Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• mphilmphil Posts: 448
    This one I finished a while ago but never wrote about here:

Werewolf By Night Omnibus: This was the biggest omnibus I've ever read. I started reading it in early September and didn't finish until early November. I read a couple of books in between but still.

It was fantastic. I've read some Werewolf by Night issues here and there but getting the full story from the bronze age origin was really entertaining.

A lot of the stories follow a formula of: bad guys kidnap Jack (as the werewolf) in order to take advantage of his powers / sacrifice him to their gods, he smashes them and escapes. Oh and there's a few teammate issues thrown in as well (one with Morbius, one with Frankenstein, and a couple with Dracula iirc).

The story gets dark at one point, and I won't spoil it here, but Jack badly injures a friend as the werewolf and he really contemplates just dying. Deep deep stuff for the time period.

My highest possible recommendation.

• @Mphil, can you share which issues featured the story with Jack injuring a friend and thinking about dying? I'm a fan of the classic monsters, but find many of the ones I've read too formulaic and the art not good. What you describe sounds like something I might enjoy more, especially if the art is decent. I have about 3 WBN issues that Marv Wolfman (no relation 😊) wrote and Ploog drew that I really enjoyed. I know Ploog didn't stick around but his work on those (they introduced Topaz) were exactly how I preferred Ploog's art (I'm sure the inker was key also but I forget who it was).
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,738
    edited December 2018

I know Ploog didn't stick around but his work on those (they introduced Topaz) were exactly how I preferred Ploog's art (I'm sure the inker was key also but I forget who it was).

Mike inked the covers himself. Frank Chiaramonte inked the interiors for the first three issues. Mike and Chiaramonte had already worked together under Eisner on stuff for PS magazine before getting work from Marvel. Frank Bolle inked a couple of issues, Mike inked one of the issues himself, and Jim Mooney inked the last one.

Edit: When Mike came back for a short run in the second year, all those issues were inked by Chiaramonte.

@Mphil, can you share which issues featured the story with Jack injuring a friend and thinking about dying? I'm a fan of the classic monsters, but find many of the ones I've read too formulaic and the art not good. What you describe sounds like something I might enjoy more, especially if the art is decent. I have about 3 WBN issues that Marv Wolfman (no relation 😊) wrote and Ploog drew that I really enjoyed. I know Ploog didn't stick around but his work on those (they introduced Topaz) were exactly how I preferred Ploog's art (I'm sure the inker was key also but I forget who it was).

The issues I'm referring to are roughly 31-36. It was drawn by Don Perlin but the style is very similar to Ploog's. In fact, all of the art in this omnibus is very similar and if I didn't look at the credits I wouldn't even know that there are different artists (but to be fairly, I think Perlin did most of them).

The story isn't *only* about what Jack did, it's more of a subplot. It's more prominent in the first couple of issues iirc. When I say that he was thinking about dying I might be missing that slightly. I didn't reread the panels before writing that. I know that he was feeling really down about what he did, but whether he wanted to die I can't recall.
  • mphil said:

It was drawn by Don Perlin but the style is very similar to Ploog's.

Fun fact: Both Perlin and Ploog worked for Will Eisner during their careers. Perlin worked on The Spirit for three weeks back in the ’50s, while Mike worked for Eisner in the late ’60s for three or four years. Eisner was a much bigger influence on Mike than on Perlin though, because Mike copied Eisner’s style for so long and basically learned sequential storytelling from him. You can still see a lot of Eisner characteristics in Mike's work today. Perlin learned under Burne Hogarth, and it shows in his drawing style. His figures are still very curvy and rounded like Mike’s (and Eisner’s)—something Perlin likely picked up from Hogarth’s slick approach to figure drawing—but they tend to be a little longer (again, a Hogarth trait) and stiffer.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
  • mwhitt80 said:

I like the new avatar @nweathington

Thanks! It's a crop of the cover to Santa Claus Funnies #2, drawn by Arthur Jameson, a British-born illustrator (newspapers, magazines, children’s books) who dabbled in comics late in his career. He was in his 70s when he did this.
  • Thank you for the info, @mphil. Also thanks to @nweathington for clarifying on the art. I guess I'm not surprised to discover that Ploog is closer to Eisner in art style since I'm a fan of both of them, but I don't like Perlin's art very much at all. I can also see the similarity between Perlin and Ploog (esp w/ some of the inkers who I don't feel do Ploog justice) but for some reason the difference between them (and specifically however Frank Chiaromente is reinforcing/enhancing Ploog's art) makes a world of difference to me.
  • Thank you for the info, @mphil. Also thanks to @nweathington for clarifying on the art. I guess I'm not surprised to discover that Ploog is closer to Eisner in art style since I'm a fan of both of them, but I don't like Perlin's art very much at all. I can also see the similarity between Perlin and Ploog (esp w/ some of the inkers who I don't feel do Ploog justice) but for some reason the difference between them (and specifically however Frank Chiaromente is reinforcing/enhancing Ploog's art) makes a world of difference to me.

