Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Music Thread

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    That's awesome, but skip the Raffi and Veggie Tales and go to Yo, Gabba Gabba. They've had The Roots, The Ting Tings, MGMT, The Aquabats, and even Weezer on the show. And They Might Be Giants have done a lot of music for younger kids that's worth checking out. I think they even have a dedicated YouTube channel for it.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    edited October 2014

random73 said:

mwhitt80 said:

I don't know why we haven't listened to the Supremes. She enjoys early R&B, and equally important I really love Motown.

ooh! if you come across an album called Elf from maybe 1968. It is some early Ronnie James Dio. real excellent piano driven blues stuff.
    Elf is from ’72, their first of three albums. I prefer Rainbow, which is basically the band Elf plus Ritchie Blackmore, but Elf’s okay.

What I want to know is how did we get from Ronnie Spector to Ronnie Dio?
    Thank you for that correction. I knew it was late 60's early 70's. and we got to Ronnie James becasue i love me some Dio. I'm not for a second gonna tell you Rainbow is bad but I love First Avenue beyond all objective reason. The first 3 or 4 tracks on that album just make me happy.

I will also blashpheme and say I prefer Dio Sabbath or Ozzy Sabbath any day of the week.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Give her some Primus! :)
  • Options

That's awesome, but skip the Raffi and Veggie Tales and go to Yo, Gabba Gabba. They've had The Roots, The Ting Tings, MGMT, The Aquabats, and even Weezer on the show. And They Might Be Giants have done a lot of music for younger kids that's worth checking out. I think they even have a dedicated YouTube channel for it.

TMBG is a win at any age.
  • Options
    random73 said:

random73 said:

mwhitt80 said:

I don't know why we haven't listened to the Supremes. She enjoys early R&B, and equally important I really love Motown.

ooh! if you come across an album called Elf from maybe 1968. It is some early Ronnie James Dio. real excellent piano driven blues stuff.
    Elf is from ’72, their first of three albums. I prefer Rainbow, which is basically the band Elf plus Ritchie Blackmore, but Elf’s okay.

Thank you for that correction. I knew it was late 80's early 70's. and we got to Ronnie James becasue i love me some Dio. I'm not for a second gonna tell you Rainbow is bad but I love First Avenue beyond all objective reason. The first 3 or 4 tracks on that album just make me happy.

I will also blashpheme and say I prefer Dio Sabbath or Ozzy Sabbath any day of the week.
    I was just yanking your chain. My kids always laugh when I do my Dio impression, so I'm with you as far as that goes. But while RJ was a much better singer than Ozzy, Sabbath wrote better songs during Ozzy’s tenure.
    Torchsong said:

Why not just go all out and say Mr. Bungle?
  • Options

random73 said:

random73 said:

mwhitt80 said:

Thank you for that correction. I knew it was late 80's early 70's. and we got to Ronnie James becasue i love me some Dio. I'm not for a second gonna tell you Rainbow is bad but I love First Avenue beyond all objective reason. The first 3 or 4 tracks on that album just make me happy.

I was just yanking your chain. My kids always laugh when I do my Dio impression, so I'm with you as far as that goes. But while RJ was a much better singer than Ozzy, Sabbath wrote better songs during Ozzy’s tenure.
    Torchsong said:

Why not just go all out and say Mr. Bungle?
    I am totally okay with that Sabbath analysis.

as for Primus. you do not simply pick up a bass and make that kind of sound without knowing some music theory. I even enjoyed they're new(er) album Green Naugahyde. particularly Eternal Consumption Engine.
  • Options
    random73 said:

as for Primus. you do not simply pick up a bass and make that kind of sound without knowing some music theory. I even enjoyed they're new(er) album Green Naugahyde. particularly Eternal Consumption Engine.

I read an article in Bass Guitar magazine back in the early ’90s detailing his customized basses and how he gets his sound. There was some creative engineering going on there. I kind of got burnt out on them though.
  • Options

random73 said:

I read an article in Bass Guitar magazine back in the early ’90s detailing his customized basses and how he gets his sound. There was some creative engineering going on there. I kind of got burnt out on them though.
    all things in moderation
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I've been listen to;

Tom Waits/Kronos Quartet; Healing the Divide: A Concert for Peace and Reconciliation
    There's only 4 or 5 songs, but they are all brilliant!

Kris Kristopherson; Austin Sessions.
    Again, brilliant!

Sugar; Copper Blue

Pogues; The Best of the Pogues.

and I've just learned about this group called Cage the Elephant.
    I've been load up Grooveshark with thier music.
  • Options
    Ha! I'm listening to Best of the Pogues right now.

