Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A list of TV Shows/Movies/Commercials I'd like to punch in the face

* The series finale of "How I Met Your Mother"
(Most irritating finale since what ... "Dexter"? "LOST"?)

* This commercial:

Comments

• Oh, and the movie "White House Down" which I just watched this past week. The bomber pilot at the end aborts his mission because some kid is waving a flag?

Would love to punch that movie ...

• ajcasperiteajcasperite Posts: 221
    Nick kids choice awards show with mark wahlberg. Stupid stupid show.image
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    My Satanic Movie List:
    1) Nothing But Trouble - hands down the worst movie ever made. Everyone involved with it should be ashamed of themselves (yes, even the Digital Underground) and the cinematic world was dimmed slightly at the moment of its inception.
    2) Bean - the only movie that ever gave me a headache at how awful it was.
    3) Land of the Lost - the only movie in recorded history I've ever walked out of, demanded my money back, and got it.

My Satanic TV Show List:
    Nothing - if I don't like a show enough to want to punch it in the face, I don't watch it. Period. I don't watch any reality TV, never saw an episode of Family Matters or Full House, and ditched cable about a year and half back. And I feel all the richer for it. :)

My Satanic Commercial List:
    1) Smarmy Cadillac guy telling us all to work harder, not smarter. N'est ce pas?
    2) Anything that's designed to look improved but is so painfully obviously scripted. (ie. the Verizon commercials where the "people on the street" can't figure out the blotches make a map of the US)
    3) Anything Guy Fieri endorses.

I actually like the Sprint Framily ads - cute little girl with Disney birds singing Motley Crue in French? Yes, I'm down for more of that!
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited April 2014
    I'd rather punch the faces, throats testicles of the people that allow stuff to get on the air/in theaters/in print or let alone allowed to get made in the first place.

I've only watching about two hours of tv a week since football ended, so there isn't anything current I can think of at the moment.

Some of the cartoons my kids used to watch and shows advertised for Cartoon Network over right know and over the years though...I got a steel toe boot saved for those people

• LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    The Geico ads with the talking pictures/paintings/photos/whatever that air in front of pretty much everything we watch on Hulu Plus... I hate them so much I kind of come back around to liking them.

"Hold still, Mr. Tickle, don't chu get all cattywumpus now!"

"WHOA!!"
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    While we are on Geico, I hate the Pig.

I also want the head of whoever started advertising upcoming shows using the pop-up at the bottom of the screen during the show I'm watching. Guess what, NBC I don't need to know whatever crappy sitcom is following Community. You are going to give me 3 commercials for it while we are in the break.

Most hated commercial of 2013: The White House Down ads that filled the entire NBA playoffs last year. I never thought I could dislike Jamie Fox, but I now do.
  • Torchsong said:

I actually like the Sprint Framily ads - cute little girl with Disney birds singing Motley Crue in French? Yes, I'm down for more of that!

You must not be watching the NCAA Tournament, because those 2 commercials of theirs are on back-to-back ... EVERY ... SINGLE ... COMMERCIAL BREAK.

• hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    mwhitt80 said:

While we are on Geico, I hate the Pig.

I also want the head of whoever started advertising upcoming shows using the pop-up at the bottom of the screen during the show I'm watching. Guess what, NBC I don't need to know whatever crappy sitcom is following Community. You are going to give me 3 commercials for it while we are in the break.

Most hated commercial of 2013: The White House Down ads that filled the entire NBA playoffs last year. I never thought I could dislike Jamie Fox, but I now do.

There is a special place in hell for the person that came up with the pop-up ad in the corner - especially when it occurs over the top of a program that is using any kind of captions or subtitles or when the program requires full concentration and has clues in the background imagery - it draw attention away from the program at hand. In general, it's rude and disrespectful to their viewers and to the creative team for the show that's on. I would liken it to having someone walk up and down the aisle of a stage production handing out playbills for the next show scheduled in the theater, while the current play is being performed.
  • EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    How about an entire network, minus 30 minutes a week?

I'm looking at you, E! I can barely sit through The Soup for the commercials for the rest of the programming on that network (which is why I tend to see The Soup about once a month).

The Hotels.com Captain Obvious commercials are a new hate of mine. This may be simply because I work in the hotel industry and all hotel commercial irritate me to some extent.

Some of the Skittles commercials are so disgusting they turn my stomach. Like the one where the Abraham Lincoln-looking guy on a treadmill is sweating Skittles and the other guy is eating them as they come off of him. Or the one where that teenage kid has teeth made of Skittles until the girl kisses him and he is then toothless and she is chewing. At that point, sorry, I no longer see those as "Skittles," but as sweat and teeth, being consumed by another person. Ugh. Some ad exec needs a beating for these.

I will admit, when the first JG Wentworth ad came out with them singing the jingle on the opera stage, I thought, "Well, that was well produced." Now that they continue to use the same jingle regardless of the premise of the commercial, I wanna punch JG Wentworth in the throat.

