Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited March 2016
    Anthony Breznican of Entertainment Weekly has seen Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and he has revealed that Aquaman, The Flash, and Cyborg will each make cameos in the movie. His snippet review goes something like this:
    1. If you loved Man of Steel, you'll love BvS
    2. If you didn't like Man of Steel's ending, BvS may redeem that
    3. For those that didn't like Man of Steel and its darkness? Probably not for you.

As for Wonder Woman, all he said initially is that she's "fearsome." He also noted that Batman and Superman have "a moment" that will "make even the most cynical tear-up a little.
    Since I was in category #3, I still don't have a lot of hope for this movie, but I certainly plant to give it a try.

https://youtu.be/quvwyashDb0
  • Options
    Now we learn more about that cameo by Ezra Miller's version of The Flash in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. According to Zack Snyder, Flash appears to Batman in a dream sequence to deliver a cryptic message. Snyder is calling the cameo a "giant Easter egg," and says that fans will have to determine for themselves whether it is truly a dream, or a transcendent appearance by the actual Flash.
    “We had such a straightforward narrative, on one hand,” Snyder told Entertainment Weekly. “I wanted this other layer of the movie to be complicated and bizarre.”
    I kind of think Mr. Snyder needs to say as little as possible about details of this film, but he has to get out and promote it, so... we'll see how this plays out.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I will say that I really enjoy the Batman voice. There, I said something positive. I knew I could do it if I tried really hard.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I'm excited for this batman. I'm liking most everything I've seen so far in regards to him. his portrayal and look etc. the only thing I haven't liked have been a couple of Afflecks facial expressions as Bruce Wayne. Like the scene of him reading the paper where he's apparently supposed to be pissed, but he looks like he's about to break character and start laughing.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I'm a member of the Box Office forums. A few weeks ago another member of the forums got an early screening of the film. He does studio work(saw Ant-Man three weeks before release). He gave a review of the film. He's not really into comic books so wasn't familiar with a lot but did enjoy film gave it a B+
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

So WB announced today that there will be an R-rated cut available on Blu-Ray.

First, c'mon guys, I mean I know deadpool was a thing but seriously, you're already hopping on that bandwagon?

Second, does it bother anyone else that there was even the capability to cut an R-rated version? Makes me think they really don't understand the properties they are handling. Suicide Squad, sure, but an R-rated Superman movie?!?

I highl doubt this is a response to deadpool. The movies been done. What it means is they screaned a version with the MPAA that was given an R rating, but was most likely never going to be the real cut of the movie.

If you read Snyder's comments he makes it pretty clear that the R was due to some violence they cut. Sometimes this can be very simple. Attack of the Clones was given a higher rating in some countries because of the headbutt ObiWan gives to Fett while they're fighting. Not exactly horrendous. There ain't going to be F bombs dropped and their ain't gonna be heads ripped off.
  • Options
    I suspect the announcement was indeed due to the success of Deadpool since this Batman v Superman R-rated version was announced the week after Deadpool opened to box-office success. What other reason to announce it before the movie even opens? Many films have to remove some on screen violence in order to get a PG-13 rating, but those films that seek a PG-13 rating rarely, if ever, release the R-rated version later. It is VERY likely that this was timed to appeal to those that want R-rated super hero / comic book movies that had just made Deadpool a success.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    edited March 2016

I suspect the announcement was indeed due to the success of Deadpool since this Batman v Superman R-rated version was announced the week after Deadpool opened to box-office success. What other reason to announce it before the movie even opens? Many films have to remove some on screen violence in order to get a PG-13 rating, but those films that seek a PG-13 rating rarely, if ever, release the R-rated version later. It is VERY likely that this was timed to appeal to those that want R-rated super hero / comic book movies that had just made Deadpool a success.

I agree. That a cut got an R made news, sure, and I agree with @Planeis that can happen in a lot of cases. But the fact that, just after Deadpool makes a splash, WB lets people know not only that there is a cut of BvS that got an R, but also it is one you are going to be able to buy later as a video release. The timing of that did not feel coincidental. That is not an inside baseball story about an ongoing MPAA process, that is WB trying to tease something they are going to sell us later. (And I give them credit, at least from the make a sale point of view, that they teased that in the same week that people were buzzing about the success of an R-rated 'superhero' movie.)
  • Options
    The early reviews are not looking too promising for this latest DC epic...
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited March 2016
    I tend to follow IGN.com for movie reviews and they gave it a 6.8/10.

According to them Batman carries the movie but it isn't "fun."
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited March 2016
    The Minneapolis Star Tribune had some kind words:
    The respected Christopher Nolan is one of the producers, but this film is to his “Dark Knight” trilogy what a black velvet Elvis is to the Mona Lisa. This dour, dead-on-arrival film throws the feel-good glory days of American comic books on a funeral pyre.

