Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Official Thread (Spoiler Heavy)

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

So the 1966 Batman nailed it because it isn't "tainted"?

No.

Just because I dislike "A" doesn't mean I therefore like "B".

• Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Most iterations of the Animated Batman (Not counting Superfriends-era) have nailed the character for me.

Best Joker, too.

That's normally what I hear from people who dislike the movies. It's also why I never include that as an option.

M
    Why is it an ineligible choice? (Sorry @Krescan)
  • Options
    Matt said:

Maybe we should add a "relax" button?!

Or "Chill". With a little Umbrella Drink icon?
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

So the 1966 Batman nailed it because it isn't "tainted"?

No.

Just because I dislike "A" doesn't mean I therefore like "B".

I know, it was a way to crowbar that vomit scene onto the forums.

I don't count the Timm/Dini stuff because aside from MotP, it wasn't on the big screen. I limit to actual movies. It I include Timm/Dini's stuff, then I'd have to add Year One, DKR, under the Hood, etc. Plus, when animated, its so easy to keep within the comic type world without having some real world logistics to worry about. So I limit it to the live-action.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

I know, it was a way to crowbar that vomit scene onto the forums.

Fair enough.
  • Options
    Having only seen the 1st episode and reading through the forums, I am confident about my reluctance to watch the show. The examples of why the show is worth watching are what turned me off during ep 1. It sounds like they're still present in ep 2, even if dialed down a little.

What other dissenters have mentioned (even after ep 2) were the same concerns as I initially had.

I wouldn't say like the show is a complete bust, but nothing I'd go out of my way watch, let alone regularly.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

I don't count the Timm/Dini stuff because aside from MotP, it wasn't on the big screen. I limit to actual movies. It I include Timm/Dini's stuff, then I'd have to add Year One, DKR, under the Hood, etc. Plus, when animated, its so easy to keep within the comic type world without having some real world logistics to worry about. So I limit it to the live-action.

OK. Gotcha.

By those parameters, I've never really seen *my* Batman as a live-action production.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

OK. Gotcha.

By those parameters, I've never really seen *my* Batman as a live-action production.
    Understood.

"Batman movie sidebar...over!"

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Having only seen the 1st episode and reading through the forums, I am confident about my reluctance to watch the show. The examples of why the show is worth watching are what turned me off during ep 1. It sounds like they're still present in ep 2, even if dialed down a little.

What other dissenters have mentioned (even after ep 2) were the same concerns as I initially had.

I wouldn't say like the show is a complete bust, but nothing I'd go out of my way watch, let alone regularly.

M

I think if one were to go back to the thread when the series was originally announced, we both pretty accurately predicted how we'd like the show.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

I think if one were to go back to the thread when the series was originally announced, we both pretty accurately predicted how we'd like the show.
    Yeah, I was hesitant once the character descriptions were announced. Once I saw the promo pictures of the cast & their looks, I became even more reluctant. By the time I watched episode 1, Skye & the Wonder-Science Twins killed any remote interest. It had potential, but in the end I feel like the "Hollywood" formula was injected too much.

M
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm in lust with his female counterpart, but she needs to have a different facial expression than smiling all the time.

But, 'tis a lovely smile, innit?

At this point, Fitz/Simmons are Willow-adorable, but I imagine they will reveal some depth and differentiation as we go along.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm hoping. I *want* this show to succeed in the same way I *want* the Saints in the Super Bowl every year...but if they have a season with poor execution, I know it ain't gonna happen...

Still keeping my fingers crossed...and tuning in.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I don't think everything has to be a dualistic, Christian Bale or Adam West, extreme. I like Keaton better as Bruce Wayne than Bale any day of the week. I like the tone of the first and second Nolan movies but thought the third was pretty terrible. I'd like some sort of non-body armoured costume. I'd like a little more of the uber competent detective. I think there are other versions of Batman that could still be excellent.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Torchsong said:

I'm hoping. I *want* this show to succeed in the same way I *want* the Saints in the Super Bowl every year...but if they have a season with poor execution, I know it ain't gonna happen...