Yeah, I’ve heard some songs from Cage the Elephant, and they’re pretty good. Kind of a mellower Black Keys with a little bit of The Strokes mixed in, and perhaps a bit of later Replacements. They're not quite as distinctive as I might like—they tend to blend in with several other bands I hear these days—and I probably wouldn't go out of my way to listen to them, but I won't change the channel on them either.
  • Options
    @nweathington what was the title of your book, again?
  • Options

They're so good, I want to stop brushing my teeth.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    random73 said:

Which one, @random73? I've done several. Here's my Amazon author's page.
    rebis said:

Ever listen to The Waterboys? Not quite in the Pogues’ league, but pretty close.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I have been very interested in listening to everything involving Jack White.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457

random73 said:

rebis said:

Ever listen to The Waterboys? Not quite in the Pogues’ league, but pretty close.
    Waterboys? "not quite in the Pogues' league"?? Blasphemy!! We Will Not Be Lovers is in my Top 5 80's songs and Fishermen's Blues is the best Irish album not made by Van Morrison.
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

random73 said:

rebis said:

Waterboys? "not quite in the Pogues' league"?? Blasphemy!! We Will Not Be Lovers is in my Top 5 80's songs and Fishermen's Blues is the best Irish album not made by Van Morrison.
    Don't get me wrong, if you put both bands’ top ten songs side by side, they're pretty evenly matched. But I think The Pogues have a stronger, more consistent catalog overall. Plus, I prefer their rawer sound to The Waterboys’ generally more polished approach.

And I know they were based in Ireland when Fisherman’s Blues was released, but aren't they originally a Scottish band?
  • Options

random73 said:

rebis said:

Yes. They had a hit back in the late 80s (?) "The Whole of the Moon". I also have a CD single of ... something. I can't remember the name of the song.
  • Options
    Neal, if you like the Waterboy's sound you might like David Crowder. David Crowder (and the David Crowder Band) have been a staple on Christian Radio for a few years. Now, don't get nervous about the Christian Radio reference. The lyrics of most of the music on CR is so amorphous that it's easy to mistake the music for secular love songs. Matter of fact, I hear the CR music used on commercials all the time.
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

random73 said:

rebis said:

Not if you're going to include Van Morrison and the Chieftains which is thoroughly awesome.
  • Options

random73 said:

rebis said:

I think more recent bands like Flogging Molly are closer to what the Pogues were about than Waterboys.
    Btw, Worst Day Since Yesterday is the greatest Country song ever.
  • Options
    rebis said:

I think more recent bands like Flogging Molly are closer to what the Pogues were about than Waterboys.

I suppose, but something about Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys and the like just don't feel as genuine to me as The Pogues and The Waterboys.
  • Options

random73 said:

rebis said:

Wow. I didn't realize. It was the Baker book referenced earlier in the thread that I was thinking about.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    random73 said:

random73 said:

Wow. I didn't realize. It was the Baker book referenced earlier in the thread that I was thinking about.
    Okay, that was Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour, which I co-edited and designed. I forgot it had been referenced.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457

shroud68 said:

random73 said:

rebis said:

Don't get me wrong, if you put both bands’ top ten songs side by side, they're pretty evenly matched. But I think The Pogues have a stronger, more consistent catalog overall. Plus, I prefer their rawer sound to The Waterboys’ generally more polished approach.

And I know they were based in Ireland when Fisherman’s Blues was released, but aren't they originally a Scottish band?
    Mike Scott is Scottish but the two albums I adore Room to Roam & Fishermen's Blues are definitely Irish music at its finest. And I prefer the polish sound so the Pogues were never my favorite though in my " wild roving days" every Irish bar on the NYC east side had a Pogues sounding band so I think most people are in your camp.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited October 2014
    Been listening to the new Prince albums; I'm enjoying them.

I must also note Prince is not for baby girls; I've heard it is for making baby girls.

edit: My daughter would probably like Prince music. He kind of sounds like a girl, and the guitars sound like something she would enjoy listening too. However like all good fathers I must let her discover some music on her own, when she is in college, and not sit in a car while she sings along to those lyrics.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    @Torchsong‌
    I didn't know you were writing concert reviews in Dallas: Jason Aldean/Georgia Florida review

Somehow I missed this on the interwebs, but it is awesome and sums up my feelings on these 2 acts. You remember office space "Why should I change my name? He's the one that sucks"; that's how I feel about Aldean and GAFLine claiming Georgia as home. They need to stop.
    Around the time Hubbard went shirtless and slammed a beer with Florida I started googling "job opportunities + Presby Hospital."
  • Options
    In more positive news if you want good new country I would recommend Strugill Simpson's Metamodern Sounds in Country Music (it's a little heavy on the songs about doing drugs, but we are all Waylon and Willie fans here, right) and Lydia Loveless's Somewhere Else.

been on my playlist since May.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I'm on a Jack White kick right now. Listening to everything he's done from solo stuff, to White Stripes, to Dead Weather and The Raconteurs.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

@Torchsong‌
    I didn't know you were writing concert reviews in Dallas: Jason Aldean/Georgia Florida review

Somehow I missed this on the interwebs, but it is awesome and sums up my feelings on these 2 acts. You remember office space "Why should I change my name? He's the one that sucks"; that's how I feel about Aldean and GAFLine claiming Georgia as home. They need to stop.

Around the time Hubbard went shirtless and slammed a beer with Florida I started googling "job opportunities + Presby Hospital."
    I have very few actual heroes in my life. This man just became one of them. Hilarious!
  • Options
    Thought I remembered a few Steve Taylor fans out there http://youtu.be/HPmXyviEfec