Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Discussion of picks "unofficial" CGS BOMC readers club thread

Comments

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited April 2012
    I have no problem w/ Daredevil Born Again as a future pick but I want to shift from a Marvel pick this time to a different publisher the following month & keep the cycle going. While trying to get a finger on the pulse among the group of what they want to read. If the majority of the group wants fill in the blank collection from publisher A, B or C then we do that as long as it available from IST.

Matthew

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I'd join in. Always wanted to read weapon X, but I have no money, so I may have to join in after weapon X! My suggestion is Daredevil: Yellow.
    I would be for Daredevil: Yellow at some point, I read Hulk Grey and Spider-man: Blue and enjoyed them both.

• Options
    I would love to re-read Sandman, plus I know I still have my floppies.
  • Options
    I have no problem w/ Daredevil Born Again as a future pick but I want to shift from a Marvel pick this time to a different publisher the following month & keep the cycle going. While trying to get a finger on the pulse among the group of what they want to read. If the majority of the group wants fill in the blank collection from publisher A, B or C then we do that as long as it available from IST.

Matthew

Yeah, I agree. I meant to qualify my response but forgot to. Definitely should try to cycle through other publishers before returning to Marvel.

I also want to second the suggestion of Sandman. I know @dubbat138 stated that he feels it hasn't aged well and isn't inclined to read it again, but I think that would also make for an interesting discussion. I fully admit that I probably revere Sandman too much, and I would like to hear a dissenting point of view so that I might be able to look at it with fresh eyes.

chris
  • Options
    Since I no nothing about Sandman other than Death as a character had a cameo in a issue of Action Comics when Lex Luthor was the focus of the series. What trade of Sandman is a good solid starting point for new readers?

Matthew
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The pick is officially announced.

Weapon X by writer/artist Barry Windsor-Smith.

Since there are a lot of books w/ the "Weapon X" branding on it this is the trade I am referring to.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/WOLVERINE-WEAPON-X-TP-NEW-PTG/JAN092592

It sales for $10.53

If you have orders over $50.00 it is free shipping.

Since this just starting up for the next ten days to 2 weeks as the book arrives & have a chance to read it. Then we discuss it for the next three weeks & decide what to choose next in the the last week of decision say May 11 to May 17 something from DC or indie with everyone's suggestions heard.

If you already have own the book reread it again & join in the conversation.

Thanks everyone.

Matthew
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I'd join in. Always wanted to read weapon X, but I have no money, so I may have to join in after weapon X! My suggestion is Daredevil: Yellow.
    Check your local library. I know mine has a big Wolverine hardcover that includes Weapon X along with a few other Wolverine stories like the original mini, his first appearance in Hulk and a few others.
  • Options
    peedmyselfpeedmyself Posts: 105
    @fredzilla,nah the CGS guys have never done Sandman. But it is at least to me,a long hard read now. The series hasn't aged that well in my eyes. Mainly certain storylines seem padded out.
    I recently reread the whole thing and have to agree it wasn't the greatness that I remembered. A lot of it was still good, but the highlights weren't what I remembered.

Morrison's Doom Patrol was still great, though.

I think I still have my MCP floppies, so I will jump in on this if work gives me a chance.
  • Options
    I'm in for Weapon X too. I have a printing from a few years ago but I still love that story.

Here are some out of left field BOMC choices if anyone interested:
    Ghost in the Shell
    Twisted Toyfare Theatre
    The Incal
    New X-Men
    Hellblazer Vol. 1
    Infinity Gauntlet
    Iron Man: Extremis
    Gotham Central
    Elektra: Assassin
    Elephantmen
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    @fredzilla,nah the CGS guys have never done Sandman. But it is at least to me,a long hard read now. The series hasn't aged that well in my eyes. Mainly certain storylines seem padded out.
    I recently reread the whole thing and have to agree it wasn't the greatness that I remembered. A lot of it was still good, but the highlights weren't what I remembered.

Morrison's Doom Patrol was still great, though.

I think I still have my MCP floppies, so I will jump in on this if work gives me a chance.

It is weird,Sandman hasn't held up that well. But Animal Man,Swamp Thing,Shade,Doom Patrol,etc have held up really well. At one time Sandman was in my top 5 or so series. But after rereading it all about 5 years or so ago it has dropped out of the top 10. It seems to me that there is abotu 20 issues in the run that do nothing to progress the story forward. And to me at least feels like Neil Gaiman padding out the series. I plan on rereading it with in the next 2 years but I doubt my opinion changes much.
  • Options
    I'm in for Weapon X too. I have a printing from a few years ago but I still love that story.

Twisted Toyfare Theatre
    The Incal
    Hellblazer Vol. 1
    Gotham Central
    Elephantmen
    I second any of the above choices.

Here's a few I want to throw out

Essential Killraven
    Showcase presents Warlord
    Frost Giant's Daughter -Want to say this is the first of the Dark Horse Conan trades.

• Options
    Perhaps a Rocketeer BOMC?

Perhaps a Rocketeer movie review and/or commentary?
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Since I no nothing about Sandman other than Death as a character had a cameo in a issue of Action Comics when Lex Luthor was the focus of the series. What trade of Sandman is a good solid starting point for new readers?

Matthew
    I knew about as much as you do when it came to Sandman. I saw that they were coming out with a recolored, remastered editions and picked up volume 1 "Preludes & Nocturnes." I think that may be a good place to start. Highlights for me have been vol. 3 "Dream Country," vol. 4 "Season of Mist," and vol. 6 "A Game of You."

Again I would start with volume 1 and work your way up. I'm sure you could find some from your local library.
  • Options

Matthew
    I knew about as much as you do when it came to Sandman. I saw that they were coming out with a recolored, remastered editions and picked up volume 1 "Preludes & Nocturnes." I think that may be a good place to start. Highlights for me have been vol. 3 "Dream Country," vol. 4 "Season of Mist," and vol. 6 "A Game of You."

Again I would start with volume 1 and work your way up. I'm sure you could find some from your local library.

I say start with the first 2 trades. Sandman really takes a few issues to get going. I prefer the first 2 trades and then "A game of you" the most outta the series. "Season of Mist" is one I like but think it get way too attention,when there is better storylines in the series run.
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Ghost in the Shell
    Twisted Toyfare Theatre
    The Incal
    New X-Men
    Hellblazer Vol. 1
    Infinity Gauntlet
    Iron Man: Extremis
    Gotham Central
    Elephantmen
    Elephantmen vol. 1 was a CGS BOMC pick episode #551. It had the writer of the series on the episode also.

All the other choices are welcome to consider though JohnathanConstantine. Looking forward to everyone's thoughts on Weapon X.

Matthew
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Posts: 62
    So when are we gonna start discussing Weapon X? 'cause I just re-read it! :D
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Well I ordered my copy of Weapon X on Friday & got a notice this morning that it was shipping soon from IST w/ a USPS tracking number so likely first thing Monday it will ship out. So I will behind everyone else by about a week. So just hold thoughts a few days so everyone gets a chance to read it & revisit this thread in about a week. Thanks for asking warpangel.

As you see more responses from fellow readers you are open to discuss your thoughts on the book. If you go into in-depth use spoiler tags in your posts to be considerate of other readers.

Thank you & happy reading everyone.

Photobucket

Matthew
  • Options
    lol I dont even know how to 'quote' let alone put spoiler tags in. :D
  • Options
    probably best to start a new thread with Weapon X in the main title? explaining it's a discussion thread so there will be spoilers?
  • Options
    I started up a separate thread for the pick Weapon X & this thread will be for deciding what picks will be in the future among the group. Thanks for the advice warpangel.

Matthew
  • Options
    I saw that, looking forward to having a discussion about it :)
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Have we decided on one book yet? If so :-c
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Yes there is a separate thread for Weapon X. My IST order is arriving hopefully tomorrow from USPS so I will read it tomorrow night & post my thoughts Wednesday morning. Everyone is welcome to share their thoughts in the thread link provided.

The Official Weapon X thread:
    http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/315/new-proper-unofficial-discussion-of-barry-windsor-smith-weapon-x-thread#Item_2

In about three 3 weeks from now, we will decide as a group what will be the next pick (non-Marvel) DC or Indie selection.

Matthew
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263

Check your local library. I know mine has a big Wolverine hardcover that includes Weapon X along with a few other Wolverine stories like the original mini, his first appearance in Hulk and a few others.
    Great idea Mr. Moyer, I was gonna have to sit this out, but now I have hope thanks to you.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623

In about three 3 weeks from now, we will decide as a group what will be the next pick (non-Marvel) DC or Indie selection.

Matthew
    did i miss this or have we not picked a new one yet?

• Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    I would like to read Severed by Snyder or Kill Shakespeare...
  • Options
    No, Krescan I will start up the process first thing tomorrow, Tuesday for a DC or indie pick & the process will be open for 4 or 5 days unless it has overwhelming consensus of support in this thread.

Matthew
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The discussion is open for any DC (yes that includes Vertigo & Wildstorm too) or Indie comics (Dark Horse, Image, IDW, even smaller publishers can be considered -- it just has to be in print) that have not been reviewed by the Geeks previously.

Since I got the pick last month, I will only be tallying votes & vote in the case there is a tie among the top 2 or 3 final selections. Place have 5 selections ready with you & the stuff you really want at the top of your selections. The voting will last until this Friday afternoon (the 18th) 5pm CST unless there is a overwhelming vote for something. Please make it something in print from Instocktrades and/or Amazon so people can get a chance to read it.

Choice A (the most important)
    Choice B
    Choice C
    Choice D
    Choice E (the least important)

Thanks.

You may begin voting now.

Matthew
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited May 2012
    1. Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle Mystery (Vertigo)
    2. Ex Machina, Deluxe Edition (Wildstorm)
    3. King City (Image)
    4. Big Questions (Drawn and Quarterly)
    5. Severed (Image)
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    @John_Steed Are you talking about the first tpb or the first Deluxe Edition of Ex Machina?

Matthew