Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

GODZILLA 2014 Did you see? Any thoughts?? (SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I am so looking forward to this movie. Looks amazing.
  • Options
    "bolstered by humanity’s scientific arrogance, threaten our very existence"

Sounds like maybe we did some experimentin' with possibly some previous G dna?? Perhaps this new G is actually the parent of the original?? Is it a clone gone awry? Perhaps Ken Watanabe was a little boy when the first one arrived in Japan or the son of the daughter whose father sacrificed himself in the original?? I definitely think that the scene in the skeleton is from the original G. So many questions that need answering!! Can not wait.
  • Options
    Godzilla vs Heisenberg!!!!!
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I'll bet there will be tremendous levels if carnage, damage and destruction... and nobody will complain ;)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited February 2014
    batlaw said:

I'll bet there will be tremendous levels if carnage, damage and destruction... and nobody will complain ;)

Sure. It's Godzilla. That is what most expect and want from a Godzilla movie.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

batlaw said:

Sure. It's Godzilla. That is what expect and want from a Godzilla movie.
    Yep.

Godzilla = Monster.

Superman = Hero.*

*In theory, at least. Definite argument for Man of Steel as Monster. >:P
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

batlaw said:

Yep.

Godzilla = Monster.

Superman = Hero.*

TECHNICALLY, you can add the Death of Superman storyline with your statement. His battle with Doomsday leveled 1/2 the city just like in the movie verses Zod.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

batlaw said:

Yep.

Godzilla = Monster.

Superman = Hero.*

TECHNICALLY, you can add the Death of Superman storyline with your statement. His battle with Doomsday leveled 1/2 the city just like in the movie verses Zod.

M
    Sure. But that still makes one Superman story vs. all Godzilla stories. Leveling cities is part of the premise of Godzilla. Heck, you could call that a part of Godzilla's genre. And I'm not saying that is right or wrong, just that I find Superman and Godzilla comparison that @batlaw‌ is suggesting to be apples and oranges. Of course no one will be shocked at the destruction in Godzilla because that is what they showed up to see. There would likely only be outrage if a city DIDN'T get destroyed.

Man of Steel fans should love it ;)
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

batlaw said:

Yep.

Godzilla = Monster.

Superman = Hero.*

M
    Don't get me started on Doomsday.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    batlaw said:

Go back to your own thread!
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    I thought it looked OK. People on the reddit machine literally exploded over it, saying it looked like one of the most incredible movies ever.

It doesn't look bad. Beyond that I'm reserving judgement. The 1990's American Godzilla had similarly great trailers and I remember there being a ton of positive buzz before its release, and then we started seeing commercials that made it look not so good.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

I'm almost convinced. If you pause the trailer when that thing falls from the sky... That looks ALOT like a modern Rodan.

There is also a shot of a a weird glowing tentacle holding a bomb or bullet. Supposedly this is "Muto" a flying spider-like creature that Godzilla will fight.
    Its been well discussed that there will be no other "official" monsters in the movie because they could not get the rights to it. There may be other monsters, but word on the street is that they will be "original" to the movie.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

I'm almost convinced. If you pause the trailer when that thing falls from the sky... That looks ALOT like a modern Rodan.

There is also a shot of a a weird glowing tentacle holding a bomb or bullet. Supposedly this is "Muto" a flying spider-like creature that Godzilla will fight.
    Its been well discussed that there will be no other "official" monsters in the movie because they could not get the rights to it. There may be other monsters, but word on the street is that they will be "original" to the movie.

Yeah, the word is that Toho is gunshy about licensing more of their characters until they know what the reboot is going to do. But if it's a success it will open the door to more official monsters. So here's hoping for Ghidorah in the sequel!
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Planeis said:

The 1990's American Godzilla had similarly great trailers.

Watching the official trailer for the 98 release, the big difference between that and Gareth Edwards', is the sense of scale.

The earlier film's trailer keeps the shots tight on the action involving the humans for the most part, whereas Edwards has shots where the people look like ants even before Godzilla is in the frame. Some shots feel almost like a Godzilla POV of the world.

In fairness to Emmerich, his shots look like a deliberate attempt to channel the look of earlier monster movies where you'd have tight shots of humans reacting to something off screen (or in his case, behind them on green screen).

No excuse for whatever it is that Hank Azaria is doing at the end of the trailer though.
  • Options
    Brack said:

Planeis said:

The 1990's American Godzilla had similarly great trailers.

Watching the official trailer for the 98 release, the big difference between that and Gareth Edwards', is the sense of scale.

The earlier film's trailer keeps the shots tight on the action involving the humans for the most part, whereas Edwards has shots where the people look like ants even before Godzilla is in the frame. Some shots feel almost like a Godzilla POV of the world.

In fairness to Emmerich, his shots look like a deliberate attempt to channel the look of earlier monster movies where you'd have tight shots of humans reacting to something off screen (or in his case, behind them on green screen).

No excuse for whatever it is that Hank Azaria is doing at the end of the trailer though.
    Its cool the Toho company have accepted that version of the character, but labeling him 'Zilla' (since the 'God' was taken out of the character.) He even appeared in the 2004 Godzilla: The Final Wars.

