Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The 2014 NFL Thread!

I heard that Private Manning who leaked all those secrets decided to take on a woman's name...

...PEYTON!!!

Hur hur hur!!! *BURP!*

/GEAUX SAINTS!!!

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Torchsong said:

I heard that Private Manning who leaked all those secrets decided to take on a woman's name...

...PEYTON!!!

Hur hur hur!!! *BURP!*

/GEAUX SAINTS!!!

Wait, don't you mean Elisha?!

M
  • Options
    @Torchsong, we both got dislikes for Manning jokes. I didn't really Archie was a forum member!!

M
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited August 2013
    Von Miller gets 6 games for Tree? Considering the changing opinion that most American's have on pot, that seems a bit harsh. I wonder if the suspension is a message to other players about screwing around with their samples, or if another "recreational" drug was involved?

Still, it's a stupid move by a great talent and a player that the Broncos are counting on.
  • Options
    rebis said:

Von Miller gets 6 games for Tree? Considering the changing opinion that most American's have on pot, that seems a bit harsh. I wonder if the suspension is a message to other players about screwing around with their samples, or if another "recreational" drug was involved?

Still, it's a stupid move by a great talent and a player that the Broncos are counting on.

First, I'm one of those people who haven't altered my feelings on pot.

Secondly, I believe Von Miller got suspended for atteral.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

rebis said:

M
    That would make two of us. Unfortunately, we seem to be on the losing side of that argument. Considering your line of work, you probably have a different experience with pot.

Adderall could be a part of the suspension. There was mention of an un-named amphetamine.
  • Options
    rebis said:

Matt said:

rebis said:

M
    That would make two of us. Unfortunately, we seem to be on the losing side of that argument. Considering your line of work, you probably have a different experience with pot.

Adderall could be a part of the suspension. There was mention of an un-named amphetamine.
    Yeah, I just had to hand out C&D'S for counterfeit items recently at the shore. The pot culture is all over the boardwalk; from shirts promoting it to iPhone looking digital scales to the instruments to smoke it. It sickens me.

M
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    The NFL cannot release what banned substance a player was suspended for (per the CBA). "Adderall" is one of the most commonly claimed substances. You will see weed alot too (for the knuckleheads), but you will never see a player leak he was tested positive for steriods/hgh. "Adderall" is the "B12 Shots" of baseball.

I could care less if a player uses PEDs in baseball, golf, basketball or tennis, but players need to be banned for life if they caught doing it in football, MMA, or boxing.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

The NFL cannot release what banned substance a player was suspended for (per the CBA). "Adderall" is one of the most commonly claimed substances. You will see weed alot too (for the knuckleheads), but you will never see a player leak he was tested positive for steriods/hgh. "Adderall" is the "B12 Shots" of baseball.

I could care less if a player uses PEDs in baseball, golf, basketball or tennis, but players need to be banned for life if they caught doing it in football, MMA, or boxing.

I don't want it in baseball. I think if Pete Rose is banned people like A-Rod should not be permitted anywhere near a ballpark.

M
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Matt said:

I don't want it in baseball. I think if Pete Rose is banned people like A-Rod should not be permitted anywhere near a ballpark.

M

I understand and respect that opinion. I would like everyone to be off steroids because it has long term health issues and it is illegal (I've not really got an opinion on HGH right now). However if a baseball player is on PEDs he isn't endangering anyone other than himself. So it doesn't bother me that Bonds or Clemens used.

My comment has more to do with the how much more dangerous PED use is in contact sports. Records aren't the only thing being broken in football. If a guy lined up across from you is bigger, faster, stronger because of PEDs then you are in more danger of being seriously injured (in the short and long term).
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Matt said:

M

I understand and respect that opinion. I would like everyone to be off steroids because it has long term health issues and it is illegal (I've not really got an opinion on HGH right now). However if a baseball player is on PEDs he isn't endangering anyone other than himself. So it doesn't bother me that Bonds or Clemens used.

