Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    The Woman-Lucky Mcgee and Jack Ketchum

Just started this very short novel. But so far it was been really well done. It is the third book in Ketchum's series of novels about cannibals on the Maine coast. My only complaint is the book is barely over 200 pages but cost $15. And it's not a hardback.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    The Bone House (Book 2 of the Bright Empires series) by Stephen R. Lawhead.

• Options
    I've been rotating through subjects lately. I'm currently reading some non-fiction: The Anatomy Of Motive by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker, an analysis of the motivations of mass murderers. (A friend recommended it in light of the recent Aurora killings.) I'd just finished an anthology of furry fiction, The Ursa Major Awards Anthology, which featured the short story winners of the past decade. Before that, I'd finished rereading The Eternal Champion, the first volume in Michael Moorcock's fantasy cycle.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I just finished reading "Small Favor". It's one of the books from the Dresden Files and it was freaking awesome. A few status quo changes that was kind of unexpected and a bit sad but I really loved it and I can't wait to get the next book.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Finished up "The Woman" last night before going to sleep. I thought that the film was brutal,but the book goes way beyond that. Lots of stuff that was only hinted at in the film and described in very graphic detail in the book. I hope Ketchum and Mckee continue this storyline on.

Up next is "Tarzan Alive by Philip Jose Farmer. Read it a couple of times back when I was pretty young. And completely forgot about it till reading Planetary last year.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited August 2012
    Look who gets rich by us reading them novels :O)

The world's highest paid authors, according to Forbes

James Patterson: $94 million

Stephen King: $39 million

Janet Evanovich: $33 million

John Grisham: $26 million

Jeff Kinney, $25 million

Bill O'Reilly: $24 million

Nora Roberts: $23 million

Danielle Steel: $23 million

Suzanne Collins: $20 million

Dean Koontz: $19 million

JK Rowling: $17 million

George RR Martin: $15 million

Stephenie Meyer: $14 million

Ken Follett: $14 million

Rick Riordan: $13 million

also check out the article from the Guardian: list will look a little more female-friendly next year
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Wow, I would never have guessed that James Patterson would be at the top, and by such a wide margin.

Or that JK Rowling would be at the low end of that list. If this is just based on sales for this year, though, I suppose the Potter books are past their peak sales. I still would have thought eBook sales would have driven her higher than, say, Bill O'Reilly.
  • Options
    Finally finished that long political book I probably mentioned many pages ago, and yesterday started reading "Doctor Who And The Daleks". I loved the Doctor Who novelizations as a kid. Almost all of them are out of print, so I had to use less than legal means to acquire eBook editions of them. I'm reading them in the order they were published, and I have to say, I hope they improve. The writing is pretty bad. At first I thought maybe it was geared for children, and I should cut it some slack, but it's not that. It reads like it was dashed off in an afternoon. Lots of "He did this, then he did this, then he said this", with no attempt to go beyond just laying out the plot. I only spent 30-40 minutes reading it last night, and I'm already 1/3 of the way through.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

Wow, I would never have guessed that James Patterson would be at the top, and by such a wide margin.

I'm not entirely surprised. I haven't read any of his books, so I can't comment to their quality, but when I worked in a used bookstore some years back, his books were always popular. And he's one of the most proactive writers I've seen when it comes to publicizing his books -- I've seen him in a number of short commercial spots over the past couple of years, promoting his books. I never see any other writer doing that, outside of the usual venues of talk shows and public appearances. I think he's got a slight edge over the rest of the pack.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    New Chelsea Cain novel is out. If you havn't met Gretchen "the Beauty Killer" Lowell you need to.
  • Options

chrisw said:

I'm not entirely surprised. I haven't read any of his books, so I can't comment to their quality, but when I worked in a used bookstore some years back, his books were always popular. And he's one of the most proactive writers I've seen when it comes to publicizing his books -- I've seen him in a number of short commercial spots over the past couple of years, promoting his books. I never see any other writer doing that, outside of the usual venues of talk shows and public appearances. I think he's got a slight edge over the rest of the pack.
    At a panel 2 years ago,an author was asked about how Patterson writes so many books. "Well in the publishing industry it is no secret that all he really does is writes a 1 or 2 page outline then hands it over to another author to do."

No idea if this is true. But I have noticed on the covers of his books there is usually 2 names listed.

• Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    Anybody here read Cloud Atlas?
  • Options

chrisw said:

I've seen those commercials, and I always found them so bad that it turned me off ever reading him.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

chrisw said:

I've seen those commercials, and I always found them so bad that it turned me off ever reading him.
    But as noted by his lead in sales, those commercials haven't really hurt him any. While I don't know how much they might have helped in the grand scheme of things, putting his face out there hasn't hurt, and they do keep his name and books in the public consciousness, which is what any author needs to get his books picked up in the first place. When I was working in the bookstore, I was well aware of how many authors there were in any given genre or subset, and of how few I was actually aware of by name or reputation. Patterson, due to his ads and the customers who came in and specifically asked for his books, was one of the few I knew right away by name, even though I had never read any of his books.
  • Options
    Reading 'The Iliad' for my sophomore class, and 'To Kill a Mockingbird' for the freshman.
  • Options
    DesertHermitDesertHermit Posts: 80
    edited August 2012
    demonbear said:

Anybody here read Cloud Atlas?

Yes, and I genuinely think it's one of the best books I've ever read. It's at least the most creative and innovative. I've never read anything like it, except for maybe 'House of Leaves' by Mark Danielewski.

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Walt Disney by Neal Gabler
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    I just finished Railsea by Chine Miéville. I can't recommend this book enough. Please check it out at your earliest convenience.

Bry
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    I also read the first Dresden Files book. Not bad. I will probably read a few more from the series when I have time, but right now I have a bunch of other stuff in line ahead of them.

Bry
  • Options
    brydeemer said:

I also read the first Dresden Files book. Not bad. I will probably read a few more from the series when I have time, but right now I have a bunch of other stuff in line ahead of them.

Bry

That series takes 3 books to really get going. Also you might want to check out the Welcome to the Jungle trade. The story in it is set before the first novel.

• Options
    Just finished A Storm of Swords yesterday.

Spoiler-free review:
    Oh, snap!
  • Options
    I'm about halfway into Von Bek, the second volume of Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion cycle.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    brydeemer said:

I just finished Railsea by Chine Miéville. I can't recommend this book enough. Please check it out at your earliest convenience.

Bry

Thanks for the tip... I have it reserved at the local library.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    The original Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I've tried to pick it up once or twice in the past but usually got distracted and never got too far, but this time I'm really taking to it. A bit overwritten, maybe, but Burroughs can describe an exciting situation really well, and a way of making you accept even the most "yeahbutwha...?!?" situations as matters of fact (e.g., Tarzan teaching himself to read English without ever having heard or seen any form of human language before).
  • Options

The original Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I've tried to pick it up once or twice in the past but usually got distracted and never got too far, but this time I'm really taking to it. A bit overwritten, maybe, but Burroughs can describe an exciting situation really well, and a way of making you accept even the most "yeahbutwha...?!?" situations as matters of fact (e.g., Tarzan teaching himself to read English without ever having heard or seen any form of human language before).

I read ERB's first Tarzan novel a few years back. Started it one night at about 11pm figuring I would read for an hour or so then goto sleep. Around 4am I finished the book. The later books in the series are as good if not better than the first book.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

I read ERB's first Tarzan novel a few years back. Started it one night at about 11pm figuring I would read for an hour or so then goto sleep. Around 4am I finished the book. The later books in the series are as good if not better than the first book.

Good to know! And since they're public domain, you can download them for free. Reading this one through iBooks on my phone... prefer real books to digital, but it's hard to beat the price.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

Good to know! And since they're public domain, you can download them for free. Reading this one through iBooks on my phone... prefer real books to digital, but it's hard to beat the price.
    Some of them are public domain; not all of them. The earliest, I believe are PD, but the later books would still be copyright protected. I'm not sure which ones; it all depends on when ERB died and what the copyright laws were at that time. (Today, a copyright continues for up to 70 years after the creator's death.)

And, if I'm not mistaken, I believe all of ERB's books are still trademark protected, since trademarks don't expire so long as they are renewed -- which the ERB estate does.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

Some of them are public domain; not all of them. The earliest, I believe are PD, but the later books would still be copyright protected. I'm not sure which ones; it all depends on when ERB died and what the copyright laws were at that time. (Today, a copyright continues for up to 70 years after the creator's death.)

And, if I'm not mistaken, I believe all of ERB's books are still trademark protected, since trademarks don't expire so long as they are renewed -- which the ERB estate does.
    Yup, which is why Dynamite can publish a book about Tarzan called King of the Jungle or whatever, but cannot produce a book named Tarzan.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

I heard it is only the first 5 or 6 Tarzan novels that are public domain in the USA. But I am betting more are PD in Australia. Since their copyright laws are very different.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

I heard it is only the first 5 or 6 Tarzan novels that are public domain in the USA. But I am betting more are PD in Australia. Since their copyright laws are very different.
    Maybe. It depends. The Berne Convention that was signed in the late 70's guarantees that all of the signatories will respect and protect the copyrights of other nations; if Australia was one of the signatories, then they're obliged to respect ERB's copyrights. On the other hand, that may not necessarily apply to ERB's works since they were written long before Berne. Only a copyright attorney could say with any certainty.