Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Listening to WordBalloon boy have I been pronouncing Art Thibert last name wrong for years.

In other news:
    LaVar Burton is on a fantastic Episode of the Sporkful.
    Tecmo Superbowl 2018 has been released for NES and SNES. I love repros.
    We recently replaced our nightstands with matching bookshelves from Target. Mine already looks like a giant pile of comics.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    A few months ago Fox Sports decided to eschew written articles and go all video. Well I'd say this went well

http://awfulannouncing.com/fox/foxsports-com-reportedly-lost-88-audience-pivoting-video.html
    edited September 2017
    DAR said:

A few months ago Fox Sports decided to eschew written articles and go all video. Well I'd say this went well

http://awfulannouncing.com/fox/foxsports-com-reportedly-lost-88-audience-pivoting-video.html

I'm really hoping that the "pivot to video" fails enough that it forces companies to keep writers. I don't want to live in a world that has pivoted to video (or lists.... CBR)
    I other Fishing related news I get a news letter from Guy Harvey ocean foundation (because the ocean is rad), this week was about a tiger shark named Andy. Andy was 3 years ago and has travelled almost 34,000 miles in that time.
  • mwhitt80 said:

I other Fishing related news I get a news letter from Guy Harvey ocean foundation (because the ocean is rad), this week was about a tiger shark named Andy. Andy was 3 years ago and has travelled almost 34,000 miles in that time.

Andy's Cool.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj3EG7ElayI
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited September 2017
    mwhitt80 said:

Listening to WordBalloon boy have I been pronouncing Art Thibert last name wrong for years.

Stupid French pronunciations. ;)
  • mwhitt80 said:

Pssshhtt! That’s nothing. I drive that much in a year. :)
    My auto correct has been mangling my posts.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited September 2017
    mwhitt80 said:

My auto correct has been mangling my posts.

I had no ice.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

@Torchsong
    Listening to a sports podcast, actual topic is it time for the Saints to trade Drew Brees since they are going to be 3/4 in South again and get some value of the sinking ship.

;)

It could happen. I know Brees has gone on record saying he'd like to retire a Saint but we know how rarely that happens for any QB. Frankly, it's not Brees...we're back again with our vaunted Swiss Cheese Defense.
    Torchsong said:

mwhitt80 said:

@Torchsong
    Listening to a sports podcast, actual topic is it time for the Saints to trade Drew Brees since they are going to be 3/4 in South again and get some value of the sinking ship.

;)

It could happen. I know Brees has gone on record saying he'd like to retire a Saint but we know how rarely that happens for any QB. Frankly, it's not Brees...we're back again with our vaunted Swiss Cheese Defense.
    So falcons are playing the lions Sunday. So I looked up all time records against teams most of the records are right around .500 give or take a few games with a few outliers

vs 49ers 31-47 play Montana and Young twice a year every year and it adds up.

Vs. Rams 29-47
    and the one that makes me go what?!
    Vs. Lions 12-24 so if you are betting games this weekend go heavy on motor city
    I learned something new. Up until today Jake LaMotta was still alive
    DAR said:

I learned something new. Up until today Jake LaMotta was still alive

When you read about him it is amazing he lived to 95. Jake could take a beating; he was a strong, tough, SoB by all accounts.
    I had a guy threaten to beat me up on the way to work this morning. Apparently he didn't like that I went around him because he was going around 20 in a 35 zone while texting. And yeah I did tell him to get off his phone, but you know **** that guy
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I hadn't thought of this before, but Alex Macris explains his critical theory of superheroes and the three types. Very interesting:
    1. Ordinary person accidentally becomes extraordinary through chance.
    2. Determined person becomes extraordinary through dedication and will.
    3. A person born with extraordinary gifts lives up to their birthright.

These are, respectively, proletariat, bourgeois, and aristocratic views of human achievement.

The proletariat sees success as a product of chance. "He got lucky." "He won the lottery." "He don't deserve what he got."

The bourgeois sees success as a product of hard work. "I earned what I've got." "I tried harder." "It's a meritocracy."

The aristocracy sees success as a product of nature. "Some people are born superior." "Blood runs true." "I was born to lead." Examples of aristocratic heroes are Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Green Lantern.

Examples of bourgeois heroes are Batman, Green Arrow, Nightwing, Ozymandias, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow.

Examples of proletariat heroes are Spiderman, Incredible Hulk, and the Fantastic Four.

