Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Planeis said:

Planeis said:

Just had surgery. Gonna be home for a while........

wishing you a speedy recovery :)>-
    thank you. nothing serious, just tore a tendon.
    Yikes,never tore a tendon just pulled one. And that hurt. I don't want to even know how bad a torn one would hurt.

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    finished Every Last Drop (Joe Pitt #4) by Charlie Huston and it was great (#3 was merely good). and I'm trying to wrap up The Sign of the Four by A.C. Doyle before i jump into Pitt#5 (pun intended)
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Just devoured three post-Robert Parker novels (two Jesse Stone, one Cole & Hitch).

All three were enjoyable and nicely-paced.

All three noticeably lacked Parker's verve.

Can't bring myself to try the post-Parker Spenser.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Reading 3 collections of Robert E. Howard stories. 2 are mostly Conan stories. The other is all Non-Conan stuff.
  • Options
    I hit a bump in my reading of The Eternal Champion as I don't own a copy of volume 10, The Dancers At The End Of Time. So I've moved on to volume 11, Elric: The Stealer Of Souls.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Just knocked out Sign of the Four Sherlock Holmes #2 by Arthur Conan Doyle. Good stuff.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    WetRats said:

Just devoured three post-Robert Parker novels (two Jesse Stone, one Cole & Hitch).

All three were enjoyable and nicely-paced.

All three noticeably lacked Parker's verve.

Can't bring myself to try the post-Parker Spenser.

Thanks for the review, I love Robert Parker but have stayed away from the new books
  • Options
    Reading James Pattersons Private #1Suspect, I love the pacing of these books, nice light reading
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Just had surgery. Gonna be home for a while. May have gone overboard at the library. Got a bunch of books and Our Worlds At War (Superman) and Knightfall.

Currently reading Our Worlds at War. Just finished the 8th Confession (James Patterson) and started 9th Judgement (Patterson again).

Really need to start on some books I got for Christmas like a history of James Bond and some Woodward books about Pres. Obama.

Just finished 1st to Die from Patterson, really enjoyed it, was told by my sister to read them in order so 2nd Chance is in the to read pile
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I love a good Patterson book. Such quick, light, entertaining reads. I highly recommend the Michael Bennett series. Fun stuff.
  • Options
    Currently working through a HP Lovecraft collection I have. On Herbert West: Reanimater at the moment. Such a great writer and a huge influence on a lot of modern writers in so many mediums its unbelievable.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    JamieD said:

Reading James Pattersons Private #1Suspect, I love the pacing of these books, nice light reading

Just finished Private and 10th Anniversary. I was off work for two weeks and I plowed through 8, 9, 10 of the womens murder club series. I enjoy it very much. Its cheap, but thats ok. Youre in for some good ones. I also read Private #1 suspect a few weeks ago, which I wrongly assumed was the first of that new series. Oh well.

Back at work now, so my reading is gonna go back down to a normal pace. Also just started playing Arkham City, which i got back in July. Right now Im reading A Song of Ice and Fire part 3 and a book about the James Bond movies, License to Thrill.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    luke52 said:

Currently working through a HP Lovecraft collection I have. On Herbert West: Reanimater at the moment. Such a great writer and a huge influence on a lot of modern writers in so many mediums its unbelievable.

I finished a Kindle collection of his complete fiction and poetry last year. I enjoyed most of it, although with complete collections like that you inevitably come across a few clunkers (and I'd say that applies to just about any writer, I'm not picking on Lovecraft). I could easily go back and reread much of it though. I think my favorite is The Shadow Over Innsmouth.
  • Options
    Just finished the Logan's Run trilogy... pretty good stuff... I still pictured everyone with 70's disco clothing and hair, tho.

Also have been reading some non fiction... about Scientology.

Just starting to read Miracle Monday by Eliot S! Maggin... a Superman novel from the late 70's /early 80's.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    Tonebone said:

Tonebone, how's the Scientology stuff? Good reading?

• Options
    WetRats said:

The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett

just finished The DayLight War..... Arrgh! A book good enough to leave you satisfied but wanting more is tough to do.. Waiting of Brent Weeks' Prism series to continue as well.. Nothing else until Memory of Light comes on digital is peaking my interest...

