Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Flash

Comments

• Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    But how cool would it be if that connected the two series? More of the DC multiverse storytelling among tv shows.

Excited for tonight!
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    RepoMan said:

But how cool would it be if that connected the two series? More of the DC multiverse storytelling among tv shows.

Excited for tonight!

Me too. slightly worried. I hope the show continues an upward trend. There is so much potential there. I hope they didn't hit the apex of their cool with the Pilot.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited October 2014
    Just got around to watching it last night. I had low low low expectations. Holy crap, was I ever wrong! First episode out of the gate was awesome! can't believe how much they packed into the first show. Perfect comic goodness and a nice set up for the season.

...and that newspaper heading from the final scene sure made me smile.

*When Barry visits Ollie in Starling City, the scene is incredible. Mostly because you see TWO classic DC characters standing together having a heart to heart, not a BS versus sequence. There’s even clear admiration as the two characters watch one another depart.

This was the only part of the show that I thought was absolutely terrible! I understand wanting to shoehorn in an advertisement for "Arrow", but yuck, terrible dialog. My wife; "who the hell was that guy?", a little more explanation for people who haven't bothered to watch Arrow would have been helpful. Wow, is that Stephen Amell ever an awful actor.

Another thing I found distracting, although no fault of the show, was that it is filmed in Vancouver. I couldn't help but pinpoint all the locations. The car sequence with Weather Wizard was a block from my office. Ha, I drive down that street every day.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited October 2014
    A fun episode. I will admit to being a little worried about how fast they're throwing in names and people and the potential for some of them to get taken out of play permanently before they can develop the story lines that the names suggest could play out.

So far, we've got:

Vibe (by secret ID)
    Killer Frost (by secret ID)
    Weather Wizard
    Prof Zoom / Reverse Flash (by the yellow blur)
    Episode 2 supporting character
    Episode 2 villain

• Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    In Episode 2 we get Simon Stagg and Java. Can Metamorpho be far behind?

Loving this show!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    kgforce said:

Metamorpho will be tough to do justice to on a TV budget.

If we just see Rex Mason, I'll be satisfied.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

kgforce said:

Metamorpho will be tough to do justice to on a TV budget.

If we just see Rex Mason, I'll be satisfied.
    Harder still given what we saw with Stagg last night.
  • Options
    Look, I get it, you can't show a hundred naked guys running around, beating down the good guys... But when you explain a villian's powers as spontaneous cloning please just give me one line, one line! telling me how he is also able to clone his outfit too, rubber soles and metal zippers and all?

Fun ep overall.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Rather bland episode. So far it just feels like I've seen it all before. only the names have been changed.
  • Options
    I was happy with it overall.

I liked that Barry had a little heart to heart with Joe at the end. That adpoted dad tension may look like a TV trope or cliche but honestly anybody who has ever raised kids that are not biologically "theirs" has heard that "your not my Dad,' line. No matter how good a parent you are you WILL hear that line and it WILL break your heart.

Wow, Wells got seriously villanous quick. okay Reverse Flash is looking more plausible to me now.

an episode that deals with physical effects of his ability. Keep the caloric intake up, Barry. I think that is obvious for long time comic fans but might have been an AH HA! moment for "civilians".

I think they are laying a good foundation here.

Rex Mason is trapped in a pyramid somewhere bathing in the radioactive glow of a meteor. (I nerded out over Simon Stagg & Java because I had a Powers Record with a Metamorpho story on it when I was 7)

Look, I get it, you can't show a hundred naked guys running around, beating down the good guys... But when you explain a villian's powers as spontaneous cloning please just give me one line, one line! telling me how he is also able to clone his outfit too, rubber soles and metal zippers and all?

Fun ep overall.

I didn't mind this. Multiplex does it, Multiple Man does it, Silent Majority does it. I just accept it for storytelling convience and move on. If there WAS a good story to be told about how that happens it'd be cool to read/watch. I did appreciate inthe x-men when they explained the suits came from Reed Richards and were made of unstable molecules so they could adapt to things like Colossus's size change. of course the down side is then any panel with a ripped uniform doesn't make sense anymore.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    random73 said:

Rex Mason is trapped in a pyramid somewhere bathing in the radioactive glow of a meteor. (I nerded out over Simon Stagg & Java because I had a Powers Record with a Metamorpho story on it when I was 7)

Meta-Mor-Pho! Meta-Mor-PHO!!! *ba dum dum dum*

I'm loving the hell out of this show right now. Bring on more bad guys!

I really liked the caloric weakness they put in there. To me, the Flash was always one of those good guys who really didn't have a weakness. The man moves faster than you can think. In the real world there's no way you beat that. This at least gives his adversaries something to work with.

• Options
    Torchsong said:

random73 said:

Meta-Mor-Pho! Meta-Mor-PHO!!! *ba dum dum dum*

I'm loving the hell out of this show right now. Bring on more bad guys!

I really liked the caloric weakness they put in there. To me, the Flash was always one of those good guys who really didn't have a weakness. The man moves faster than you can think. In the real world there's no way you beat that. This at least gives his adversaries something to work with.

Thats the one! That song IS Metamorpho's origin story for me!
  • Options
    random73 said:

I liked that Barry had a little heart to heart with Joe at the end. That adpoted dad tension may look like a TV trope or cliche but honestly anybody who has ever raised kids that are not biologically "theirs" has heard that "your not my Dad,' line. No matter how good a parent you are you WILL hear that line and it WILL break your heart.

