Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    So I busted out the little smoker this weekend.

Cheddar and Swiss, smoked plus after a conversation with my wife and new way for smoking cheese started formulating in my Mind grapes.

Eggs, smoked (if you want a fantastic New taste to egg salad use smoked eggs)

Peanuts, harvest is finishing up and I have about ten pounds in shell. So why try something new

First attempt: Smoked salt brine peanuts (needed more time on the smoker)

Second attempt: Beef peanuts (this was a savory recipe that I repurposed and proceeded to leave on the smoker a little too long)
  • Options
    Awesome I love twomorrows sales
  • Options
    You had me at cheese, lost me with eggs, but won me back again with peanuts.
    mwhitt80 said:

Beef peanuts

Okay, I'll bite. Never heard of this.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Beef Nuts
    This was fantastic it's a pecan recipe I found a while back. I wish I had come up with it and oddly have never used it on pecans (which would be spectacular)

Ingredients
    2 teaspoons table salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
    1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
    1 pound raw pecan halves
    Do this
    1) Preheat your grill/smoker to 225°F in the indirect zone.
    2) In a bowl, mix together the cumin, paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper. Add the wet ingredients and stir. Add the nuts and coat.
    3) Place on an oiled grill topper and smoke for 30 minutes, stirring and flipping after 15 minutes. Take them off, spread the out in a pan and let them cool and harden thoroughly for about 2 hours.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Notes
    Now if you use peanuts Remember the oil content is way higher so cook time has to increase. I'm trial and error-ing right now all I can say is that 30 minutes is too short and I ended up burning mine, but they were still good. If you have a grill this could be repurposed or you can use it as a makeshift smoker
    The taste sort of meat and salty and Smokey.

Round 3
    brined salty nuts
    10 minute soak in salty water.
    Drain off the water sprinkle with salt (always use kosher or a finer grind sea salt for grilling/smoking)
    Then I cooked them for 1.5 hrs.
    Much better this time.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Beef Nuts
    This was fantastic it's a pecan recipe I found a while back. I wish I had come up with it and oddly have never used it on pecans (which would be spectacular)

Ingredients
    2 teaspoons table salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
    1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
    1 pound raw pecan halves
    Do this
    1) Preheat your grill/smoker to 225°F in the indirect zone.
    2) In a bowl, mix together the cumin, paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper. Add the wet ingredients and stir. Add the nuts and coat.
    3) Place on an oiled grill topper and smoke for 30 minutes, stirring and flipping after 15 minutes. Take them off, spread the out in a pan and let them cool and harden thoroughly for about 2 hours.

That does sound pretty tasty.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

6 weeks in and he's slept from 9 pm until 6 am for three straight nights. Keep the fingers crossed that he might get to move into his own room soon.

First major hurdle cleared. Pleasant dreams!
  • Options
    He's on Pace with his sister. We lost his brother right about this age and he basically spent his last week in the hospital. so sure how he staked up there.
    But thank goodness he's healthy and sleeping
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    So Kevin Spacey had a role in a movie coming out next month called All the Money in the World, where he was playing J Paul Getty. Well due to the allegations against, Ridley Scott has decided to reshoot his scenes with Christopher Plummer.

The fascinating thing is the movie was already finished and going to open next month.
  • Options
    Yeah boy, learning about our tax code today. 8 hours of learning how the government nickel and dimes us to death in the most nonsensical ways.

Btw I'm a firm believer that tax code should be required classes for everyone. It should be taken in October every year.
  • Options
    Hey! My game STAR TREK BRIDGE CREW VR is nominated for VR Game of the Year in the Game Awards!

thegameawards.com/awards/#best-vrar-game

Go take a look and, if so inclined, VOTE!!!

• Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Yeah boy, learning about our tax code today. 8 hours of learning how the government nickel and dimes us to death in the most nonsensical ways.

Btw I'm a firm believer that tax code should be required classes for everyone. It should be taken in October every year.

Good advice, but I already get schooled pretty hard every April.
  • Options

I don't normally pimp my books here on the forum—that's not why I post here. But—there’s always a but—TwoMorrows is having a really big sale on all artist books, including every one of my books still in print, from now until Thanksgiving. 60% off cover price is too big not to mention. So now it's mentioned. Carry on.