Ooh, the "Farmers Only" dating service. It is dumb and low-budget (check it out on YouTube if you haven't seen it), but the worst part is that they use the images of the people from Grant Wood's American Gothic in it as a "couple," which is really, really creepy if you happen to know that American Gothic is a painting that is a representation of a farmer AND HIS DAUGHTER. Ew, ew, ew.

Any of the Jane Seymour "Open Heart" jewelry commercials. How can people not look at that and see it is just the letter "Z"?!? Why is this considered beautiful?!? If the lady in your life is NOT named Zina, or Zoey, or Zana, why would they want it?!? Anytime Jane Seymour starts talking about "designing" these things, I wanna throw things at the TV.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

American Gothic is a painting that is a representation of a farmer AND HIS DAUGHTER.

That interpretation was a retrofix sop to the vanity of Grant Woods' sister, who was the model.
    WetRats said:

American Gothic is a painting that is a representation of a farmer AND HIS DAUGHTER.

That interpretation was a retrofix sop to the vanity of Grant Woods' sister, who was the model.
    Never heard that before. Love to see some citation.

WetRats said:

Et voila!
    edited April 2014

Ooh, the "Farmers Only" dating service. It is dumb and low-budget (check it out on YouTube if you haven't seen it), but the worst part is that they use the images of the people from Grant Wood's American Gothic in it as a "couple," which is really, really creepy if you happen to know that American Gothic is a painting that is a representation of a farmer AND HIS DAUGHTER. Ew, ew, ew.

Those farmers only commercials make me laugh. I guess if you are running a large farm in the midwest (and I Texas I guess) finding a date might be an issue. But anyway they make me laugh. Using American Gothic might make them a little more humorous (and popular in Alabama).
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

* The series finale of "How I Met Your Mother"
    (Most irritating finale since what ... "Dexter"? "LOST"?)

FIXED!
    WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Et voila!
    Interesting, and thanks. Though it doesn't quite clear up the matter, it does open the painting to further interpretation. Having a sister, I could see Wood actually telling her that she was the "daughter," whether that was his intention or not. I can also see him thoroughly enjoying being vague about it to everyone else.
  • Tonebone ... I'm witchoo.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Tonebone said:

This will be an unpopular opinion... Warning...

I Hate Adventure Time. I hate the art style, I hate the frolicking through flowers music, and I HATE HATE HATE the voices. If I hear it from another room, I will tell my kids to turn down the sound so that I can't, for my own sanity.

I can appreciate the hard work that goes into any animated production, and I can appreciate the affinity kids and adults have for the world he Pen Ward has created, but God Almighty, I can't stand it.

I hate it for existing, and being a popular cartoon (A CARTOON, FOR GOD'S SAKE!!) that I don't apparently "get". That makes me old. Sigh...

I feel the same way about Sponge Bob. I'm so glad my son eventually realized the same thing: "Dad, this is kind of... stupid."
    Tonebone said:

I Hate Adventure Time. I hate the art style, I hate the frolicking through flowers music, and I HATE HATE HATE the voices. If I hear it from another room, I will tell my kids to turn down the sound so that I can't, for my own sanity.

I can appreciate the hard work that goes into any animated production, and I can appreciate the affinity kids and adults have for the world he Pen Ward has created, but God Almighty, I can't stand it.

I hate it for existing, and being a popular cartoon (A CARTOON, FOR GOD'S SAKE!!) that I don't apparently "get". That makes me old. Sigh...

I've never seen it.

Nor am I particularly interested in doing so.

But it's apparently fueling the needs of a generation of proto-nerds, so all power to it as far as I'm concerned.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited April 2014
    Tonebone said:

I love Adventure Time but totally get where you're coming from and you're not alone, my wife doesn't care for it either. For me, I can't stand Regular Show, Uncle Grandpa, Billy & Mandy, Flapjack, I Am Weasel, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, Cow & Chicken and freshly added to the list, Clarence. Not a big fan of the Adult Swim stuff either, anime excluded.

edited April 2014
    Tonebone said:

I could not hit the "agree" button harder.

In fact, I need more than a simple agree...

Welcome to Oldsville. :)

Don't worry. I've been a resident of there for some time now. You'll all be fine.

I don't get Adventure Time either. :)
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Torchsong said:

Welcome to Oldsville. :)

Don't worry. I've been a resident of there for some time now. You'll all be fine.

I don't get Adventure Time either. :)

I don't think it's an issue of age (well, maybe some of it is), but of taste. I'm in my mid-thirties and enjoy Adventure Time. There are plenty of things on these forums that people discuss and I couldn't care any less about.

• any Hulu commerical is crazy.. and I swear they add more every year.
    The sad part is pre-convention season I have to go through and re-acquaint myself with the stuff "the kids" are into so when they're asking for a Princess Bubblegum sketch card, I know what they're talking about.

/Because $5 is $5, man. :)
    edited April 2014
  • Torchsong said:

The sad part is pre-convention season I have to go through and re-acquaint myself with the stuff "the kids" are into so when they're asking for a Princess Bubblegum sketch card, I know what they're talking about.

/Because $5 is $5, man. :)

Don't feel bad. They call that "Stickin' it to the Man!"... even if the "man" is a 9 year old girl with 5 bucks.
    ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^