Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited June 2017
    He-Man Masters Universe HC Character Guide was in my latest DCBS box. What a great book for a He-Man fan like myself. It's a "Who's Who" for the He-Man universe! As far as I can tell they have every character, vehicle, location, artifact, etc to be found in Masters of the Universe. Each entry is broken down into versions. So, for example, the He-Man entry has a section devoted to his portrayal in the filmation cartoons vs the mini comics vs the live action movie, etc.

Something I think @Adam_Murdough might be interested in...despite it being a hardcover ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GudC4rnLFfM

(Not my video but a pretty good look through)

• CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Mr_Cosmic said:

He-Man Masters Universe HC Character Guide was in my latest DCBS box. What a great book for a He-Man fan like myself. It's a "Who's Who" for the He-Man universe! As far as I can tell they have every character, vehicle, location, artifact, etc to be found in Masters of the Universe. Each entry is broken down into versions. So, for example, the He-Man entry has a section devoted to his portrayal in the filmation cartoons vs the mini comics vs the live action movie, etc.

Something I think @Adam_Murdough might be interested in...despite it being a hardcover ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GudC4rnLFfM

(Not my video but a pretty good look through)

This is in my box shipping now! I am excited. This will go well with the He Man/She Ra animated guide and the history of He man book that was in my shipment two months ago
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Wife and I have been picking up all these He-Man books Dark Horse has been putting out. She grew up with the series. I was in junior high and "too cool" to watch such things* so I live vicariously through her enjoyment of it.

* which means I watched the hell out of it when nobody was looking. :)
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Driving through Nashville this past weekend and this highway sign gave me a bit of a DC Comics "Trinity" (*) chuckle:

(* Louisville - the home of Louisville Slugger bats<--- Nyuck, nyuck)
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Congrats! I'll bet your daughter is at least as excited as you and your wife are.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited June 2017

Congrats! I'll bet your daughter is at least as excited as you and your wife are.

Thank you.

She's ready and excited. It's been a little tampered because of a few minor problems with the pregnancy (thankfully those are looking like they will be non-issues soon), but she is all about it. To the point We've spent the last few months drilling 3 rules into her.

1) "We" don't pick up baby.
    2) if 'we" think something is wrong with baby we get mommy or daddy or another grown up
    3) our big responsibility is to help protect baby.
    I thought creating the last rule not only reenforces the first two, but puts in her mind not picking up baby and getting a grown up aren't rules, but the way she can love and "help" with Samuel.
    One of her favorite Daniel Tiger songs "You can be a big helper in your family" and she now loves doc McStuffins (a good show). So we really needed to frame what the responsibility of a 3 year old big sister is before the baby comes; last thing I want is to get a phone call about accidentally hurting her brother trying to give him a check up.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I expect this leaked Inhumans trailer will be gone in a few hours - or properly released.

It's legit.

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Raise Samuel right, mwhitt...with an appreciation for DC. :)
    edited June 2017
    Torchsong said:

Raise Samuel right, mwhitt...with an appreciation for DC. :)

I'm going to try to get him to fall in love with the Ducks first...

Btw I tried to get my daughter to the Adam West Batman with me on Sunday. She was all in until the Riddler had a laughing fit, and it scared her. She told me we needed to cut it off
    Sandman Mystery Theater vol 3 got cancelled. I was hoping that this series would see a full reprint. Kind of bummed about this cancellation.
    The mention of the Batman ’66/Green Hornet comic in the most recent episode made remember my first car. When my dad first bought the car (a black 1974 Ford Gran Torino) he called it Black Beauty, after the Green Hornet’s car. He sold it a few years later, then bought it back from the person he sold it to and gave it to me when I turned 16. I kept up the Black Beauty name for a while until my friends renamed it the Tank.

I can't remember if I ever told you that story @Matt, but I thought you might get a kick out of it.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    mwhitt80 said:

As most of you remember a little over a year ago we lost our infant son. It's been a different kind of year. About 5 months we got surprised with a little bit of information.
    To be honest it caught us off guard and with everything that has happened we had new concerns and a lot to chew on. Toward the end of September 2017 we will welcoming our new son Samuel into the world.

As I said it has been a different kind of year for us. I want to thank you guys for being a needed distraction and putting up with my ridiculousness. I really did appreciate it.

Congratulations!!
    DAR said:

Though I'm still leery about a Young Han Solo movie casting Donald Glover as Lando is something I can get excited about.

