Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140

Went to see it again tonight. About half the audience left when the credits started and then nearly all the rest left after the mid credits scene. There were only two other people left to watch the last one.

Same with the one I went to. The theater was PACKED and about half left when the credits started. Then another half left after the first end scene. I wanted to stand up and say, "STAY, YOU IDIOTS!." Honestly, I was not impressed with either of the end scenes but, still, you'd think people would know by now.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I wonder how many undercover SHIELD agents were murdered when Black Widow uploaded their database to the Internet.

Makes a good plot seed for any eventual Black Widow movie...
    More red in her ledger?

M
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

I wonder how many undercover SHIELD agents were murdered when Black Widow uploaded their database to the Internet.

Ahhhhh.... they were all Hydra agents.

Right guys.....RIGHT?
  • Options

Ahhhhh.... they were all Hydra agents.

Right guys.....RIGHT?
    I think they're merging a lawsuit with the subcontractors of the second Death Star for wrongful deaths. Damn good guys!

M
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451

I wonder if it's anybody on this forum?
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Marathon said:

Overall, it was great. I've heard it described as a 70s paranoid thriller with a modern budget, and I think I agree with that, especially with Robert Redford in it.

It moves the marvel movieverse on in a big way and if you're watching Agents of Shield, there should be massive ramifications felt there.

As is usual now, there are 2 credits scenes, after the animated main credits and right at the end.

I loved that without fanfare, someone throws out the name of a character not yet seen in the movies, just to set up possible future appearances. There was also a cameo by someone I did not expect to see, which was nice.

I'd say its a modern paranoid thriller... like about drones and NSA spying.

Good movie, possibly a little long, but I don't know what I'd cut.

This episode of the Avengers was brought to you by Chevy.

Chevy, makers of the all new: Corvette, Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado, SS, Camaro, Volt, and a bunch of other cars GM use to make, but doesn't anymore, but still has plenty of lying around.

Chevy... the Heartbeat of America.
  • Options

Now that it's official how do we feel about the Cap 3 vs Batman/Superman showdown? Personally I still think its a game of chicken. Both movies opening on the same date would split the audience. Maybe not down the middle but it doesn't matter. I think that BVS will move, though, as Marvel has established their dominance in the "shared-universe" game and can afford to take the hit. This would be like strangling their universe in the crib. And Cap 2 is a huge success in terms reception, whereas the MoS reception was mixed to say the least as is the reaction to pretty much ever tidbit of news about the production. Cap 3 will have its own buzz coming off of one of the most acclaimed superhero movies ever and probably benefit from the Avengers 2 halo effect, which could extend its life further than BVS. All I'm saying is that BVS has a lot more to lose coming in even a close first that weekend.

I think they will both move. Cap 3 hasn't started filming yet, and somehow its supposed to be released the same weekend as a movie that's already filming (a little) and casting? Seems unlikely.

Splitting the audience is bad for both movies. Even if Marvel "won" the weekend, the total amount of money for both companies will be lower. If, as an example, Cap 3 made $100 million through five days and Man of Steel 2 made $85 million, fans would say "see... MARVEL WON." But who cares? Its not a contest. Both companies want to make the most money for their respective movies. If they separate their release a little more and avoid going head to head, they both have the potential to make much more money.

Showdowns like this, this far out, often end up being moved. Because its bad business. It'd be like scheduling the Super Bowl and the NBA Finals on the same weekend. It just doesn't happen.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Now that it's official how do we feel about the Cap 3 vs Batman/Superman showdown? Personally I still think its a game of chicken. Both movies opening on the same date would split the audience. Maybe not down the middle but it doesn't matter. I think that BVS will move, though, as Marvel has established their dominance in the "shared-universe" game and can afford to take the hit. This would be like strangling their universe in the crib. And Cap 2 is a huge success in terms reception, whereas the MoS reception was mixed to say the least as is the reaction to pretty much ever tidbit of news about the production. Cap 3 will have its own buzz coming off of one of the most acclaimed superhero movies ever and probably benefit from the Avengers 2 halo effect, which could extend its life further than BVS. All I'm saying is that BVS has a lot more to lose coming in even a close first that weekend.

I think they will both move. Cap 3 hasn't started filming yet, and somehow its supposed to be released the same weekend as a movie that's already filming (a little) and casting? Seems unlikely.

Splitting the audience is bad for both movies. Even if Marvel "won" the weekend, the total amount of money for both companies will be lower. If, as an example, Cap 3 made $100 million through five days and Man of Steel 2 made $85 million, fans would say "see... MARVEL WON." But who cares? Its not a contest. Both companies want to make the most money for their respective movies. If they separate their release a little more and avoid going head to head, they both have the potential to make much more money.

Showdowns like this, this far out, often end up being moved. Because its bad business. It'd be like scheduling the Super Bowl and the NBA Finals on the same weekend. It just doesn't happen.
    But the story is good for both movies. Showdowns are great for building awareness, stirring up fanboy passion and creating anticipation. It's bad for business to open the same day for sure, but it's good for business to act like they are going to open the same day.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited April 2014
    Marathon said:

I was waiting to use my pun - 'Robert Redskull'. Never got the chance to use it. :(

I was anticipating it the entire time, then BAM! Black Widow does her own unmasking. Classic switch.