Wow, Wells got seriously villanous quick. okay Reverse Flash is looking more plausible to me now.

an episode that deals with physical effects of his ability. Keep the caloric intake up, Barry. I think that is obvious for long time comic fans but might have been an AH HA! moment for "civilians".

Fun ep overall.

I didn't mind this. Multiplex does it, Multiple Man does it, Silent Majority does it. I just accept it for storytelling convience and move on. If there WAS a good story to be told about how that happens it'd be cool to read/watch. I did appreciate inthe x-men when they explained the suits came from Reed Richards and were made of unstable molecules so they could adapt to things like Colossus's size change. of course the down side is then any panel with a ripped uniform doesn't make sense anymore.
    Ha, I more just complaining about the trope, and how we are always asked to accept this thing that makes absolutely no sense, goes against the internal logic of the situation and is never acknowledged.

But if I had a real problem with it, I probably wouldn't love comics.
  • Options

random73 said:

Fun ep overall.

Ha, I more just complaining about the trope, and how we are always asked to accept this thing that makes absolutely no sense, goes against the internal logic of the situation and is never acknowledged.

But if I had a real problem with it, I probably wouldn't love comics.
    I'm right there with you, man.
  • Options
    random73 said:

I still don't think he's Reverse Flash. Does Metron seem more unlikely now? Definitely, but Metron COULD be capable of villainous intent. Even if my guess of him being Metron is COMPLETELY off base (it's a stretch to begin with) I REALLY think and hope they don't make him Reverse Flash. I feel like that is just WAY too obvious and I'll be a little let down if they DO make him that.
  • Options

random73 said:

I still don't think he's Reverse Flash. Does Metron seem more unlikely now? Definitely, but Metron COULD be capable of villainous intent. Even if my guess of him being Metron is COMPLETELY off base (it's a stretch to begin with) I REALLY think and hope they don't make him Reverse Flash. I feel like that is just WAY too obvious and I'll be a little let down if they DO make him that.
    it was his statement about Barry needing protection that swayed me a bit. RF had this sort of twisted thinking for a while in which he wanted to make the Flash the best hero he could possibly be and that came from overcoming adversity. So RF stived to make Barry's life as miserable as possible to make him a better hero. (something like that anyway). He never wanted Barry killed but he wanted him to suffer and overcome.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    RF is like the ultimate Philadelphia sports fan. Booing Mike Schmidt to make him a better player.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I wonder if maybe they're going to treat RF and Zoom as two separate entities? Might confuse the non-Flash faithful, but could be interesting.

I can't stop playing that Metamorpho song now... :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I wonder if maybe they're going to treat RF and Zoom as two separate entities? Might confuse the non-Flash faithful, but could be interesting.

I can't stop playing that Metamorpho song now... :)

Glad to be of service. ;)
  • Options
    Everyone should share the experience that is Metamorpho
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nam1diYIJzQ
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    rebis said:

Everyone should share the experience that is Metamorpho
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nam1diYIJzQ

rebis said:
    How did I not ever hear these before!?!?!?! =D>
  • Options
    Just a quick aside.
    I'm sure you've noticed that 2 different album covers are shown. The original album (the large Flash in the LH corner) was released by Tifton in the mid to late 1960's. The 2nd. release (with Aquaman in the center) was released in the mid 1970's. The most noticeable difference between the two released is that the original has a Flash Song and Story. The later release has only the story.
  • Options
    random73 said:

random73 said:

it was his statement about Barry needing protection that swayed me a bit. RF had this sort of twisted thinking for a while in which he wanted to make the Flash the best hero he could possibly be and that came from overcoming adversity. So RF stived to make Barry's life as miserable as possible to make him a better hero. (something like that anyway). He never wanted Barry killed but he wanted him to suffer and overcome.
    That was the other Reverse Flash -- Dr Solomon, I think his name was? -- not the original, Eobard Thawne -- aka Professor Zoom. His motivations were a little bit different: Thawne wanted Barry dead, but discovered that he didn't dare let that happen because Barry was the actual generator of the Speed Force. If Barry died, then Zoom would lose his speed. Therefore, he needed Flash alive and very active -- but that didn't mean that he couldn't hurt Barry by other means, such as changing his history and screwing up his personal life. And some of the things we've seen so far in the show seem to point in that direction.
  • Options
    rebis said:

Just a quick aside.
    I'm sure you've noticed that 2 different album covers are shown. The original album (the large Flash in the LH corner) was released by Tifton in the mid to late 1960's. The 2nd. release (with Aquaman in the center) was released in the mid 1970's. The most noticeable difference between the two released is that the original has a Flash Song and Story. The later release has only the story.

That second release was the one I actully had. And you're exactly right. There was no Flash or Wonder Woman song on that one.
  • Options
    My one additional thought: they really need to knock off killing the villains. Ship them off to Belle Reve! The Wall can have the to use as grist in her mill.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited October 2014
    "I've never seen anyone get her that mad since Ronnie."

Ronnie!?!
    Ronnie Raymond!?!

Idk, is it too much of a stretch?
  • Options
    Bleeding Cool or Nerdist, or some other site, seemed to be willing to stretch that far. I thought it myself, but then quickly dismissed it.