Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Super Duper Man of Steel Spoiler Discussion

Comments

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

batlaw said:

Id love to believe it but Kevin Smith so gushes and over sells every little thing I just cant get my hope up. not even for just a costume.

I concur. The only think more bloated then Kevin Smith's waistline is his hype about something he was already praising.

M
    I find his enthusiasm endearing...

Oh wait, wrong thread.

Why the fat crack, though? Are we Enlarged Americans the one group it's still OK to openly express bigotry against? :(

when i go to the gym, its a "membership fee". when i don't go to the gym its a "fat tax".
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    random73 said:

when i go to the gym, its a "membership fee". when i don't go to the gym its a "fat tax".

My subcutaneous layer may be thick, but my skin's still thin.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    random73 said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

It would be nice to see some grey for a change.

Blue is too much to hope for, I suppose.

I'd prefer no blue, but agree some more gray. I think the suit in Begins was a step in the right direction with some gray, but that went away with the modified, overly elaborate suit in TDK.

M
    @Matt I think we had this conversation before about the Bat-Suit. you were a fan of the tactical and i was pulling for a little more Ninja-stealth and less bulky. I get the level of realism you were shooting for but man i would dig a classic costume.
    I think I had it on twitter also.

I did have this conversation with my neighbor this past weekend; he's a stickler for keeping the costumes true. To really keep the urban legend, Batman would need a stealthy suit. You'd have to do a dark blue to really get the effect. If you're going dark blue, you might as well just continue with the black.

I think the general public (me included) would have a tough time buying a serious take on the character if he's wearing tights. Even though Bale was ripped for Begins, he'd still look foolish in a spandex/Adam West-type suit. (That's NOT me stating I hate that series, just commenting on the outfit itself.)

To some extent, Cap's Avengers outfit looked tactical. I think if the new suit resembles the same type of material as that suit, the non-body armored suit would be more believable...or at least to me.

M
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

batlaw said:

Id love to believe it but Kevin Smith so gushes and over sells every little thing I just cant get my hope up. not even for just a costume.

I concur. The only think more bloated then Kevin Smith's waistline is his hype about something he was already praising.

M
    I find his enthusiasm endearing...

Oh wait, wrong thread.

Why the fat crack, though? Are we Enlarged Americans the one group it's still OK to openly express bigotry against? :(

Actually, it's directed only to Kevin Smith. I think everything from his ego & image to his character changes are bloated.

It's not to be taken personally by anyone else.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

I'd prefer no blue, but agree some more gray. I think the suit in Begins was a step in the right direction with some gray, but that went away with the modified, overly elaborate suit in TDK.

M
    @Matt I think we had this conversation before about the Bat-Suit. you were a fan of the tactical and i was pulling for a little more Ninja-stealth and less bulky. I get the level of realism you were shooting for but man i would dig a classic costume.

I did have this conversation with my neighbor this past weekend; he's a stickler for keeping the costumes true. To really keep the urban legend, Batman would need a stealthy suit. You'd have to do a dark blue to really get the effect. If you're going dark blue, you might as well just continue with the black.

I think the general public (me included) would have a tough time buying a serious take on the character if he's wearing tights. Even though Bale was ripped for Begins, he'd still look foolish in a spandex/Adam West-type suit. (That's NOT me stating I hate that series, just commenting on the outfit itself.)

To some extent, Cap's Avengers outfit looked tactical. I think if the new suit resembles the same type of material as that suit, the non-body armored suit would be more believable...or at least to me.

M
    Can we have a cloth or leather outfit that isn't spandex? I'm thinking along the lines of Cap's WWII costume or as comic reference maybe Gotham by Gaslight. I'm not thinking Adam West at all. I'm thinking Sherlock Holmes Ninja rather than Hurt Locker Tactical. I've seen the body armor. Let's do something different.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Just a reminder, Man of Steel hits Blu-ray/DVD on Tuesday. Enjoy!

M

oh, I will. Great movie, cannot wait to dive into all the extras..
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    random73 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

M

M
    Can we have a cloth or leather outfit that isn't spandex? I'm thinking along the lines of Cap's WWII costume or as comic reference maybe Gotham by Gaslight. I'm not thinking Adam West at all. I'm thinking Sherlock Holmes Ninja rather than Hurt Locker Tactical. I've seen the body armor. Let's do something different.
    Like cotton? I'd expect the outfit to be more close fitting than loose & frumpy. Even ninjas would want something close fitting. It'd prevent the clothing from catching onto something during movement.

I think Cap's WWII outfit worked for that time period. I think a modern Batman would look as foolish as a modern Cap wearing it. Technology has advanced since the 40s, even in synthetic materials.

I am kinda curious why you'd prefer a non-powered, master tactician who plans for every contingency NOT to wear tactical body armor. Is it to keep the classic look from the old comics? If so, I just don't see that translating accurately/believably to live-action, big budgeted mediums.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited November 2013
    Okay so to review today we've talked Thor's love life, X-Men belts, and Batman fabrics. Could I get some superhero curtain talk to pair with this white wine? ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    David_D said:

Okay so to review today we've talked Thor's love life and Batman fabrics. Could I get some superhero curtain talk to pair with this white wine? ;)

Do you think Felicia Hardy's carpet matches her curtains?!

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

M

M
    Like cotton? I'd expect the outfit to be more close fitting than loose & frumpy. Even ninjas would want something close fitting. It'd prevent the clothing from catching onto something during movement.

I think Cap's WWII outfit worked for that time period. I think a modern Batman would look as foolish as a modern Cap wearing it. Technology has advanced since the 40s, even in synthetic materials.