Perlin’s work always felt too stiff for me, no matter who was inking him. Mike’s work always had some life to it, no matter who was inking him. I think it helped that Mike worked in animation (he did layouts for the ’60s Superman and Batman cartoons, as well as the original Scooby Doo pilot, among other things) before doing comics.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Immortal Hulk #10 - Easily my favourite superhero comic of 2018. With this issue I realised that it's exploring similar ideas to Twin Peaks Season 3 and The Secret History of Twin Peaks, with the idea of atomic weapon testing altering reality on a supernatural level.

That it somehow involves two members of Alpha Flight, Crusher Creel and an Ann Nocenti-created Daredevil villain is the icing on the cake.

Special shout out to Paul Mounts' colours, which a wonderful lurid effect to them, especially on one apocalyptic double spread.
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Sparrowhawk #1 (of 5) was an interesting read. Boom describes it as "Victorian teen fight Club". To me it's what you would get if Lewis Carol made video games. The protagonist is pulled through a mirror into "Fairy Land" and is forced to fight and kill other residence of Fairy Land to get power ups until she has enough power to get home. Unfortunately, each power up comes with a physical change.
    The book is beautifully drawn. This is the first time I've seen Matias Basla's work and I really enjoyed the experience.
    edited December 2018
    The Green Lantern #2
    Evil Star! Nuff said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGtl8f6BnvU
    WAR TED KNIGHT!
  • mwhitt80 said:

Then Willie Lumpkin starts dropping packages off at May's house.

Wink Wink Nudge Nudge.
    aquatroy said:

The Green Lantern #2
    Evil Star! Nuff said.

WAR TED KNIGHT!

Ha! Not only that, but the green lantern with a volcano for a head. Loved it. Great run so far.
  • BryanBryan Posts: 207
    Batman Annual #3 is pretty great.
  • Read Shazam #1 and enjoyed it, though the main story was way too short. So far, I still love Ordway's Power of Shazam better though. Wish they would come out with an omnibus of that run, which I thought was great. Along with that, I wish DC would come out with an All Star Squadron run in collected form....now that would be something else. I loved that series when I was a kid.
  • Not because of the film, but I happened to read the trade of Aquaman Sub-Diego by Will Pfeiffer and Patrick Gleason and thought it is far and away the best Aquaman tale I've ever read (not that I've read a lot). The premise is disturbing in the extreme (probably too disturbing for a superhero comic to handle properly, but Pfeiffer handles it as well as I think anyone could. Gleason fans should also find the art glorious here.

Also reading Gillen's Star Wars and Soule's Vader and I couldn't agree more with @wildpigcomics assessment: the books have not missed a step at all with the change in respective writers. The "voices" of the characters remain spot-on and these are probably the best SW comics I've ever read (and I've read a lot), especially the main title.
  • Not because of the film, but I happened to read the trade of Aquaman Sub-Diego by Will Pfeiffer and Patrick Gleason and thought it is far and away the best Aquaman tale I've ever read (not that I've read a lot). The premise is disturbing in the extreme (probably too disturbing for a superhero comic to handle properly, but Pfeiffer handles it as well as I think anyone could. Gleason fans should also find the art glorious here.

It's a pretty good story with some interesting supporting characters. It's not my favorite Aquaman story, but it's probably in my top ten. It followed a low point in the character's history (from my point of view) and was a nice course correction. It's fairly early in Gleason’s career, so the artwork does have a few raw edges to it in places, but it worked for me overall. I second the recommendation.
  • @nweathington, do you have any Aquaman story recommendations, especially with Aparo art that I might be able to obtain relatively inexpensively like the price of a trade? I've always liked the character (I read all of the Johns' run), but don't know which stories are the best. I have reserved Aquaman 75 from my library.
  • @nweathington, do you have any Aquaman story recommendations, especially with Aparo art that I might be able to obtain relatively inexpensively like the price of a trade? I've always liked the character (I read all of the Johns' run), but don't know which stories are the best. I have reserved Aquaman 75 from my library.

As much as I love Aquaman, if I'm being honest, there really aren’t that many truly great Aquaman stories. The Steve Skeates/Jim Aparo run is pretty good all the way through, and it's only 17 issues long. Their first story, “The Search for Mera”, was collected recently. That story went through nine issues (#40-48), which was pretty unusual for the time. It was a bi-monthly book, so the story effectively lasted a year and a half. It’s Aparo’s first work for DC, and this story is also interesting in that Aparo starts off drawing more in Cardy’s style (who he was taking over from, and who was still drawing the covers) than his own. He gradually starts working more towards his own style, and not until the last issue or two does he finally get there. It’s not really something you see artists do any more.

You do have to keep in mind that this was written in the late ’60s, and Skeates was a pretty wordy writer, but I think it's some of the best comics of its time.

I really liked the 13-issue 1991 Aquaman series by Shaun McLaughlin and (mostly) Ken Hooper. It’s never been collected, and probably never will be, but you can probably find the back issues fairly cheap. It doesn’t get a lot of attention, but I think it was one of DC’s better books during the time it was coming out.

