Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Reaction types on posts

From the "Reaction Types" section of the administration part of our forums:

1. Don't use too many reactions. You don't want to give your users information overload.
2. We recommend mostly positive reactions to encourage participation.

I've decided to follow their advice.

B.

Comments

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Pants. If you like it I love it.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    (I loled twice...)
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Oh noes, people won't be able to anonymously hide behind their precious Dislike, Disagree, and (often-misused) Off Topic buttons anymore. Whatever shall we do?

Besides celebrate, I mean. \:D/
  • Options
    (almost loled now)
  • Options
    Aww, and after lurking for so long since the last forums died, I finally created a new account only the other day... got a dislike on only my 2nd post... and now the negativity is gone! I feel like I've been cheated out of internet hatred! :P
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited September 2013
    All dislikes and disagrees have been sent down the memory hole.

We have always been at war with Eurasia.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I suppose people that are anonymously disagreeable can just start out their comments with "I disagree..." or "I didn't like that". Or were some folks simply hitting the dislike button for kicks? Making up for their unfulfilled expectations from Facebook frustrations I guess.

Thanks for encouraging positivity @Pants
  • Options
    No more disagrees? How am I supposed to know who is WRONG on the site by disagreeing with me?

I KEED, I KEED!

No, really, if you disagree with me, you simply don't have enough information about how right I am.
  • Options
    I used those buttons in the past but not as a weapon of trolling. The functionality of the forum allowed me to so I did. If a topic presented itself to dissent, I did. I love the back and forth so I do not believe I was ever the object of derision over an anonymous "Dislike" or "Disagree" that appeared. What I do not get is why people got so offended by seeing a Dislike/Disagree pop up. This community is too big and diverse to expect unanimity in any opinion, a person disagreeing with a stated opinion should not be the third rail of debate. The smug in jokes between memebers that popped up after a topic got hit with an anoymous Disagree/Dislike were more annoying than the fact that somebody might disagree with my opinion. I guess there are some a#&hole trolls out there that I'm oblivious too, I just think taking tools away from us never really solves anything. Back to comic talk!
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited September 2013
    Truthfully, I only got annoyed when posters didn't seem to know when to correctly use 'dislike' and when to use 'disagree.'

I do see your point about removing tools from us. I'd prefer the anonymity just be lifted, but apparently people didn't like that, so this was the compromise.

As for caring about dissenting opinion; (for myself) I'm curious by nature. I also hated when my parents would tell me "just because" or "because I said so" growing up. I have always looked for a solid reason; even if I doing agree with it. "Seeing" how people think is just something I have a habit of doing.

Knowledge is power, man. The fact I HATE to give answers & information does not allude me.

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I miss 'em.

I took pride in my Dislikes and Disagrees.

Seems kind of bland without them.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    What's interesting is that no one ever seemed to get concerned when someone would use the reaction buttons to anonymously agree with them, or find them awesome, funny, or insightful, and not explain why. Could it not be said that simply clicking "agree" moves the conversation forward as little as simply clicking "disagree"? Sometimes I think we give the negative too much power. We let it draw too much of our interest.

Personally, I see them as just another form of speech. Positive or negative, they are less interesting and useful to the conversation than taking the time to compose a response in words, but I didn't think they were a problem. But, so it goes. It was not my decision to make.
  • Options
    David_D said:

What's interesting is that no one ever seemed to get concerned when someone would use the reaction buttons to anonymously agree with them, or find them awesome, funny, or insightful, and not explain why.

A "LOL" is worth a thousand words!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    David_D said:

What's interesting is that no one ever seemed to get concerned when someone would use the reaction buttons to anonymously agree with them, or find them awesome, funny, or insightful, and not explain why. Could it not be said that simply clicking "agree" moves the conversation forward as little as simply clicking "disagree"? Sometimes I think we give the negative too much power. We let it draw too much of our interest.

Personally, I see them as just another form of speech. Positive or negative, they are less interesting and useful to the conversation than taking the time to compose a response in words, but I didn't think they were a problem. But, so it goes. It was not my decision to make.

