Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best Trade/Hardcover/OGN you read this week

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    @ctowner1: I remember really enjoying Millar's History of Jenny Sparks mini but I completely agree that it wasn't a patch on that issue. Ellis really had an amazing run in Wildstorm around then with Stormwatch, The Authority and Planetary. No-one else could really stack up to him around then.
    Back in March I got the last 4 trades of Ellis's run on Stormwatch for 3 bucks a trade. It was my first time reading them and they are fun. Sat on my backporch and read them all in about 2 hours.

• Options
    Simon and Kirby Library Superheroes

Got this from the local library. Great collection of Black Owl,Vandal Prince,Fighting American,Stuntman,Private Strong and The Fly comics.
  • Options
    Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil by Jeff Smith

Nice updating of the classic story. I wish Smith was on a regular Shazam book.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Locke & Key Hardcover #5. Soooooo good!
  • Options
    Shadowman from Valiant

Got this trade 2 years ago at a con for $5. And it was still sealed in the baggie with the extra comic. I have always enjoyed Shadowman,but before getting this trade had never read any of the early issues. I love how the origin is revealed. And that we get some great Steve Ditko artwork in this trade. Only drawback is the issues of Shadowman that were part of the Unity crossover are not reprinted in this trade. But that isn't a huge deal.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    For years I saw the cover to Charles Vess' "Spirits of the Earth" Spider-Man story advertised in the pages of my favorite comics. Last week I found a copy at my LCS for $5. The cover is so haunting and ominous with Spidey looking down from a dilapidated castle, and the interiors are just as beautiful. While I haven't read this yet, I can already tell it will be a favorite of mine. I'll probably get to it this weekend as I finish my Fables Deluxe Vol. 5 (which is brilliant--btw!). Cheers!

• Options
    The Cape - by Joe Hill, Jason Ciaramella and Zack Howard.

Really good story in the vein of the movie Chronicle. Very black humour in it. Up there with Hill's Locke and Key.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I read JLA/Avengers tpb, it was an interesting side journey from my usual reading. I read an issue then listened to CGS Murd & Peter's footnotes on the series over the last two days. I didn't know who all the Marvel villains nor the B & C list Avengers were so that did take away some enjoyment away as a reader. I had no problems w/ the art by Perez it was a stunning wonder to look at each issue. Busiek worked his magic on weaving a tale that comic fans nor matter the comic universe they are most loyal to (cough DC). So this "event" is worth a re-read in a few years similar to the 80s Crisis. I give it a 7 out of 10 overall rating based on my own comic reading experience. It should be noted that the footnotes hours of the series made me excited to go back and find oh who they were talking about in the podcast.

Matthew
  • Options
    Showcase presents Dial H for Hero

I first read Dial H back in the late 70s/early 80s and was a huge fan of the concept. So when I heard there was a Showcase trade coming out I had to get it. What a great trade,full of all kinds of Silver age goofiness. Perfect trade to read when you want something lightweight and easy to read.
  • Options
    Essential Fantastic Four volume 1

Years ago I read the first 4 issues of FF and enjoyed them. So when I found this trade cheap I grabbed it. Well reading it now,while I love the Kirby artwork,the stories just don't catch my attention. Normally with an Essential I can read the entire thing in about 3 or 4 days tops. This one took me over a month. I respect all that Stan Lee has done for comics,but outside of his stuff on Spidey and Dr Strange I haven't enjoyed his writing. Well at least I have the amazing Kirby artwork to look at.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    Underwater Welder

Jeff Lemire at his finest. Nuff said.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Just finished the Batman: Court of Owls trade...it reminded me just why I love Batman so much...Snyder and Capullo really knocked this out of the park...but boo on DC for leaving it on a cliffhanger. Not that I wasn't going to get part 2...
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Just read Streets of Gotham: Leviathan

I didn't see the Leviathan part until I got home (grabbed it at the library) or I might've been scared it was a Batman Inc. story. It's 3 2-part stories and one single issue. Just good stories by Paul Dini, Christopher Yost and Mike Benson. All of the stories were good, it's nothing epic but they were all decent and the art was good and I was happy with my.....whatever it is that you do from the library. Purchase/rental/checkout
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I read the complete Batman Death in the Family tpb over a few days time, it was a little of the old & new mixed together. Batman Death in the Family I read previously & A Lonely Place of Dying was new material for me. The first half of the collection despite its being outdated as a 80s by its detractors still holds up well in my opinion. The art on the first half of the collection was rock solid quality art minus the obvious looking photo of Iran's ruler at the time. The "Death" of Robin was the key shock for Batman fans and what happens to Joker in the last issue of this story was delivered justice for fans. Then we move to the second half that introduces a new character Tim Drake to the Batuniverse. It did seem awfully convenient that the new kid on the block figured it all out like a game of clue pretty dang easy but you roll with the punches. The art on the second half was pretty good just not great as the first half. I enjoyed seeing Two Face as the villain because I rarely see stories of him in it. Tim holds his own & makes himself a loyal ally to Batman & Nightwing w/ his quick wits & eager to learn from bruce. The last two panels of A Lonely Place of Dying that delivered the gold. The complete collection earns a 8.5 out of 10 stars rating. Time to burn the midnight oil and read something else.