My comment has more to do with the how much more dangerous PED use is in contact sports. Records aren't the only thing being broken in football. If a guy lined up across from you is bigger, faster, stronger because of PEDs then you are in more danger of being seriously injured (in the short and long term).
    Baseball isn't designed to be contact, but I've seen players collide to catch a ball, get at a base, bench clearing fights, and hitters plunked by a ball pitched to them. Red Sox Ellsbury missed almost 2 season due to collisions with other players. Not saying the other players were juicing, but they had bigger mass.

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited August 2013
    Matt said:

mwhitt80 said:

Matt said:

M

Baseball isn't designed to be contact, but I've seen players collide to catch a ball, get at a base, bench clearing fights, and hitters plunked by a ball pitched to them. Red Sox Ellsbury missed almost 2 season due to collisions with other players. Not saying the other players were juicing, but they had bigger mass.

M
    Joe Mauer just went out on the 7 day concussion DL. Baseball players, especially catchers, can take some very hard knocks.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Everyone says the Vikings will be worse this year. No way Petterson will have another fantastic year and that apond

Barry Sanders probably heard that a lot too

Peterson is a different style running back though, but he's very good even without any more offense around him.

Still I hope the Bears hold him to -12 yards in 2 games.

• Options
    For some reason, the NFL has decided to put a 50' x 20' banner of Joe Flaco's mug on Sports Authority Field, or as we still call it in Denver, "Mile High Stadium".
    NFL, you did not contribute to the building of this stadium. It was done with a combination of the owners & tax payer's monies.

TAKE YOU DRAPES OFF OF OUR HOUSE!

• Options
    Krescan said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Everyone says the Vikings will be worse this year. No way Petterson will have another fantastic year and that apond

Barry Sanders probably heard that a lot too

Peterson is a different style running back though, but he's very good even without any more offense around him.

Still I hope the Bears hold him to -12 yards in 2 games.

In the NFL you pass to score, you run to make your opponent quit. The Vikings have half of the equation.
  • Options
    @rebis

wow, that is terrible.

Atlanta is in the process of trying to get a new stadium (owner and tax payer funds). I'll bet a million dollars the city never sees a dime of the naming rights money. Using public funds to build a new stadium is a ridiculous scam on the taxpayers money. I'm glad I don't live there.
  • Options
    @rebis
    ESPN posted an article about the Flacco Banner
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Super Bowl predictions?

I'm hoping for a San Francisco San Diego match-up, but the way San Diego is playing today, that doesn't seem likely.
    In any event, go Niners.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited January 2014
    I could watch these all day long. :D

:((
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Seattle vs Denver is what I'm hoping for.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    edited January 2014
    Usually I'll root for the team that beat us, but I just can't bring myself to like Pete Carroll. Rest of the Seahawks? No problem. Just not a fan of Carroll. Harbaugh either.

That leaves me rooting for the AFC team - thank God the Broncos got in, because lord help me id've had to root for Brady and Belichick (and I may yet have to!!!). There ain't enough soap in the world to wash of the dirty feeling I'd have after that! :)

Saints had a good year, and shut a lot of people up with the Philly road win in the cold. I'm happy with this season...could've been happier, of course, but happy nonetheless.
  • Options
    Usually I'll root for the team that beat us, but I just can't bring myself to like Pete Carroll. Rest of the Seahawks? No problem. Just not a fan of Carroll. Harbaugh either.

That leaves me rooting for the AFC team - thank God the Broncos got in, because lord help me id've had to root for Brady and Belichick (and I may yet have to!!!). There ain't enough soap in the world to wash of the dirty feeling I'd have after that! :)

Saints had a good year, and shut a lot of people up with the Philly road win in the cold. I'm happy with this season...could've been happier, of course, but happy nonetheless.
    It's not dirty to root for the Pats. It just feels...right. They're the underdogs the rest of the way.

I'm betting it'll be Broncos & Seahawks. Despite having a Patriots-type offensive, the Broncos will win the Super Bowl. He's having the best year of his career, a win the next two rounds can cement his legacy (perhaps ranking him better then Brady), & Archie hasn't helped Peyton yet. He already helped Elisha.