Phil Lord and Chris Miller have just been fired from the new Han Solo movie.

"Creative differences."

• DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Yeah there's some raised eyebrows. Especially since it's so late in the game
    My random theory:

Phil & Chris: "We do not want a giant space station in this movie that someone has to shut down a shield generator for"

Executives: "Get out now!"
    Ron Howard was hired to step in. It's a safe choice but that's what you have to do.
    edited June 2017
    I could finish that movie and it would make 950 million and wouldn't"damage the brand". I can barely spell director. My version would be terrible, but we'd still print money.
    Me - "Hey guys do we have the money for Jar-bar Binks, he's Jar-Jars younger cousin we never knew about. Jar-Jar NOW That guy sold some tickets"
    I'd like to think Opie-Wan is a solid twice.
    edited June 2017
    DAR said:

I'd like to think Opie-Wan is a solid twice.

Lord and Miller: "We're directing the Han Solo movie!"

Ron Howard in his Arrested Development voice: "They weren't."
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Sorry if I haven't been posting much, but real life keeps getting in the damn way.

1. Starting in April, I was receiving harassing phone calls from a phony debt collection agency over my mobile phone bill. This is despite the fact that I am part of my mother's call plan and so the account in question isn't in my name (we even contacted our provider to verify that this is a scam). I have filed multiple complaints with my state's Attorney General's office & the FTC. The calls have stopped...for now.

2. My father's divorce from my stepmother was finalized leaving him to move out of his home (she moved out last year & the house is just too big for one person). He wavered between staying here in Bismarck or moving to the Twin Cities to be close to my brother and sister-in-law (eventually deciding to stay here in town). He put his house on the market & it sold in just one week (surprising given that Bismarck isn't really a sellers market right now, there are at least 3 other houses in the area that have been available for three months). He has to move out by July 21 (he has found a place but has not been able to bid on it yet).

3. Last month, my mother developed a recurrence of her breast cancer and had to undergo a mastectomy. She's started chemo last week and will be going through it until at least November. On the plus side, her prognosis so far is good.

Suffice to say, I haven't been able to get my Patreon started...I have an outline for what I want to do, I just haven't really been able to apply it.
    You have my sympathy @RedRight88 sounds like it's been a tough season in life. Hopefully you're gaining some wisdom in all these trials.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    One of our area shops closed this month. It was very sudden and nobody expected it. It seemed to be doing well but I guess not. Comics sales had dipped, Pop vinyl sales helped shore that up some but I guess the Magic players started buying their stuff elsewhere. He did offer discounts, had regular sales, supported games with tournaments and leagues.

I've known the owner for almost twenty years now and it was heartbreaking to see him have to close shop after eleven years.
    Happy Rogues Day!

In Flash #244 we get the first time the Rogues work together (and with the flash) to save Central City.
    Following the funeral of the the Top we learn that he set up bombs all around Central, set to destroy the City on the last day of June. The Rogues battle the flash collect the bombs, save the city , and go to jail.
    So today the last day of June, I celebrate some of our favorite crooks.
    This weekend, as Americans celebrate their country's independence, take time for this great project from a beer company, the US Marines, and Star Wars star Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) who is also a Marine veteran.

He wants to give back, with the help of Budweiser’s “Folds Of Honor” program. Watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huQrvmrJbXk
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Thoughts on the American Hysteria controversy?

I've got mixed feelings. The cover image that has generated all of the outrage is definitely pointed and graphic, but at the same point in time, I'm not reading the book, so I have no idea of what Chaykin's intent has been in the book.

Anyone reading it?
    I apologise for my lack of posting. I missed rank and phile rogues. I missed cool conversations, but I was at the coast.

First I caught a bunch of fish. I don't just buy stuff; when given the opportunity I can fish in the saltwater. 10 King Mackerels and 20 Spanish Mackerel in 3 days equals fish for lots of people (coworkers, the guy at the marina, dad my brother and me).

Second I got to take my daughter and wife to one of my favorite places on Earth: St. Joseph state park. I truly love that place and wish Florida had more places like that.

Third I'm home cooking fish. I am making a smoked mackerel fish dip that will be great with toasted french bread slices. Then I am finishing a tomato sauce to place over rice and grilled fish tomorrow night. I may not be able to fish for $#!+ But I can put together a meal.
    Sound tasty! Welcome home.
    Tasted the sauce. I need to start canning.