Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

So far I've only read the triology (Kindle edtion on my tab) :

The First Barsoom Omnibus: A Princess of Mars; The Gods of Mars; Warlord of Mars

They are also available for free at www.gutenberg.org, since they are in the public domain.

A Princess of Mars
    Gods of Mars
    Warlord of Mars
    feedbooks has a ton of that public domain stuff.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Just finished The Red House by A.A. Milne. It is a crazy thing because it is a mystery novel written by the author of Winnie The Pooh. The only non-Winnie The Pooh book he wrote because his father was a big Mystery fan and he wanted to write him a story. I picked up a copy for my grandfather on Father's Day since he is a major mystery lover and thought it would be unique. I read it digitally. It is a competent mystery with a few really great spots but it has some pretty big stretches and flaws too. For a first effort it is done very well though.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited July 2012
    Re-reading The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. I was 17 when I read it the first time. Now nearing 45 I've been travelling to all the places and experienced many of the things depicted in the book. Except war.
  • Options
    Just got through my sixth Dresden Files book, Blood Rites. Nice to see Harry Dresden's world expanding. At this rate I'll have caught up on all thirteen books by next week. Ha!

Finally back into the rhythm of reading books regularly and looking for excuses to read instead of the flashing distractions of tv or video games. Does anyone else feel like they have accomplished something more when they have completed a book over completing a tv season?

Boy, I sound stuck up.
  • Options
    Not at all! I absolutely feel that way. Reading feels more interactive and involved than just watching tv as strictly consumption.
  • Options
    I was really nervous reading the Dreasden novel Changes because I thought,"if you are going to call the book Changes, some shit better change". And I felt like it delivered.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I was really nervous reading the Dreasden novel Changes because I thought,"if you are going to call the book Changes, some shit better change". And I felt like it delivered.
    Absolutely!

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    In the midst of all kinds of work to finish up my summer class, but I'm picking away at Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury - continuing my "Summer of Intermittent Bradbury" - when I can find the time. Luckily all of the chapters are pretty short, so I can read a little bit here and there and still feel like I'm getting complete chunks of story.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Reading like 4 books currently. One is the Wildcards novel Fort Freak. One is The wind through the keyhole,Laura Palmer's Diary a Twin peaks novel,and finally one that I can't remember the title of.
  • Options
    Dresden Files, Book Seven, Dead Beat has now been beaten to death. Three days, take that. God, I have no life. Well, tonight I start book eight, Proven Guilty. Let's see Harry get out of this one.
  • Options
    Dresden Files, Book Seven, Dead Beat has now been beaten to death. Three days, take that. God, I have no life. Well, tonight I start book eight, Proven Guilty. Let's see Harry get out of this one.
    Was Dead Beat the one with the dinosaur?

• Options
    the bad thing about reading them back to back to back is that they exist in my head as one continuous narrative rather than individual novels. so i can say, "oh! I live the one with the dinosaur", and "which one had the dinosaur?" in the same breath. L-)
  • Options
    the bad thing about reading them back to back to back is that they exist in my head as one continuous narrative rather than individual novels. so i can say, "oh! I live the one with the dinosaur", and "which one had the dinosaur?" in the same breath. L-)
    My experience as well.

I only had to wait a couple months for Ghost Story.

Of course, now I'm waiting for a release date for Cold Front...
    X(
  • Options
    tommysheroestommysheroes Posts: 174
    I just finished Grave Peril, started reading the books based on recommendations from the forum and loving them so far. The second book started to lose me a little but I am way back on board after finishing book 3.
  • Options
    My experience as well.

X(
    The sad thing is I don't remember much about Ghost Story
    :(|)
  • Options
    My experience as well.

X(
    Of all of them that is the most self explanatory. Spoilers!
  • Options
    Was Dead Beat the one with the dinosaur?

I wondered why they showed that skeleton at the beginning and guessed that it would be important and why. Glad to see I was right. Go Sue!
  • Options
    What is a little bit annoying in the continuous descriptions of characters and common places when you are reading straight through. Then I realised it wasn't about me and that is served a logical purpose... but I do enjoy Butcher's descriptions as well.
  • Options
    My experience as well.

X(
    What I mean is I remember the basic plot,but that is about it. The new one is coming out this year right?

• Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    I'm currently reading "Alpha" by Greg Rucka. It's a very fast-paced action novel. Very good.

Bry
  • Options
    My experience as well.

X(
    What I mean is I remember the basic plot,but that is about it. The new one is coming out this year right?
    No release date has been announced.
  • Options
    DavidAkersDavidAkers Posts: 44
    I have Alpha in my list, so I'm curious what you think about it, Bryan.
  • Options
    BetaRayBenBetaRayBen Posts: 50
    Just started the sci-fi novel Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Very good so far. I read his Victorian novel Drood and loved it.
  • Options
    Picked up Conan the Bold by John Maddox Roberts today for 50 cents. Local library is having it annual summer sale. Also got The Crow:Dead Time TPB for a buck. Opened it up and inside it was this sketch of a graveyard surrounded by barbed wire. Whoever drew it signed it in the bottom right corner and it looks like Richard Red.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Wrapped up Hillerman's Dance Hall of the Dead - yet another servicable Hillerman mystery set in the southwest on the Big Reservation. This time, it played a bit with Zuni culture in addition the usual Navajo culture. I've unintentionally hit on these books just prior to having taken a trip to Arizona and having the opportunity to drive through some of his settings. Pretty cool.

Currently diving into Gordon R. Dickson's Childe Cycle after uncovering a bunch of old paperbacks while going through boxes in my Dad's garage. Currently on Soldier, Ask Not. Mixed feelings so far. In general, I'm not a huge fan of Dickson, but I did enjoy Dorsai! so I figured what the heck.
  • Options
    Currently diving into Gordon R. Dickson's Childe Cycle after uncovering a bunch of old paperbacks while going through boxes in my Dad's garage. Currently on Soldier, Ask Not. Mixed feelings so far. In general, I'm not a huge fan of Dickson, but I did enjoy Dorsai! so I figured what the heck.
    I devoured those in my teens. Can't remember a thing about them.
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    I'm 75% complete and so far it's exactly what I expected from Rucka. A taught, military thriller.

Fantastic.

Bry
  • Options
    I'm 75% complete and so far it's exactly what I expected from Rucka. A taught, military thriller.

Fantastic.

Bry
    I'm really looking forward to this one.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Local library was having their summer sale. And stuff was 50% off today. Got the following for a quarter each.

Great Monsters of the moviesby Robert K. Davidson,looks like one of the many Universal monster bookfair books that I had as a kid.

Fears edited by Charles L Grant,anthology of horror short stories.

Approaching Oblivion by Harlan Ellison,Nice looking hardcover collection of Ellison short fiction. Plus it has this great 70s PURPLE dust jacket.

John Constantine Hellblazer Subterranean by John Shirley,brand new looking paperback .
  • Options
    Dresden Files book 8: Proven Guilty is now dead and burrows. Onto book 9, White Night