Good point. As I mentioned before, I'm always more interested in the dissenting opinion then the agreeing. An hour discussion a couple topics with differing opinions is more stimulating.

The Man of Steel thread is a great example. I kept coming back to the thread because there were passionate, dissenting opinions from my own. It's probably one of my favorite threads on every incarnation of the forums, and I was mostly conversing with a couple guys who were completely on the opposite side of the spectrum!

Seeing a dissenting feedback icon without a response (rather then use it, I like to quote the post in my response) just left me flat.

Ultimately (and this is strictly my opinion), I enjoy my circle of friends to have almost more foils then the choir. I feel as though I can grow more if opposing ideas are presented to me.

M
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    David_D said:

I agree with this as well. There are times, when it's appropriate to just shake one's head "no" rather than get into a debate. Sometimes this is just a matter of not having the time to put together a reasoned response. Other times, it's not being able to articulate beyond a gut reaction. Still others might be about a post not being worth the time spent typing a rebuttal.

I personally look at the feedback, positive and negative, as a means of backchecking what I was saying from the standpoint of tone and content.

Also, I can only assume that Off-Topic flags to the mods? I personally think that the OT button was particularly helpful given some of the recent spates of spammer posts.
  • Options
    Matt said:

David_D said:

Good point. As I mentioned before, I'm always more interested in the dissenting opinion then the agreeing. An hour discussion a couple topics with differing opinions is more stimulating.

The Man of Steel thread is a great example. I kept coming back to the thread because there were passionate, dissenting opinions from my own. It's probably one of my favorite threads on every incarnation of the forums, and I was mostly conversing with a couple guys who were completely on the opposite side of the spectrum!

Seeing a dissenting feedback icon without a response (rather then use it, I like to quote the post in my response) just left me flat.

Ultimately (and this is strictly my opinion), I enjoy my circle of friends to have almost more foils then the choir. I feel as though I can grow more if opposing ideas are presented to me.

M
    And, of course, nothing wrong with dissent. And a good debate. I definitely agree that discussion that comes from different, including dissenting, points of view, is best.

But I don't know that- and you may not be suggesting this- that removing reaction buttons, positive or negative ones, actually leads to more discussion. I don't know that the people who would only respond with a click and no further response will now be inspired to take more time to write out a response. But, I am glad to be wrong on that. We'll see.
  • Options
    sometimes i would find myself checking forums on the phone or before work in the morning and have an opinion but no time to respond. the tags were a quick and dirty way of feeling like i was involved even if i didn't have a lot of time to jump into the debate. I use the postive and negative options in the same way in that regard.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I personally would like to dislike the change.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a button for that. I don't really want to tell you why I dislike it, it's not going to change the fact that it's done. I would just like you to know if you go back and check that I dislike getting rid of the buttons.

A button would have made this easier and less time consuming.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    I've seen lengthy posts get reactions. Does one agree/disagree blanket the entire post? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I'd still rather see the discussion. Things like the reaction buttons or karma points just breed a bit of a club. 'Look how high my likes are!' Or 'aw man my karma went down. I have to get them back up!' Unnecessary.
  • Options
    Peter said:

I've seen lengthy posts get reactions. Does one agree/disagree blanket the entire post? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I'd still rather see the discussion. Things like the reaction buttons or karma points just breed a bit of a club. 'Look how high my likes are!' Or 'aw man my karma went down. I have to get them back up!' Unnecessary.

Disagree.

I'm with @hauberk above - sometimes all I want to do is just give a quick nod or shake of my head without getting into a discussion about it, and sometimes that's just because all I'm prepared to give is a moment's reaction.

My opinion here is that if you're going to get rid of the negative reaction buttons, then you just might as well get rid of them all.
  • Options

Peter said:

Disagree.

I'm with @hauberk above - sometimes all I want to do is just give a quick nod or shake of my head without getting into a discussion about it, and sometimes that's just because all I'm prepared to give is a moment's reaction.

