Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best Trade/Hardcover/OGN you read this week

Figured this would be a neat way to get people talking about what they have read this week.

For me it would be "Howard the Duck Max". I am a huge Howard the duck fan and a huge Steve "RIP" Gerber fan. So finding this trade for 3 bucks was great. The comic is a fun parody of all the various Vertigo series that were huge back then. Plus the artwork is really well done. Kind of sucks that we will never get any new Howard stories from Mr Gerber. But at least he got to do this Max series. Which really besides some nudity there isn't much in here that couldn't be in a non-Max comic. So I ask my fellow CGS fans what was the best trade/hardcover/OGN you read this week.

Comments

• Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Ichiro. Simply stunning art and a great story. This is way under the radar but really should have been on everyone's list.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Northlanders Volume 4- The Plague Widow. I had this waiting on the shelf for awhile, as it is one of those series I sort of wait and savor when the mood hits This series continues to be excellent, and I enjoyed the longer form this story took.

It's just a bummer that Northlanders didn't get to last logner. There isn't anything else I am reading right now that is like it.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Northlanders Volume 4- The Plague Widow. I had this waiting on the shelf for awhile, as it is one of those series I sort of wait and savor when the mood hits This series continues to be excellent, and I enjoyed the longer form this story took.

It's just a bummer that Northlanders didn't get to last logner. There isn't anything else I am reading right now that is like it.

I just last week requested to get the first volume of Northlanders through inter library loan. Gonna give it a try and see if I enjoy it. Cause it seems to be a series you either love or hate,no middle ground.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    This week I finished Sandman Omnibus vol 2. I feel like I should dye my hair, get some eyeliner, and start wearing black because I really am enjoying this series.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Fallen Angel Omnibus 0. I loved Peter David's take on Supergirl back in the 90s, and hell I love most anything Peter David does...but I'd never read the original DC books that kicked off this series. Damn it's awesome. I've read the IDW releases (except for the 2nd Omnibus which will be on tap later this year).
  • Options
    I truly think something will come about to fill the Northlanders void. It is the #1 comic I hear people lamenting the end of and I can't see the concept not being picked up even if slightly different subject matter by someone. I have all of the trades but I have been buying the Icelandic Trilogy (which has been beyond great) in single issues just to help show support and interest.
  • Options
    KilmarockKilmarock Posts: 174
    Crogan's March by Chris Schweizer - I really enjoyed this book. I love the way Schweizer draws. I wish the pages were bigger, because the images often get crowded out by the words. The ending is a bit ambiguous but I like it that way.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Walking Dead TPB #6. I caved and started reading the series a couple weeks ago. While I think the comic may be over hyped / praised, I am digging it. I think it gets better as it goes.
    I mightve stopped reading were it not for the TV show giving it more "life" in my mind and the series really picking up around #4. #5+6 were good enough to keep me buying more.
  • Options
    JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    Last of the Greats vol 1 and Transmetropolitan vol 1 (spider jerusalem is my personal hero now)
  • Options
    Walking Dead TPB #6. I caved and started reading the series a couple weeks ago. While I think the comic may be over hyped / praised, I am digging it. I think it gets better as it goes.
    I mightve stopped reading were it not for the TV show giving it more "life" in my mind and the series really picking up around #4. #5+6 were good enough to keep me buying more.
    It is strange, I am a huge fan of the horror genre and I love zombies. But I never got into Walking Dead. Even after many people and the CGS crew recommending it. Then right after season 1 of the tv show finished airing I ordered The Walking Dead Compendium volume 1 from Amazon. And read it in 2 days.Now I am hooked on the series. But I have limited myself to only buying 2 volumes of the trade a year. Matter of fact I am getting ready to order volumes 12 and 13 next month.

• Options
    KoenKoen Posts: 11
    I read the last Criminal trade this week. Each book from the power tandem Brubaker-Phillips is garanteed strong stuff.
  • Options
    Ex Machina Deluxe Vol. 1 - Been avoiding it because I've had so much to read.... now I've ordered all the other volumes.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    It is strange, I am a huge fan of the horror genre and I love zombies. But I never got into Walking Dead. Even after many people and the CGS crew recommending it. Then right after season 1 of the tv show finished airing I ordered The Walking Dead Compendium volume 1 from Amazon. And read it in 2 days.Now I am hooked on the series. But I have limited myself to only buying 2 volumes of the trade a year. Matter of fact I am getting ready to order volumes 12 and 13 next month.

Oddly enough Im not / have never been a horror or zombie fan in any medium or a lover of B+W comics lol.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    X-Men/Dark Avengers: Utopia X

It was the only one I read but still, I loved it back then, and love it now.
  • Options
    Batman: Arkham City - Really like the art by Carlos D'anda and the story seems to fit the game.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Batman: Arkham City - Really like the art by Carlos D'anda and the story seems to fit the game.

