Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Here's my Free Comic Book Day 2019 haul...The ones on the bottom row I obviously purchased.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

Nice. I love the deathmate. Missing the red one aren't you?

• Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Nice. I love the deathmate. Missing the red one aren't you?

They didn't have it (or I couldn't find it). All they had were Silver, Yellow (both of which were $.25), & Black (which was out of my price range at $5)
  • Options

Do any of you guys have a cool home office or comics room? I would love to see some pictures

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    mwhitt80 said:

Do any of you guys have a cool home office or comics room? I would love to see some pictures

Define "cool." My room is in the basement in my work-at-home office. I usually have to use a space heater in the colder months. It's also fairly messy.
  • Options
    Could someone please explain how Watchmen was supposed to be "better" as an HBO series, because I just don't see it.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    DAR said:

There’s rumors going around that the New Mutants has been delayed to March 2020. This is never getting released

Yep was delayed until April next year
  • Options

Man I had to apologise to lady working at the eye doctor today. I snapped at her and it wasn't her fault May isn't exactly my favorite month.

Anyway here's the lesson. Even if you are aggravated at life; it is not an excuse not to treat someone with respect. If you are wrong admit, apologize, move forward.

• Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Man I had to apologise to lady working at the eye doctor today. I snapped at her and it wasn't her fault May isn't exactly my favorite month.

Anyway here's the lesson. Even if you are aggravated at life; it is not an excuse not to treat someone with respect. If you are wrong admit, apologize, move forward.

Man if we could get like 20% of the internet to follow your advice things would be better.
  • Options

I Was moving my anime to a bigger CD case and saw a DVD copy of Akira. That triggered a memory I haven't had in years.

Do you remember walking around a fye and seeing the anime corner with the ridiculous prices?

• Options

If I brought this DVD case back to then, someone would have murdered me for it

• Options
    edited May 2019
    It might not be a popular view to hold, at least according to the internet. But I’ve liked this season of Game of Thrones. And even if I didn’t I probably wouldn’t act like a spoiled child
  • Options
    VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    edited May 2019
    I'm not trying to change your opinion but if I could share my take on GoT as one of the people who hated what happened and don't feel I'm being spoiled by publicly adding my voice to the many others who hated it. I sincerely see no difference between this current reaction and the reaction and long-running complaints about the Star Wars prequels, except for the fact that the hatred for the prequels was more unanimous. But it certainly wasn't calm or sober. "George Lucas raped my childhood" was a quote I remember reading about. They even made a film The People Vs. George Lucas. But if you feel they also were acting like spoiled children, fair enough. But for I think the hatred for what they did with the character in GoT and voicing it is a little different.

SPOILERS if you haven't seen the last 2 eps of GoT:

First, for me, Daenerys was the most interesting and 3-dimensional heroic character I've ever seen in a fantasy, hands down. So, for me, the penultimate episode of GoT was like watching the last half hour of Return of the Jedi and watching Luke Skywalker actually joining the dark side and slaughtering all the ewoks b/c he's angry. Sure, everyone who might have liked it could point out that it was foreshadowed all over the place before that, but the character as developed onscreen (in terms of his actual behavior and choices) never suggested he would go that route.

What was worse is that GoT is far more sophisticated than Star Wars and Daenerys was far more interesting a character. IMO you don't get fleshed out heroes like Daenerys very often in any genre, never mind fantasy, and they basically threw that hero in the garbage very abruptly.

To be clear, my reaction for how her character was handled has nothing to do with "fridging" or alleged underlying "sexism" or "misogyny", although I've read some articles where some people unsurprisingly jump to the kind of name-calling that requires "Only the Shadow knows" levels of psychic insight into the hearts of men. IMO the writers failed to ever demonstrate that she was becoming indifferent to innocent lives, which is a development one would like to see before a character goes genocidal. I would've also appreciated seeing her behave in any way that suggested she might be mentally ill given her long term goal of obtaining the throne. She never acted crazy.

What the writers did offer us instead was several years of other characters occasionally talking about how she could go bad and how her dad was mad, but as a character, they only ever showed Daenerys caring about innocents who weren't actively challenging her rule or harming innocents themselves. IMO the showrunners failed a cardinal rule of cinema and tv when it came to her character: "Show don't tell", which was extra shocking for me given how well written I thought the past seasons had been. It resulted in 7 seasons of her behaving like an impulsive and monstrously entitled contender for the throne, but a heroic and empathetic one at that.

