Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What do you search for in the cheap bins?

Comments

• Options

Yeah it was in the cheap bins that I discovered lots of great 80s indy stuff. And like you I will pick up any book that is cheap and has Steve Ditko artwork. I actually prefer Ditko's artwork to Kirby's.

Another 3 great series I make it a point to look for in the cheap bins are. Monster Menace,which is a 90s Marvel mini series that reprints lots of those great giant monster comics. Some of which have great Kirby or Ditko artwork. Curse of the Weird,another 90s Marvel mini series that reprints some great pre-code horror stuff. And also has some great Kirby and Ditko artwork. The last is Seduction of the innocent,this is a series from Eclipse that reprints lots of pre-code horror stuff. There is a 3-d issue that has a gorgeous Dave Stevens cover.
    Wow! I knew nothing of those two Marvel series. I will have to keep a look out for them now. I do have a couple of Seduction of the Innocent issues, and they're great. Fantastic little horror stories with a twist. they're always entertaining.

chris
  • Options
    I'm trying to complete my birds of prey & generation x runs but with only one good comic book store in the city i live in its kind of hard
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    @vampiresheep - mycomicshop and fearlessreaders are your friends.
  • Options
    Good sturdy build, enough space to rifle your fingers through the comics, alphabetically ordered and a GOOD cheap bin won't contain thirty copies of Bloodshot #4.

OH wait...

Captain Marvel Peter David's run, Thor Vol2, Iron Man Vol3.
  • Options
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Good sturdy build, enough space to rifle your fingers through the comics, alphabetically ordered and a GOOD cheap bin won't contain thirty copies of Bloodshot #4.

OH wait...

Captain Marvel Peter David's run, Thor Vol2, Iron Man Vol3.
    i hate when i walk over to a long box and there's no room to actually move the comics back to get a look at the next one, that box usually gets skipped and i'm sure there's good stuff in there

I usually look for stuff that might fill in gaps, but I usually end up getting Thing covers. Not a big fan of the Fantastic Four so mostly only get their stuff when there's a Ben Grimm that looks particularly good.

• Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Joe Kubert war comics.

100-Page Super Spectaculars.

Pretty much any old DCs with the groovy Go-Go Checkerboard.

Plop!
    @WetRats Im such a sucker for any of those 100 page DC books...

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Yeah it was in the cheap bins that I discovered lots of great 80s indy stuff. And like you I will pick up any book that is cheap and has Steve Ditko artwork. I actually prefer Ditko's artwork to Kirby's.

Another 3 great series I make it a point to look for in the cheap bins are. Monster Menace,which is a 90s Marvel mini series that reprints lots of those great giant monster comics. Some of which have great Kirby or Ditko artwork. Curse of the Weird,another 90s Marvel mini series that reprints some great pre-code horror stuff. And also has some great Kirby and Ditko artwork. The last is Seduction of the innocent,this is a series from Eclipse that reprints lots of pre-code horror stuff. There is a 3-d issue that has a gorgeous Dave Stevens cover.
    Wow! I knew nothing of those two Marvel series. I will have to keep a look out for them now. I do have a couple of Seduction of the Innocent issues, and they're great. Fantastic little horror stories with a twist. they're always entertaining.

chris
    It seems almost everyone has never heard of those 2 Marvel series. I remember when they were coming out ,but back then I had no interest in them. Then 3 years ago found complete runs of both series for 10 cents an issue.

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

Issue 21 which has Doc Savage and issue 99 that has ROM.
    Luckily I bought 99 off the rack and my older brother gave me his issue 21 when he stopped collecting comics.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Lately I'm looking to grab as much Black Panther as I can get my hands on. All eras, except for the wonderful Christopher Priest run in the late 90's that is epic (already got those).
  • Options
    Obviously it changes due to what I have but at the moment:
    Post-Crisis Superman books
    Legion of Superheroes Vol. 4 5YL and Post-Zero Hour.
    All-Star Squadron
    Suicide Squad
    Rom
    Mantra

(Series I have a majority of but need a few issues still)
    Amethyst
    Dazzler
    Captain Carrot
  • Options
    Firstly... girls

Then anything I can get my hands on.