Matthew
  • Options
    Showcase Presents The Warlord

I have always enjoyed Mike Grell's work. And this series is the best thing he has put out. Grell does a good job building the world in these early issues. And there is a nice surprise about the lead villain. I love how most issues start off with a nice double page spread. Plus the b/w artwork really shows off Grell's pencils.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed Batman Earth One
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    edited August 2012
    Just read BATMAN: EARTH ONE that I had checked out of the local library. It thought it was OK.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Finished Batman Inc. and I loved it. I know a lot of people don't like the way morrison writes batman but I love all the stuff he pulls from the past.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I was on vacation last week and and finished volumes 7-11 of Fables and the first JSA trade (Justice Be Done). Loved the Fables stories even though I thought vol 11 (War and Pieces) was a slight letdown for end of such a major story arch. Still a great read though.
  • Options
    peedmyselfpeedmyself Posts: 105
    I read Guy Delisle's Pyongyang, Shenzhen, and Burma Chronicles. His stuff was recommended on the Top 5 OGN episode, and they were worth the read. The Pyongyang one was particularly interesting.

Basically, Guy (or his wife) works in unfortunate parts of the world and he writes about his experiences there. Highly recommended! I'll have to track down Jerusalem soon.
  • Options
    The Mammoth book of Crime comics

Got this for $7 and it is more than worth it. 2 stories from Alan Moore,1 from Neil Gaiman,A great story from Jack Kirby and Joe Simon,Charles Burns has a creepy story,the Jack Cole "Murder Morphine and Me!",a Spirit story from Eisner and much more.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314

I read Guy Delisle's Pyongyang, Shenzhen, and Burma Chronicles. His stuff was recommended on the Top 5 OGN episode, and they were worth the read.

I'm glad someone else is reading and enjoying these. Jerusalem is his beefiest book yet, and just as good as the rest. Pyongyang is my favorite as well. I had the pleasure of meeting him at SPX a few years ago. A real gentleman.

• Options
    JCBJCB Posts: 51
    Sat down and read Parker vol. 3 Monday night and it melted my brain out of my ears for a bit. Easily my favorite of Darwyn's Parker stuff (and they're all SUPERB), and just good freaking FUN.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    JCB said:

Sat down and read Parker vol. 3 Monday night and it melted my brain out of my ears for a bit. Easily my favorite of Darwyn's Parker stuff (and they're all SUPERB), and just good freaking FUN.

Totally agree!! I loved it as well. I got to see him at a panel at SDCC - and his love of this material is really evident. You can see that he's really thought it out and he's putting everything he has into these books!

e
    L nny

• Options
    Loving American Vampire Vol. 3 HC!!
  • Options
    @ctowner1 Darwyn is just a master, I don't think he's done anything I haven't enjoyed.

@turnerfan77 The "Survival of the Fittest" Sean Murphy mini in that HC is amazing. He's becoming one of my all time faves pretty quickly.
  • Options
    Gotta ask,in American Vampire are the vampires "Anne Rice/Twilight" style vampires? Or are they more like more traditional modern vampires?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2012
    Figured this would be a neat way to get people talking about what they have read this week.

For me it would be "Howard the Duck Max". I am a huge Howard the duck fan and a huge Steve "RIP" Gerber fan. So finding this trade for 3 bucks was great. The comic is a fun parody of all the various Vertigo series that were huge back then. Plus the artwork is really well done. Kind of sucks that we will never get any new Howard stories from Mr Gerber. But at least he got to do this Max series. Which really besides some nudity there isn't much in here that couldn't be in a non-Max comic. So I ask my fellow CGS fans what was the best trade/hardcover/OGN you read this week.
  • Options
    FarGalaxyKnightFarGalaxyKnight Posts: 12
    edited August 2012
    Daytripper - Gabriel Ba, Fabio Moon. Has interesting elements, explores some major milestones in life that almost everyone goes through. None of the stories feel too weighty, easy read.

Marvel Boy - Grant Morrison, J.G. Jones. I was pleasantly surprised by this six-issue origin series. Makes me like the Noh Varr character a bit more. Takes place right before Civil War.
  • Options
    @dubbat138 The vamps in American Vampire are a different take on the vampire idea.