Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Official Thread (Spoiler Heavy)

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

There's so much more good than bad here.

It's kind of shocking that a bunch of lifelong comic book fans aren't more forgiving of the first serious attempt to do a real Marvel Universe TV series.

To be fair- it is coming from the same studio that gave us the Marvel movies, in combination with the network (and in-house production company) that gave us Lost, and it is run by the guy who did Buffy. So, while I agree that audiences should be in a forgiving mood for the first few episodes of ANY TV show while it finds its feet, I also get why people have their hopes up. It may be the first serious attempt at a Marvel TV show, but there are a lot of proven quantities involved, who are not new to what they are doing, you know what I mean?

Marvel is a name with a lot of cache right now. I want them (especially when it comes to things like casting and getting great people who might want to work for them in the movies) to throw that weight around a bit. And, at least to judge by the pilot, it still just felt like other TV.
    Good points.

But I don't think it's any worse than the average filler episode of, say, Doctor Who.

And I'm loving Doctor Who.

I think there was a tendency to build up an idea of the show as possibly being The Best Thing Ever.

And it's not.

But it's pretty good.

And It has the potential to be really damn good.

Yes, the cast is young, pretty, and unexperienced.

Young and pretty is what networks want.

Unexperienced will take care of itself with... experience.

And they're gonna get that. Fast.

The actress playing Skye will get better, look at SMG over the course of Buffy.

So will the others.

The show has a full-season commitment from the network.

And from me.

• Options
    Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

It's kind of shocking that a bunch of lifelong comic book fans aren't more forgiving of the first serious attempt to do a real Marvel Universe TV series.

What are you talking about? They did The Incredible Hulk! Hell, Thor even showed up in that one!

*runs ducking thrown objects* :)

Seriously, you expect lifelong comic book fans to be MORE forgiving? :) If anything, we're going to hold this thing under a microscope and pore over every last detail until we can no longer appreciate the tree OR the forest!
    After two, less-than-perfect episodes, this show is, for me, fifty times better than The Incredible Hulk ever was.

They're trying to do it right.

Yay!

Oh. And I freaking love Whedonesque dialogue. And Fitz/Simmons' delivery.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Torchsong said:

Whedon knows this, though. At least I hope he does...he's pretty good at stringing people along JUST enough to stop us from losing interest.

BTW: Remember, Joss Whedon isn't show-running AoS, his brother and sister-in-law are. Joss is helping as much as he can, but he's pretty busy with Age of Ultron.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    WetRats said:

Yes, the cast is young, pretty,

Hey, whatever floats your boat..who am I to judge?

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

Yes, the cast is young, pretty,

Hey, whatever floats your boat..who am I to judge?

He's two months younger than me.

And almost as pretty. B-)
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    "Cute, sexy and lick the mirror handsome!"

(bonus points for the movie, actor & character delivering the line)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited October 2013
    random73 said:

Doctor Who And The Curse Of The Fatal Death
    Richard E. Grant
    "The Doctor"

@ 3:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONVjFZdeH00

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    random73 said:

I can only assuming since it has something to do with licking that it's Miley Cyrus

:(

• Options
    Krescan said:

random73 said:

I can only assuming since it has something to do with licking that it's Miley Cyrus

:(
    Where's my goddamn Dislike button!? :-&
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    WetRats said:

Just because I'm a comic fan doesn't mean I don't also have a certain expectation that a TV show will be made with a certain degree of quality. It's not like I ignored how shlocky Wonder Woman or The Incredible Hulk were in the 70s just because I was supposed to be loyal to comic properties.

I will probably watch SHIELD for the duration. I mean, I stuck with the lousy Under the Dome just because I had invested myself in reading the 1,000 page book, and wanted to at least see what they would do on screen. But I also live in era of Mad Men/Breaking Bad/LOST/Wire/Sopranos/Dexter -- even Law and Order -- so I can't exactly give every show a free pass on writing and characterization just because the creator is one my people. The TV bar has been raised for everyone, including sci-fi and comic shows.

• Options
    RickM said:

WetRats said:

Just because I'm a comic fan doesn't mean I don't also have a certain expectation that a TV show will be made with a certain degree of quality. It's not like I ignored how shlocky Wonder Woman or The Incredible Hulk were in the 70s just because I was supposed to be loyal to comic properties.

I will probably watch SHIELD for the duration. I mean, I stuck with the lousy Under the Dome just because I had invested myself in reading the 1,000 page book, and wanted to at least see what they would do on screen. But I also live in era of Mad Men/Breaking Bad/LOST/Wire/Sopranos/Dexter -- even Law and Order -- so I can't exactly give every show a free pass on writing and characterization just because the creator is one my people. The TV bar has been raised for everyone, including sci-fi and comic shows.
    All the shows you held up as exemplars take themselves Very Seriously.

The tone of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is lighter.

And I like it that way.

Thank TDOYC the show isn't all overwrought and ashamed of its comic book origins as Smallville or The Incredible Hulk.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

random73 said:

Doctor Who And The Curse Of The Fatal Death
    Richard E. Grant
    "The Doctor"

@ 3:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONVjFZdeH00

100 Bonus Points! Fantastic!
  • Options
    In the interest of full disclosure i actually had the answer wrong in my head when i asked the question. I was thinking of Richard E. Grant as Darwin Mayflower ranting in Hudson Hawk. When Mr_Cosmic posted the right answer I remembered it was in fact from the Comic Relief special Curse of the Fatal Death. I guess, I could not post this and no one would be the wiser but i have this stupid honest streak.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Thanks @Matt

What was it that Happy said in IM3?

"That's good...that means someone has something to hide & I'm getting to them!"