My opinion here is that if you're going to get rid of the negative reaction buttons, then you just might as well get rid of them all.
    QFT (since the pressure seems to be to say something instead of just hitting the agree button).
  • Options
    Peter said:

If that is so why make such a fuss about it in the first place?

:>

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Peter said:

dislike: because Peter said it. :-\"
  • Options
    I find 2 revelations* here very interesting:

1. Posters liked the icons because they would go with their initial/gut reaction (in some situations it serves as a virtual head shake)

2. Posters feel so passionate about getting their opinions out there, they'd use the icons rather then wait until they have the time to explain why.

I find them interesting because I'm not really wired that way. Sure I have a gut reaction to things, but more times then not my opinion changes once I think about it.

They're are also a lot of times I want to dissent or piggyback another post, but I wait until I can respond. Using my phone, its already taken me an hour to post because I fit it in when I can

M

*if these 2 reasons ran mostly universal, then who objected to the feedback icons not be anonymous?
  • Options
    Matt said:

1. Posters liked the icons because they would go with their initial/gut reaction (in some situations it serves as a virtual head shake)

2. Posters feel so passionate about getting their opinions out there, they'd use the icons rather then wait until they have the time to explain why.

I find them interesting because I'm not really wired that way. Sure I have a gut reaction to things, but more times then not my opinion changes once I think about it.

They're are also a lot of times I want to dissent or piggyback another post, but I wait until I can respond. Using my phone, its already taken me an hour to post because I fit it in when I can

M

*if these 2 reasons ran mostly universal, then who objected to the feedback icons not be anonymous?

I had no issue with it but I have no objections letting my body language express my dissent in person either.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Matt said:

M

I had no issue with it but I have no objections letting my body language express my dissent in person either.
    "passionate" might be overstating it a bit. How many times do you hear folks complain that there is no dislike option on Facebook? In the 21st century digital info age we live off clips and sound bites and clicks. Right or wrong we don't really live in a culture that values deep analysis. Sometimes we just want to click. Maybe that's vapid but...it is what it is.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    Peter said:

Things like the reaction buttons or karma points just breed a bit of a club. 'Look how high my likes are!' Or 'aw man my karma went down. I have to get them back up!' Unnecessary.

Did that happen though? Maybe I missed something, but I just didn't see that.

I will say the removal of the negative reactions is going to break your streak in the Rioscast thread. ;)
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    It absolutely happened - I saw many a "Why was my post called Off-Topic?" exclamation. Even from a few posters who state that they only want to hit a button with no explanation. Curious, no?

My favorite new thing will now be to laugh at the people who will quote an entire post and put "disagree" after it. Because you know - everything in a post is something that can actually be disagreed with. "We breathe air! I like breathing air! Breathing air is like eating chocolate!" - Disagree! On really? So we don't breathe air? Whackos.

It all boils down to this: much like the Man of Steel thread, if you're more interested in winning than discussing, you're boring. Because that's what the reaction posts were all about: "I don't like what that person wrote so I'm going to disagree/etc. That'll show 'em!".

But by all means - keep making it about gut reactions and not having time.
    8-}

Frankly, I'd much prefer an ignore button. I used that quite heavily on other forums. Helps to weed out the thin skinned and the easily offended.
  • Options
    Peter said:

But by all means - keep making it about gut reactions and not having time.
    8-}

Frankly, I'd much prefer an ignore button. I used that quite heavily on other forums. Helps to weed out the thin skinned and the easily offended.

YOU'RE WRONG!!!!

I never paid any attention to it, myself. I've been on the forums since 2005, and if people didn't like my posts, I figure they'd tell me to shut up or to go away.

And I'm still here, bitches!

Really, if you are basing your self-worth on what buttons people click on line about you, it's time to go outside, breathe in the fresh air and do something good for another person. THAT will help your self-worth.

• Options
    Matt said:

I think the objections were more to something that had been anonymous suddenly not being so.