This movie was exceptional and truly special. I found myself whooping out loud a few times as if I were riding a roller coaster. The fight scenes and choreography, while a bit too shaky-cam for my tastes, really felt like super-humans fighting. The acting was top notch. It was full of Easter eggs and call-backs throughout. If felt like James Bond Superheroe Style almost, especially during the finale with Falcon and Cap taking on the three helicarriers. The chemistry was perfect, the pacing was perfect, and the score was world class.

Sure, the title of the movie maybe could've been better, but I have no alternative suggestions worth mentioning.

The ONLY thing that briefly took my out of the movie was when I noticed Chin Han portraying one of the World Security Council members. He is the same actor who played "Lau" in The Dark Knight and was seen on a few episodes of Arrow as "Frank". For some reason, when I recognized him, my disbelief was briefly broken. It quickly passed... All of the casting was top shelf as well. Especially liked seeing Jenny Agutter appear on the council as well.

Other brief issue I had; Peggy Carter should've been just make-up. It looked a bit CGI to me. Powerful scene though and I am glad it wasn't cut from the movie. I'd be interested to see what wound up on the cutting room floor. The movie was a tad long, but never felt bloated or slow at all.

For me, this one slightly outdid the Avengers, which was more about spectacle than story and characters. Until Winter Soldier, Avengers has been my favorite comic-book film, followed by Iron Man 1 and the Dark Knight and Donner's Superman. This movie has set the bar higher.
  • Options

Marathon said:

I was waiting to use my pun - 'Robert Redskull'. Never got the chance to use it. :(

I was anticipating it the entire time, then BAM! Black Widow does her own unmasking. Classic switch.

This movie was exceptional and truly special. I found myself whooping out loud a few times as if I were riding a roller coaster. The fight scenes and choreography, while a bit too shaky-cam for my tastes, really felt like super-humans fighting. The acting was top notch. It was full of Easter eggs and call-backs throughout. If felt like James Bond Superheroe Style almost, especially during the finale with Falcon and Cap taking on the three helicarriers. The chemistry was perfect, the pacing was perfect, and the score was world class.

Sure, the title of the movie maybe could've been better, but I have no alternative suggestions worth mentioning.

The ONLY thing that briefly took my out of the movie was when I noticed Chin Han portraying one of the World Security Council members. He is the same actor who played "Lau" in The Dark Knight and was seen on a few episodes of Arrow as "Frank". For some reason, when I recognized him, my disbelief was briefly broken. It quickly passed... All of the casting was top shelf as well. Especially liked seeing Jenny Agutter appear on the council as well.

Other brief issue I had; Peggy Carter should've been just make-up. It looked a bit CGI to me. Powerful scene though and I am glad it wasn't cut from the movie. I'd be interested to see what wound up on the cutting room floor. The movie was a tad long, but never felt bloated or slow at all.

For me, this one slightly outdid the Avengers, which was more about spectacle than story and characters. Until Winter Soldier, Avengers has been my favorite comic-book film, followed by Iron Man 1 and the Dark Knight and Donner's Superman. This movie has set the bar higher.
    I too noticed Laue.

But I do think Peggy was all makeup

• Options
    I couldnt tell if Peggy was makeup or another actress while I was watching but I never thought there was any CGI
  • Options
    Peggy was CG, so much so that it bothered me. The only thing In the movie that bothered me.
  • Options

Peggy was CG, so much so that it bothered me. The only thing In the movie that bothered me.

Atwell was listed in the credits. If she was CGI that was the best computer work I've ever seen. It looked to me like a person was there.

M
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Not wishing to quibble, but I'm certain it was computer effects. In fact, here is an onset photo of Haylay Atwell I've found that appeared in the press last summer that all but confirms the aging effect was total CG. With so much attention to detail doing scrawny Steve Rogers, we shouldn't expect otherwise these days. For some reason I was just unconvinced with the effect in that scene. In fact, I wasn't even sure it was Haylay Atwell at all. But, apparently it must have been well-done since many of you assumed it was practical effects make-up instead.

click the image to read the news story
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I just remember thinking it didn't resemble atwell much to me. And I was fixated on the wrinkles around the eyes and the texture of the skin thinking... I don't know if its cgi, practical, or an elderly actress or what. but if cgi or practical, whoever was responsible should be damned proud!
    I was also pulled out by the casting of the Asian actor used for the world council. I was also disappointed they couldn't get powers booth(?) or anyone actually shown previously in avengers.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    batlaw said:

I was also disappointed they couldn't get powers booth(?) or anyone actually shown previously in avengers.

That would have been an exceptional choice. They did get Jenny Agutter in there.

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited April 2014
    CAWS was a very good movie. I would still place CA, 1st Avenger ahead of it just on the strength of Hugo Weaving's performance.

