Ham.
  • Options
    Luckily I have Marvel 2 in 1 #99, but #21 still eludes me.

I got lucky and found both issues at a comic shop that was closing. Want to say I ended up paying 2 bucks for each issue.
  • Options
    I got lucky and found both issues at a comic shop that was closing. Want to say I ended up paying 2 bucks for each issue.
    Not bad. I lost the majority of issues I had to water damage last spring. I've had help from some well known geeks in finding replacement issues. Annuals included I'm left with 21 issues to find.
  • Options
    Not bad. I lost the majority of issues I had to water damage last spring. I've had help from some well known geeks in finding replacement issues. Annuals included I'm left with 21 issues to find.
    I will keep my eye out for that issue for you brah.

• Options
    ^:)^
  • Options

Not a problem brah . I have had people on these forums find some comics for me that I had been looking for for years. So this is my way of paying that back.
  • Options
    I have been slowly collecting a complete run of all the Marvel UK stuff outta cheap bins over the past 4 years.

Nice!

I'm curious if you've found Death's Head: The Body in Question in one.

It's supposed to be a rarer comic, but I got it for a dollar. Weird.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Legion of Super-Heroes
    Aquaman
    Captain Marvel / Marvel Family appearances
    Fun looking Thing / Fantastic Four stories
    Anything goofy Silver or Bronze age stuff
  • Options

Nice!

That is one I don't have so far.And i have never seen a copy.

• Options

Nice!

That is one I don't have so far.And i have never seen a copy.

Nuts. Well good luck. If I ever see a copy at one of the cons I go to, I'll pick it up for you.