Currently looking for Batman, Question and Green Arrow.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Lately I'm looking to grab as much Black Panther as I can get my hands on.
    So that's what the kids are calling it these days, huh?
    it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good

• Options
    There are no cheap bins near me. All issues are usually $4-5 a pop. Usually with little to no selection
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    There are no cheap bins near me. All issues are usually $4-5 a pop. Usually with little to no selection
    where are you?

• Options
    I have found that a comic shop that doesn't at least have a dollar bin is a comic shop I will rarely if ever go into. Out in Nederland Texas there was this great comic shop. It was nice and clean ,well lit,and the owner and his family were super nice. Plus he has 3 levels of cheap bins. One was 3 comics for a buck. One was dollar comics and the last one was the best one. For every 10 bucks you spent you could either go get 4 comics outta that bin or 1 magazine. Well in the mid 2000's the husband and wife seperated. And he got to where he couldn't handle being at the store anymore,mainly cause he had spent so much time there with his wife. So he sold the shop to 4 regular customers. As soon as they took over the store changed. Before those 4 guys had it the original owner did all he could to keep the store very family friendly. But once these guys took over all the walls were covered with "bad girl" art or posters of women in bikinis. Plus they took the cheap bin stuff ,threw it all in with the regular bins and marked all of it up to cover price. Another thing that made the old owner so good was for his regular customers,each week he would pick out a comic he thought that customer liked and throw it into their hold box. "I know you didn't ask me to order this for you,but here's a deal. This issue is free,all I ask is if you like it buy at least the next two issues. If you don't like it keep it for free." By doing this he introduced lots of people to comics they might not have ever read and I am sure he had plenty of people start regularing ordering those "free" titles. About 4 months after the new owners took over I went in and cancelled all my titles. They asked why and I told them the truth. I didn't like the way they were running the shop.Plus it pissed me off that they were selling ,for 20 bucks,copies of the Batman fan film Dead end on dvd. Now the previous owner ,if people asked about Dead End would either tell them where they could see it online or if they didn't have a computer he would burn them a copy for free. Last I heard the shop is barely hanging on.
  • Options
    where are you?

Australia. I have seen cheap bins but not in a few years. My old shop did $1 back issues to get rid of them but I know one store that has thousands upon thousands of back issues (one of those dingy grottos of a store) that will get out the Overstreet for every single thing. No cheap back issues ever. Even at cons they are pricey. I think it'll be better to buy from the US and ship them in. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that these comics were shipped into the country and they feel the need to make their money back... no matter how many years or decades that will take. Kind of lean here for comics.
  • Options
    Another fun series that I see in the cheap bins is Eclipse's Mr Monster presents series. Each issue has a theme,like say crime comics, horror,weird tales,etc. And they reprint public domain golden age stuff. I remember one issue was nothing but Jack Cole crime comics.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    JLA
    West Coast Avengers
    Flash
    Green Arrow
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Micronauts
    Atari Force
    Spidey Super Stories
    Black Panther (the Christopher Priest series)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

I try to find first appearances of obscure characters that I love. My last find was Marvel Premiere #32 the first Monark Starstalker.
  • Options
    Werewolf by Night, too.
  • Options
    fxmattfxmatt Posts: 78
    I look for any series people have recommended to me but I was too cheap to buy. Oh, and any issues of the Tick that will fill in my collection.
  • Options
    JLA
    West Coast Avengers
    Flash
    Green Arrow

West Coast Avengers and Green Arrow are two other series I also search out in the cheap bins.
  • Options
    There are a couple series that I had complete runs of as a kid (west coast avengers being one of them) that I sold when I was 20 to pay for a year teaching school in Africa. I was working/volunteering for a mission and needed to raise my own support. I've spent a fair amount of time trying to re-assemble that old collection.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Square bound reprints.
  • Options
    BetaRayBenBetaRayBen Posts: 50
    I only have one shop in town that has a dollar-section. It's about six longboxes worth. The focus of my collection is late 70's to late 80's, but I look for anything interesting in the dollar bins.

I'm especially a sucker for annuals and other extra-length issues.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    West Coast Avengers
    Web of Spider-Man

They were the first cheap bin stuff I ever got and I have stuck with it.
  • Options
    TheZoloTheZolo Posts: 27
    I really want to piece together the Captain America run with the ENERGY shield.