I'm curious if anyone else feels this way about the movie or the Marvel Movie Universe's depiction of SHIELD in general.
    I felt that in many of the movies, high level SHIELD agents were played as understated comedy relief. Certainly they weren't Keystone Copping their way through the movies, but they had this deadpan straight man thing going on that's making it difficult for me to believe that they're a threat.
    It' probably just me, but it's there and it's keeping me from really loving this movie and is my biggest problem with the tv show.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    you people keep mentioning cap vs superman like there aren't two days in a weekend sheesh

that said I might have to wait on superman just because the last one was darn near depressing
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Most people can't afford the cost of two movies in a single weekend, less so if they're covering the cost for a date or a family. Even with going to an early bird show by myself, that's a good pinch out of my wallet once you add in popcorn and a soda.
  • Options
    I would probably go see both movies if I was interested but I've got to admit, I've not got a whole lot of faith when it comes to Superman/Batman so I'll be waiting on that one for a while regardless of when it comes out.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

batlaw said:

I just remember thinking it didn't resemble atwell much to me. And I was fixated on the wrinkles around the eyes and the texture of the skin thinking... I don't know if its cgi, practical, or an elderly actress or what. but if cgi or practical, whoever was responsible should be damned proud!

I've seen it twice now and if it was CGI it was flawless.
    The problem with practical "old" makeup is that an older, frail person doesn't have the fleshyness of the face of a younger person. When you add all of the latex wrinkles onto a young person, you're essentially making them MORE fleshy, and it rarely ever works. In this case, I think the hair, eyes, and lips were real, and the rest was CGI, especially the hands.

I thought it looked fantastic, and was some of the most convincing "old" "makeup" I've ever seen...
  • Options

I would probably go see both movies if I was interested but I've got to admit, I've not got a whole lot of faith when it comes to Superman/Batman so I'll be waiting on that one for a while regardless of when it comes out.

I would go see this movie a hundred times before going to see Man of Steel, so I don't even care if they make another. Keep the Marvel movies rolling, and true to the heart of the characters and universe, and I'll keep seeing them.

Before the New52, I was a DC guy. Since the onslaught of Marvel's movies and the demise of DC, I could care less if they ever make another movie. They had a good run with Nolan's trilogy, but even those don't hold up to the polish, balance, and tight script of Winter Soldier. Yes, Dark Knight, I'm looking at you.

When watching the Avengers, I thought to myself, and said to my wife, "This is what I've been seeing in my head since I was 5 years old", and, with the exception of possibly the first two Superman films, I have had that experience with no other movie.

Until this one, of course.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

When watching the Avengers, I thought to myself, and said to my wife, "This is what I've been seeing in my head since I was 5 years old", and, with the exception of possibly the first two Superman films, I have had that experience with no other movie.

Until this one, of course.

Agreed. Said almost the identical words to my wife at the Avengers movie. These are "golden years" for Marvel fans.

• Options
    spid said:

WetRats said:

spid said:

spid said:

I wish there was more interaction between the films and the television show. The television show would have been better if they were building to the events of Captain America instead of the Clairvoyant story arc.

Maybe they are more closely tied than we currently realize
    If they are then the show has done a poor job of expressing it. I should have come out of the movie not only getting a great movie experience, but something that ties together with what is going on in the show. What I feel like is we have two disjointed plotlines going concurrently. Even if they try to explain it away on the show they missed an opportunity.
    Are we watching the same show?

"I need you to report to The Lemurian Star immediately."

"I've got a boat to catch."

To me a couple of throwaway lines in one episode does not make a season. I didn't even notice the connecting dots while I was watching the episode. Besides SHIELD being over there was nothing about the show that felt like it was incorporated in the movie.
    Taking into account the insane complexity of filming schedules, movie release dates, tv show air times, actor availability, script secrecy, etc. I am ASTONISHED the show meshes with the rest of the Marvel movies as well as it does. The show statted out a little slow and Warehouse 13-ish, but has built to a nice paranoid thriller with an expanding cast. My understanding is that WS will have a HUGE effect on the show, for a long time to come, which is, again, astounding. That's a pretty big risk... a ballsy move. They're trying something different, and I don't think it's ever been done before.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Tonebone said:

Taking into account the insane complexity of filming schedules, movie release dates, tv show air times, actor availability, script secrecy, etc. I am ASTONISHED the show meshes with the rest of the Marvel movies as well as it does. The show statted out a little slow and Warehouse 13-ish, but has built to a nice paranoid thriller with an expanding cast. My understanding is that WS will have a HUGE effect on the show, for a long time to come, which is, again, astounding. That's a pretty big risk... a ballsy move. They're trying something different, and I don't think it's ever been done before.

Well said!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Boy, any shot we can take to make comments about things we don't like. Now I see how ridiculous I sounded crowbarring complaints about Morrison & the 60s Batman into any thread.

M
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Is there a CGS review episode coming up this week?
  • Options

Is there a CGS review episode coming up this week?

Probably. It's been recorded, so I would say it'll pop up by the week's end.

M

• Options
    Off topic: Previews episode just dropped on my podcast feed... FYI