Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Spoilers)

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    I'm with ya @TheSadTitan ... it's on my short list of best comic book movies ever made.
  • Options
    I think the elevator scene is my favorite part. It shows the subtle things Cap would notice until he realizes he is on the outside. And then the fight in the elevator is something like the James Bond/Grant train scene in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE only in Kirby style. Great stuff.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

I think the elevator scene is my favorite part. It shows the subtle things Cap would notice until he realizes he is on the outside. And then the fight in the elevator is something like the James Bond/Grant train scene in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE only in Kirby style. Great stuff.

Agreed.

Classically-directed scene.

The film wasn't just a thematic throwback to 70s political thrillers, it was also a throwback to 70s direction, which was such a ground-breaking period.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited January 2015
  • Options
    Some days I consider making duplicate threads just to see someone shout "AMALGAMATED!"
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Hex said:

Same here. I LOVED the Scourge of the underworld storyline. Using his position as Editor, Gruenwald ever so slowly built up minor Scourge appearances across various titles for months and months, until it all came to a head in Cap's title. It was so mysterious and ominous. It really played well with the idea of the all the books sharing the same world, without being a full blown cross-over event. If you read more than a couple of Marvel books, it was great to connect that shadowy figure that you had seen appear in another title.

Scourge was a poor man's Elf With A Gun.
  • Options

Some days I consider making duplicate threads just to see someone shout "AMALGAMATED!"

• Options
    I just re-watched this.

What a beautifully-crafted film!

And the cast is so good.

So many great action sequences, each with a very different feel.
  • Options
    I know it's mostly because of his current brainwashed condition, but I found The Winter Soldier himself to be the least interesting character in the movie.

A very significant threat, but quite bland. I look forward to seeing Sebastian Stan get a chance to show some personality again in Cap 3, as he was utterly charming in The First Avenger.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    WetRats said:

I know it's mostly because of his current brainwashed condition, but I found The Winter Soldier himself to be the least interesting character in the movie.

A very significant threat, but quite bland. I look forward to seeing Sebastian Stan get a chance to show some personality again in Cap 3, as he was utterly charming in The First Avenger.

I was impressed how much Stan really got into this role. One of the stunt coordinators talked about how much time Stan devoted to learning how to use the weaponry & fight.

Plus, I really liked Frank Grillo/Crossbones. Hearing he's signed for Civil War makes me really happy.

All in all, I think Winter Soldier is Marvel's best movie to date.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

I was impressed how much Stan really got into this role. One of the stunt coordinators talked about how much time Stan devoted to learning how to use the weaponry & fight.

Plus, I really liked Frank Grillo/Crossbones. Hearing he's signed for Civil War makes me really happy.

M
    I'm pretty much in agreement, although The Avengers is a very close second, and The First Avenger is still my favorite.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

M
    I'm pretty much in agreement, although The Avengers is a very close second, and The First Avenger is still my favorite.
    I've seen people crap on First Avenger, but it was on FX last night & my wife and I watched the last half of it. We commented on how much we think of Jamie with that character. It was perfect in illustrating why Steve was the best person for Project: Rebirth.

M
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    First Avenger is in my three MCU films. They nailed Steve spot-on.
  • Options
    First Avenger and Winter Soldier both crack my top 5 list of favorite superhero movies of all-time.
  • Options
    I am confused by one thing, though...

Why was the Captain America exhibit in the Air & Space Museum?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Maybe it was a President Russell Kramer situation & the Air & Space Museum offered a better deal.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Maybe it was a President Russell Kramer situation & the Air & Space Museum offered a better deal.

M
    Wow. You out-obscure-referenced me! Made me Google! Well done!
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    i adore first avenger, but with time I see its flaws. Really like winter soldier but it's not as rewatchable. Wish it had had more color and variety but it's a more solid well rounded movie than first avenger.
  • Options
    If it's not the best Avengers movie so far, it's in the top three. I can even overlook the fact that it would have been absolutely impossible to build that giant triple-aircraft-hangar installation in the Potomac River swamps, especially with no one noticing.

Setting that aside, though, I love the direction that superhero (especially Marvel) movies are taking now, where the movies aren't just superhero movies, but movies in other genres with superheroic elements mixed in. This is, as has been mentioned, a political thriller with superheroes. Guardians was a space opera. I'm expecting Ant-Man to be a heist film.

I hope they keep it up. War movies. Westerns. Buddy cop. Legal thriller. The list could go on.