M
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Being a Bay Area native, I'm a Niners fan all the way.

Seattle is receiving a lot flack here in California, on account of they banned playoff ticket sales to people with California zip codes. Their cowardly foul play prompted me to retaliate with some fowl play of my own. I reworked their team name and logo.

• Options

Seattle is receiving a lot flack here in California, on account of they banned playoff ticket sales to people with California zip codes. Their cowardly foul play prompted me to retaliate with some fowl play of my own. I reworked their team name and logo.

The Broncos are doing a similar tactic with their tickets.

M
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Matt said:

M
    Tickets went on sale in Denver today at 10 and the Broncos tweeted at 10:13 that they were sold out. I read in an article that ticket hording seems to be the practice for many teams as an attempt to cut back on scalping. In the city limits of Denver you must sell your tickets at face value or risk a hefty fine. However, I don't think that applies to anywhere else in the metro area or other states. I don't see how this cuts back on scalping. Ticket fraud is huge and there's reports all over the news here that warn people. There's not much the cops can do without any proof, and many fans aren't going to know their ticket is fraudulent until they show up to the gate (how much worse if you're traveling from New England?). In the same article I read, it said that ticket sales were being limited to Rocky Mountain Region billing zip codes, so apparently Colorado isn't the only place to get the tickets. I'll simply enjoy the game in my climate controlled living room, on my nice comfy couch, and with my favorite people.

Ultimately it comes down to your team winning the division. Patriots should work harder on that for next year. ;;)
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Matt said:

M
    Tickets went on sale in Denver today at 10 and the Broncos tweeted at 10:13 that they were sold out. I read in an article that ticket hording seems to be the practice for many teams as an attempt to cut back on scalping. In the city limits of Denver you must sell your tickets at face value or risk a hefty fine. However, I don't think that applies to anywhere else in the metro area or other states. I don't see how this cuts back on scalping. Ticket fraud is huge and there's reports all over the news here that warn people. There's not much the cops can do without any proof, and many fans aren't going to know their ticket is fraudulent until they show up to the gate (how much worse if you're traveling from New England?). In the same article I read, it said that ticket sales were being limited to Rocky Mountain Region billing zip codes, so apparently Colorado isn't the only place to get the tickets. I'll simply enjoy the game in my climate controlled living room, on my nice comfy couch, and with my favorite people.

Ultimately it comes down to your team winning the division. Patriots should work harder on that for next year. ;;)
    For a team that's lost about 6 key starters since game 1, Brady & Belichick have taken the team pretty far. The Broncos better win...because what does that say about Peyton if they don't?!

With a lot of buzz about Manning retiring in the offseason regardless, I'm more convinced he's getting the Ray Lewis retirement treatment! ;)

M
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    He won't retire. He's going to be another Favre. He won't give it up until he takes "that" hit - the one that just floors him.

Yeah, g'head and make your Saints bounty joke here - at least we got him and Warner to stop pussyfooting around about it and LEAVE! :)
  • Options
    What the Pats have done this year is amazing. I thought the Matt Cassell year proved Bill was one of the greatest coaches ever, but this year he has done a superb job. Go Pats.

Being a Falcons fan I will not pull for the Broncos; thankfully I was spared a Broncos-Saints superbowl. I was already forced to endure a worst case scenario BCS National Championship.
  • Options
    Matt said:

fredzilla said:

Matt said:

M

For a team that's lost about 6 key starters since game 1, Brady & Belichick have taken the team pretty far. The Broncos better win...because what does that say about Peyton if they don't?!

With a lot of buzz about Manning retiring in the offseason regardless, I'm more convinced he's getting the Ray Lewis retirement treatment! ;)

M
    Torchsong is correct. Manning loves football. They'll have to pry his jersey from his cold dead hands.
  • Options
    rebis said:

Matt said:

fredzilla said:

Matt said:

M

M
    Torchsong is correct. Manning loves football. They'll have to pry his jersey from his cold dead hands.
    The article that was being reference was apparently only partially released. Manning has a mandatory neck examine at the end of the year. If he clears it (which I imagine he will), Manning will be back.

M