Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1388 Talkback: Age of Ultron Issue 10

It's the finale of Age of Ultron as we go over issue 10. What does this mean for the future of the Marvel Universe(s)? (58:24)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited June 2013
    Yes, James Brown I have seen the light after the end of Flashpoint w/ DC & WW Hulk w/ Marvel when it comes to mega important big2 events. I'm reading comics IDW, Dark Horse & Image for my big comic fix high these days & yes I'm still reading Superman & some Batman books.

Matthew
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Well said, Pimp!
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Wait, Jamie read the ending before reading the story? I'm rubbing off on you...be afraid!

M
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So Jamie, Meg is STILL confiding in you about me?!

Can I try to sum up what Jamie is saying: "its a huge bucket of suck."

Its been years since I have collected from the Big 2. I feel like they're drug dealers: giving you enough to come back, but always trying to get that new clientele!

DE has great pulp comics. Look to the Shadow.

M
  • Options
    Is DE giving you a check? ;)

I really want to like DE. I just can't get past the bad illustration.
  • Options
    rebis said:

Is DE giving you a check? ;)

I really want to like DE. I just can't get past the bad illustration.

They are the silent partner of my spinoff cast. LOL.

I do think some of their books look "average." It bothers me less with the Shadow, which is basically the only comics I pick up consecutively. I think the artwork kinda works with the ambiguity of the character.

M
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Matt said:

So Jamie, Meg is STILL confiding in you about me?!

Can I try to sum up what Jamie is saying: "its a huge bucket of suck."

Its been years since I have collected from the Big 2. I feel like they're drug dealers: giving you enough to come back, but always trying to get that new clientele!

DE has great pulp comics. Look to the Shadow.

M

No, I told you long ago I would dump you as a friend before Meg, if you had done that to her you would have answered to me!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Jamie D brought the fire.

I want to "join the revolution" (see how we can use Marvel Now banners)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    edited June 2013
    While as an event I'd give it a 2.5/5 as a story I'd bump it up to a 3/5. I wish we would have gotten to see more of the Avengers dying in the future and possibly Ultron himself.

And the FCBD 2012 Age of Ultron prelude is actually a reprint of Avengers 12.1. So it was released as a regular issue first.
  • Options
    Jamie, I feel you it's hard to keep following things especially with the multitude of family branding watering down the name.

Look at the Avengers titles (not to mention double shipping for most titles)

Avengers (twice a month)
    New Avengers
    Secret Avengers
    Avengers Academy
    Avengers Assembled
    Young Avengers

Now we're getting:
    Avengers AI
    Mighty Avengers

And honestly the first six books have good creative teams telling good stories. Assembled is the only title that feels kind of redundant but I feel like that's the title for the mainstream readers who came in from the movie. Secret Avengers should really be called S.H.I.E.L.D. and the publicly well knowns like Hawkeye and Black Widow shouldn't be in the book but it wouldn't probably sell otherwise.

So my point, and plug is this, Earth's Mightiest Podcast.com. Our motto:

"We defend you from bad books and avenge the books you may have missed."

Can't keep up with all 8 Avengers titles? Then check out the podcast as we talk about all the books. We'll keep you up to date then you can decide what you want to pick up.

• Options
    lestrellalestrella Posts: 1
    Well I loved it. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and no one is wrong. I hear Jamie's complaints and I think they are valid, but I'm all in on cosmic shit in Infinity. Love your guys podcast I meet you guys in Denver keep up the good work and Murd we are simple folks you can use small words when you review something.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    lestrella said:

Well I loved it. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and no one is wrong. I hear Jamie's complaints and I think they are valid, but I'm all in on cosmic shit in Infinity. Love your guys podcast I meet you guys in Denver keep up the good work and Murd we are simple folks you can use small words when you review something.

Welcome aboard!
  • Options
    zuul_2014zuul_2014 Posts: 1
    I believe that it's Ms Marvel and not NOW Captain Marvel because the time period during which the pivotal showdown event takes place in Age of Ultron 10 with the Intelligencia and the SpaceKnight Ultron awakening is back during the issue The Avengers v4 012.1 (2011) by Bendis. Some of the scenes are directly pulled from that past issue.
  • Options
    I had my moment earlier in the year. Events do nothing for me anymore. And like Jamie my inner fanboy is reserved for Valiant. A great company. There is ALOT of variety out there. Especially if you're a digital reader. That's how I was able to discover all the great things going on over at Image and other indies.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Jaimie D is the damn king. This event didn't end. It just gave you ads for 3 or 4 more books. Lame. This was so poorly put together. It's Peter Parker Spider-Man for fucks sake. Very insulting to the audience.
  • Options
    This is the sad part. Even though I often hear people complain about a Marvel event, especially the ending. The majority of the time those same people are coming back for the next big event. As long as they are getting the money, Marvel will continue to put this stuff out. Like Jamie says, you have to stop the circle at some point. Otherwise I don't blame Marvel. I blame the consumer that continues to pay for a product they don't even enjoy.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    From the Tom Brevoort interview at CBR:

"Sort of, and this is one of those odd doglegs. A version of Wolverine has a relationship with a version of Sue, but since the "Age of Ultron" timeline was essentially averted in "Avengers" #12.1 that Sue and Wolverine are an extra Sue and Wolverine. They're not the characters who are in "Fantastic Four" and "Wolverine & the X-Men" right now. They can't be, because for those characters, none of that happened. Ultron was beaten in #12.1. He never came back and blew up Manhattan.

In fact the Sue that's present on that rooftop didn't get to see what the present day would have looked like without Hank. Because the Wolverine that was killed in the past stopped himself from creating that sequence of events in the first place.

It's very complicated in terms of the time travel stuff [Laughs], but yes, we saw those two characters have a relationship and share an experience, but how that translates to our Wolverine and our Sue going forward remains to be seen. It does mean that potentially somewhere out in the world there's another Sue and another Wolverine. Or they may have been swallowed up by one of the cracks in the universe. Having those extra iterations of those characters walking around may have been too much for an already strained multiverse to handle."

• Options
    So in other words, even Tom doesn't know what the hell happened in this series.
  • Options
    StizzyStizzy Posts: 1
    Word is that there's a story idea of Jamie going back in time and stopping Bendis from conceiving Age of Ultron... "AJD"
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited June 2013
    ^Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. I've said from the beginning -- for a few years now in fact -- that Bendis and Breevort bring out the laziest sides of each other. People wondered how the Ultimate Nullifer would come into all this? But I knew that having it referred to once, twice, or three times was no guarantee that Bendis would ever actually do anything with it. People wondered what exact timeline any of this took place in? The answer is obviously that Breevort himself couldn't tell you, but he knew enough to lie about certain things (like Spidey's identity) to make it SEEM as if they had planned all this. Did we ever really get a good explanation as to why Ultron was using all those villains in the beginning? Not that I'm aware of. Just another random Bendis moment that seems to suggest something but actually means nothing and wasn't thought through at all.

Pants wonders how any of this will play into Infinity, or how what happened here will affect the other Marvel titles he's reading? Answer: It won't. It won't play into anything, really. No one pays attention to any of that sort of continuity-related stuff anymore. Any given writer and editor just use whatever they feel like using for the story they're working on at any given moment, and they forget the rest, because it's too convoluted at this point anyway.

I liked Uncanny Avengers #8AU, though. But, I liked it because that series actually has a writer that gives a lot of THOUGHT to the stories he's crafting.

I still like Marvel in general. I still like what Bendis is doing on the X-titles and am thankful that he seems to be putting effort into them, like he used to do with more of his comics ten years ago. And I still like Hawkeye and Daredevil a whole lot. And Thor -- oh my god Thor.

I feel everything Jamie said, though. I haven't bought THAT many Big Two comics in a while, but I know what he's going through. He asked for recommendations, so I'll give 'em:

You might like Joe Keatinge's Glory from Image. The first vol. is out now, for only $9.99 (I think) and the second and final vol. will be released soon. I think it might be up your alley and it's something different that doesn't get talked about much in CGSville.

I also think that you might like what Charles Soule is doing on Swamp Thing. It is obviously a Big Two book, and I know you used to read it, but if you dropped it after Snyder left... I'd recommend picking up at least the first two issues after that. Soule's Scarecrow/Superman story was like a classic DC Comics Presents tale.

Lastly: Good show, guys!
  • Options
    Do you guys think Age of Ultron would have been graded differently if it wasn't hyped up as an event but just thought of as a plain mini series?

