Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best Trade/Hardcover/OGN you read this week

191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Torpedo vol 1 - Not for kids and very mature. It's a european album put out by IDW about hired killer in the mid 1930s named Torpedo (Luca something). The book is composed of 6-10 page "hits". The story is beautiful to look at, but the main character is neither simpathetic or likable. Torpedo reminded me a little of Judge Dredd if Dredd was a professional killer and not a cop. The stories were interesting and do not try to paint Luca as anything but a scumbag killer. As I mentioned above the art is incredible (especially if you are reading on an ipad type device and can blow it up)

I'm going to continue with vol 2 to see where it goes.

I've got the first four volumes in the oversized hardcover editions IDW's been putting out. It doesn’t really go anywhere per se. What you saw in the first volume is pretty much what you get. The occasional flashback stories add some depth to the series, but there's not really a story arc for Luca, just him moving from one situation to the next.

It should be mentioned that there has been some controversy over Torpedo, as to the misogynistic and racist aspects of the stories. As stated above, Luca is not portrayed in any was as a hero. And the stories are also invoking the attitudes of the pulp genre of the 1930s and ’40s, but with a dark humor that borders on parody. But a case can certainly be made that the writing and characterizations often cross the line, so if that sort of thing offends you, you may want to pass Torpedo by.

The art is exquisite though.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Haven't actually read it yet, but after thumbing through my Daredevil Omnibus that just arrived from DCBS, it'll be on this list for a while. :D
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Torpedo vol 1 - Not for kids and very mature. It's a european album put out by IDW about hired killer in the mid 1930s named Torpedo (Luca something). The book is composed of 6-10 page "hits". The story is beautiful to look at, but the main character is neither simpathetic or likable. Torpedo reminded me a little of Judge Dredd if Dredd was a professional killer and not a cop. The stories were interesting and do not try to paint Luca as anything but a scumbag killer. As I mentioned above the art is incredible (especially if you are reading on an ipad type device and can blow it up)

Just saw that Alex Toth did the artwork for the first volume. I think I might have to check this out.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

Just saw that Alex Toth did the artwork for the first volume. I think I might have to check this out.
    Toth only did the first two eight-page stories, then he quit because he didn't like the language and the darkness of the humor. But don't worry, the Bernet work is excellent.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Earth 2 (Vol. 1 & 2). By James Robinson & Nicola Scott. I quite enjoyed them.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

It should be mentioned that there has been some controversy over Torpedo, as to the misogynistic and racist aspects of the stories. As stated above, Luca is not portrayed in any was as a hero. And the stories are also invoking the attitudes of the pulp genre of the 1930s and ’40s, but with a dark humor that borders on parody. But a case can certainly be made that the writing and characterizations often cross the line, so if that sort of thing offends you, you may want to pass Torpedo by.

The art is incredible.

The interesting thing and what really saved this from being just another pretty book id the way they portray Luca. He is what he is, a 1930s bad guy. He kills people, he has little to no regard for people (living or dead), women are there for his enjoyment and use, and he is a scumbag like these guys would have been in real life. It is a very bold choice.

I want to thankyou for the posting up some art from Torpedo and bringing this book to my attention. I probably will not stay with it after volume 2, but I am glad I read the first volume.

Now if someone would get the rights to Blueberry....
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Now if someone would get the rights to Blueberry....

If only!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

mwhitt80 said:

I've got the first four volumes in the oversized hardcover editions IDW's been putting out... It should be mentioned that there has been some controversy over Torpedo, as to the misogynistic and racist aspects of the stories...

In fact, @nweathington has all four volumes proudly displayed on his "Exquisite Racist Misogyny" shelf. ;)
  • Options
    David_D said:

mwhitt80 said:

I've got the first four volumes in the oversized hardcover editions IDW's been putting out... It should be mentioned that there has been some controversy over Torpedo, as to the misogynistic and racist aspects of the stories...

In fact, @nweathington has all four volumes proudly displayed on his "Exquisite Racist Misogyny" shelf. ;)
    Actually, I have them in between two volumes of Miss Fury Sunday strips (written and drawn by a woman), and two volumes of Blacksad. How’s that for irony?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

David_D said:

mwhitt80 said:

Actually, I have them in between two volumes of Miss Fury Sunday strips (written and drawn by a woman), and two volumes of Blacksad. How’s that for irony?
    I wish I knew enough about Miss Fury or Blacksad to get the irony. But I will take your word for it!

#InsightGap

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited December 2013
    David_D said:

David_D said:

mwhitt80 said:

I wish I knew enough about Miss Fury or Blacksad to get the irony. But I will take your word for it!