Surprise hit for me as well. I was expecting the story to be "okay".
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I'm going to go with the Rachel Rising trade. I'm digging this story so far. Better than Echo.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Ask me next week. I've got Fables deluxe vol. 4 and Unwritten vol. 5 in the mail. Love both titles.

I'm also picking up the re-released/remastered Sandman books. Dang, them are good. I wonder why there's no footnotes/BOMC episodes? Or maybe I missed them?
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    I read Fables Deluxe Vol 4 this past week. I was thinking about cutting this from my HC pull list after being under-impressed with the first two volumes. Volume 3 was super awesome so I stayed on. I liked Volume 4, but it read a little fast since I skipped the prose part (hey if Alan Moore cant get me to read prose in a comic what makes you think you can Bill Willingham !?!?!) Still a great (and sad) read, but wished it was more...
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    @Miraclemet - the vol. 1 deluxe was a little underwhelming for me too, but I've heard such great things from this series and decided to stick with it. I really enjoyed deluxe vol. 3 and so I've been pulled in.

A little off topic, but are you watching either Grimm or Once Upon A Time? I have the same problem with them as I did starting Fables. Maybe I'll go through them when/if they come to Netflix.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    @fredzilla I started watching both but neither were awesome enough to keep up with. Grimm is a little more "cop procedural/mystery of the week" in an interesting world where fairy tales are real, whereas Once Upon a Time feels more like Desperate Housewives if it were cast with living versions of Disney characters. Both are good, not great. OUaT has some nice visuals though... image
  • Options
    I'm going to again cast my vote for Ichiro. Seriously I have re-read it twice now and I still want to go back for the ridiculously excellent art. I have no idea why this isn't even being seen or mentioned anywhere. I haven't put it down since it came out last week. My only guess is because it is published by Houghton-Mifflin-Harcourt and the artist is lesser known in comic circles. Seriously, this is so good I can't begin to shout about it enough!
  • Options
    JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    Transmetropolitan vol 2, I can't get enough of Spider Jerusalem
  • Options
    I just read the Good Prince. I am so angry that I let my fables trades sit for years on my shelf. It was so Freaking Swear I could not believe it.
  • Options
    YEah!

Reread it earlier this week. And I love the story about an all girl rock band that on Earth can't get a gig. But in outer space are intergalactic superstars. Plus there is something about an all ages comic written by Peter "Hate" Bagge and pencils and inks by Gilbert Hernandez. You would think that with those two creators people that were into indy comics at the time would have at least given the series a try.Really there are only 2 drawbacks to this trade. First it is in black and white,and the original issues had stunning colors done by Joanne Bagge. And I wish they had reprinted the letter pages. Since all the letters were answered by Yeah's manager Crusty they were actually part of the storylines. I am really surprised this got a trade at all. I know when the comic was coming out as part of the Wildstorm spinoff Homage almost no-one was talking about it . Outta the 3 comic shops in that area only 1 was ordering any copies. And even then the owner was only ordering 3 copies. 1 for me,1 for the owner and 1 to put on the shelf. But that owner would try his best to order at least one copy of any all ages comic book. Mainly cause his store was right across the street from an elementary school. And back then he had a pretty decent amount of customers that were kids under the age of 13.
  • Options
    Ex Machina Deluxe Vol 2-5

Read the first volume and had to get the rest. Really impressed with the story. Tony Harris and the colourists really impressed me, especially since they seemed to avoid using lines for every single detail and instead used colour to show muscle tone, shadows and the like. I've never really sat down and read a good chunk of Brian K Vaughan and was really impressed. Felt like I could vote for Mitchell Hundred. Always loved the idea of a candidate that will sacrifice politically to make things better, especially in this climate where I think a lot of people are feeling disillusioned with the current crop of political representatives. I'm surprised wasn't more of a Vertigo book instead of WildStorm, but it was a good mix of sci-fi and real world.
  • Options
    KilmarockKilmarock Posts: 174
    Red Skull: Incarnate - The origin of the Red Skull, really the story of the young man who will become the Red Skull. Told in the context of the time (1920s & 1930s) and place (Germany) he was living with lots of historic events pointed out in the story and the end notes. Damn good read, fairly violent, it wavered a bit in in the middle but the end pulled it together in a disturbingly beautiful way.
  • Options
    @Kilmarock, I saw that and was going to get it in trade. So it was good? Who wrote and draw it? What was the art like?
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    Chugging through the Compleat Terminal City this week from Dark Horse, originally published by Vertigo. Good stuff!
  • Options
    @kfreeman, let me know what you think when you finish it. I have been going back and forth about buying it for a while now.

Also, I'm going to mention Ichiro again. I'm going to keep bringing it up until at least one person checks it out. It is too good to be the only person that read it and it is starting to drive me mad :)