• Options
    Just finished reading The Black Ice by Michael Connelly - in the process of investigating the death of another police officer, LAPD Detective Harry Bosch travels from Los Angeles to Mexicali

I was very entertained and look forward to reading more of this series. I especially liked the tone of writing and the main character.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Decided to go with Ian C. Esslemont's Orb, Sceptre, Throne. It's one of ICE's contributions to the world of the Malazan Book of the Fallen whic is, I understand, a world that they collectively created, but that has mostly been (publicly) developed in the Steve Erikson series. Erikson's books have been a bit uneven at times (though I like far, far more about them than I dislike). Orb... may be revisiting some things a bit too late in the game. It's been a long time, book-wise, since we've been to this particular part of the world so it's taking me a bit longer that I would care for to catch up with all of the characters.
  • Options
    Dman said:

Tonebone said:

Tonebone, how's the Scientology stuff? Good reading?

Yeah.. I've read Church of Fear by John Sweeny, and Going Clear by Lawrence Wright. The Sweeny book is about his making of a documentary for the BBC, but the one I really recommend is Going Clear, all about Hubbard, the church, and the Hollywood connection.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Wrapped up Orb, Sceptre, Throne last week. I enjoyed it, though I'm not entirely sure where the Esslemont books are going. Erikson's main series absolutely had a progression from Gardens of the Moon through to The Crippled God. Esslemonts books have all definitely built on seeds that Erikson left throughout his series, but I'm not sure if they actually advance the overall narrative or simply fill in gaps about other parts of the world as a whole. It continues to have huge scale action consistent with the previous books, but felt a bit... off?
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Started but eventually gave up on Lost in a Good Book, the second Thursday Next book by Jasper Fforde. I enjoyed the first book in the series, The Eyre Affair, but everything that made that book feel clever and original seemed like it was reiterated whole cloth here, and that made it all feel really labored. Pun-based literary metacommentary can only take you so far, you know? Plus I was over a quarter of the way into the book and it still felt like it was just getting started. My patience ran out.
  • Options
    Just ripped through the latest Bernard Cornwell (1356). Great as always.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I think I've read more in the last 2 months than I did all of last year
    Wyrd Sisters - Terry Prachett (I've only read two of his books but they have been fun)
    Gathering Storm & Fool's Moon - Jim Butcher (I decided to try the Dresdin files and blew threw the first two books)
    The Last Good Kiss - James Crumley (it was great)
    Rum Punch - Elmor Leonard (this is a solid read, Jackie Brown did the book justice)
  • Options
    Finally getting around to reading Gaiman's American Gods. I only got a couple hours of sleep before work because it turned out to be a much more compelling read than I anticipated...and every drowsy minute at work was worth it.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Wyrd Sisters - Terry Prachett (I've only read two of his books but they have been fun)
    Gathering Storm & Fool's Moon - Jim Butcher (I decided to try the Dresdin files and blew threw the first two books)
    Rum Punch - Elmor Leonard (this is a solid read, Jackie Brown did the book justice)

Pratchett, Butcher & Leonard are three of my favorites.

I'll need to check out Crumley based on the company he keeps.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited March 2013

The Last Good Kiss was the best book I've read this year. It's little hard to decribe, but it's about a PI, a drunk writer, and an alcoholic bulldog named Fireball Roberts on a job to find a missing girl. It really is a great book. Here's the opening sentence:
    When I finally caught up with Abraham Trahearne, he was drinking beer with an alcoholic bulldog named Fireball Roberts in a ramshackle joint just outside of Sonoma, California, drinking the heart right out of a fine spring afternoon.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

The Last Good Kiss was the best book I've read this year. It's little hard to decribe, but it's about a PI, a drunk writer, and an alcoholic bulldog named Fireball Roberts on a job to find a missing girl. It really is a great book. Here's the opening sentence:
    When I finally caught up with Abraham Trahearne, he was drinking beer with an alcoholic bulldog named Fireball Roberts in a ramshackle joint just outside of Sonoma, California, drinking the heart right out of a fine spring afternoon.

Sold!

I just requested it from my library.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

If you're into Pratchett check out the below link, bbc are currently airing an audio drama called Eric...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r0zb9
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Awesome - thanks for the link @luke52 B-)
  • Options
    luke52 said:

If you're into Pratchett check out the below link, bbc are currently airing an audio drama called Eric...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r0zb9

If you're a Pratchett fan and an iOS user, don't miss the interactive Ankh-Morpork app.