It is largely a follow-up to director Zack Snyder’s 2013 smashfest “Man of Steel,” and you need a will of steel and a strong stomach to sit through it.
    Ouch...
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Ouch...

Yeah... sigh. We could do that all day.

It isn't doing so well with the critics. It has a current score of 38% on Rotten Tomatoes. But the comicbook enthusiasts and fan boys are cheering it like it's the best comic book movie ever made. I guess everyone's mileage varies, depending on what your tastes are.

Definitely a home video viewing for me.

Instead, we're going to see Episode VII again this week - this time in IMAX 3-D

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178

Mr_Cosmic said:

Ouch...

Yeah... sigh. We could do that all day.

It isn't doing so well with the critics. It has a current score of 38% on Rotten Tomatoes. But the comicbook enthusiasts and fan boys are cheering it like it's the best comic book movie ever made. I guess everyone's mileage varies, depending on what your tastes are.

Definitely a home video viewing for me.

Instead, we're going to see Episode VII again this week - this time in IMAX 3-D

@bralinator
    The best part of that review you linked to is that after giving incredible praise of the movie to include the action, plot, peformances of 3 actors that may redefine the characters, and even the score, the reviewer only gave the movie a 7.8 out of 10.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Let's remember that a version of Batman exists where he would rather blow himself up than hurt some ducks. pic.twitter.com/YkcpmSDrrm

— Aram Zucker-Scharff (@Chronotope) March 23, 2016

The best part of that review you linked to is that after giving incredible praise of the movie to include the action, plot, peformances of 3 actors that may redefine the characters, and even the score, the reviewer only gave the movie a 7.8 out of 10.

Weird, huh? I think the common denominator in the detractors is that it's "just not much fun." Snyder is an accomplished draftsman, but I still don't think he 'gets' these heroes or what makes them so beloved.

The film is tracking at around 33% on Rotten Tomatoes at the time of this post after 120 reviews. Far better than Batman & Robin (11%), and Superman III (26%) & IV (12%) ended up. But, unless it picks up a bunch of positive reviews this weekend (which it might), it could wind up tracking worse than Batman Forever (41%). I expect another 125-150 reviews to get counted by this time next week. So that ranking likely won't stick. I expect this will eventually wind up edging out Affleck's last hero in tights flick, Daredevil (44%). It certainly should. If nothing else, it should stay above Green Lantern (26%) and Fantastic Four 2015 (9%).

The sad part is, this could've been great and it apparently it isn't, at least in the minds of most movie critics who've seen it.

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited March 2016
    Bought our tickets online last night for a Sunday afternoon showing. We were the only people to do so thus far. :-(
  • Options
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited March 2016
    So it sounds like to me that this will have a big opening weekend, then probably a huge drop off second weekend if word of mouth and social media buries the movie and then the failure to meet expectations talk starts.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm keeping it simple - some people I know who:

A) Have been reading comics as long as I have or longer
    B) Understand the characters
    C) Hated Man of Steel (two of them, anyhow)

got early passes to see it. Both loved it. Direct quote from one of the MoS haters: "Now THAT is how you do Superman!"

I'll take that over an aggregator website that's forced to give a review by Janet Maslin of the New York Times the same weight as Ernie Dinklefwat of the Duluth Picayune.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Torchsong said:

I'm keeping it simple - some people I know who:

A) Have been reading comics as long as I have or longer
    B) Understand the characters
    C) Hated Man of Steel (two of them, anyhow)

got early passes to see it. Both loved it. Direct quote from one of the MoS haters: "Now THAT is how you do Superman!"

I'll take that over an aggregator website that's forced to give a review by Janet Maslin of the New York Times the same weight as Ernie Dinklefwat of the Duluth Picayune.

I think that's a pretty healthy approach. I'm looking at it from the perspective that I like to see Superman punch things. I like to see Batman punch things. I like to see Superman and Batman punch things.

I'm confident that that is going to happen. I've yet to see what I would consider to be a perfect comic book movie (Captain America: First Avenger was the closest) - all of them have had some elements that were off from my idealized version of the character/universe. This one will too.

Others will focus on what is wrong and revel in its failures - but then that's the new American Way.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Others will focus on what is wrong and revel in its failures - but then that's the new American Way.

I'm pretty sure the 9% Rotten Tomatoes score for Fant4stic wasn't merely just calculated by the reviewers "focusing on what was wrong and reveling in that movie's failures" necessarily. It just wasn't very good. I expect that any movie with serious plot holes and a "fun-deficit" will cause viewers to notice.

There are certainly some disappointed critics who are fans of comic book movies that are just calling it like they see it. I don't think DC Defenders or Zack Snyder apologists are doing any more good than those that hate all things DC are. It doesn't help the discussion. Everyone has their own opinion and is encouraged to patronize the film and give their own assessment of it.