I am kinda curious why you'd prefer a non-powered, master tactician who plans for every contingency NOT to wear tactical body armor. Is it to keep the classic look from the old comics? If so, I just don't see that translating accurately/believably to live-action, big budgeted mediums.

M
    Yes. It is to keep the classic look from the old comics. period. point blank.
  • Options
    oh, and loose and frumpy is not what i'm thinking.
  • Options
    just as an example
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    random73 said:

Looks very...leathery & like it'd be noisy when he goes sneaking around. Not to mention chafing.

M
  • Options
    looking for a compromise between Adam West and Christian Bale. I think both had their day and are done. like I said i'm ready for something different. I think that costume is badass. maybe loose some of the steampunk tweaks like the googles but that is the general idea.
  • Options
    Still utilitarian but not so much Robo-Cop.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    random73 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

M

M

M
    I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if that happens. In an age of CGI, comic line relaunches, nurses becoming astrophysicists I don't think they're looking to have that 'old comics' look. Again, it works in the comics, just not live action.

Plus, I'm betting you're an older chap. I don't think niche movies (such as comic book or Star Trek) are being made for longtime fans, but more the youthful, general populace. I came to realize that when Batman suddenly needs a love interest each movie.

I can't watch KickAss without thinking how stupid he is for not wearing tactical gear. Looks as though that's why he wears Big Daddy's suit in the sequel movie.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Matt said:

random73 said:

Looks very...leathery & like it'd be noisy when he goes sneaking around. Not to mention chafing.

M
    Moisturizer!

(I finally realized what our conversations today missed.)
  • Options
    Keep in mind when i say "old comics" i'm thinking Jim Aparo circa 1984 Batman and the Outsiders. For better or worse that is MY Batman in the same way that Peter Davison is MY Doctor.
  • Options
    Matt said:

David_D said:

Okay so to review today we've talked Thor's love life and Batman fabrics. Could I get some superhero curtain talk to pair with this white wine? ;)

Do you think Felicia Hardy's carpet matches her curtains?!

M
    GOOD NIGHT, EVERYBODY!!!!
  • Options
    Matt said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

M

M

M
    I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if that happens. In an age of CGI, comic line relaunches, nurses becoming astrophysicists I don't think they're looking to have that 'old comics' look. Again, it works in the comics, just not live action.

Plus, I'm betting you're an older chap. I don't think niche movies (such as comic book or Star Trek) are being made for longtime fans, but more the youthful, general populace. I came to realize that when Batman suddenly needs a love interest each movie.

I can't watch KickAss without thinking how stupid he is for not wearing tactical gear. Looks as though that's why he wears Big Daddy's suit in the sequel movie.

M
    older chap? *Shrugs* maybe. Age is a relative concept. I'm the same age you would be if you were born when i was. (I'm 40)
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Shorten the ears on a couple of the the Arkham City costumes and it would work. The young-uns like these here video story games i reckon. So, it might be possible to satisfy the kids and the fogies.
  • Options
    random73 said:

looking for a compromise between Adam West and Christian Bale. I think both had their day and are done. like I said i'm ready for something different. I think that costume is badass. maybe loose some of the steampunk tweaks like the googles but that is the general idea.

Yeah, I'd see that more like Cap's Avengers outfit. It reminded me of Castle's Punisher: War Zone attire. I really just don't buy a non Kevlar/tactical/nomex/knife-resident outfit for Batman.

I'd actually prefer a chain mail suited Cap then the ballistic-type suit he wears.

M
  • Options
    random73 said:

Keep in mind when i say "old comics" i'm thinking Jim Aparo circa 1984 Batman and the Outsiders. For better or worse that is MY Batman in the same way that Peter Davison is MY Doctor.

Yeah, Aparo & Miller are the Batman versions I can see most. MY doctor will always be Dr. Baxter...or at least until he retires. He's kept for healthy for years!

M
  • Options
    random73 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

M

M

M

M
    older chap? *Shrugs* maybe. Age is a relative concept. I'm the same age you would be if you were born when i was. (I'm 40)
    I'm 34, but I've learned I'm no longer in the Target Demographic. Sadly, things are being less & less for me.

M
  • Options
    Batman is not IronMan. Nor should he be. I think the Bale costume is just one step away from this:

I don't want Bats to be indestructable.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Batman is not IronMan. Nor should he be. I think the Bale costume is just one step away from this:

I don't want Bats to be indestructable.

Although I thought the second suit was too elaborate, neither were indestructible. The 1st suit couldn't take direct shots fired at him. The second was even less resistant. Joker stabbed him twice & Harvey shot him. Fox even commented that it would make him more vulnerable.

M
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    its hollywood. the suit can be made out of whatever they say it is and it can do whatever they say it can do. it can look however they want it to look (or even better how we want it to look).
  • Options
    batlaw said:

its hollywood. the suit can be made out of whatever they say it is and it can do whatever they say it can do. it can look however they want it to look (or even better how we want it to look).

They can say a spandex outfit is nanotech making it indestructible, but if it still looks like spandex, it'll still pull audiences out of the scenes. The MoS haters can't tell me the full shot of Superman didn't pull you out of the scene because of the design & look.

M
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Matt said:

batlaw said:

They can say a spandex outfit is nanotech making it indestructible, but if it still looks like spandex, it'll still pull audiences out of the scenes. The MoS haters can't tell me the full shot of Superman didn't pull you out of the scene because of the design & look.

M
    yes. they would still have to use some effort and imagination.
    personally the design and look of superman in mos did a lot more than just pull me out of the scene.