#InsightGap

Well, you can't get any further from misogyny than a female superhero (she predates Wonder Woman) created, written, and drawn by a woman. And the titular hero of Blacksad is black—even though the characters are anthropomorphic, the second story deals very directly with racism.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited December 2013
    Just finished the Injustice Gods Among us HC and I enjoyed it alot. I think i will actually start getting this monthly. The story is great. I am not sure about the art though. It is not bad but i am not 100% sure that is is good either.
  • Options

Just finished the Injustice Gods Among us HC and I enjoyed it alot. I think i will actually start getting this monthly. The story is great. I am not sure about the art though. It is not bad but i am not 100% sure that is is good either.

Actually, I feel that way about the overall story: it's not bad, but not great either. It feels a bit derivative of events in Kingdom Come, which may or may not have been intentional. For all that, though, I have been enjoying the series; it's better than I'd expected it to be.
  • Options
    Just finished Batman and Robin: Vol. 1 - Born to Kill.

I've really liked team of Tomasi & Gleason since Green Lantern Corps. I think Gleason may be my favorite artist at this moment. Looking forward to reading the next volume.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited December 2013
    kgforce said:

Just finished Batman and Robin: Vol. 1 - Born to Kill.
    I've really liked team of Tomasi & Gleason since Green Lantern Corps. I think Gleason may be my favorite artist at this moment. Looking forward to reading the next volume.

What coincidence. Also just read it.

Picked this up at the last comiXology sale and read it today in one go. Love, love the writing and the art. Can't believe I missed this when it first was released. Definitely will get the next volume and be on the look out for more stuff by these fine artists.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Finished SHAZAM! by Geoff Johns & Gary Frank last night. I really liked the new take on the character, but lament that he's no longer "Captain Marvel". I also liked the new spin on Sivana. Make this a series now!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Been on an X-Men kick lately and finally got around to a book I've been meaning to pick up for a while now, X-Factor Vol. 1: The Longest Night, the beginning of Peter David's (long!) return to X-Factor. I enjoyed the detective agency spin, the setting in NYC's Mutant Town district, and the way that it's tied to larger X-events (in this case, the aftermath of M-Day) but operating on the periphery of them. Enjoyed it enough that I added the next 2 trades to my most recent DCBS order.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Mind Management. I had to read it twice to really get into it but once I did, it was pretty cool. I loved the art.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I finished the Invincible Ironman Omnibus by Busiek and Chen. It was a really good Ironman story with almost all of Ironman's villians popping up. I was suprised at how good the Omnibus was.

Scalped volume 1 it has been years since I read these floppies. This is a great western about an Indian coming back to the reservation as an undercover FBI Agent. I was reminded why this was one of my favorite series.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Marada the She Wolf - a reprint of the Chris Clairemont/John Bolton series from Epic Comics (Marvel's long gone creator-owned imprint), this time in an oversized hardcover from Titan Comics. Old school sword and sorcery goodness where men were men (even if most of them were wearing diapers) and women were women (even if most of them were wearing tissues), evil was evil and good was good, and all that good stuff. Plus it's Clairemont so you get a lot of his staples in writing ("Care to argue the point?") but it's also him cut free from any restraints and telling a Red Sonja story like it ought to be done.

Great stuff...
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Finished DC archives All Star Comics vol 1. I am reading TwoMorrows All Star Companion along with each issue. The beginning of the JSA - pretty good stuff overall. Each character section was done by the artist who normally drew the character, so the art fluctuates. The Golden Age Hawk Man is head and shoulders above the rest in art quality. It actually made me go buy the archives for the GA Hawk man.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Grabbed this last year sometime. I think in the fall. Super cheap,was like $4 with shipping. Thankfully Rob only does the covers. Set 15 years,I think it was 15,after the last episode of the original BSG series it is an interesting resolution to that season. While being able to continue on. I need to track down the rest of these Rob's Maximum Press published. 3.5 outta 5,but I am also a huge BSG fanboy.
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    edited April 2014
    I finished up the third volume of the current Wonder Woman series. I like the way the series continues to give a unique take on the character and Greek pantheon. One of the bonuses or downsides of this series depending on how you look at it is how disconnected this book feels from the rest of the DC Universe. Outside of the inclusion of Orion in this volume there is not much connecting to what is happening elsewhere. As someone who is not reading a lot of other DC books it is nice to be able to pick up and not worry about other continuity. I did wonder at some point when does this book take place in the greater New 52 timeline.