Everyone's mileage will certainly vary. Enjoy the movie!
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    I don't have high hopes for Superman vs. Batman. I'm definitely not going to shell out hard earned cash to catch it in the theatre. I'll wait until I can watch it in the comfort of my own home. My 8 year old self would probably not believe that there would be a live action movie that has BOTH Batman and Superman, and I have little interest in watching it, but I guess it is now 2016 and we are spoiled.

I will, however, easily hand over money for the Batman movie that I know we all want.
    Ben Affleck is not Batman... Will Arnett IS Batman!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBJyp2LFHgk
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

hauberk said:

I'm pretty sure the 9% Rotten Tomatoes score for Fant4stic wasn't merely just calculated by the reviewers "focusing on what was wrong and reveling in that movie's failures" necessarily. It just wasn't very good. I expect that any movie with serious plot holes and a "fun-deficit" will cause viewers to notice.

There are certainly some disappointed critics who are fans of comic book movies that are just calling it like they see it. I don't think DC Defenders or Zack Snyder apologists are doing any more good than those that hate all things DC are. It doesn't help the discussion. Everyone has their own opinion and is encouraged to patronize the film and give their own assessment of it.

Everyone's mileage will certainly vary. Enjoy the movie!
    Maybe so. I've never been one to put much stock in what other people, especially movie critics had to say about movies.

Unlike Superman and Batman punching stuff. Fantastic Four was not a movie that I was going to be interested in regardless of how true it was to the source material. In all honesty, for me, the greater diversion probably would have a direct relationship to my enjoyment. I don't know though - I still haven't seen it.

I've observed, time and again, that my tastes are my own. Even picking from the nominees for the Best Of us generally a matter of settling for me. Sure I dig it when something that I like ends up getting some accolades, but I'm happier still when something I like actually gets to stick around for an extended period of time.

Ultimately, I don't need critics to tell me whether or not something is enjoyable and I definitely don't need their validation for my own dislike or apathy toward something.

Again though, I think that's part of the New American Way... right up there with mega-dittoes and all that crap.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    From what I'm seeing Affleck is the best thing about the film.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I've just seen it here in the UK. No spoilers...

I really enjoyed it, Affleck was good, but Gadot stole the show for me. Wonder Woman was awesome.

Redeemed the ott ending of mos. Grew the universe. Got excited for the Wonder Woman movie.
  • Options
    As usual, we are going to have an all spoilers thread here, separate from the speculation/news/trailer discussion thread that led up to release.

I saw it tonight. But. . . I think I will let someone else start, to maybe begin in a more positive direction.

Have at it!
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Well I'll start positive...

Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman stole the show. Any sceen she was in I got goose bumps. The fight sceen with Doomsday and the coming together of the trinity was great. Teases to her past and her solo movie were a nice bonus too.

Ben Afleck made a great batman, no Bale (yet), but loved the gritty, older Batman. All the shout out to his past crime fighting makes me want a solo movie. Death in the Family would be cool.

Cavil was as you were, no better, no worse then MoS. superman isn't really my thing but he plays him to a t.

I wasn't a big fan of Lex tho. He seemed to be played more as the crazy, rather then the intelligent, calculated and caniving Lex that I expected. Not the Lex I was expecting, but made a pretty good villain none the less.

Really enjoyed the little teases of the rest of the JL, the flash was it a dream or did he really come back in time to warm Batman was cool and got me thinking of the future for this franchise.

Doomsday didn't do it for me really.

All in all 7.5 from me.
  • Options
    I thought it was great. The critics that are criticizing the plot, I just don't get.

I had to tell my friends that I saw it with that that was The Flash. I think it was half dream and half vision caused by The Flash.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm with Luke...it got about a 7.5 from me.

Gadot *was* Wonder Woman and I can't wait for her film.

Affleck's version of Batman/Bruce Wayne usurped Bale and has now secured the #2 spot for best version of Batman. (West is and will always be #1).

Cavill's Superman is learning. I really think that was a strong reason they called it Man of Steel...he wasn't really Superman at that point. By the end of this one...he's Superman.

Eisenberg was a great villain, but that wasn't Lex Luthor. That was Arcade from the X-Men, and the X-franchise really blew it by not getting ahold of him first.

Critics don't know sh*t. :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I'm with Luke...it got about a 7.5 from me.

Gadot *was* Wonder Woman and I can't wait for her film.

Affleck's version of Batman/Bruce Wayne usurped Bale and has now secured the #2 spot for best version of Batman. (West is and will always be #1).

Cavill's Superman is learning. I really think that was a strong reason they called it Man of Steel...he wasn't really Superman at that point. By the end of this one...he's Superman.

Eisenberg was a great villain, but that wasn't Lex Luthor. That was Arcade from the X-Men, and the X-franchise really blew it by not getting ahold of him first.

Critics don't know sh*t. :)

I wish they showed me the one they showed you ;)