Sub-Diego actually sticks around for a while, long after Pfeiffer left the book, and I like what John Arcudi did with it. Pretty sure all of that was traded. And though a lot of people complained about it because it “wasn't really Aquaman”, I'm a big fan of the Kurt Busiek/Butch Guice soft relaunch of that same series (renaming it Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis, but continuing the numbering). Busiek made it more a fantasy book than a superhero book, but it worked for me. And I really liked what Tad Williams and Shawn McManus did when they took over from Busiek and Guice. I think only the first arc is available in trade though.
    Fantastic Four #5
    Not worth the cover price. That goes without saying. $8?!!??. Really?

The story didn't need to end with "shenanigans". However, there are some fun moments. The Allreds did a brilliant job (as always), and Adam Hughes did some clever things. Btw, AH! draws a great Ben Grimm.
    Man-Eaters continues to be fascinating. I recommend.

Green Arrow 46: I don't regularly read GA but picked up a few issues recently. I've found the Citizen storyline to be quite interesting.
  • @nweathington, thanks! I will definitely look for the 1991 series (I like the art I googled) and have already reserved the trade that follows sub-Diego at my library. I googled Aparo's art from issue 41 - wow, I barely recognize it as his work. I'm glad he changed to what he became.

Not because of the film, but I happened to read the trade of Aquaman Sub-Diego by Will Pfeiffer and Patrick Gleason and thought it is far and away the best Aquaman tale I've ever read (not that I've read a lot). The premise is disturbing in the extreme (probably too disturbing for a superhero comic to handle properly, but Pfeiffer handles it as well as I think anyone could. Gleason fans should also find the art glorious here.

It's a pretty good story with some interesting supporting characters. It's not my favorite Aquaman story, but it's probably in my top ten.
    Mr. @nweathington is a firm believer in topo and the Aquaman salvation squad. Anything beyond that is subpar.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,738
    mwhitt80 said:

Not because of the film, but I happened to read the trade of Aquaman Sub-Diego by Will Pfeiffer and Patrick Gleason and thought it is far and away the best Aquaman tale I've ever read (not that I've read a lot). The premise is disturbing in the extreme (probably too disturbing for a superhero comic to handle properly, but Pfeiffer handles it as well as I think anyone could. Gleason fans should also find the art glorious here.

It's a pretty good story with some interesting supporting characters. It's not my favorite Aquaman story, but it's probably in my top ten.
    Mr. @nweathington is a firm believer in topo and the Aquaman salvation squad. Anything beyond that is subpar.
    You can keep your Legion of Super-Pets, Topo is my boy!
    Avengers #12 - So many of my favourite characters show up in this issue, it's great. The cover with Zabu, Ka-Zar, Odin, Janet Van Dyne, Gorilla Man and Okoye only scratches the surface of The Agents of Wakanda. And we get the new Avenger everyone was expecting.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1 - Tom Taylor is one of the best superhero writers you aren't reading. This finds a way to distinguish it from Spencer's scattershot approach on Amazing by focusing in on Peter dealing with problems in his immediate neighbourhood. Juann Cabal reunites with Taylor from All New Wolverine, so plenty of clear action and acting here too.
    Moonshine "Misery Train" Vol. 2
    Just a very good book.

Batman "Cold Days" Vol. 8
    I liked the juxtapositions throughout the book. Bruce/Batman. Bruce/Dick. Batman/Nightwing. Really good dialogue. I loves me some Lee Weeks. Not a fan of Tony Daniel.
    The book also has one of my biblical pet peeves. I don't believe that the Book of Job is taught correctly. So, King's references to the book kind of annoyed me, but that's for another time and place.
    edited January 2019
    Finally finished the Eric Larson Omnibus and I really enjoyed it. Eric was a really good successor to Todd. Todd and Eric both had the same problems when they were the sole creators on Spiderman: the art was very nice but it could be really confusing (Rob and Jim Lee suffered the same problem also). It takes time to learn storytelling and I think Eric an todd became really good creators aat image. Jim draws prettier pictures.

It's not a must have, but Overall I liked the Omnibus and wasn't disappointed. If you like Eric Larson and have not read his early work get the early Savage dragon collections then if you want to go back further get this.
    Next up: Earth X Trilogy Alpha Omnibus
    edited January 2019
    Immortal hulk 1&2
    It's pretty fun to have a new take. Greg Pak is in the top 3 incredible hulk writers, and I am sure he will be back writing the main hulk book sooner than later, but I have enjoyed others take on the character during his small breaks.
    I thought Aaron's Dr. Moreau/monster squad hulk was okay, and Mark waids hulk was decent, but I think I am going to really like the Immortal hulk.
    Coates & Kubert's Captain America #7 starts the new Captain Of Nothing arc, which continues Coates fantastic use of continuity as the final page puts a long standing Marvel character back in the role she should be in - kicking Hydra's ass.