To quote someone on another podcast: "Foreshadowing and character development aren't the same thing". And killing people who challenge your authority is quite different from indiscriminately slaughtering helpless women and children who've surrendered to you. Especially when the person who's aggrieved you the most is right in front of you. Why? The showrunner said that Daenerys decides to "make it personal" when she makes her decision, but I don't see what's "personal" about slaughtering people that Cersei doesn't care about anyway. More importantly, Daenerys knew full well that Cersei didn't care about her people, so again, someone like me is left wondering, Why? Why didn't you actually show the character develop? Why did you take this massive shortcut and ruin something that had been great for nothing more than a shock ending?

The one thing I think most people can all agree on: that episode will go down in history as the most polarizing episode of television in history in terms of what was done with a character. (Lost and the Sopranos were polarizing, but it was more because of the actual endings themselves.)

And again this is just my attempt at explaining why I - and many others - feel the way we do. For you and many others the foreshadowing was enough, which is fine. Different strokes...
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited May 2019
    I'm pretty dissatisfied with the end results as well. I think though, that for everyone that says that it was foreshadowed, that's true. My complaint was that they cut so much out of the story that really lead to the inevitability of her turn.

It's really pretty tragic that as a whole Season 8 came across so lackluster given that, for me at least, it also contains what may be the best episode of the entire series (8-2 Knight of the Seven Kingdoms).

ETA - I assume that the original point was more about the petition to call a mulligan on Season 8 and rewrite/reshoot the entire thing? I totally agree with that being a spoiled child sense of entitlement.
  • Options
    Yeah I was certainly disappointed in the finale. It just was like that’s it. Overall I did lean positive on the season. And the series for about 90% (for me at least) was magnificent
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    DAR said:

Yeah I was certainly disappointed in the finale. It just was like that’s it. Overall I did lean positive on the season. And the series for about 90% (for me at least) was magnificent

I'm definitely extremely positive on the series as a whole. I think that they chose to nonsurgically prune (like with an axe) an awful lot of stuff (Dorne, fAegon and mystic Euron for example) that had to have impact on outcomes.. I'm extremely positive on 8-2 and liked 8-4 very much. The utterly terrible use of Jon this season and utterly terrible tactics really took away from my overall ranking for the season.
  • Options
    VertighostVertighost Posts: 335

I agree that the petition seems like the act of a spoiled child. but I read that the creator of the petition doesn’t actually think HBO is going to redo it and just created a forum to show how many people hated what they did. I added my name to it solely for that reason. I don’t for a second believe a redo would ever occur (nor would I want one). As long as people aren’t asking for resignations or firings I’m ok with complaining. 🙂

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Mile High Comics Jason Street Superstore was robbed over the last. It's reported that the thief stole $42,000 in comics, but since MHC has been know to notoriously hike their prices, the total amount stolen was more like $62.37.

Anyway, "Of those that were stolen, that includes the first Avengers comic book, the first Iron Man book, and a rare autographed Spider-Man comic book."

Bummer for Chuck and crew. I hope they find the loser and get the books back.
  • Options

I saw that. It's such a wierd story, the guy breaks the glass, bleeds on stuff, tries to clean it up and nobody is like 'hey why is that guy bleeding all over comics and are those cases broken?'

is the guy filling out his collection or does he know that he can't sell the really high dollar comics without popping up on radars? I hope it's not insurance fraud.

I hope they catch the guy, but man there are failures in Chuck's theft prevention process.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    No one else was in the store when he broke in. I like that he went out of his way to put plastic bags over his shoes, presumably to avoid leaving footprints, but only had them on one shoe.
  • Options
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Somebody has been watching too much CSI
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Anybody have fun summer plans?

• Options
    Yes, but if I tell them to you, they might not come true.
  • Options
    On that note, though, I'll be at Heroes Con in a little less than two weeks from now. It remains to be seen how much fun will be had. My wife may have to stay behind to work overtime, which (besides not being able to spend time with the missus) would mean I would not be able to leave the booth during show hours, which would well and truly suck.

Hope I didn’t just jinx myself.
  • Options

Very cryptic.

Work is going to be really busy for me. I'm going to have to finish all my tax returns by June, then have a work transition in July. I'm thinking I've got about 2 more years of at the office then I am going to change jobs, but we will see.

• Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Very cryptic.

Not really. It just sounded more interesting than my actual plans. :)
  • Options

Remember a few months ago when I mentioned that I found an old yoyo and was playing with the kids. Well my birthday was last week and I purchased a new set of yoyos and replacement parts for my old one. I also ordered a new tricks book because it can't yoyo for crap anymore. My daughter is going to be so jealous.

• Options
    So what you’re saying is that yoyoing has its ups and downs.