Marvel's mutants are interesting. A mutant who sees his mutation as a mighty gift, like Magneto, is aristocratic but typically a villain. A mutant who sees his mutation is a random event tends to be portrayed as a proletarian hero. Most of the X-Men fall into this group...
    Read the whole thing here: https://twitter.com/i/moments/911007825475842048
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Say hello to him for us!
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Watched Star Trek Discovery premiere tonight and quite liked it. Alas, CBS would need to have buckets of similar offerings to make the paywall even worth considering.

So, CBS, Disney and anyone else looking forward to doing a brand specific subscription platform, I can find plenty of stuff to entertain myself without supporting those platforms. I suspect that many will agree.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Saw the adverts for it during the lousy Bronco game, and by the time 7pm rolled around, completely forgot. I'm interested in watching, but will not be paying for their service. I too have so many other things to entertain myself with. Truth is, I don't remember the last on air show we watched. Everything we watch now is either movies we own or catching up on old missed shows on Netflix.
    If Disney's streaming service is offering its back catalogue of films or old episodes of the Sunday night tv show, then if the price point is reasonable I will certainly look into it
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    hauberk said:

Watched Star Trek Discovery premiere tonight and quite liked it. Alas, CBS would need to have buckets of similar offerings to make the paywall even worth considering.

So, CBS, Disney and anyone else looking forward to doing a brand specific subscription platform, I can find plenty of stuff to entertain myself without supporting those platforms. I suspect that many will agree.

I watched Discovery and was generally disappointed. The lead character has potential but that was about it. After it was over, I put in a TNG blu ray and was much happier.

I get that you cannot make a modern show look technological worse than TOS and expect to be successful and attract the elusive new audience but Discovery went a little too far for a supposed prequel to TOS. The Star Wars hologram communication system that Kirk and Picard must have forgot about?

It was only the first episode so maybe it does get better with time. My guess is that it has a tough future ahead of it. I imagine that the production values will decrease as it settles into its normal budget. Not all the die hards are going to like it and will not pay for it. Even those that do like it will struggle with the idea of paying for it. It will simply fade out of view for the casual fan/viewer.
    Will those that have praised Discovery for its diversity and modern sensibilities be willing to pay for it?

hauberk said:

I watched Discovery and was generally disappointed. The lead character has potential but that was about it. After it was over, I put in a TNG blu ray and was much happier.

I get that you cannot make a modern show look technological worse than TOS and expect to be successful and attract the elusive new audience but Discovery went a little too far for a supposed prequel to TOS. The Star Wars hologram communication system that Kirk and Picard must have forgot about?

It was only the first episode so maybe it does get better with time. My guess is that it has a tough future ahead of it. I imagine that the production values will decrease as it settles into its normal budget. Not all the die hards are going to like it and will not pay for it. Even those that do like it will struggle with the idea of paying for it. It will simply fade out of view for the casual fan/viewer.
    Will those that have praised Discovery for its diversity and modern sensibilities be willing to pay for it?

Revised tech bothers me no more than the sliding timeline in comics. Were you equally bothered by the saucer section separating or all of the softer lines in everything?

Found the much more pronounced Klingon browridges curious - wonder if this series is going to shed some light on that deviation from TOS to ST:NG.

Not sure why you're singling out the people that got Roddenberry' vision I'd wonder if anyone, regardless of how much of a true fan they are, will follow it past the paywall.
    DAR said:

If Disney's streaming service is offering its back catalogue of films or old episodes of the Sunday night tv show, then if the price point is reasonable I will certainly look into it

The only back library pieces I'm really interested in are the two Scarecrow of Romney Marsh movies with Patrick MacGoohan. Shocked that they're unavailable on video.

hauberk said:

hauberk said:

Revised tech bothers me no more than the sliding timeline in comics. Were you equally bothered by the saucer section separating or all of the softer lines in everything?

Found the much more pronounced Klingon browridges curious - wonder if this series is going to shed some light on that deviation from TOS to ST:NG.

Not sure why you're singling out the people that got Roddenberry' vision I'd wonder if anyone, regardless of how much of a true fan they are, will follow it past the paywall.
    DAR said:

The only back library pieces I'm really interested in are the two Scarecrow of Romney Marsh movies with Patrick MacGoohan. Shocked that they're unavailable on video.

