Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Official Thread (Spoiler Heavy)

Comments

• Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Enjoyed the second episode quite a bit. And not only because Swiss actor Carlos Leal was in it (way too short though - he played the archeologist) The show is good fun. And so far the "cameos" have been awesome. "Kill the fishtank."
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

What the term I am looking for? For a show that isnt serialized.

I believe “episodic” is the word you’re looking for.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Or just use non-serialized.

• Options
    Got it, thanks everyone. I generally dislike EPISODIC television and at this point won't keep watching the show. It's episodic nature an general networky ness turned me off.
  • Options
    I am wondering if the episodic nature will fade over time. Angel got a lot stronger when it moved away from that model
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I am wondering if the episodic nature will fade over time. Angel got a lot stronger when it moved away from that model

Whedon stated Angel was initially supposed to have self contained episodes, unlike Buffy. As season one progressed, he found it more difficult to not have an arc going. Plot points wound up carrying over into other episodes. I'm curious how the Doyle thing would've been explained (or accepted by fans) if the episode after THE episode occurred.

M
  • Options
    DennisCuzinskiDennisCuzinski Posts: 265
    edited October 2013
    Matt said:

Whedon stated Angel was initially supposed to have self contained episodes, unlike Buffy. As season one progressed, he found it more difficult to not have an arc going. Plot points wound up carrying over into other episodes. I'm curious how the Doyle thing would've been explained (or accepted by fans) if the episode after THE episode occurred.

M
    Yeah. I read that the initial plan was to focus on the case of the week, not on the Angel Investigations team, but the staff soon realized that it was far more interesting to make Angel, Cordy and the rest the focal point, which led to many more ongoing storylines (heck, season 4 was pretty much one long story). It became more episodic in season 5 , of course, but by then the characters were more fleshed out.

Since my biggest beef with MAoS is that the characters (save Phil and maybe Melinda) are too wooden, I am hoping some continuity and longer storylines will help flesh them out, too

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Matt said:

M
    Yeah. I read that the initial plan was to focus on the case of the week, not on the Angel Investigations team, but the staff soon realized that it was far more interesting to make Angel, Cordy and the rest the focal point, which led to many more ongoing storylines (heck, season 4 was pretty much one long story). It became more episodic in season 5 , of course, but by then the characters were more fleshed out.

Since my biggest beef with MAoS is that the characters (save Phil and maybe Melinda) are too wooden, I am hoping some continuity and longer storylines will help flesh them out, too

Actually, I agree completely. Phil was fleshed out during the movies, and Melinda felt like the only OTHER interesting character.

M
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited October 2013
    It didn't quite hit me that 0-8-4 was Hydra-tech, even with the "Germanic origins" comment, until later.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The Asset was a good episode. I think each one has been better than the last.

Oh, and Skye looked HOT in the dress.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited October 2013
    A couple of interesting things about The Asset's beginning: (1) the first part of the story took place in Sterling, CO! My wife is from there and most of her family lives there so we go to visit several times a year. It's only two hours from Denver! It was also recently part of the CO flooding. The South Platte is the river where most of the water from the Estes Park and Boulder floods ran into. It sits 50 yards behind my in-laws house and their house was severely flooded (3 ft or so). (2) That was most definitely not Sterling, CO! The vehicles were driving in the mountains and Sterling is in Northeastern corner of Colorado, near the CO/Nebraska state lines. It's pretty flat there. Anyway, it was fun to see. Carry on.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

I think I am just at a point when I can't watch any anthology tv. TV just works so well in a serial format that watching people chase around a villain of the week is just boring for me. I was beyond excited for this series to premier and have decided not to watch past episode 1. It felt like watching NCIS.

the arcs will develop. Its harder to be patient now because there are so many more options. But X-Files wasn't clearly an arc in episode 3 either. Lots of things weren't.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I continue to enjoy the series, but unfortunately I'm able to call a lot of what's going to happen.

Still... loved the end scene. Sure, saw that coming too, but I thought it was awesome anyway.
  • Options
    I gave episode 3 a shot and it was still wholly unremarkable. Besides a random mention of the Avengers this had nothing to do with the marvel universe. Minus about one minute of dialogue this could legitimately have been an episode of NCIS.

Completely boring, predictable spy nonsense. I am in this for marvel and I'm not getting t. That's the hook, not boring generic cast and silly plot. this played like a show that might have been on the UPN on Saturday afternoon in 1997.