M
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    Torchsong said:

Two episodes in and you need a cameo to draw in interest? Not a good sign. And make no mistake, every promo I saw for episode 2 said...nay, commanded...that I stay for the end.

Traditional comic book gimmick. Get a big name character to guest star in an early issue to overcome post launch sales drop.
  • Options
    Are you guys really struggling with Fitz and Simmon's accents THAT much?! :))
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Scioptic said:

The accent? Not so much. Lord knows I've watched enough BBC to be accoostoomed to the fookin aksint! :)

Speed of delivery of the line, however, is a whole other beast. The male talks very fast. Enough that yes...I have a difficulty in following what he's saying. If that's supposed to be the point, then I suppose I'm not getting the joke. Blur on Transformers was funny...the first couple times...

Don't get me wrong, I'm in lust with his female counterpart, but she needs to have a different facial expression than smiling all the time.

• Options
    Torchsong said:

Scioptic said:

The accent? Not so much. Lord knows I've watched enough BBC to be accoostoomed to the fookin aksint! :)

Speed of delivery of the line, however, is a whole other beast. The male talks very fast. Enough that yes...I have a difficulty in following what he's saying. If that's supposed to be the point, then I suppose I'm not getting the joke. Blur on Transformers was funny...the first couple times...

Don't get me wrong, I'm in lust with his female counterpart, but she needs to have a different facial expression than smiling all the time.

Episode 2 wasn't as much of a problem.
  • Options
    RickM said:

WetRats said:

That isn't the point. Whether the show is light (like Chuck) or dark (like LOST) or somewhere in the middle (like Alias), it needs to be done well. The criticism of the show, from a goodly percentage of the folks who have chimed in, is that it could be done better.
    We seem to be measuring against different standards.

I think it is better than any other prime-time attempt at adapting a super-hero universe.

And, while not perfectly crafted, I think it's better than 90+% of what I've seen on network television lately.

And I think it will continue to get better as the season unfolds.

And, most importantly, I think its fun. I enjoy it.

Turns out I prefer flawed fun to cold perfection.

I'm also happy to discover that, cynical and hypercritical as I have become, I'm still not too cynical and hypercritical to enjoy a genre show with its heart in the right place despite its many flaws.

The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. are welcome on my lawn, even Skye and Agent Stiffy.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

RickM said:

WetRats said:

That isn't the point. Whether the show is light (like Chuck) or dark (like LOST) or somewhere in the middle (like Alias), it needs to be done well. The criticism of the show, from a goodly percentage of the folks who have chimed in, is that it could be done better.
    We seem to be measuring against different standards.

I think it is better than any other prime-time attempt at adapting a super-hero universe.

And, while not perfectly crafted, I think it's better than 90+% of what I've seen on network television lately.

And I think it will continue to get better as the season unfolds.

And, most importantly, I think its fun. I enjoy it.

Turns out I prefer flawed fun to cold perfection.

I'm also happy to discover that, cynical and hypercritical as I have become, I'm still not too cynical and hypercritical to enjoy a genre show with its heart in the right place despite its many flaws.

The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. are welcome on my lawn, even Skye and Agent Stiffy.
    You've saved that for Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, right? :)

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Right.

Cold Perfection at its coldest.

No room on my lawn for all that grimness.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Right.

I have been curious, if Nolan's vision was cold perfection (I'd argue it wasn't cold & did have some flaws) do you prefer the Schumacher or the Burton movies?

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

Right.

I have been curious, if Nolan's vision was cold perfection (I'd argue it wasn't cold & did have some flaws) do you prefer the Schumacher or the Burton movies?

M
    Not particularly.

They're all post-Frank Miller and tainted by his vision of the character.

I thought the Batman parts of Burton's were pretty good, I liked the humor Keaton managed to find in his portrayal, though I dislike the emphasis on the villains in all of them. (A problem the Spider-Man movies tend to have as well) He tended to be a supporting character in movies about the villains.
  • Options
    Most iterations of the Animated Batman (Not counting Superfriends-era) have nailed the character for me.

Best Joker, too.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

Right.

M
    Not particularly.

They're all post-Frank Miller and tainted by his vision of the character.

I thought the Batman parts of Burton's were pretty good, I liked the humor Keaton managed to find in his portrayal, though I dislike the emphasis on the villains in all of them. (A problem the Spider-Man movies tend to have as well) He tended to be a supporting character in movies about the villains.
    So the 1966 Batman nailed it because it isn't "tainted"?

http://youtu.be/E134bWCZ6A4

Here's a reenactment of what I did at the thought of that idea:

http://youtu.be/Mbg1nEXQ1fI

M
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D nailed it in my opinion, I've got my second viewing of episode 2 planned for tonight. Now that the DVR schedule has been figured out I won't have to watch it on my phone anymore.

Also this would be a good time to have the off-topic button again.

Everything isn't about Nolan's Batman or about how you don't like the 66 Batman.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Most iterations of the Animated Batman (Not counting Superfriends-era) have nailed the character for me.

Best Joker, too.

That's normally what I hear from people who dislike the movies. It's also why I never include that as an option.

M
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Krescan said:

Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D nailed it in my opinion, I've got my second viewing of episode 2 planned for tonight. Now that the DVR schedule has been figured out I won't have to watch it on my phone anymore.

Also this would be a good time to have the off-topic button again.

Everything isn't about Nolan's Batman or about how you don't like the 66 Batman.

No, but we still have the LOL option. The initial sentence with "...are welcome on my lawn" is a running bit that enticed me to joke back. It's not an attempt to derail the whole thread or go into reruns.

M

Maybe we should add a "relax" button?!