Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

I was reading comic book fever and noticed in the credits @nweathington had a hand in getting this fun book in our hands. But I had a question did you get to talk to Alex Ross a lot? And if I won the lottery, I would try my dangest to buy that cover; I love it.

• mwhitt80 said:

I was reading comic book fever and noticed in the credits @nweathington had a hand in getting this fun book in our hands. But I had a question did you get to talk to Alex Ross a lot? And if I won the lottery, I would try my dangest to buy that cover; I love it.

It's been a long, long time since I’ve talked with Alex. George talks with him fairly often though. I can’t remember if it was George or Alex’s initial idea to use Snyderman on the cover, but I'm pretty sure it was Alex’s idea to have Snyderman holding a young George. Either way, yes, it's a really cool image.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited February 2019
    Avengers - No Road Home #1 a great follow up by the team that brought you No Surrender, but you don't need to have read that to jump onboard here. Once again it invokes both 80s superhero team dynamics - particularly Stern and Buscema's Avengers, but also Claremont & Davis' Excalibur and Giffen and DeMatteis' Justice League - and the sort of Thrill Power you only get from weekly comics.

And it works better than Aaron's main Avengers title (which I now realise is part Morrison's JLA, part Ellis' Authority).
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

I’m am currently going through Excel Saga, trying to finish the series. I started last year, but got sidetracked.

• BryanBryan Posts: 207
    edited February 2019
    Criminal #2 was great; I’m excited for the shorter stories in thes first few issues. That said, and I hate to say this, I think Jacob Phillps is a step back in terms of color art.

I’m also really enjoying Gunning for Hits, a crime book set in a backdrop of the 80s music business. If that description sounds good to you, I’d recommend checking it out. 2 dropped Wednesday and 1 is probably still on the shelf at your LCS.
  • I'm getting caught up on the latest League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (The Tempest) and am absolutely loving it. It's been 20 years since the original book and, along the way with Black Dossier, I lost track of this universe. This is VERY British and with a great many nods to past literary and comic references but with Alan Moore's unique and highly creative twists. If you haven't check out the League in awhile, it is worth a revisit.
  • mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Crisis on Infinite Earths: This was the second time reading. I picked up on a lot more than the last time (a few years ago). I liked at the end where Pariah, Lady Quark and Lyla were talking and seemed to be going off to explore the world together. Did they ever follow up on this trio?

Freedom Fighters #2: Already getting really good. This is going to be one to collect, I think.

Gideon Falls #10 & #11: The last few issues had felt to be dragging along, but these two really pick things up. Now we're starting to get just a tiny glance at what is going on and the major characters are somewhat coming together. Between this and Black Hammer, Jeff Lemire is one of the premiere writers in comics. He just keeps getting better and better.

I am waiting for the collection on the tempest. You might want to try the LoEG Nemo trilogy. Those are 3 stand alone interconnected stories about Nemo's daughter.

• I will. They reference her in the new stories.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Bloodfire 7,8,9
    Yes the hero from Lightning Comics. I never read these when they were coming out in the 90s comic boom. But always thought the premise was a neat idea. Found 4 or so issues 6 years ago for a quarter each.

The idea behind Bloodfire is this. A formula that gives people injected with it super powers is discovered. The only flaw is anyone injected with it ends up dying cause the body's immune system rejects it. So one scientist comes up with a solution. The solution is to infect someone with the HIV virus. And now with their immune system compromised the formula gives them super powers. Bloodfire ends up with Captain America's powers plus the ability to generate fire.

Sure the art isn't the best. And the story is very by the numbers. Doesn't matter I was very entertained by a comic I figured would be crappier than the crappiest 90s boom comics.
  • I have been reading a collection of Star Lord stuff... pretty much everything up until he reappeared in the Abnet/Lanning version.

Anyhoo... the highlight is the Claremont/Byrne/Austin version, which was cover dated Summer of 77, which means it probably hit the stands in Spring of 77, and was probably produced Autumn/Winter of 76. In this, mysteriously, the bad guy sics his minions on Quill, and refers to them as his Sith-Lords. This is referenced and repeated many times over a few pages. It kind of blew my mind.

I am sure this came about late enough for Lucas to not have been influenced by it for Star Wars, and I know the movie adaptation ws probably being created at Marvel about this time, but I don't know if the term "Sith-Lord" was even used in the first movie. Pretty sure they called Vader "Dark Lord of the Sith".

Now,the etymology of the word lies in ancient Scottish Gailic, and is a reference to a type of (evil) Faerie spirit that inhabits old burrial mounds. It's spelled wierdly (Sidhe), but is pronounced "sith"... I can find no reference to it being used spelled Sith, other than Star Wars, and especially not as "sith-lord" specifically.

Just thought that was interesting.

Oh, yeah... after sword-fighting the bad guy, he tells Quill he's his father.
  • The term “Lord of the Sith” was in the original script and novelization. It’s also used in the original Marvel adaptation, which Roy Thomas wrote based of the “final” script (two scenes were later cut) he was given sometime in late spring/early summer of 1976. Roy says he initially only skimmed through the script and only read it fully shortly after he and Chaykin went to visit the Lucasfilm studio right after the 1976 San Diego Comic Con. It’s quite possible Claremont saw the Star Wars script in the Marvel offices before writing his Star-Lord story, but most likely it’s just weird coincidence. His sith-lords were reptilian, and “sith” has a reptilian ring to it.