I'm seeing how people are down on it and I have to wonder if it being an "event" hurts it more than it just being a story.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    There is something about AoU that makes me think that if it came out when intended, after Avengers #12.1 and before AvX (I don't think the placement of Fear Itself would have mattered much), the story would have made more sense and mostly fit in up to when Thor smashed Ultron at the end. I have this gut feeling the AoU that we got is not the AoU that Bendis originally intended.
  • Options
    It was supposed to be before AvX and probably before Fear Itself since Bucky Cap is in 12.1.
  • Options
    Elsiebub said:

^Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. I've said from the beginning -- for a few years now in fact -- that Bendis and Breevort bring out the laziest sides of each other. People wondered how the Ultimate Nullifer would come into all this? But I knew that having it referred to once, twice, or three times was no guarantee that Bendis would ever actually do anything with it. People wondered what exact timeline any of this took place in? The answer is obviously that Breevort himself couldn't tell you, but he knew enough to lie about certain things (like Spidey's identity) to make it SEEM as if they had planned all this. Did we ever really get a good explanation as to why Ultron was using all those villains in the beginning? Not that I'm aware of. Just another random Bendis moment that seems to suggest something but actually means nothing and wasn't thought through at all.

Pants wonders how any of this will play into Infinity, or how what happened here will affect the other Marvel titles he's reading? Answer: It won't. It won't play into anything, really. No one pays attention to any of that sort of continuity-related stuff anymore. Any given writer and editor just use whatever they feel like using for the story they're working on at any given moment, and they forget the rest, because it's too convoluted at this point anyway.

I liked Uncanny Avengers #8AU, though. But, I liked it because that series actually has a writer that gives a lot of THOUGHT to the stories he's crafting.

I still like Marvel in general. I still like what Bendis is doing on the X-titles and am thankful that he seems to be putting effort into them, like he used to do with more of his comics ten years ago. And I still like Hawkeye and Daredevil a whole lot. And Thor -- oh my god Thor.

I feel everything Jamie said, though. I haven't bought THAT many Big Two comics in a while, but I know what he's going through. He asked for recommendations, so I'll give 'em:

You might like Joe Keatinge's Glory from Image. The first vol. is out now, for only $9.99 (I think) and the second and final vol. will be released soon. I think it might be up your alley and it's something different that doesn't get talked about much in CGSville.

I also think that you might like what Charles Soule is doing on Swamp Thing. It is obviously a Big Two book, and I know you used to read it, but if you dropped it after Snyder left... I'd recommend picking up at least the first two issues after that. Soule's Scarecrow/Superman story was like a classic DC Comics Presents tale.

Lastly: Good show, guys!

Thanks for the recommendations, Glory sounds interesting and I will check out the Swamp Things, I did end it when Snyder left
  • Options
    Elsiebub, The Rios has talked up Glory. If the price you mentioned is correct, then I'm on that trade.
    I share your thoughts on Marvel. There are some really strong individual titles. And Thor -- oh my god, Thor! With the exception of the Gor origin story, that title has been perfect.
  • Options

A great and passionately inspired rant! Thank you Jamie D! It made this show a great listening experience... and about much more than just The Age of Ultron.

Your rant reflects much of my thoughts about the Marvel and DC situation.

Not reading any Marvel at the moment - so it is great you do these shows so I can keep up with what's happening... and not have to go through money and time reading them!

I was loving Daredevil a while back... but then they dumped a crossover event going into issues of Spiderman and The Punisher... and then I just simply couldn't afford to buy two issues of Daredevil every month because my budget fluctuates.

I've been enjoying Justice League... haven't got any issues of Justice League of America... it simply didn't grab me... not having the Original Six + Cyborg in, I wasn't interested... one Justice Leaguers book is enough for me. (And also have enjoyed the Shazam backup.)

But then I pick up Justice League #20 and it is the Second Part of the Prologue to Trinity Wars... the first part being in JLA #2, I guess... but don't keep up with shippings and previews and stuff... so seeing that was an oh-for-fuck's-sake moment.

I'll get JL #21 to read the conclusion of Shazam... but won't continue into Trinity Wars... it'll cost too much money...

and will be an event in all but name.

• Options
    tommysheroestommysheroes Posts: 174
    Maybe I'm crazy but I dug it. I totally agree with everyones criticisms about it being disjointed and overlong but I dug this. I found myself looking forward to reading it every week and found the finale to be wholly satisfying. Probably as satisfying as any marvel event since Civil War.
  • Options

Maybe I'm crazy but I dug it. I totally agree with everyones criticisms about it being disjointed and overlong but I dug this. I found myself looking forward to reading it every week and found the finale to be wholly satisfying. Probably as satisfying as any marvel event since Civil War.

More power to you my friend and as I said to Pants NEVER apologize for liking something you read, we all have different tastes
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    JamieD said:

More power to you my friend and as I said to Pants NEVER apologize for liking something you read, we all have different tastes

I'll never apologize for liking DMZ ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2013

JamieD said:

I'll never apologize for liking DMZ ;)
    I didnt say you cant be completely wrong but dont apologize for you opinion LOL

:D