Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited October 2017
    IGN has bought Humblebundle.... :(

On the bright side American Choppers is coming back.
  • mwhitt80 said:

I'd rate that waaaayyy up in worst Basketball injuries I've ever seen. Paul George, the Ware kid in college a few years ago, this one. It was really bad.

For my money, the worst NBA injury I have ever seen (and up there with all-time sports injuries, in general) is the Shaun Livingston knee bend. Half my body went numb just typing that :joy:

mwhitt80 said:

I'd rate that waaaayyy up in worst Basketball injuries I've ever seen. Paul George, the Ware kid in college a few years ago, this one. It was really bad.

For my money, the worst NBA injury I have ever seen (and up there with all-time sports injuries, in general) is the Shaun Livingston knee bend. Half my body went numb just typing that :joy:
    Shudders remember that one
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

IGN has bought Humblebundle.... :(

Whew! Glad I got that Japanese dating sim bundle a while back before this happened. :smiley:
    Ha! That really made me laugh.

And Jeremy Lin is done for the season. These Opening games are the worst this season.

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

Ha! That really made me laugh.

I was joking? ;)
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I finally managed to sign up for MoviePass (the website crashed on me the previous 5 attempts). Now, hopefully, I just need to wait for the card to arrive and I should be able to see Justice League, Thor Ragnarok, & Last Jedi (I also plan on seeing Murder on the Orient Express, but I don't know if the card will arrive before that).
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Geez, I stay out of comic related news and podcasts for months, and I come back to see some shitstorm about Chuck Dixon.

Geez, I stay out of comic related news and podcasts for months, and I come back to see some shitstorm about Chuck Dixon.

?
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Not here you didn't
    edited October 2017
    Here the only Chuck Dixon news is how enjoyable bane Conquest has been.
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Oops I meant on social media. It popped up in my feed a few times.

I would have preferred news about Avengers Infinity War :smiley:
  • WebheadWebhead Posts: 458

(Grabs everyone by the collar and drags them unwillingly back to Star Trek talk..)

I'm actually loving Discovery - it's not the ST series I expected, but it is definitely interesting and very well done, imo. And I am also liking The Orville, which scratches the itch I had for a more traditional, TNG-like Trek. It's a good time to be a TV sci fi geek!

As for weather, it's 90 here in L.A. Hot and dry, and everyone's paranoid that another fire is going to break out. Meanwhile, I am burnt out on Marvel TV shows. Enough already.

Once I learned to let go of my problems with continuity I've been enjoy STD. Although Orville has really surprised me on how good it has been and how much like TNG it has been.

The nod to TAS episodes Once Upon a Planet made and The Counter-Clock Incident was great.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    JB Smoove on Curb Your Enthusiasm is a national treasure
  • DAR said:

JB Smoove on Curb Your Enthusiasm is a national treasure

• aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    I've been listening to Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman, read by Neil Gaiman.
    The voice Gaiman does for Thor reminds me of Rik Mayall's Lord Flashheart voice. It's becoming quite a distraction.

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    aquatroy said:

The voice Gaiman does for Thor reminds me of Rik Mayall's Lord Flashheart voice. It's becoming quite a distraction.

To be fair, the “real” Thor and Lord Flashheart are rather similar characters, although personally, I've always had the voice of Brian Blessed in my head when it comes to Thor.

aquatroy said:

To be fair, the “real” Thor and Lord Flashheart are rather similar characters, although personally, I've always had the voice of Brian Blessed in my head when it comes to Thor.
    That would also work, but I have this image of a red bearded Thor making badly veiled phallic references and ending sentences with "WOOF!"
    aquatroy said:

aquatroy said:

That would also work, but I have this image of a red bearded Thor making badly veiled phallic references and ending sentences with "WOOF!"
    That’s actually fairly consistent with how Gaiman has written Thor over the years, starting in Sandman, and carrying on into Odd and the Frost Giants. There’s a reason Thor doesn’t show up in American Gods, with Shadow acting as kind of a smarter, kinder surrogate in his stead.

aquatroy said:

aquatroy said:

That’s actually fairly consistent with how Gaiman has written Thor over the years, starting in Sandman, and carrying on into Odd and the Frost Giants. There’s a reason Thor doesn’t show up in American Gods, with Shadow acting as kind of a smarter, kinder surrogate in his stead.
    Thinking about it Mad Sweeney kind of fills the Thor niche.
    aquatroy said:

aquatroy said:

aquatroy said:

I don’t think so. Sweeney is just a pawn. Thor, like Shadow, has a strong sense of duty, which Sweeney does not share, and which is vital to the plot. Thor, like Shadow, is the great defender/protector—again, not a quality Sweeney has, and something that is vital to the plot. Sweeney may more closely resemble Thor in appearance and temperment, but that’s it.

aquatroy said:

aquatroy said:

aquatroy said:

I don’t think so. Sweeney is just a pawn. Thor, like Shadow, has a strong sense of duty, which Sweeney does not share, and which is vital to the plot. Thor, like Shadow, is the great defender/protector—again, not a quality Sweeney has, and something that is vital to the plot. Sweeney may more closely resemble Thor in appearance and temperment, but that’s it.
    I was thinking temperament and appearance. I'm not thinking that deep, dude.
    aquatroy said:

aquatroy said:

aquatroy said:

aquatroy said:

I was thinking temperament and appearance. I'm not thinking that deep, dude.
    Ha! From the moment Odin appeared on the plane beside Shadow, I kept wondering if Shadow was supposed to be Thor—perhaps a Thor who didn't remember who he was. Think about when Wednesday tells Shadow to “think snow”—Thor being a weather god, and all that. But it didn’t quite add up. But looking at the way Gaiman has written Thor in other stories, I think American Gods would not have worked if Thor was the hero. The way Gaiman sees Thor, Thor would have died on the World Tree, and Odin and Loki would have won. So we get Shadow, who has the best qualities of Thor, but without the negatives that might have prevented him from being sympathetic to the reader.
    edited October 2017
    So, not only does the Bears TE break his leg, they take his touchdown away...ugh!
  • This World Series has reaffirmed my jealousy for all those west coast (bleep)s who get to actually watch the end of sporting events.
  • @TheOriginalGMan Yes, Sunday night's game may be the longest non-Olympic sporting event I have ever watched :joy: And I'm not a big baseball fan, so man was that a new experience for me
    Well, ESPN I just confirmed that DeShaun Watson has a torn ACL, & is done for the year. So are the Texans.
    Todd McFarlane is on the Puck Soup "hockey" podcast. Ive not listened yet, but I know it will be NSFW.

Well, ESPN I just confirmed that DeShaun Watson has a torn ACL, & is done for the year. So are the Texans.

That's aweful.
    Watson was having a great year.
    I don't know if it's possible to de-emphasize the QB position, but I wonder if football wouldn't be a better game if they could.