Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Super Duper Man of Steel Spoiler Discussion

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Bat yoga pants!
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Guess what day it is? Guess what day it is?!

http://youtu.be/wAFNOGorXJs

You're welcome!

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:
    I was just going to post that!

Hell, I will anyways:

I like the "two Robin Hood dads"
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Hell, I will anyways:

I liked when he says one father wanted him to show off his powers and the other wanted him to let people die. So he did both. lol.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Hell, I will anyways:

I liked when he says one father wanted him to show off his powers and the other wanted him to let people die. So he did both. lol.
    I've seen the movie twice & don't recall Pa ever saying to let people die. Maybe I need to watch it again.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited November 2013
    Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Hell, I will anyways:

I've seen the movie twice & don't recall Pa ever saying to let people die. Maybe I need to watch it again.

M
    Agreed.

He is merely open to the idea, and advises Clark to consider it. ;)
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Planeis said:
    aww hell that was awesome. "i cant believe im excited to see ben affleck kick this guys ass"...lol
  • Options
    David_D said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Hell, I will anyways:

M
    Agreed.

Oy. This is probably closer to what a simple man, who doesn't have all the answers & trying to protect his son like Jonathan Kent might mean.

My daughter is almost 7 months. At what point do I have to worry about Child Services called on me for raising her similarly? I don't want to always want to tell Fi what's right & wrong. Over time I'd like to pose the problem back to her as questions. I don't have to agree with her choices, but I want her to think about and come to a conclusion instead of a haphazard quick decision. Our family has enough of those!

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Hell, I will anyways:

I've seen the movie twice

M
    You poor soul.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Hell, I will anyways:

M
    You poor soul.

Its the first time since I was a kid I found the character to be interesting, relatable, & not just a 2D character. I'd show this to someone well before another Superman movie.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Hell, I will anyways:

M
    You poor soul.

Its the first time since I was a kid I found the character to be interesting, relatable, & not just a 2D character. I'd show this to someone well before another Superman movie.

M
    I'm actually really happy that people enjoy this movie. I think it's good for comic movies overall that this was a success and that it has it's fans.

I think what gets me is the love/hate reaction to this film. People either love it or hate it and I think that's what makes coming here and keeping the silly conversation going fun.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Matt said:

Oy. This is probably closer to what a simple man, who doesn't have all the answers & trying to protect his son like Jonathan Kent might mean.

My daughter is almost 7 months. At what point do I have to worry about Child Services called on me for raising her similarly? I don't want to always want to tell Fi what's right & wrong. Over time I'd like to pose the problem back to her as questions. I don't have to agree with her choices, but I want her to think about and come to a conclusion instead of a haphazard quick decision. Our family has enough of those!

M

You have to wait until she saves a bus full of schoolchildren, Duh! ;)
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Hell, I will anyways:

M
    You poor soul.

M
    I'm actually really happy that people enjoy this movie. I think it's good for comic movies overall that this was a success and that it has it's fans.

I think what gets me is the love/hate reaction to this film. People either love it or hate it and I think that's what makes coming here and keeping the silly conversation going fun.
    I've noticed more "civilians" like Man of Steel as opposed to more comic fans, & vice versa.

If you're not going to buy the movie, get your hands on a copy to watch the extras. You get a better feeling why they went First Contact for the movie. Goyer & Nolan thought it was the best way to expose the character to the general public.

Putting him in a real-life type setting, an alien on Earth is huge. An alien living on Earth would be even bigger.

One of the issues I've always had with the character was when he appeared, Superman was 'just accepted' & looked up to. I really like how he has to prove himself & there are still people who doubt his authenticity as a protector of Earth.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Hell, I will anyways:

M
    You poor soul.

M

I've noticed more "civilians" like Man of Steel as opposed to more comic fans, & vice versa.

If you're not going to buy the movie, get your hands on a copy to watch the extras. You get a better feeling why they went First Contact for the movie. Goyer & Nolan thought it was the best way to expose the character to the general public.

Putting him in a real-life type setting, an alien on Earth is huge. An alien living on Earth would be even bigger.

One of the issues I've always had with the character was when he appeared, Superman was 'just accepted' & looked up to. I really like how he has to prove himself & there are still people who doubt his authenticity as a protector of Earth.

M
    I just want to see how dark the inner block gets if we keep nesting quotes like this!
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Hell, I will anyways:

M
    You poor soul.

M

M
    I just want to see how dark the inner block gets if we keep nesting quotes like this!
    How many shades of grey?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Hell, I will anyways:

M
    You poor soul.

M

M
    How many shades of grey?
    After 23 pages, I think you could look into the archives!

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited November 2013
    Matt said:

David_D said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Hell, I will anyways:

M
    Agreed.