Can't go wrong with ANY of the TwoMorrows books... but I really loved the Marie Severin and Filmation ones.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Tonebone said:

Hey! My game STAR TREK BRIDGE CREW VR is nominated for VR Game of the Year in the Game Awards!

thegameawards.com/awards/#best-vrar-game

Go take a look and, if so inclined, VOTE!!!

Congrats!

Feel free to send me a complimentary copy if you win!!
  • Options
    So my daughter heard Daddies stand up to use the bathroom. She can't figure out how/why. I've been bombarded with pee questions.
  • Options
    So, in the latest Jessica Jones story line, the Purple Man has returned to mess with Jessica's life once again. Got me wondering, what would be a sound "in-universe" strategy to deal with him?

Tracking him down is always half the problem. Do, for instance, Dr. Strange or Professor X have the ability to locate him? If so, can Professor X's powers neutralize him? Or does the potential of him taking control of Xavier pose too great a risk? Idk. The latest issue didn't do much to make me think Jessica has much of a strategy here.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

So my daughter heard Daddies stand up to use the bathroom. She can't figure out how/why. I've been bombarded with pee questions.

Surveillance footage of @mwhitt80's response:

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited November 2017
    mwhitt80 said:

I was fortunate that my wife had to deal with that question when our daughter asked.
  • Options
    For $16 a month, a new streaming service called Philo offers 37 channels, including A&E, AMC, BET, CMT, MTV, HGTV, OWN, History, VH1, Comedy Central, and IFC. For an additional $4 a month you can add nine more networks for a total of 46. Basically, this is a service little different from cable TV, where you watch these channels live. The only difference is that you are streaming them over the Internet.

Doesn't include sports and cable news. There is no ESPN, no CNN or MSNBC. These are entertainment-only networks.

Find out more here: https://try.philo.com
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited November 2017
    By

For $16 a month, a new streaming service called Philo offers 37 channels, including A&E, AMC, BET, CMT, MTV, HGTV, OWN, History, VH1, Comedy Central, and IFC. For an additional $4 a month you can add nine more networks for a total of 46. Basically, this is a service little different from cable TV, where you watch these channels live. The only difference is that you are streaming them over the Internet.

Doesn't include sports and cable news. There is no ESPN, no CNN or MSNBC. These are entertainment-only networks.

Find out more here: https://try.philo.com

Just be aware of any data caps your ISP may have. Some don't have them but many do and streaming all your TV could get expensive for families with kids.
  • Options
    Getting ready to fire up the little smoker for the weekend. This weekend's menu:
    Cheddar Cheese
    Deer Loin (drunken buck wild recipe)
    Bacon
    Eggs (because I love smoked egg salad sandwiches.)
  • Options
    Amadeus Cho claims to be the 5th smartest person in the (Marvel) world. Who does he consider ahead of him?

Reed Richards, naturally. Guessing Vic Von D, as well. After that though ... ???
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited November 2017

Amadeus Cho claims to be the 5th smartest person in the (Marvel) world. Who does he consider ahead of him?

Reed Richards, naturally. Guessing Vic Von D, as well. After that though ... ???

Hank Pym for one. It depends on when he made the claim, though, because there’s a new sheriff in town, Lunella Lafayette, a.k.a. Moon Girl.

You would think, though, that at least one of the top five minds on the planet would not be a superhero/supervillain.
  • Options
    Hank Pym and Hank McCoy for sure.

Now this list has them mapped out pretty well, but it's from 2016, so it doesn't include Riri Williams. *cough**cough*

https://www.cbr.com/super-genius-the-16-smartest-marvel-superheroes/
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Reed, Doom, Bruce, Pym, TChalla, Cho

These guys all view Stark as engineer who only improves on ideas and never creates. Waid did a great Hulk issue with Tony getting put in his place by Bruce.

Edit: I'd have to go back and look, but I'm 90% sure that was his list. It was from the incredible herc run.
  • Options

It depends on when he made the claim,

Last week's issue of the Champions.