Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I don't think I'm going to be able to use scans from my Absolute Edition of Planetary fro my review...

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

Been a little quiet this month, but it's been busy. First I have been trying to finish the Orion omnibus, and read Dark Knight 3.

Second we had a major change at our office that has kept me busy.

Third I've been lazy about posting.

In a positive note my yo-yo skills are slowly coming back

A hurricane is called a typhoon or cyclone in the Pacific.

That is all.

• dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Now I have been gone for a few years,but what happened here? The forum use to be uber busy and active. Now it feels halfway dead.

You left, others left in 1s and 2s

You gotta come back as a regular. We need @WetRats to come back and few others to get it hopping a little bit

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    mwhitt80 said:

A hurricane is called a typhoon or cyclone in the Pacific.

That is all.

The word hurricane is derived from the name of a Carib god of evil, Huricán, who was derived in turn from the name of the Mayan god of wind, storm, and fire, Huracán. Meanwhile, the word typhoon is derived from either the Chinese word, tai fung or taifeng, which means pretty much the same as our definition of typhoon, or the Urdu word, tufan, which means violent storm.

Hurricanes and typhoons are just localized (and anglicized) names for the scientific term, tropical cyclones (derived from Greek).

I love etymology, and that’s a Flash Fact!
    edited July 2019

Hahaha

I wrote that out of frustration from reading the name "Hurricane" Freddie. Was it going to Texas, the Carolinas, Florida? Nope [expletive] California. It's not a hurricane then, it's a typhoon.

Why nomenclature matters.

@nweathington I have really been enjoying the modern Masters mark Shultz book.

I will say this again: that man can draw

mwhitt80 said:

Hahaha

I wrote that out of frustration from reading the name "Hurricane" Freddie. Was it going to Texas, the Carolinas, Florida? Nope [expletive] California. It's not a hurricane then, it's a typhoon.

Why nomenclature matters.

I feel you, but to be fair, the Spanish residents of what is now California were calling them hurricanes as far back as the 1500s. The precedent is well established.
    mwhitt80 said:

@nweathington I have really been enjoying the modern Masters mark Shultz book.

I will say this again: that man can draw

Awesome, glad you like it!
    edited July 2019

Criterion has announced what criterion 1000 is going to be.

A 15 movie Godzilla set from 1954-1975.

Included is the Japanese release of King Kong vs Godzilla

I've got to start saving because it's listed on Amazon for $209.10.

So my wife’s workplace had a fire last night. Probably started in the lab, but it took the whole lab out and everything else with it. We had some stuff stored there in one of the unused rooms. I lost five long boxes of comics and a bunch of extra copies of the books I've done. Nothing of great value, and mainly stuff I'd probably never read again, so not the end of the world, but my wife might be out of a job depending on what the insurance company does. Whee!
  • VertighostVertighost Posts: 335

Sorry to hear that. Sending out good wishes that the fire doesn’t result in anything more lost than the comics.

Thanks, I appreciate that.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Very sorry to hear that, @nweathington
    Thanks, David. The insurance adjuster is inspecting the building tomorrow, so we’ll see how it goes.
    edited August 2019

I have been reading about Rob Liefeld disavowing Youngblood over problems with the current owner(ish) of the Youngblood property. It's not that interesting, but sometimes I don't want to know how the sausage factory writes it's invoices.

Sometimes I just want a delicious bratwurst. Or in this case roided up guys fighting roided up guys with too many pockets (and biceps) swinging gigantic machine gun axes.

But it might be a while before Rob comes back to Youngblood. :sad emoji:

*edit I will always have terrible backissues of supreme, and my pitch of the more than complete extreme omnibus series (in reading order) is dead in the water.

@nweathington sorry to hear about the fire

Thanks, @mwhitt80. Insurance adjuster is done, said the place was probably underinsured, and that their investigator will tag-team with the insurance investigator for the business next door to try and speed things up, but it will probably be at least a month before they decide on a figure.

@nweathington have you ever watched the Japanese show Ultra Q? It popped up in my Amazon in while looking at the criterion Godzilla set coming soon. It's supposed to be the predecessor to the Ultraman show; I'd never heard of it.

mwhitt80 said:

@nweathington have you ever watched the Japanese show Ultra Q? It popped up in my Amazon in while looking at the criterion Godzilla set coming soon. It's supposed to be the predecessor to the Ultraman show; I'd never heard of it.

I've seen clips but that’s it. Shout Factory! was streaming it on their app a few years back, but I never got around to watching it before they took it down. And, yes, it immediately predated the first Ultraman series. It ran into syndication problems because it was filmed in black-&-white during the time American TV was changing to color, but it has been translated.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited August 2019

mwhitt80 said:

I've seen clips but that’s it. Shout Factory! was streaming it on their app a few years back, but I never got around to watching it before they took it down. And, yes, it immediately predated the first Ultraman series. It ran into syndication problems because it was filmed in black-&-white during the time American TV was changing to color, but it has been translated.
    Mill Creek have a Blu Ray out soon. Which I'm unsure about, as I have their Heathcliff & The Catillac Cats DVDs which are the second-worst authored DVDs I've ever bought (the video quality is fine, it's just that their usage of chaptering is mind-boggling).

They mentioned UK licencing for it (and the other Ultra series that Mill Creek have), so I might just wait and see what shows up here rather than importing it.

I'm probably going to get ultra q and Ultraman it looks like they are going to selling this set as 2 volumes in a steel cases.

I would say "sadness" but I never loot crated or watched unboxing videos

• DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Been reading about the Sony/Disney divorce over Spider-Man.

In this instance I side with the the mega corporation
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    DAR said:

Been reading about the Sony/Disney divorce over Spider-Man.

In this instance, I side with the mega-corporation

On the plus side, the PS4 is getting an exclusive remaster of that Ghostbusters game with the original cast (that was effectively Ghostbusters 3).
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    edited August 2019
    Me: I don’t think I can pay for another streaming service.

Disney: We have a streaming service coming with our entire film library. New Marvel and Star Wars shows. Plus a show where Jeff Goldblum explores things. It’s only for $6.99.

Me: image

What do you get when you combine a parakeet and a lawnmower?

Shredded Tweet