I do not wish you luck Sunday, I will wish you no injuries though. So you don't have any excuses when the Bears beat you again in the playoffs :)

• Options
    Krescan said:

Torchsong said:

I do not wish you luck Sunday, I will wish you no injuries though. So you don't have any excuses when the Bears beat you again in the playoffs :)
    Who was just talking about the "Off-Topic" button? B-)
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    WetRats said:

Krescan said:

Torchsong said:

The difference is there isn't 40* threads where I talk about the Chicaco Bears or where I sing the praises of Lovie Smith's verson of the Bears, and disparrage anyone that thinks highly of Ditka's Bears

*40 is just a number thrown out I'm sure it's only 5** or so

** It just feels like 40

• Options
    Krescan said:

WetRats said:

Krescan said:

Torchsong said:

The difference is there isn't 40* threads where I talk about the Chicaco Bears or where I sing the praises of Lovie Smith's verson of the Bears, and disparrage anyone that thinks highly of Ditka's Bears

*40 is just a number thrown out I'm sure it's only 5** or so

** It just feels like 40

Wasn't it Stan Lee who said "every comic is someone's first comic?"

So, every thread... :)

M
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Krescan said:

We've already hid Cutler's insulin and put a $20,000 bounty on the linebacker who brings him in dead or limping. :)

/Yes, I'm Off-Topic

• Options
    Torchsong said:

Krescan said:

We've already hid Cutler's insulin and put a $20,000 bounty on the linebacker who brings him in dead or limping. :)

/Yes, I'm Off-Topic
    A thread that hasn't drifted off-topic by page 5 isn't really trying!
  • Options
    I've stopped watching this show after the second episode. It's not good nor is it anything special, but it's all right if you like it. I am genuinely curious as to why people like this show. The show fails on so many levels that I don't understand why some people like it.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Hellsfire said:

I've stopped watching this show after the second episode. It's not good nor is it anything special, but it's all right if you like it. I am genuinely curious as to why people like this show. The show fails on so many levels that I don't understand why some people like it.

There's a lot of brand loyalty for Marvel and Whedon products.

• Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    edited October 2013
    Very true. Not necessarily a bad thing. Just a good observation. Both eps had a "we got 'em" moment at the end - complete with sappy music and stares - and I can see how that is going for a character/core drama element. But I'm not in it for that. Certainly not in it to see two pretty leads start a romance either. I'm in it for whatever device that was that Ward used on the rebels; for whatever Coulson's secret is; for Marvel easter eggs; for connections to the movies. Build a character drama on your own dime, I want action. And this series could be the perfect set up for that kind of television, one that bucks the trend and ignores romance and team-building. This could have a rotating cast of characters as others die, turn heel, get kidnapped - whatever. I get that it's called Agents of SHIELD but I don't want it to be the Soap Opera of SHIELD.

Hell - even General Hospital had a freeze ray.
  • Options
    Peter said:

Very true. Not necessarily a bad thing. Just a good observation. Both eps had a "we got 'em" moment at the end - complete with sappy music and stares - and I can see how that is going for a character/core drama element. But I'm not in it for that. Certainly not in it to see two pretty leads start a romance either. I'm in it for whatever device that was that Ward used on the rebels; for whatever Coulson's secret is; for Marvel easter eggs; for connections to the movies. Build a character drama on your own dime, I want action. And this series could be the perfect set up for that kind of television, one that bucks the trend and ignores romance and team-building. This could have a rotating cast of characters as others die, turn heel, get kidnapped - whatever. I get that it's called Agents of SHIELD but I don't want it to be the Soap Opera of SHIELD.

Hell - even General Hospital had a freeze ray.

I recall talking with (THE) Kevin Moyer about this series right before it started. I told him if its a procedural type show its just a Marvel window dressing on countless other shows right now. I'd rather see an extension of the movies.

