Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Constantine (TV Series)

1235»

Comments

• Options
    pfinneganpfinnegan Posts: 32

RepoMan said:

As someone who actually watched Constantine, caught up about a few weeks ago on the last few episodes, this version was not squeaky clean. He had a past of doing drugs. And he absolutely smoked in the episodes. He would kick a butt away, or start to light up with a lighter. And then in one of the last eps, he's sitting on a cop car or back of an ambulance smoking. If you missed that, you probably didn't see the show - so I don't think the rest of your post has much cred. Haha.

Definitely did not stick around for its entirety. Made up my mind rather early. Sorry you don't think any of the post has cred. I suppose you thought it was a very good representation of Hellblazer.

I don't think I would qualify the show in its entirety as a good representation of the comic, but to be fair, the tone of the comic changed immensely from the early days of Delano to Ennis to Azzarello and all the way up to modern day Milligan (I'm not including the relaunch). Each writer depicted John in very different ways (Ennis' John and Azzarello's John are almost two different people).

Personally, I think the actor in Constantine does a hell of a job portraying John's core personality. He's mostly a loner with only 1 real friend, has the deep-seeded regrets of Newcastle, and at the end of the day he feels he's best equipped to battle the demons (even if he's not). Sure, he's a little cleaner than most versions of John, but he has his trademark trenchcoat and skinny tie, so I'm happy.

The show took a lot of liberties with the supporting characters, so I think it's all a matter of taste in that department. I loved the comics, but since it's network television, I wasn't surprised they tried to make it more procedural. But, as often happens, these show start out procedural and develop a core mythology that sort of takes over. I was hoping that Constantine would have the chance to get there, but sadly that doesn't appear to be the case.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I thought the guy who played John was the best part of the show. I really liked his performance a lot.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Not surprising, but still a shame from a comic fan perspective.

It may not have interested me, but it still provided something different.
  • Options
    pfinneganpfinnegan Posts: 32
    The first vertigo series to fall. iZombie continues on, but I am not watching it (nor have I read the book).

I'm curious how Lucifer will play out (with it's seeming un-Lucifer like premise) and Preacher. I have higher hopes (and expectations) for Preacher.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I'm bummed by that. I thought the series was uncommonly good, and I'm not usually a fan of that sort of show. And I was really intrigued by their teasing of the imminent arrival of the Spectre.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

I'm bummed by that. I thought the series was uncommonly good, and I'm not usually a fan of that sort of show. And I was really intrigued by their teasing of the imminent arrival of the Spectre.

Next season on Arrow....

"OLIVER QUEEN.... YOU HAVE FAILED THIS CITY!"

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited November 2016
    I bought season 1 on iTunes recently and finally made it all the way through. I enjoyed it, but it did have some hiccups. I too was looking forward to The Spectre making an appearance. After having just watched the final show, it's a shame they didn't know about the cancellation until after the finale, otherwise, they could have made a much better and more finalized last episode. I wish CW picked it up, and I wonder if they didn't already have Supernatural (I've never seen an episode, and I'm assuming it's the closest thing to Constantine--it is on CW though, right?) or other shows like it, would they have been more ready to jump as they did Supergirl? Oh well, that's television.