Why waste the marvel name if you aren't going to use it?
  • Options
    edited October 2013

I gave episode 3 a shot and it was still wholly unremarkable. Besides a random mention of the Avengers this had nothing to do with the marvel universe.

Woah, woah, woah...

Franklin Hall? Graviton?!?!

Pretty badass character. Hopefully we'll see him bust out of his prison.

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    A few good things - birth of Graviton, May finally joins the combat squad - but I still want more from this than I'm getting.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I thought that last night's episode was the most comic-like of the three that have aired so far.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    I admit to having not watched much of it, yet. But from what the wife and I have seen, we're not impressed, and probably won't be watching it regularly. FYI, we've been big fans of Buffy/Angel, and all the Marvel movies.

One of my co-workers (who has about the same TV/Movie sensibilities as I do) has watched two episodes, hated them, and won't be watching any further.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I haven't watched the last two episodes in their entirety, I've been beta testing a game that I'm addicted to and may be in need of a twelve step program...anyways, I've liked what I've seen so far, it just needs to get bigger in the story part of it. I think back on some of the Buffy and Angel stories and how they ran for sevreal epidoses or throughout the whole season.
  • Options
    Greg said:

I've been beta testing a game that I'm addicted to and may be in need of a twelve step program...

@Greg Half-Life 3? ;)

• Options
    I thought episode 3 was a step in the right direction, witnessing the birth of a super villain, cool scene in the gravity room, though I wish it had been an action sequence in there, a potential nemesis for coulson in graviton who could blame him for what happened.

It's still not great by any means but as long as it trends upward I'll watch the next episode. But I'm also not going to wait around for it to be good. So it gets another episode to impress me or it goes to the "I'll watch it on netflix... maybe" pile. Or worse, I'll hear what eps are relavant to upcoming movies and only watch those.

Speaking of movies do you think we could do without a reminder every five minutes that the Avengers was a thing? I get it, same universe. But the references are starting to sound like Al Bundy's four touchdowns in one game. Let the show stand on its own.
  • Options

I thought episode 3 was a step in the right direction, witnessing the birth of a super villain, cool scene in the gravity room, though I wish it had been an action sequence in there, a potential nemesis for coulson in graviton who could blame him for what happened.

It's still not great by any means but as long as it trends upward I'll watch the next episode. But I'm also not going to wait around for it to be good. So it gets another episode to impress me or it goes to the "I'll watch it on netflix... maybe" pile. Or worse, I'll hear what eps are relavant to upcoming movies and only watch those.

Speaking of movies do you think we could do without a reminder every five minutes that the Avengers was a thing? I get it, same universe. But the references are starting to sound like Al Bundy's four touchdowns in one game. Let the show stand on its own.

Sounds like desperation to me. "Maybe if we continue to reference a really good movie, everyone will hang in until the next movie..."
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Greg said:

I've been beta testing a game that I'm addicted to and may be in need of a twelve step program...

@Greg Half-Life 3? ;)

Ha, no...Hearthstone, digital card game that Blizzard is putting out soon and right now it's my blue meth.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Wow.

Even I'm having trouble defending the lazy-ass, ham-fisted scriptwriting in this most recent episode.

"Here, let me teach you how to disarm someone when they point a gun in your face exactly like the villain is gonna do for an entire scene in the next act."

"Here, let me use the world's biggest compact* and then blatantly set it on your desk, rather than back in my ass where I was apparently carrying it."

*COMPACT, my ass.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    thought it was another great episode

do the people that what it to be "more marvel" not read comics that deal with S.H.I.E.L.D. very much? cause they are marvel, they're just not bright colored costume marvel

I didn't understand the little gravity bomb things, were they just put on the road and then activated when the trucks drove over them?

Thought Skye's portrayal of scared out of her mind while still trying to be cool came off pretty well so maybe her acting isn't as poor as everyone believes.

Thought the turn of Melinda May was too quick, plus she hasn't really "not been in combat" until this episode

Still loved it, looking forward to next week!

• Options
    Also, there didn't seem to be anything wrong with Coulson's "muscle memory" last week during the jungle firefight.
  • Options
    And I don't think I laughed even once.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    I thought the 3rd episode was the best episode yet.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

"Here, let me use the world's biggest compact* and then blatantly set it on your desk, rather than back in my ass where I was apparently carrying it."

She used Pym Particles!