My wife tried learning Gaelic for a while, and sidhe is pronounced “shee” (more or less), not “sith”. There is an archaic word “sith” of Norse/Germanic origin which basically means (and later evolved as) “since”. More likely, Lucas just like the sound of it. Again, it has a reptilian, snaky vibe, and we humans generally associate reptiles/snakes with evil and darkness.
    edited February 2019
    Either by accident or by design Guardians of the Galaxy #2 is slowly turning into 90's DC comic L.E.G.I.O.N. with Starfox in the Vril Dox II role and Cosmic Ghost Rider as Lobo. Part of it is I guess because "Marvel Cosmic" has Keith Giffen's imprint on it still, but I wonder how much of an influence Giffen is on Cates.

It's enjoyable, but it does feel like it's going in circles a little just 2 issues in, and I miss the more ambitious cosmic ideas of Al Ewing's Ultimates and even Duggan's recent Infinity War.
  • MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    Haven't read any Marvel since the reboot, thinking about getting back into it. Any recommended runs?
    Mihawk said:

Haven't read any Marvel since the reboot, thinking about getting back into it. Any recommended runs?

Immortal Hulk just finished it's first 13 issue epic. Probably the best reviewed book Marvel have had in the last year.

I echo the recommendation of Immortal Hulk.

I'll add the recently ended Thanos ongoing by Donny Cates, a lot of good stuff in that one.

• MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    Thanks. I'll check those out.

I had to put down Earth X omnibus. It is not a before bed book. I kept rereading the same 5 pages in issue 2 and falling asleep. It takes to much concentration.

As I was reshelving I picked up Annihilation Omnibus. Man I love this story; I picked it up last night and have read the Drax mini and Nova mini. It is so good.

@mwhitt80 I have that omnibus and have never actually read it (never read the omnibus, read the issues when it came out). Might have to do so soon...

I read the issues also, and decided to reread the series with my omnibus. Man 2006 was an awesome year for marvel.

Civil war

Annihilation

Planet Hulk

All the major events were really good.

• VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    Although I'm not normally a fan of most of the characters, I really enjoyed the temporary team-up called Circle of Four featuring Red Hulk, X-23, the Alejandra version of Ghost Rider, and Flash Thompson version of Venom in Venom 13-14. The set-up for bringing all the characters together didn't feel contrived and the rest was just kind of mindless but also a lot of fun with demons and Hell. I find team-ups between anti-heroes or outright villains foster more unpredictability as the "heroes" themselves cant always be counted on to do the right thing.
  • BryanBryan Posts: 207
    I’ve read through about 1/2 of Mr. Miracle this weekend. I know everyone has been raving about it so I shouldn’t have been, but I was still a little surprised at how good it is so far.

The circle of 4, or the "New-New Fantastic 4", is play off the "New Fantastic 4" (Spiderman, Hulk, Danny Ketch GR, Wolverine) appeared in 3 great issues of FF (347-349). There have been only 2 New FF appearances and 2 different variations of the team.

Occasionally you get a fun call back from Bruce banner, Spidey or wolverine being members of the FF.

I am really digging Bendis's Superman. I live Superman being awesome

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    The solicitation for Astro Hustle (Dark Horse) kind of intrigued me, but not enough to order it sight unseen. Well, I saw the first issue today, and the artwork was much nicer than I was expecting, so I picked it up, and now I think I'll be adding it to my list. It’s pushing a late ’60s/’70s vibe—kind of a mash-up of sci-fi movies, like Barbarella, and exploitation films.

Jai Nitz is the writer, and the book is in a similar vein to his too-short-lived Fu Jitsu series. As with Fu Jitsu, Astro Hustle moves at a swift pace, and with very little exposition. You just jump into the story and go, picking up bits of backstory as you go. Also like Fu Jitsu, Nitz has paired up with a very promising young artist, this time with Tom Reilly. Reilly is obviously a devotee of Alex Toth, which is A-OK by me. If you like Chris Samnee’s work, you'll like Reilly just fine. His figures are very expressive, and his storytelling is on point.

Astro Hustle is a four-issue miniseries, so it's not much of a commitment. I’m on board.

One Pound Gospel vol.1 - A boxing manga by the creator of ranma 1/2 and inuyasha. a talented young boxer is trying to rise through the ranks of Japan's boxing scene while continually screwing up through his own undisciplined mistakes. Then he meets a nun...

It's a romantic comedy that has some drama mixed in. Rumiko Takahashi has a style story she likes writing; so if you have enjoyed her work in the past you might want to check it out.

Mwhitt80, thanks for the info, I did not know that.
  • I'm rereading Flash Gordon Zeitgeist from Dynamite from a couple of years ago. I really admire Alex Ross' ability (and desire) to mashup the Alex Raymond strip, the Filmation cartoon and movie, and the DeLaurentis movie.

He and his co-creators put forth a really great series, with lots of nice nods to the various points of origin. My only complaint is that the coloring is so dark at times that it's hard to actually see the underlying artwork. Kinda makes it hard to tell what's going on at times. Not always, but often enough.

It's a great series, if you like some pulpy sci-fi adventure, with some fantastic design work and world building.
    WOW. I just finished Darth Vader The Burning Seas by Soule and Camuncoli and I cannot praise it enough. Like Chris Eberle has noted, this and the main Star Wars comic continue to turn out amazing tales that fit in seamlessly with the films. And if anyone is interested in trying a self -contained one-off of Vader, try issue 18. Fantastic stuff.