They don't necessarily need to have Cap & Thor make appearances or cameos, but tie in with upcoming movies. Maybe the device Ward stole is something Cap needs in Winter Soldier or something Tony inadvertently inserts into Ultron, thus corrupting his system.

I'd rather see B or C story arcs that tie into the next movie. Make it kind of a Marvel Movies: Frontlines type storytelling. THAT I'm onboard 100%, despite the characters that irritate me.

M
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    If they got rid of Coulson, it would definitely turn into NCIS: Marvel Universe. He's the linchpin that is keeping it connected. Using Maria Hill more would be nice. And while we're at it, let's bring in the Contessa!

Although there was a very minor point dropped in the first ep about Ward's family or his past. So any of these characters could eventually turn into an established character we already know in the comics.

As you said, The Marvel Universe is the hook. It's gotta start there.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I actually thought the mysterious guy in the pilot episode would turn out to be Luke Cage, but no dice. And of course Coulson is there, which links me to a bunch of Marvel movies, and I also hope to see more of Maria Hill, since she's a known quantity and a great character in the comics. But other than that, where's the link to the MU? I see a bunch of new people spouting clever dialogue and fighting bad guys. But I don't see them playing in the Marvel sandbox nearly enough. At least get in the lobby of the Baxter Building or fight a rogue Stark Industries scientist or something. The biggest thrill so far, for both lovers of the show and those on the fence, has been a cameo by Nick Fury. There's no reason to minimize those links; play them up, or don't slap the Marvel logo all over the show.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    I fear that there won't be much in the way of big marvel concepts used, apart from throwaway lines. Any big marvel characters/ideas/locations could be off limits to keep them "fresh" for inclusion in a future movie.
  • Options
    That first episode was great, I thought. I was also a bit disappointed it wasn't more comic book-y, but it's Whedon. If you look at all his other shows, they didn't necessarily start strong. I honestly wasn't a huge fan of Buffy until it had a year or so under its belt. Same for Angel. And that first episode, regardless of its cross-over (even though there were a few little tidbits that were kinda fun: "With great power comes...a ton of weird crap you are not prepared to deal with") was pretty strong.

Was excited to see Gunn again, anyway ;).

The second episode? Well...that wasn't as strong. I still wasn't so bothered by the lack of crossover as I was by the wooden acting and somewhat odd writing choices. Showing most of the episode in flashback is a perfectly valid story technique and it was interesting to see that same dialogue shown in a different context, but there were several characters that seemed superfluous or odd.

Skye was extraneous for most of the episode and pointing it out as part of the plot only served to highlight this. I don't reject her as a character, and think they established a good enough reason for her inclusion, but the second episode seems like a bad place to make her seem useless.

She showed her worth in two ways: by providing the whole "100 people with 1% of the solution" concept and by launching the raft at the hole in the plane. Neither of these were unique to the skills or character traits she alone provided. Any one of the characters could have done either of those.

The other question mark was Melinda May. We hear that she's some awesome agent who doesn't want to be an agent, but why in the world would she have agreed to leave the Bus if that was the case? She's supposed to be incredibly reluctant, but then why was she there? And Ming-Na Wen didn't seem to have her heart in the role. Her expression rarely changed the entire time she was on screen. Most of the time, she just looked to be reading off of a cue card.

I'm hoping that next episode's director (David Solomon) does better than episode 2. Could it be that easy? Do you guys think this was all the director's fault? Seems like that's the primary difference from episode 1.
  • Options
    I think I am just at a point when I can't watch any anthology tv. TV just works so well in a serial format that watching people chase around a villain of the week is just boring for me. I was beyond excited for this series to premier and have decided not to watch past episode 1. It felt like watching NCIS.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

I think I am just at a point when I can't watch any anthology tv. TV just works so well in a serial format that watching people chase around a villain of the week is just boring for me. I was beyond excited for this series to premier and have decided not to watch past episode 1. It felt like watching NCIS.

Um, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D isn't an anthology. Twilight Zone is an anthology series.
  • Options
    What the term I am looking for? For a show that isnt serialized.