M
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Matt said:

Its cool the Toho company have accepted that version of the character, but labeling him 'Zilla' (since the 'God' was taken out of the character.) He even appeared in the 2004 Godzilla: The Final Wars.

M

I think the only reason they included Zilla in Final Wars was so the fans could get the satisfaction of seeing the real Godzilla take him down. That scene was the equivalent of the Batman/Guy Gardner “One punch!” scene in the bwah-ha Justice League. It certainly got the biggest cheer and laugh of the movie from my family.
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    Webhead said:

Well it is already better then the Matthew Broderick Godzilla

That's not a high hurdle!

• Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
  • Options
    Not personally much of a Godzilla fan. I watched and sorta enjoyed them as a kid but never really invested too much into the movies or the character, Mainly just the concept. I remember kindle liking the Matthew Broderick Godzilla movie. Is/ was there a "Godzilla vs. Megalon(?) ? That title has stuck in my head since childhood and is what I always think of when I see hear or think Godzilla.
  • Options
    batlaw said:

Not personally much of a Godzilla fan. I watched and sorta enjoyed them as a kid but never really invested too much into the movies or the character, Mainly just the concept. I remember kindle liking the Matthew Broderick Godzilla movie. Is/ was there a "Godzilla vs. Megalon(?) ? That title has stuck in my head since childhood and is what I always think of when I see hear or think Godzilla.

Godzilla vs. Megalon is the epitome of the campy Godzilla movies. It’s the one where you get the tag-team match-up of Godzilla and Jet Jaguar against Megalon and Gigan—noted mainly for the scene where Godzilla slides on his tail feet first into one of the bad kaiju. Not to mention the Jet Jaguar theme song. MST3K did a great send-up of it.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited March 2014

batlaw said:

Godzilla vs. Megalon is the epitome of the campy Godzilla movies. It’s the one where you get the tag-team match-up of Godzilla and Jet Jaguar against Megalon and Gigan—noted mainly for the scene where Godzilla slides on his tail feet first into one of the bad kaiju. Not to mention the Jet Jaguar theme song. MST3K did a great send-up of it.
    Easily the lowest point in Godzilla history as far as production value, story, effects and scale, not to mention that about a 3rd of the movie is stock footage from the previous Godzilla vs Gigan. That said... Easily one of my favorites. I mean, how great is Jet Jaguar? Theme song alone.

Side note, I have th MST3K dvd, which due to rights issues was recalled, and then I bought it again when the stand alone dvd came out about a year ago making it the only Godzilla movie after the original that I've purchased more than once.
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight. Funny, in my mind i dont remember anything but godzilla vs a single other monster. New question... WTF is a jet jaguar?
  • Options
    batlaw said:

Thanks for the insight. Funny, in my mind i dont remember anything but godzilla vs a single other monster. New question... WTF is a jet jaguar?

A Jet Jaguar is a human-built and -controlled robot (well, mostly controlled). He starts out human-sized, but can grow to height of a kaiju. Think Giant-Man, but a robot—or just think Ultraman, of which he is a knock-off. But with a goofier theme song.

Easily the lowest point in Godzilla history as far as production value, story, effects and scale, not to mention that about a 3rd of the movie is stock footage from the previous Godzilla vs Gigan. That said... Easily one of my favorites. I mean, how great is Jet Jaguar? Theme song alone.

Side note, I have th MST3K dvd, which due to rights issues was recalled, and then I bought it again when the stand alone dvd came out about a year ago making it the only Godzilla movie after the original that I've purchased more than once.

Yeah, as goofy as it is, it’s probably the most rewatched of the Godzilla movies at our house.

My son got obsessed with Godzilla when he was four or five. The Sci-Fi Channel showed a marathon one weekend, and he was hooked. So he often got Godzilla-related items for his birthday and for Christmas. We’ve got all the movies in at least one format, but most of them we have in VHS and DVD. And a lot of the older movies we have multiple VHS copies of because we have they were released by different distributors with different packaging. Then there are a couple we have in Japanese with English subtitles. We basically have a shelf full of nothing but Godzilla movies.
  • Options
    ajcasperiteajcasperite Posts: 221
    More Godzilla News!
    Spoilerish

I did read briefly, not sure if I want to know everything before I see it. This is just a small taste of the plot regarding other beasties.

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/03/sxsw-godzilla-footage-reveals-massive-kaiju-battles/
  • Options
    People who attended SXSW showing of original Godzilla film and Q&A got this poster. Lucky so-and-sos'.

• Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Looks great. The original Godzilla film was all about metaphors to The Bomb - so if you are cheering for high-levels of destruction in these movies, (and sure, that's a by product), you're kinda missing the point. lol
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    FWIW - It gets better….. the original has been restored and being released in its original uncut version. Meaning… not dubbed (subtitles) and without Raymond Burr! I'm all in on this one.

youtu.be/aCkZd7yo35M
  • Options
    phansford said:

FWIW - It gets better….. the original has been restored and being released in its original uncut version. Meaning… not dubbed (subtitles) and without Raymond Burr! I'm all in on this one.

youtu.be/aCkZd7yo35M

I'm going to a screening at the end of April and to be honest, even though I've seen it a hundred times already I'm more excited about this than the reboot.