My daughter is almost 7 months. At what point do I have to worry about Child Services called on me for raising her similarly? I don't want to always
    want to tell Fi what's right & wrong. Over time I'd like to pose the problem back to her as questions. I don't have to agree with her choices, but I want her to think about and come to a conclusion instead of a haphazard
    quick decision. Our family has enough
    of those!

I of course, agree that all parents need to raise their kids their own way.

But I will say that this movie, and it could just be the cut we ended up with who knows (and as I hear the Blu-Ray/DVD release doesn't have any deleted scenes, so no additional insight to be found there) they didn't do Pa Kent any favors. He doesn't need to be a simple man. Or more simple than Jor-El. In fact, his protective point of view, his argument for Clark to stay secret is a very relatable point of view, I just wish they have him better lines to sell the idea. Especially as it was a belief that he was willing to die for (and, maybe, let others die for). And I am not saying a parents wouldn't feel that way, I could see how they could, even in these unreal circumstances. But I wish the movie had given a little more space to the Kents as characters, as well as to where they placed their fears and hopes for Clark. The movie certainly gave Jor-El's point of view a lot of time. It would have been nice for the Kents to have more, as they were actually parents to him.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Hell, I will anyways:

M
    You poor soul.

M

For the most part, I'm on the fence. I thought the movie was superior so far as the sfx were concerned, but weaker in story and motivations. (I'm not going to dredge up the whole argument again, though; my opinions fill up whole pages at the beginning of this thread.) I'd show practically any other Superman movie , even the Brandon Routh film, before this one; most likely, I'd show the first two Chris Reeve films, which I still feel do a better job of portraying Superman's mythic character.
  • Options
    BondoBondo Posts: 57
    Matt said:

M

Couldn't Agree more. Just saw this movie today. My job has me posted in a small town without a theater, so trucking into town while this was screening was a bit hard. But HOLY *&^(*#&$(*#&$ This movie was awesome.

I have never once been interested in this character at a comic level. I've always been a Batman/Spidey guy. With one exception: The one-shot, "Countdown to Infinite Crisis".

In that issue I saw Superman through the eyes of Ted Kord's Blue Beetle, and I was BLOWN the $%&* AWAY by his presence.

I felt this film gave the character the same effect, but not in the scenes you may expect. To me Kal gained immense gravitas in the scenes where he surrenders himself at the military base, and how he addressed the Generals. Those are the scenes that sold me on Cavill's take on the role.

The rest of the film was just pure fun to me. I'm sure my girlfriend had enough of my yelling "OHHHHHHHHHHH" after the first ten minutes!
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Great points, Bondo.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Today I almost bought the Man of Steel Blu-ray since it was prominently displayed there in the bargain bin. I couldn't do it though. Didn't feel the slightest urge to re-watch the movie. Bought the way more expensive Kon-Tiki Blu-ray instead. Now, that heroic story I can watch any day.

Please don't hate me for not loving the Man of Steel. :o3
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

Might be the batsuit for Batman Superman or Superman Batman. It looks a little cosplayish to me.
  • Options
    rebis said:

Might be the batsuit for Batman Superman or Superman Batman. It looks a little cosplayish to me.

Cosplay and photoshop.

• Options

Today I almost bought the Man of Steel Blu-ray since it was prominently displayed there in the bargain bin. I couldn't do it though. Didn't feel the slightest urge to re-watch the movie. Bought the way more expensive Kon-Tiki Blu-ray instead. Now, that heroic story I can watch any day.

Please don't hate me for not loving the Man of Steel. :o3

I felt the same way about Green Lantern. I watched the 2nd time a year after it was in the theatre via Netflix. I figured it couldn't be as bad as I had remembered.

I saw it today at Walmart on blu-ray for $7.50. I couldn't buy it. My second viewing was just as bad as my theatre experience.

I will say my second viewing of Man of Steel was even better then my first.

M
  • Options
    rebis said:

While I believe that this is fake I think whoever did this is on the right track. Reading Kevin Smith's comments about the suit he saw makes me think it's the modern comic/animated series grey and black.
  • Options
    thoughts upon 2nd viewing thanks to dvd: dug krypton quite a bit. thought Lois even more silly and less believable than before. a little less critical of superman and his actions (or lack thereof in some cases) than before. Jor el even more enjoyable and likeable than before. pa kent even less likeable and his scenes even worse than I remembered (cant believe id ever consider jor el a better man and father than pa kent. sad). the level of destrcution is still just way too over the top. cgi still hit and miss. The scene near the end with the drone is amazingly even worse than i remember... so awful i think it actually injured my soul.
    I cant believe batman is going to be a part of this world (or any other heroes for that matter). just a few small tweaks couldve made some big improvements to this movie.