The Next Generation technology did not bother me because it was supposed to be more advanced than TOS. Discovery is supposed to be slightly less advanced than TOS but but the computers on the bridge and the holograms for example looked superior to everything previous on Star Trek.

I only point out the diversity issue because the biggest support Discovery has recieved prior to air was from those commenting on the diversity aspect. If there is a "new audience" for this show, it might come from this direction.

I agree that very few either potential new audience or old fans will hurdle the paywall
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited September 2017

I only point out the diversity issue because the biggest support Discovery has recieved prior to air was from those commenting on the diversity aspect. If there is a "new audience" for this show, it might come from this direction.

I agree that very few either potential new audience or old fans will hurdle the paywall

I don't think CBS is actually handling this entire streaming service roll-out properly. They appear to be betting the farm that this show will sell their streaming service and in meantime conflating their "target audience" for Star Trek with the "target market" for a new streaming service and I don't think that's a model that's going to work.

To draw in Star Trek's audience, they're focusing on the interests of the fans. They're marketing how this is an awesome show, highlighting the positives, and promoting diversity, socially conscious stories, and thought-provoking angles in order to inspire Trekkies to hit their "share" buttons which hopefully will gain more attention for this show, and (hopefully) lead to acquiring new target audience members.

But a "target market" is much different for a streaming service. Look at their competition and what has been successful and what has been a failure in streaming services. What problems have users experienced with streaming services that this service is going to solve? What other shows or properties are they promoting in the social influence sphere that you've heard of or care about? How many early adopters will this show draw in?

I hear far more Star Trek fans complaining that this show is going to be subscription based than I hear saying "I'm signing up because...", which I don't believe bodes well for this service or the long-term future of this television series.

hauberk said:

hauberk said:

DAR said:

The Next Generation technology did not bother me because it was supposed to be more advanced than TOS. Discovery is supposed to be slightly less advanced than TOS but but the computers on the bridge and the holograms for example looked superior to everything previous on Star Trek.
    Brain fart on my part - conflated ST:NG with Enterprise - sinful, I know.

My wife's the Trekker in our marriage, and she had no interest in the series. She's tired of them going back before NG or ToS. It's time to move beyond it into the future.
    Torchsong said:

My wife's the Trekker in our marriage, and she had no interest in the series. She's tired of them going back before NG or ToS. It's time to move beyond it into the future.

While not for everyone, the novels have continued the NG timeline forward past Nemesis. I think Riker is an Admiral now. New characters have been introduced.

I think the last couple of books have gone back to single contained stories instead of the wide story archs that covered multiple books which was the norm for probably a decade.

Of course there are still novels published set in the TOS timeframe and the most recent book released was a Discovery story.
    edited September 2017
    Initially, it looks like Discovery pulled in 8.1 million viewers. Up against football (even a terrible game) and the instant classic "Who shot Biggie and Tupac" on Fox, 8.1 million is decent.

I have seen a production cost range anywhere from 6 to 8.5 million per episode (which may be wrong altogether). So if roughly half the initial audience signs up for the streaming service at the $6 rate, you cover the estimated production costs at the lowest end of the scale. Not including advertising costs.

4 mill viewers x $6 a month = 24 mill
    6 mill an episode x 4 episodes a month = 24 mill.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-sunday-sept-24-2017/
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868

Initially, it looks like Discovery pulled in 8.1 million viewers. Up against football (even a terrible game) and the instant classic "Who shot Biggie and Tupac" on Fox, 8.1 million is decent.

I have seen a production cost range anywhere from 6 to 8.5 million per episode (which may be wrong altogether). So if roughly half the initial audience signs up for the streaming service at the $6 rate, you cover the estimated production costs at the lowest end of the scale. Not including advertising costs.

4 mill viewers x $6 a month = 24 mill
    6 mill an episode x 4 episodes a month = 24 mill.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-sunday-sept-24-2017/

Also it's been pre-sold elsewhere. For example, in the UK it's a "NETFLIX ORIGINAL".

Torchsong said:

While not for everyone, the novels have continued the NG timeline forward past Nemesis. I think Riker is an Admiral now. New characters have been introduced.

I think the last couple of books have gone back to single contained stories instead of the wide story archs that covered multiple books which was the norm for probably a decade.

Of course there are still novels published set in the TOS timeframe and the most recent book released was a Discovery story.
    BOOKS?!? Are you suggesting I *READ*!?!? :smiley: