Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

(The) Multiversity - FINALLY!

12346»

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    So any guesses as to the mystery worlds?
  • Options

Any plans to bring the DC Cinematic universe, or the Arrow / Flash CW universe, or the Batman '66 / Wonder Woman '77 universe, or the Smallville TV universe, Milestone universe, Injustice Gods Among Us universe, or the Red Circle universe into this Multiverse?

Some of these are part of 'Convergence' (I think).

So any guesses as to the mystery worlds?

So you're seven universes you listed above, minus the two that DC doesn't have control over, Milestone and Red Circle, and then substituted with a couple others(?), could be them.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited February 2015
    Maybe they represent the mystery/supernatural comics (House Of Mystery, Tales Of The Unexpected, etc) or Vertigo?

Or the non-licensed humor titles. (Binky, Scooter, Inferior Five, etc.)
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    I'd like to see All-Star Superman, TDKR, and Watchmen. Oh, the irony of giving Alan Moore his own DC world...
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Who has braved reading the cursed comic that is Ultra Comics? It's definitely worth gambling your continued presence on this plane of existence on. Great work from Morrison and Mahnke.
  • Options
    @Brack ... As a person who has lived a lifetime of bad decisions, I of course waded right into Ultra Comics #1. LOL!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Picking my copy up this evening. Really looking forward to reading it.
  • Options
    I can't stop reading it.
  • Options
    It's like Morrison's Wake
  • Options
    And we're done. OR ARE WE?!?

I have no idea how certain parts of Multiversity #2 read to people who haven't either got a bunch of 70s JLA trivia in their heads or have been following Morrison at DC since he came back. They read great to me though.

I'm leaning towards the series as a whole as working best as a satire on comic events, and DC events in particular. There's a sequence here that explicitly satirises one of Infinite Crisis' more grotesque moments, and there's some nice metaphors how DC uses events to do things Morrison doesn't agree with.

Now to go back and re-read knowing what we now know of the real villain, and of course the inevitable 5-10 year wait before anyone does anything with the ideas in the series.
  • Options
    I liked it. I was definately excited while reading it. I plan on rereading the entire series. I'm sure many tiny connections will occur.
    Off the cuff:
    Nix Uotan is to similiar too Wotan or Odin for it not to be intentional. A sky father (notice the lighting bolt) known for his stories (Monitors live off stories). He even sports an eyepatch by the end (he traded an eye for knowledge). Nix means to disregard or disagree or stop. He is the last of his kind and got rid of all the others like him. He nixed them and then himself.
    Gentry are rulers or upperclass...people who think they are better than others. Critics, Comic Book Guy for the Simpsons, internet trolls, etc. Gentry are not royalty but nobility with power because of wealth and/or land ownership. (Lex Luthor was right. It is all about real estate) These folk are self important and have power or sway because of what they have or have been given, not because of that they create or offer.
    Empty Hand is the ultimate enemy of comics. The current state of comics; crossovers leading to crossovers (Darkest Night to Brightest Day; Trinity War to Forever Evil); events that lead to change that isn't really change (reboots and restarts) ...leaves the reader with nothing. It leaves us empty-handed. Also, empty-handed refers to not bringing anything to the table; having nothing to offer.
    Multiverse 2 could be the Post-Crisis Mutliverse (which was officially not a multiverse). It was the second DC multiverse. (It also sounds like the title to a movie sequel or comic book sequel) It was destroyed/rebooted for the New 52 which is better suited for cinematic ventures. Hardcore fans are left empty-handed (although we do like TV shows and movies...Daredevil, Winter Soldier, GotG) in the hope that more revenue will come from mass media. But, like Operation Justice Incarnate, we continue on.
    Rubics cube is a carry over from Final Crisis as well as being one of the transmatter cubes and is reminiscent of a cosmic cube.

More to come as all of you respond and add complete thoughts to the discussion.
  • Options
    This is kinda getting spoilerish, but here we go.

The Empty Hand on first glance visually resembles Neh-Buh-Loh, Morrison's version of Nebula Man from JLA Classified and Seven Soldiers. And technically also his JLA run and All-Star Superman. He was the adult form of the sentient universe Qwewq. Which was also our universe. However his design also appears to have hair now and Ultra Comics sigil. So is he Ultra Comics? And therefore, the readers too? And by extension, Morrison himself. Certainly by the end, the characters have decided that we, the readers, are the real problem. And they are coming to beat us up.
  • Options
    Are Neh-Buh-Loh and Gah-Lak-Tus cousins?
  • Options
    Brack said:

This is kinda getting spoilerish, but here we go.

The Empty Hand on first glance visually resembles Neh-Buh-Loh, Morrison's version of Nebula Man from JLA Classified and Seven Soldiers. And technically also his JLA run and All-Star Superman. He was the adult form of the sentient universe Qwewq. Which was also our universe. However his design also appears to have hair now and Ultra Comics sigil. So is he Ultra Comics? And therefore, the readers too? And by extension, Morrison himself. Certainly by the end, the characters have decided that we, the readers, are the real problem. And they are coming to beat us up.

I thought he was a Wonderworld god but didnt know his name, so I didn"t mention it. Good call. Didn't All Star Supes use the infant universe Qwewq to create "our" universe (a universe without Superman). If I recall, Neh-Buh-Loh is the adult form of Qwewq...who was created or summoned by the Hand?
  • Options
    AgitpropAgitprop Posts: 12
    Jut throwing this out there for others smarter than I to figure out what is the connection between the empty hand in Multiversity, and the hand at the beginning of the universe in classic the DCU and Crisis?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Crisis hand is a righty and multiversity is a lefty?
    Both hands are "creators".
    Crisis was suuppose to be the "hand of God". However, multiversity's is the actual comic book creators, I believe.
  • Options
    Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506
    Crisis Hand=Creator of Universes=Imagination=Divine.
    Empty Hand=Deleter/Rebooter of Universes=Incorporation=Satanic.

There's a lot more that could be said about this, of course, and interpretations may (and should) vary, but I think the basic point Morrison's making is that the constant, ever-accelerating apocalyptic cycle of continuity relaunches is starting to get in the way of good, enjoyable stories, and is therefore "devil's work." Then he goes ahead and gives us a glimpse of the "devil" (an in-story meta-manifestation of certain real-world corporate/editorial influences, one imagines) doing said work. And Empty Is His Hand.
  • Options
    Is the hand empty because they have nothing to offer or because its waiting for a wad a money to be placed there?
  • Options
    popestu said:

Crisis hand is a righty and multiversity is a lefty?
    Both hands are "creators".
    Crisis was suuppose to be the "hand of God". However, multiversity's is the actual comic book creators, I believe.

By creators, I mean the company creating the characters and stories not the individual comic book writers and artists (although some of them are high up the corporate ladder) .